PDA

View Full Version : wick street party

caroline_glasgow
01-Jan-08, 13:04
well got to say i thought it was a shambles!

3 minutes past midnight and we were still waiting!

bands were good, really good talent in there!

never mind always next year again!!!!!

evelyn
01-Jan-08, 13:20
Splitting hairs here I think Caroline. I can't see what difference a couple of minutes made....if that was the case.
Looked like most people were out enjoying themselves regardless.
Mibbe you should offer your services on the committee next year.
evelyn

caroline_glasgow
01-Jan-08, 13:24
splitting hairs???

nah dont think so

got to disagree, a couple of mins make a huge difference in, what I personally think is one of the most important nights of the year for me.

Join commitee? yeah i actually would enjoy something like that, will look into it. However I think that was the main problem, too many people up on stage. just like too many cooks....etc

RicardoR
01-Jan-08, 13:29
To be honest with you I cant see what your moaning about. New year is nothing special at all.. on the news it said London is paying 1 million pounds PER minute for the fireworks.. its going on for 11 minutes, surely they can find something better to do with 1.1 million?

People make too big a fuss about Christmas and New Year..

botheed
01-Jan-08, 13:38
To be honest with you I cant see what your moaning about. New year is nothing special at all.. on the news it said London is paying 1 million pounds PER minute for the fireworks.. its going on for 11 minutes, surely they can find something better to do with 1.1 million?

People make too big a fuss about Christmas and New Year..yes i agree. money could be spent on the poor of our country and the folkes with no homes and on the street

sam
01-Jan-08, 13:48
Personally i dont see what the problem is either,:roll: what does a few minutes matter as long as we have our health and our families are safe well, surely thats what matters...........well it does to me anyway.:confused

Torvaig
01-Jan-08, 13:52

You are so right; it is a scandal how much is spent to indulge in totally useless events. I have no objections to people enjoying themselves but it's kinda like drink and drugs; more and more is needed to satisfy the self-indulgent both at Christmas, New Year, birthdays (look how many of them are now "special") and any other excuse for excesses.

DeHaviLand
01-Jan-08, 13:59

Maybe you should check your maths?
New year is special to millions of people all over the world, just because it means little to you doesnt mean that others cant enjoy it as they see fit.

And lets make sure that nobody has the cheek to enjoy themselves because someone somewhere in the world is suffering. Aye right!

cuddlepop
01-Jan-08, 14:01
A few minutes shouldn't make a difference,remember Caroline your on Highland time now.;)

The self indulgent waste of money on fireworks is all about " we can make a better dispaly than you can."nah na nah na nah na.

personally I'm disgusted with the money that's wasted and as far as what Inverness are spending, £300 000, how can you justifi that.:mad:

johno
01-Jan-08, 14:08
Well, we were at the street party in Wick and thought it was a smashing event. Met folk,s we had,nt seen in ages.
Here,s to the next one & a big round of applause to the organiser,s. :cool:

Angela
01-Jan-08, 14:09
yes i agree. money could be spent on the poor of our country and the folkes with no homes and on the street

I agree with that. Here in Edinburgh the celebrations are perhaps justified by the number of tourists they attract to the city, bringing money to the local economy.

Not that many of us locals can take part other than watching on TV - the city centre becomes a fenced off no-go area to most of us at this time. :(

botheed
01-Jan-08, 14:09
Maybe you should check your maths?
New year is special to millions of people all over the world, just because it means little to you doesnt mean that others cant enjoy it as they see fit.

And lets make sure that nobody has the cheek to enjoy themselves because someone somewhere in the world is suffering. Aye right!folkes should have the right to enjoy themselves as they see fit and spend their money as they wish.but not my tax money on partys and squibs. when it could be going to the poor of our country

paris
01-Jan-08, 14:49
Well considering we wasnt going out we did in the end and had a whale of a time, i was singing , dancing and eating, not all at once i might add !
And no we didnt have fireworks but just our local packed with good friends. To spend huge amounts on one night is stupid to say the least, and yes the poorer people of our world could of used that money alot better than a few splashes of colour in the sky.
Im all out for a good time but you dont have to spend lots of money doing so . jan x

