PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrisy, role models and drugs

Rheghead
03-Oct-05, 23:09
I have just watched a documentary on TV about Kate Moss and her drug fuelled lifestyle. Not once did anyone on the programme condemn her for taking drugs, not once did they say that drug taking was bad.

Yet all agreed that she was a role model for young girls up and down the country. The police are not going to investigate her crimes. And still all on the programme wished her a speedy recovery back into the limelight.

I wonder if a role model for kids, like a teacher, would be treated the same by their peers and have the same immunity from public prosecution? Lets bare in mind that a teacher will only influence a fraction of the kids that Kate Moss will.

I say she should be prosecuted and never appear in public again.

Hypocrisy on a grand scale [disgust]

golach
03-Oct-05, 23:36
I'm with you on this one ....I say Jail her, any body that snorts, sticks needles into themselves or pops any thing worse than a paracetamol should be prosecuted all the way

gleeber
04-Oct-05, 00:11
I dont think kids are as stupid as Rheghead is suggesting nor do I think Golachs comments are helpful in any way.
Both Rheghead and Golach seem to live in a world of moral superiority compared to thousands maybe millions of other people.
Its not that long ago that Rheghead himself instigated a thread on Caithness.org extolling the virtues of a drug that will kill another 5 people in Scotland tomorrow as it did today, just like yesterday, not to mention how many others it will maime and wound in its romantic wake. Golach is no stranger either to extolling the virtues of this same drug.
On your bikes chaps hypocrasy is too good a word to describe your actions and thoughts.
If either of you have anything helpful to say about how to change the world PM me in case some poor unsuspecting child reads your comments and becomes infected by similar thoughts.

Rheghead
04-Oct-05, 00:38
I dont think kids are as stupid as Rheghead is suggesting
I think some kids are as stupid as that and those are the ones who fall down in society.

Both Rheghead and Golach seem to live in a world of moral superiority compared to thousands maybe millions of other people.
If you are talking about the millions of people who steal, maim, molest kids, rape and damage property then yes, you have got me, I do think I am morally superior to them.

Its not that long ago that Rheghead himself instigated a thread on Caithness.org extolling the virtues of a drug that will kill another 5 people in Scotland tomorrow as it did today, just like yesterday, not to mention how many others it will maime and wound in its romantic wake. Golach is no stranger either to extolling the virtues of this same drug.
That is not illegal.

On your bikes chaps hypocrasy is too good a word to describe your actions and thoughts.
If either of you have anything helpful to say about how to change the world PM me in case some poor unsuspecting child reads your comments and becomes infected by similar thoughts.
If you condone or fail to condemn drug taking then you are the one that is morally corrupt.

cullbucket
04-Oct-05, 07:39
If you condone or fail to condemn drug taking then you are the one that is morally corrupt.

Sounds like George Bush "You're either with us or against us"

I think that there are shades of gray in every case, plenty of people enjoy a wee smoke or a something a bit stronger at the weekend but go on to live normal functional lives monday to friday. These folk often just grow out of drug taking just as your drinking will slow down as you go from being a teenager through your twenties and into your thirties and later. I fully expect my 2 year old will try a smoke of weed when she is older, (just like 57% of UK university students, Bill Clinton and the late Mo Mowlam - god bless her)
I will make sure she knows what the dangers are, just like with drink.

Guess I'm morally corrupt but at least I'm not sticking my head in the sand shouting about prosecuting any and all drug users.....

golach
04-Oct-05, 09:24
I dont think kids are as stupid as Rheghead is suggesting nor do I think Golachs comments are helpful in any way.
Gleeber, oh Gleeber,
I agree with Rheghead AGAIN, OMG twice in one theme, as stated by my learned friend, what we were extolling was the partaking of a wee drink to aid the digestion which has been going on since man trod on his first grape. I have noticed more than once that you have been on the side of the poor hard done by and much misaligned drug users,as a former Excise Officer who job it was to uphold the LAW, i.e. catch drug smugglers, I have seen the black side of the use of Drugs, and also living in a Capital City, I am subjected to the aftermath of the use of drugs,i.e. the muggings of OAP's and petty theft that is rife in the city. Are you advocating that side of the Druggies?
All I was infering is that the model, was caught taking part in an illegal act and as she is a peer figure to many youngsters, she should suffer the full weight of the law.
Oh yes taking too much alcohol is bad for your health also, but how many alcoholics have you heard of that murder and main, most crimes are commited whilst under the inffluence of DRUGS.
You state the 5 Scots will die today because of alcohol, how many will die with a needle stuck in their arm in a public toilet.

fred
04-Oct-05, 10:15
Oh yes taking too much alcohol is bad for your health also, but how many alcoholics have you heard of that murder and main, most crimes are commited whilst under the inffluence of DRUGS.

