PDA

View Full Version : Post Office Adverts/Closure

Ashes
31-Dec-07, 22:16
I cannot for the life of me understand why the Post office is spending thousands of pounds advertising on TV while theatening to close post offices. Sometimes they are advertising more in one night than anyone else.
How can they afford to be this irresponsible knowing older people depend on this life line. Do you agree ? Ashes

brandy
31-Dec-07, 22:18
and yet they still cant deliver the mail! i am still waiting for a chrissie package from the states! that was guarenteed here before christmas!

Tristan
31-Dec-07, 23:48
I cannot for the life of me understand why the Post office is spending thousands of pounds advertising on TV while theatening to close post offices. Sometimes they are advertising more in one night than anyone else.
How can they afford to be this irresponsible knowing older people depend on this life line. Do you agree ? Ashes

I believe they are making the adverts in a closed post office too!

JAWS
01-Jan-08, 07:13
Post Offices are being closed because the Government as slowly but relentlessly removed from Post Offices every service that they used to provide on behalf of the Government. TV Licences and Car Tax spring immediately to mind.

For some reason the Government seems determined to put them out of business. The latest move is to stop allowances and pensions being paid using a Post Office Card and to bully people into providing their Bank Details for the money to be paid directly into their Bank Accounts.

The reason the Post Office are doing so much advertising is to remind people that they Government have not yet succeeded in abolishing every service they provide.

2little2late
01-Jan-08, 23:16
and yet they still cant deliver the mail! i am still waiting for a chrissie package from the states! that was guarenteed here before christmas!

It isn't the post office that deliver the mail. It is Royal Mail.

Angela
02-Jan-08, 11:40
It isn't the post office that deliver the mail. It is Royal Mail.

I think quite a lot of people confuse the two, or aren't aware that they're separate entities.

The poor performance of Royal Mail certainly doesn't help the Post Office. My local PO has suffered a worrying loss of custom recently -small businesses that used to use it have now gone elsewhere.

Geo
02-Jan-08, 12:22
My guess is they are trying to get the message out on what services they still provide and what new ones they have added. If they don't and people don't use them as much then more will close.

sprint95m
02-Jan-08, 18:17
Post Offices are being closed because the Government as slowly but relentlessly removed from Post Offices every service that they used to provide on behalf of the Government. TV Licences and Car Tax spring immediately to mind.

You can still obtain a vehicle road licence at a Post Office. Going to a PO is still the quickest way to obtain the disc.

Angela
08-Jan-08, 11:33
The proposals for closure of 18 Highland post offices and the downgrading of another 11 is in today's news.

In Caithness - Spittal, Barrock and Pultneytown to close.
Latheron, Mid Clyth and Canisbay to be replaced by an "outreach solution".

Sounds bad to me! :( I'm sure quite a few Orgers will be losing their local PO....[evil]

mareng
08-Jan-08, 12:06

For some reason the Government seems determined to put them out of business. The latest move is to stop allowances and pensions being paid using a Post Office Card and to bully people into providing their Bank Details for the money to be paid directly into their Bank Accounts.

The reason the Post Office are doing so much advertising is to remind people that they Government have not yet succeeded in abolishing every service they provide.

Exactly! The government of the day sold off the profitable sections, such that what remains is not self-sufficient............. SHAME ON THEM!

........... and Brandy seems to want to lump it into the Post Office as if she is certain the blame lies with them and not the US Mail?

zappster
08-Jan-08, 12:21
just heard wick mentioned on the grampian news amongst the list of post offices ear marked for closure!!Bloomin disgrace!

Mizpah
08-Jan-08, 13:01
:(

I think it is a disgrace if what I read in todays paper is true that they are shutting this branch. This is a life-line service in this part of the town and should be kept and am sure that there are many others who agree with me on this. Shame on the Post Office and even bigger shame on our so called "caring" Government.

candyfloss
08-Jan-08, 13:07
just heard wick mentioned on the grampian news amongst the list of post offices ear marked for closure!!Bloomin disgrace!
Maybe i'll be the one on the pultney side that their planning to close, surely it won't be the main one.