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL . XX

Cattach
01-Jan-08, 15:05

If those ocassions bring fun and happiness into the lives of people, some who may not have lots to be happy about throughout the year, then please do not knock it. No doubt you have things that make you happy and you enjoy and we would not think it useful but that is your choice and we will respect it.
It so easy knock other people's fun. I have always looked forward to this time of year because as a family we can come together in a happy atmosphere and look with enthusiasm and hope to the coming year. It does not always work out but we also have our memories.
I hope you had a nice Christmas and you have a happy and prosperous new year - whatever it will be what you made of it and make of it. Do not knock what others like but let them enjoy in peace.

pulteney person
01-Jan-08, 17:07
My watch must have been wrong then because I thought it was more or less bang on midnight or a few seconds after when the balloons went up. We had been to a wedding earlier and maybe I was cock-eyed by that time, who knows, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself, like always.

My partner and his father were up from Hull and they thought it was the best New Year ever. There were loads of people at the street party and everyone was friendly to them and made them feel at home.

The music was good and there didn't appear to be any trouble. People were generous with their 'bottles' and plenty black bun and shortbread was being handed out.

The pipers were great too.

We stayed to the end and had an absolute ball.

My guests are already talking about coming back up next year!!:D

RicardoR
01-Jan-08, 17:24
I am not telling people to not enjoy themselvs, but surely it doesn't take much to sacrifice something for those that dont have what we have.. that way many other people will enjoy Christmas and New Year.

You lot all say "oh dont stupid, your telling us to not enjoy new year" are only saying that because of the position you are in, you can enjoy yourselves like that, a lot of people cant. Im sure if you were in their position you wouldn't be so selfish.

I still think 1.1 million is a stupid amount of money to spend on a something that lasts 11 minutes when it can be spent on something that will affect thousands of people for a lot longer.

Enjoyment comes in many ways, not just by spending loads of money.

RicardoR
01-Jan-08, 17:26
If those ocassions bring fun and happiness into the lives of people, some who may not have lots to be happy about throughout the year, then please do not knock it. No doubt you have things that make you happy and you enjoy and we would not think it useful but that is your choice and we will respect it.
It so easy knock other people's fun. I have always looked forward to this time of year because as a family we can come together in a happy atmosphere and look with enthusiasm and hope to the coming year. It does not always work out but we also have our memories.
I hope you had a nice Christmas and you have a happy and prosperous new year - whatever it will be what you made of it and make of it. Do not knock what others like but let them enjoy in peace.

... what? Having 1.1 million on some fireworks is fun to you? There are other ways to enjoy time with your family... I mean everything else is fine, but spending that much money on something like that is too much. It's called common sense

botheed
01-Jan-08, 18:10
A few minutes shouldn't make a difference,remember Caroline your on Highland time now.;)

The self indulgent waste of money on fireworks is all about " we can make a better dispaly than you can."nah na nah na nah na.

personally I'm disgusted with the money that's wasted and as far as what Inverness are spending, £300 000, how can you justifi that.:mad:yes a disgrace

unicorn
01-Jan-08, 18:15
So thats what my council tax pays for [lol]

sphinx
01-Jan-08, 18:15
happy newyear folk,s:lol: cool street party had great time

badger
01-Jan-08, 18:30
Why does having a good time have to cost so much money? However fantastic the firework display, basically it's money going up in smoke for a few minutes of pretty lights which will be forgotten until next time. I had a wonderful time at a friend's house - good company, music, simple food, some drink (we all contributed). We did the countdown with the radio so were with the rest of the country - it was great.

Funny how councils can spend money on things like that and cut the budgets for the needy. Looking at the webcam, I thought Wick looked like a big happy party and I don't suppose it cost thousands - what more can you want?

rfr10
01-Jan-08, 18:48
I was at the party, it was great to meet up with loads of people there but, now I'm just saying this in my opinion- Eveything was late at starting, I think they were running behind time for everything. This can't be blamed on the organisers, the turn-out just wansn't great to begin with but it got busier as the night went on. I didn't find the choice of bands anything to get excited about and I don't mean any offence to the 1st band playing but it would have been better if the band had a bit more members in it! :Razz It may have been many peoples taste in music but it wasn't mine. I wasn't overly thrilled by the event but thanks still must go to those who put time into organising it.

caroline_glasgow
01-Jan-08, 20:15
interesting reading, my point wasnt anything to do with money or fireworks, it was in fact about Wick

I agree with waste of money etc, could go to so much better use

however with the Wick street partyi think my original choice of word "shambles" was in fact far too strong and unfair

I was slightly dissappointed in the countdown, it was definatly late, 12.03 people from other place where calling me on my mobile screaming "happy new year" and we were still waiting!

but on the other hand it was a good night and I enjoyed it.

