PDA

View Full Version : Septic Tank Problem

stekar
04-Oct-05, 09:38
Can anyone please tell me who to contact regarding a problem with our tank? Tried SEPA website but couldn't find anything about maintence/repair. :confused

Mr P Cannop
04-Oct-05, 09:53
try highland council

Bill Fernie
04-Oct-05, 10:07
Depends on the problem

If the tank is full and overflwoing it may need emptying in which case contact the service points of Highalnd Council. There is charge to have your tank emptied.

If you have blockage then it might need rods to push out the blockage. If you have them or can borrow thm then they can often fix the problem. If the tank is full however no amount of pushing will fix it. Do you have trap in between the house and the tank. If so lift th ehatch and if it is full then either the main tank is full or there is blockage.

The council will not deall with a blockage unless they are out to empty the tank . Otherwise contact a plumbing firm to see if they will take a look. Ask how much they charge first.

I bought a set of rods many years ago to deal with the occasional problem with our own septic tank. They are available for purchase at Allan's of Gillock. Not needed them too often but handy to have when you do.

Naefearjustbeer
04-Oct-05, 10:56
The paperwork we got when we got our septic tank emptyed said they would not unblock it without adding an extra charge :eek: I bought my own rods and they are not needed very often but it was still cheaper than paying someone else to rod the drains for us. Just remember a boilersuit and a pair of rubber gloves :p If I remember correctly the charge for a one off emty is about £165 or you can set up a contract to have it emptyed on a reglar basis such as annually or bi-annually or longer(depends on the size of your tank) for about £100 a time. These prices might have changed as it was a couple of years ago we set it up. Also I think the council told us to contact scottish water to get it done.

stekar
04-Oct-05, 20:35
Thanks for the replies :)

We've just bought the house, and apparently the tank was emptied May/June time, but it is full, as is the pipe leading to it and the garden is drenched where the waste comes out of the house.

Bought some drain rods and it subsided a bit, but think the problem is the bit that should go to the reed bed. Been digging the garden up, but can't find this pipe or where the reed bed is. :confused

daviddd
04-Oct-05, 21:15
You need Scottish Water - 0845 6018855!