Didn't they have the same problem in thirties America when alcohol was illegal? Wasn't alcohol asociated with crime, murder, gangters? Didn't alcohol related deaths rocket as there was no control over the quality of the drink?

Everything you say about drugs now would apply equally to alcohol if it were illegal which makes me wonder if it is the drug that is the problem or if it is the law.

As for the affects of the drugs are you claiming that the illegal drugs make people more violent than alcohol does? A trip to the A&E of any large hospital on a Saturday night would prove you wrong on that one, I think you would find that very few people smoke a couple of joints then stick a glass in someones face. Alcohol probably makes people more agressive than any other drug.

Rheghead
04-Oct-05, 10:54
Alcohol probably makes people more agressive than any other drug.

In my own personal experience, alcohol makes me moe sociable then makes me more fatigued if I have too much. Never has it made me aggressive (quite the opposite in fact).

I don't think alcohol makes anyone aggressive, the aggression is already there in certain people, the alcohol just makes people lose the inhibition to show their aggression.

Gleeber, you say that 5 people a day die from alcohol, well approx 2000 people die a day in Scotland alone. I am surprised that alcohol is responsible for so little deaths. :eek:

The thing with booze is that it takes a wee whiley to get addicted whilst taking cocaine once could get you hooked. Hardly a comparison of like with like.

cullbucket
04-Oct-05, 11:25
The thing with booze is that it takes a wee whiley to get addicted whilst taking cocaine once could get you hooked. Hardly a comparison of like with like.

Where did you get that from? - the US drug propaganda films of the 1950s like "reefer madness"

scotsboy
04-Oct-05, 11:31
The hypocrisy in this case lies with the press and the fashion industry, where recreational use of drugs is endemic. Kate Moss’s “crime” seems to be that she was caught on camera – it would be interesting to know who took the pictures and how they went about trying to cash in on them.
There seem to be a lot of people on here preaching the moral high ground and pontificating about the addictive capacity of different types of drug, now I am no angel and I admit to having tried one or two things that aren’t strictly legal, but as far as I can see Kate Moss was a victim of circumstance. By this act she has done nothing to corrupt society – the media and fashion industry will and have ruined more lives that she ever will.
I also find the legal/illegal safe of the argument a bit of a laugh as well – oh, she was taking drugs that’s illegal? (Actually I would like clarification on that point as I am ignorant of the law – is taking drugs illegal? I know that possession and supply are illegal but don’t know about consumption), and the moral outrage. Then we get these OAPs who don’t pay their council tax (illegal) and they are hero worshipped. As was pointed out earlier there are shades of gray and not everything is black and white.
Of course the drug trade is evil, but as Fred pointed out Alcohol attracted the same elements in its supply during prohibition.
For me it is a total non story, and any time that the police have wasted on “investigating” it so far is a bigger crime.

Donnie
04-Oct-05, 11:36

That statement in grossly inaccurate. If you checked the figures you'd find the statistics show the opposite to be true. If you do decide to check you might also be interested to see the strain alcohol related incidents have on the nhs compared to drug related incidents.

gleeber
04-Oct-05, 11:48
Your right about the responsibility of the press in the Kate Moss fiasco Scotsboy. Theres some wierd idea fostered by the press barons that its in our interests to know about these things but then the moral high grounders point the finger at another victim rather than the person who decided it was in our interest to see Kate Moss doing something extremely stupid.
I hate drugs of all kinds Rheghead but how could I condemn Kate Moss when you openly advocate another dangerous drug because its legal? Does that answer your question?
I have no defence aagainst people who claim alcohol does not cause aggression and use some sort of perverted humour to gloss over the fact that ONLY 5 people will die from alcohol consumption in Scotland today.
My heart goes out to the thousands of innocent children who are sitting in school just now not knowing if mum or dad will be sober when they get home. The thousands of husbands and wives whose hearts are in their mouths at the moment concerning their partners drinking.
And these two moral cowboys, one an ex customs officer and the other an ex-policeman have the neck to say its ok because its legal.
My heart also goes out to the thousands of kids and adults affected by the illegal drug taking of members of their families.
Rhegheads right about one thing but only 1. Drug taking is a symptom of the problem. Our attitudes are also a symptom.
Attitudes displayed by these two cowboys (Rheghead and my old (ex ;) ) mate Golach) in my opinion are as dangerous to society as are the very people and substances they both embrace and condemn. Kids can see through hypocrisy fairly easily. Dad sitting with a wee drink in his hand whilst condemning someone elses kids for taking drugs is a crime in my book whether its legal or not.