Angela
08-Jan-08, 13:09
Maybe i'll be the one on the pultney side that their planning to close :eek:

It's the Pultneytown one, candyfloss. :(

candyfloss
08-Jan-08, 13:13
Shame, it always seems like a right busy little place. :(

nanoo
08-Jan-08, 13:55
Shame, it always seems like a right busy little place. :(
That post office IS a busy one and the lady who runs it received official notification on the closure this morning. PEOPLES POST OFFICE they say, AYE RIGHT!!!!! I think a petition being set up would do no harm, at least it is worth a try, don't you think? What are old age pensioners supposed to do now, 'Oh i know,' use the pension money they have to stretch out anyway, even further so they can get a bus down to the High Street to pick up their pension and use more of it for the bus fare back home again. Most people in this area don't need to go into town very often anyway because they have a butchers and bakers shop round from the P.Office not to mention a couple of grocers shops just a few streets away, but what the heck, let's make them go into town whether they want to or not. They have also only given the post office 6 weeks to wind everything up. Also may i point out that if you have to wait in a queue at the P. Office just now, what amount of time do we have to hang around after it closes. The main one in the High Street is also a very busy one too. Bare in mind this one will have to serve the whole of Wick from now on, so do we have to set aside a whole day to stand around waiting for your turn. This has been very well thought out, don't you think. SHAME ON THE POWERS THAT BE for this blunder. :confused

nanoo
08-Jan-08, 17:53
I'm so sorry, i forgot all about the Chemist shop as well on the same street as the butcher and bakers. Imagine me forgetting them. Sorry about that again. While i'm here again anyway, i'd also like to give the staff in the post office a mention, they are a cheery crew who are always helpful and take time to pass the time of day with you even have a laugh. If you go in there feeling a little down, they certainly perk you up with their patter. It would be such a shame to see this Post office go. :~(

Buttercup
08-Jan-08, 18:23
Thurso was also been mentioned - does this mean that there will be no Post Offices in Caithness at all! :eek:
http://www.stv.tv/content/news/headlines/display.html?id=opencms:/news/Eighteen_Highland_post_offices_face_axe

Buttercup
08-Jan-08, 18:26
That post office IS a busy one and the lady who runs it received official notification on the closure this morning. PEOPLES POST OFFICE they say, AYE RIGHT!!!!! I think a petition being set up would do no harm, at least it is worth a try, don't you think? What are old age pensioners supposed to do now, 'Oh i know,' use the pension money they have to stretch out anyway, even further so they can get a bus down to the High Street to pick up their pension and use more of it for the bus fare back home again. Most people in this area don't need to go into town very often anyway because they have a butchers and bakers shop round from the P.Office not to mention a couple of grocers shops just a few streets away, but what the heck, let's make them go into town whether they want to or not. They have also only given the post office 6 weeks to wind everything up. Also may i point out that if you have to wait in a queue at the P. Office just now, what amount of time do we have to hang around after it closes. The main one in the High Street is also a very busy one too. Bare in mind this one will have to serve the whole of Wick from now on, so do we have to set aside a whole day to stand around waiting for your turn. This has been very well thought out, don't you think. SHAME ON THE POWERS THAT BE for this blunder. :confused

Pensioners travel free on buses.

Ash
08-Jan-08, 18:32
why is everything about pensioners what about everyone else!

nanoo
08-Jan-08, 19:06
why is everything about pensioners what about everyone else!
Okay Ash, sorry about that . Also you have young mums not wanting to travel into town whether on a bus or walking if they have children to watch over as well. Neither is it as easy to park near the High Street post office(nearest would be supermarket car park) as it is to park on Smith Terrace or McArthur Street. people from all walks of life depend on their local post office, which is'nt going to be local for much longer if the powers that be get their own way.[evil]

parkie
08-Jan-08, 19:36
don,t forget the undertaker,s

Riffman
08-Jan-08, 20:39
If Pultneytown closes I will be right pissed off! Where else can you park outside the door nip in post yer stuff and leave without getting a parkig ticket?

sweetpea
09-Jan-08, 08:59
If Pultneytown closes I will be right pissed off! Where else can you park outside the door nip in post yer stuff and leave without getting a parkig ticket?

Me too!I love that I can take money out of the bank, get electric, a birthday card, pair of tights and a bottle of coke in a glass bottle all in same place.

weeksider
09-Jan-08, 13:21
What If the boot was on the other foot and they shut the High St POST OFFICE instead and left the Pultneytown one open , then there would be uproar ?

nanoo
09-Jan-08, 13:37
What If the boot was on the other foot and they shut the High St POST OFFICE instead and left the Pultneytown one open , then there would be uproar ?
Of course there would be weeksider, the town needs both post offices. I think one post office to serve the whole town is ludicrous to say the least. I for one hope that both of them will be left alone. Peoples Post office, who do they think they are kidding, Shareholders Post office more like.[evil]

NickInTheNorth
09-Jan-08, 13:46
<inserts tongue firmly in cheek>

there's no problem. All pensions and benefits are now supposed to go into a bank account, unless you are really rebellious and insist on cheque. So you will be able to get money out of the local cash machine rather than the post office. Don't worry if there's no cash machine there'll be one along soon. It'll charge you £1.50 to get a tenner out, but that's OK. And doubtless the local shop will sell books of stamps.

So why on earth would you want a Post Office - stupid concept anyway...