I personally think what was lacking was one major person taking control, louder microphone and keeping everything in tow.

It was no major deal, as someone said I have my family im fit and healthy so a wee countdown going wrong isnt gonna hurt me!!!!, they are right!

Hope they collected lots of money, we put in a fiver and the woman seem overjoyed, really nice

x

_Ju_
01-Jan-08, 20:28

hmmmm....... 11 minutes at 1 million per minute makes....11 million. :eek:;)

Cattach
01-Jan-08, 20:51
... what? Having 1.1 million on some fireworks is fun to you? There are other ways to enjoy time with your family... I mean everything else is fine, but spending that much money on something like that is too much. It's called common sense

My argument was not with that part of the statement but with this by you;

'People make too big a fuss about Christmas and New Year..'

If you re-read my comment you will see that I was putting the points for people being able to choose how they enjoy themselves and that we should not knock enjoyment at Christmas for those who want to use Christmas and New Year fun. The 1.1 is another issue.

RicardoR
01-Jan-08, 23:22
Yeah sorry, 100,000 pounds per minute which equals 1.1 million for 11 minutes.

Camra
03-Jan-08, 00:39
Sincere apologies for late countdown to Happy New year.
Against better judgement, we relied on a sophisticated state of the art mobile phone which had developed a timelag with regard to Caithness real time and a GMT synchronised wind up watch.
Obviously sophistication does not equate to reliability when you really need it, or is that just technophelia ? ( Proven in this case ).
We shall draft a letter to those buffoons responsible for the mobile phone network GMT synchronisation and demand an explanation for the missing three minutes. We suspect Dark Matter & Free Radicals are at work, damn stuff gets everywhere thesedays.
Anyway, we trust this mishap did not spoil what seemed to be an enjoyable event and will not ruin everyones year ahead.
Personally, I made a point of getting up 3 minutes earlier in the morning just to ensure i was back on schedule. Bit of a struggle i know, especially after a few drams, but you have to make the effort or anarchy will ensue, then where would we be ( Kenya ? heaven forbid !).
Thanks to all the volunteer organisers, everyone who helped at the event, those who stayed behind to clear up afterwards, those who donated to next years event, the guitarist and singer who filled in at the last moment after an advertised band pulled out at the last minute and last and of course, most importantly, yourselves !!!!!

porshiepoo
03-Jan-08, 01:06
well got to say i thought it was a shambles!

3 minutes past midnight and we were still waiting!

bands were good, really good talent in there!

never mind always next year again!!!!!

Could I ask, Waiting for what??????????????:confused

bluelady
03-Jan-08, 21:48
Better late than never,
Better something than nothing,
Twas fine and everyone appeared to be happy and enjoying themselves, and as the old saying goes, " you can please some of the people ....etc.

Thankyou to the organisers etc for giving up their time for others, well done. :)

Julia
04-Jan-08, 00:07
It could be worse, you could be the gummy/toothless person who is missing his/her false teeth that Connieb19 was lucky/unlucky enough to find [lol]

MGB1979
04-Jan-08, 00:18
I was at the street party and, while it was good, it was badly missing a compère or MC for the countdown. A local entertainer cracking a few jokes and starting the countdown would have been good, I'm thinking a Bryan Coghill type. Maybe even some money could be spent cleaning up, and winding up, the big clock on top of Woolworths to provide a focal point for the big moment?

bluelady
04-Jan-08, 14:52
It could be worse, you could be the gummy/toothless person who is missing his/her false teeth that Connieb19 was lucky/unlucky enough to find [lol]

Aye, imagine going down e Police lost property for at one :lol:

miranda
04-Jan-08, 16:00
[quote=MGB1979;317881]I was at the street party and, while it was good, it was badly missing a compère or MC for the countdown. A local entertainer cracking a few jokes and starting the countdown would have been good,

quite agree ,was good atmosphere but lacking a little something!!!