DrSzin
04-Oct-05, 13:55
Gleeber, you say that 5 people a day die from alcohol, well approx 2000 people die a day in Scotland alone. I am surprised that alcohol is responsible for so little deaths. :eek:
I think your estimate is an order of magnitude too large. I make it about 200.

Unless 4% of the population dies every day in your neck of the woods. ;)

Donnie
04-Oct-05, 13:58

You might want to check your working.

Rheghead
04-Oct-05, 14:12

oops, I must get some light in here for my calculator. Still 5 out of 200, 2.5% is not a lot considering we have a reputation for being a boozing nation. I wonder if Columbia can claim such low statistics for their drug related deaths?

I reckon if we had cocaine and heroine being sold in every supermarket and pub then deaths would be near on 20000 deaths a day.

That is why I never take anyone seriously who compares the problems with booze with those with drugs.

DrSzin
04-Oct-05, 14:16

You might want to check your working.
Whoops, I interpreted 0.04 as a faction, but it was a percentage. :eyes
0.04% is not so obviously wrong.

I still get 200 for the number of deaths per day though.

golach
04-Oct-05, 14:32
I hate drugs of all kinds Rheghead but how could I condemn Kate Moss when you openly advocate another dangerous drug because its legal? Does that answer your question?

My heart goes out to the thousands of innocent children who are sitting in school just now not knowing if mum or dad will be sober when they get home. The thousands of husbands and wives whose hearts are in their mouths at the moment concerning their partners drinking.
And these two moral cowboys, one an ex customs officer and the other an ex-policeman have the neck to say its ok because its legal.

Rhegheads right about one thing but only 1. Drug taking is a symptom of the problem. Our attitudes are also a symptom.
Attitudes displayed by these two cowboys (Rheghead and my old (ex ;) ) mate Golach) in my opinion are as dangerous to society as are the very people and substances they both embrace and condemn. Kids can see through hypocrisy fairly easily. Dad sitting with a wee drink in his hand whilst condemning someone elses kids for taking drugs is a crime in my book whether its legal or not.
Gleeber, just because I dont agree with your liberal way of thinking should not stop us being mates.
I resent being called a cowboy, I considered myself to have been a professional, I enjoyed doing my job as an exciseman, and I especially enjoyed catching Drug smugglers along wi the odd bootlegger.
This is the first post I have actually seen you condem the effects of drugs on kids, I have seen you conden the demon drink on more that one occasion.

hereboy
04-Oct-05, 14:49
maybe its just me but has anyone noticed how good Kate Moss is looking these days compared to her waif like image that adorned the the print and screen media when she first became a supermodel? She looked decidely unhealthy back than but she appears to have matured and filled out a bit since ...

maybe its the "munchies" that has made her look healthier - if so then a wee bit of recreational drug use has a had a more positive effect on Miss Moss than the days of living off chain smoking and eating tissues.

The real problem with Kate Moss is her choice of boyfriend - he is a junkie - and is a bad influence on her when it comes to keeping her recreational drug use just that.

Come on Kate, bin the waster- and if you read this, you can pm me any time... ;)

Rheghead
04-Oct-05, 15:15
I hate drugs of all kinds Rheghead but how could I condemn Kate Moss when you openly advocate another dangerous drug because its legal? .

Because attacking me and Golach for being hypocrites is counter productive and actually doesn't achieve anything. If you agreed with us then you may actually help to maintain the socially unacceptableness of hard addictive drugs and you may actually prevent the loss of a life.

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 15:29
The vast majority of drug squad officers that I have come across in busy London nicks are often the first to agree that current legislation and the so called "war on drugs" is simply not working. Interestingly enough they are generally often the first to agree that there could be some merit in legalising all drugs.

Net result - property crimes go down, no need for dealers either, state controlled drugs are consistent in quality and not cut with rat poison or what have you and the state can also monitor and assist users if they wish to come of drugs.

Naturally there is a wider political picture regarding the supporting of cash crops and other countries but that another story.

Anyway I just thought I’d just throw that one in since clamouring for incarceration for anyone who has taken drugs in the past really does seem to fail to address the issue in any constructive and sensible manner – Take that concept to its natural conclusion and there will be very few users seeking help in order to stop misusing drugs. Maybe that is why it is not a specific offence?

scotsboy
04-Oct-05, 15:52
I have just watched the video of the "incident" obviously someone she knew and trusted took the video and stitched her up.

Donnie
04-Oct-05, 16:07
The vast majority of drug squad officers that I have come across in busy London nicks are often the first to agree that current legislation and the so called "war on drugs" is simply not working. Interestingly enough they are generally often the first to agree that there could be some merit in legalising all drugs.

I'd really hate to see the affect that would have on immigration, it would be an open invite to the world's junkies.

dpw39
04-Oct-05, 16:45
A pinch of snuff - is what this thread should be taken with.

I think it was the great ( :( ) Frank Zappa who mentioned that " a drug is neither moral nor immoral; it's just a compound - the compound itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if consumption bestowed a temporary licence to act like an Arsehole!" [sorry about the last word Colin, just completing the quote].

I agree that prominent people in society, who others look towards for guidance, fashion, political belief's etc [et all], should be penalised for their actions. We as human beings have a personal responsibility to ourselves as well as others, with regards to our actions when under the influence of whatever drug of their choice is (coffee & tea included). It would seem that we are selective in our predjudicies, as we allow politicians to get away with mistrustful behaviour etc etc, but a fashion icon would seem to have a more percieved threat effect of corrupting our children as opposed to politicians manipulating our freedoms.

I appreciate that there will be some of Rheghead's children (not litterally) who will be susceptable to that effect, but surely this is where parental controls kick in (sic).

Darwin would shudder in his grave :lol:

Ciao,

Dave the Rave[b] :cool:

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 16:53
Maybe see...

Police want to supply free heroin
By David Bamber, Home Affairs Correspondent

Link to the full article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/displayPrintable.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2001%2F12%2F0 9%2Fndrug09.xml&site=5

Edited to correct URL

fred
04-Oct-05, 18:27

No, ordinary cocain isn't all that adictive, it's crack cocain that's as adictive as nicotine.

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 18:39
This link to a site on addiction maybe of use - http://www.needle.co.nz/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/30

fred
04-Oct-05, 19:11
I reckon if we had cocaine and heroine being sold in every supermarket and pub then deaths would be near on 20000 deaths a day.

That is why I never take anyone seriously who compares the problems with booze with those with drugs.

I don't know that drugs like heroin and cocain should ever be allowed to be sold commercially again, that's what caused the problem when they were legal, unscrupulous business men putting them into patent medicines to increase their sales.

But if heroin were legal then there would be considerably less deaths than there are now. Heroin isn't easy to overdose on unless you're trying, a user builds up a tolerance and can take large amounts safely. The biggest killers are when someone has been off heroin for a while and tries to start again where they left off, such as after a stay in prison, and impure heroin.

Rheghead
04-Oct-05, 19:27
Well from what I understand about it, is that because of the tolerance, users then need to take more to get the same kick. Therefore the liver has to do more so eventually it packs in altogether.

golach
04-Oct-05, 19:42

I don't know that drugs like heroin and cocain should ever be allowed to be sold commercially again, that's what caused the problem when they were legal, unscrupulous business men putting them into patent medicines to increase their sales.

But if heroin were legal then there would be considerably less deaths than there are now. Heroin isn't easy to overdose on unless you're trying, a user builds up a tolerance and can take large amounts safely. The biggest killers are when someone has been off heroin for a while and tries to start again where they left off, such as after a stay in prison, and impure heroin.

So Fred your are advocating the use of Class A drugs? Well that explains a lot

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 20:10
Goloch, do you have any views on this? http://eddie.gn.apc.org/index.php?pID=1

golach
04-Oct-05, 20:36
Sandtiger, Interesting I'll give you that, but he is one well educated man and from what I have scanned quickly I see he seems to be saying legalise Cannabis, but no mention of all the other illeagal substances, the stuff I would call hard, the Class A drugs. That is what I am condeming. Therefore if Kate was caught using Cocaine, take her all the way. Leagalise Real Ale!!!!!!!!

hereboy
04-Oct-05, 20:37
I say she should be prosecuted and never appear in public again.

Hypocrisy on a grand scale [disgust]

I'll tell you what Hypocrisy on a grand scale is...

The companies and ad agencies that have dropped her because of this video circulating - thats hypocrisy right there.

Everyone knows that advertising agencies and professionals in the fashion world all do "charlie" like its going out of fashion... (except its not - its very much in fashion). Just because they do it behind closed doors at fancy parties and such, poor Kate becomes the public fall guy.

Thats terrible... and she needs a new boyfriend- Kate... still waiting for the pm. :roll:

George Brims
04-Oct-05, 20:46
One thing no-one in this thread has asked, amid all the debate over legalising various drugs, is this: Is Kate Moss a role model? How many people would really give a hoot whether this woman takes drugs or not? I mean there might be some young girls out there who aspire to careers in the fashion world who might have role models in mind, but surely there are a whole lot more impossibly skinny women to emulate who aren't widely known or suspected of using blow to stay that way?

fred
04-Oct-05, 20:47
Well from what I understand about it, is that because of the tolerance, users then need to take more to get the same kick. Therefore the liver has to do more so eventually it packs in altogether.

I'm not a doctor but I don't think that the effects of heroin diminish too much with use, in practice adicts don't tend to keep on taking more and more. Morphine and coedine are in common use in medicine, sometimes for long periods and I don't think doctors need to keep upping the dosage to get the same affect.

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 20:56
Sandtiger, Interesting I'll give you that, but he is one well educated man and from what I have scanned quickly I see he seems to be saying legalise Cannabis, but no mention of all the other illeagal substances, the stuff I would call hard, the Class A drugs. That is what I am condeming. Therefore if Kate was caught using Cocaine, take her all the way. Leagalise Real Ale!!!!!!!!

He's defiantly on about class A's golach - Take a mo to read it along with the link I posted above to a Telegraph article about ACPO wanting to give out free heroin to users.

As for cannabis it’s as good as legal in England & Wales having recently been reclassified to class C.

hereboy
04-Oct-05, 21:02
my favourite part of this topic is reading the postings with well reasoned arguments one way or the other by people who frequent this board and dip in and out of debates regularly imparting their wisdom yet in this case showing how "with it" they are by being unable to resist using euphemisms for the old peruvian marching powder.

In the words of Britney Spears (role model to millions) - Oops I did it again!

fred
04-Oct-05, 21:10
So Fred your are advocating the use of Class A drugs? Well that explains a lot

Well my opinions on drugs are very similar to my opinions on wars. I don't think we can have peace by feeding the public a load of lies then sending in hundreds of thousands of heavily armed troops to shoot people and I don't think we can beat drugs by demonising drug users,
feeding the public a load of lies and saying "lock em up and throw away the key".

If you call not agreeing with methods that create more and more adicts every day and kill more and more people every day advocating the use of class A drugs then I must do.

Let's face it, prohibition isn't working is it? It didn't work with drink in thirties America and it isn't working with drugs now.

Jeid
04-Oct-05, 21:17
i ain't so sure she should be penalised for her action. jail? yeah... great idea. our jails are laden with about as much drugs as our streets. an old friend of mine just went to jail and his stories about jail are appearing on the internet every week. it amazes me how much drugs there are in there.

people look to Kate Moss for fashion guidance.... not how to run their life. the fact that she's being dropped from half the companies she works for and having her private life out in the media is punishment enough. would anyone here like that? i think not. she's doing something about her problems and good on her. people are forgetting whats coming good from her being caught. people see the bad too much. she's going to rehab. has anybody applauded her for trying to sort herself out? i don't see anything about that(although i did get bored by the statistic war on the first page, so i skipped a lot of posts)

Her boyfriend is a junkie, perhaps Kate Moss getting clean might save one of the UK's up and coming rock stars. look at the pluses. kids(if they even care about Kate Moss) will look at the mistakes she's made and the changes she's made to better herself. some people ain't sensible enough to get help.

As for the drink vs drugs thing that went on. sure, drink is just as bad.

a man goes to the pub, drink 6pints of beer, goes home, beats his wife up(think deeper than the fact he's just beat his wife, think of the long term effects on the family, assuming kids were involved)

a man puts a needle in his arm, he steals a stereo from a car/mugs an old woman.(compare this to the above example)

which is worse?

i'd say the drink related crime is worse.(but our opinions are our own). which crime is most likely to go unreported? the drink related crime. a drug user fills his or her habit by stealing. if the government did more to help these people, then the problem would probably lessen. if they tried to sort them out whilst in jail, instead of feeding their habit daily, then maybe, just maybe, these people would have a chance at normal life.

drink can make people more sociable, but go out any saturday night in any town or city, and you can see that for a lot of people, it can make them more aggressive. i see it week in and week out. using yourself as an example(whoever said it) is hardly a great statistic is it? everyone is more sociable with drink. not everyone has control when they drink.

i don't really care that Kate Moss takes drugs, like i'm sure she doesn't care that you think she's a junkie. why some people think they have the right to say how people should or shouldn't be leading their lives is beyond me. is anyone on this messageboard in the media spotlight? is anyone on this board being offered drugs on a daily basis? is anyone one this board a "role model"??? no? didn't think so. nobody can comment on how any celeb should be leading their life until they are in that position themselves.

Rheghead
04-Oct-05, 21:18
Let's face it, prohibition isn't working is it? It didn't work with drink in thirties America and it isn't working with drugs now.

Isn't it?

I haven't seen many drug crazed loonies running round Caithness lately. I have seen a few drunken Caithnessians though, imagine mad friday would be like if hard drugs were legalised.

Would you like kids being taught by teachers on heroine?

fred
04-Oct-05, 21:30
As for cannabis it’s as good as legal in England & Wales having recently been reclassified to class C.

I'm against the legalisation of cannabis, I think that would be a big mistake.

As I see it young people always rebel against society, always have and always will, they need to be outlaws and they need to be rebels so given that they are going to rebel anyway then it's better that they do it safely laid on a water bed listening to Pink Floyd rather than going off and joining Al Qaeda or something.

There's no one more screwed up than a rebel without a cause, they tend to self destruct and the Legalise Canabis Campaign is a good cause for them, gives them a reason to be, a good just cause to fight for and they can go off and get lots of healthy exercise and fresh air marching and protesting and things.

Apart from that legalising cannabis would probably be the death of it, the government would put all the dealers out of business then tax cannabis off the market.

hereboy
04-Oct-05, 21:31

I'll tell you what I would like to teach,

"I'd like to teach the world to sing, in per-fect har-mon-y..."

oh, sorry rheghead, wrong coke...!

PS. Kate, its "hereboy" if you are having trouble with the pm.

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 21:42

Depends if they can spell :lol:

Ahem, sorry mate :D

SandTiger
04-Oct-05, 21:51
... anyway then it's better that they do it safely laid on a water bed listening to Pink Floyd rather than going off and joining Al Qaeda or something.

I want some of what your on mate :lol:

Nowt safe about listening to Pink Floyd or even rebellious for that matter ;)

jabee
04-Oct-05, 21:53
I'm with you on this one ....I say Jail her, any body that snorts, sticks needles into themselves or pops any thing worse than a paracetamol should be prosecuted all the way

Has anyone considered that being addicted to 'class A' drugs is an illness and should be treat as such, rather than use the 'lock em up' approach.
Is it not interesting that the so called 'drugs tsars' are from the establishment (police and the like). Why not approach these issues with compassion rather than condemnation?
Do we condemn alcoholics in the same way?

gleeber
05-Oct-05, 08:02
Golach It doesnt surprise me that I havnt condemned drugs before although I remember a similar moral outburst from yourself against people who, like yourself, enjoy a wee trip into la la land albeit using a different method. Thats not what this is about. It was about hypocrisy, role models and drugs. My original post was about exposing hypocrisy in people who are totally oblivious to it in their make up but strangely enough can see it in others. :eek:
I leave the forum to decide who are the hypocrits, who advocate the use of dangerous drugs, and therefore who should not be taken seriously as role models for our children. :~(

frank ward
05-Oct-05, 09:52
Previous correspondents are confusing/mistaking the legalisation of some drugs with their commercial sale.
Some years ago the Scottish Socialist Party advocated that cocain, heroin etc should be made available ON PRESCRIPTION to addicts. This is intended to break the link between addiction and the crime it causes, and a major reason for the massive growth of drug-related crime (now estimated at 80% of all crime) and the criminal gangs that prosper under the current system. It has never been suggested that you could just walk into Boots and buy a gramme.
The SSP also recognised that decriminalising some 'soft' drugs was the best way to break the link between casual use of cannabis and the darker elements usually supplied from the same criminal sources.
The SSP came to its conclusion after consultations with those directly involved with drug abuse - users, self-help groups, drug abuse workers etc.

At the time the SSP was ridiculed and villified by everyone, especially Labour and the Tories, but now a few years later the common sense of this is reflected by many other politicians, policemen etc.

The simple fact is that the current 'war on drugs' has been a complete flop and getting worse. It may make some politicians look tough and appear to be morally pure, pandering to the gutter press, but in reality it is condemning thousands more youngsters to a miserable life every year.