PDA

View Full Version : 13.9 Million People CAN be wrong

brokencross
28-Dec-07, 10:43
I hope this post doesn't upset anyone whose life revolves around soaps, but here goes anyway......!!
So the "gripping" Christmas Eastenders pulled in 13.9 million viewers.

Thank goodness I was not one of those poor, sad 13.9 million people who have nothing better to do on a Christmas Day than watching someone else’s contrived, far fetched domestic trials and tribulations.

All soaps seem to have lost the plot (pardon the pun), they should be binned and banned or banished to a midnight slot, well away from young impressionable eyes.

They are no longer an insight into the everyday goings on in some street or other. They try to outdo each others storylines by being more outrageous rather than inventive; eventually nothing will be taboo.

They no longer reflect society, BUT set society trends for the young, weak willed and those of low intellect by giving them the impression this is the totally acceptable norm and seeks to legitimise the bad behaviour, whether it be sexual, drinking, criminal etc. Just watch the news or read the papers to see the effect it is having on the world around you.

Despite what the "TV pundits and so-called experts" say, it is not escapism...........it is perverse form of voyeurism.

I know that this bed hopping, wife beating, violence, teenage pregnancy and general moral degradation goes on in "real life" but I certainly don't want it thrust into in my living room, under the guise of being entertainment, especially on Christmas Day, thank you.

Oh well back to my humdrum life; should I do the dishes now or have a bath? (maybe I could take the dishes in the bath to save time and water, what a soap storyline that would be!!?)

This is not the start of some moral crusade but a simple observation about the content of soaps from a simple mind.

Donnie
28-Dec-07, 10:52
I don't see it as any different to the millions of people who turn to the bible every 'Christmas'. The way I see it is it's just a ridiculously far fetched and as big a waste of time as the soaps.

NickInTheNorth
28-Dec-07, 10:56
well said brokencross - I agree with you at least 100%

golach
28-Dec-07, 11:14
I agree with brokencross also, but when you consider that there are approx 56 million people in the UK the 13.9 million figure only represents about a quarter of the population, so at least 3 quarters of us are sane and sensible[lol]

shazzap
28-Dec-07, 11:24
I don't see it as any different to the millions of people who turn to the bible every 'Christmas'. The way I see it is it's just a ridiculously far fetched and as big a waste of time as the soaps.

I agree with you

robbie_roost
28-Dec-07, 11:34
im certainly a soap dodger!

johno
28-Dec-07, 11:52
I agree with Donnie & Brokencross. but as long as it,s fiction, who gives a toss & they can bin it all, along with all the american csi, s ETC and other drivel were forced to pay to have transmitted onto our tv screens.
Christmas day viewing was a joke. cant wait to see what crap were in for over the New Year. [disgust]

orkneylass
28-Dec-07, 12:09
I agree with the original post, particularly the teaching of impressionable young people a phoney, antisocial and dangerous set of behaviours - angry - just go ballistic and say what you like. Humilated? _ just plot a malicious revenge. etc etc

JammyDodger69
28-Dec-07, 12:10
Tv is certainly getting worse, fair amount of rubbish on it everyday, but I guess tho if you dont want it in your living room you could always turn it off and go and do other things. I personally dont watch them them that much but a few of my family do, sometimes I'll sit and watch them with my girlfriend, and yup I'd say the extreme story lines do pull people in, I've been suckered into it myself.

But I guess people like a bit of drama, specially if it's happening to someone else.

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 13:25
Must admit, i would'nt watch Eastenders at Christmas time or any other time for that matter. It must be the dullest, saddest, most unimaginative soap of all time. How this rubbish ever wins the top soap award beats me. I've always said it's a fix. One year they get it and the next year Corrie. Mind you, i do have to admit to being a fan of Corrie and they try the new storylines first and rest copy. At the moment we have the switched at birth one developing nicely.:roll:;)

connieb19
28-Dec-07, 13:36
Must admit, i would'nt watch Eastenders at Christmas time or any other time for that matter. It must be the dullest, saddest, most unimaginative soap of all time. How this rubbish ever wins the top soap award beats me. I've always said it's a fix. One year they get it and the next year Corrie. Mind you, i do have to admit to being a fan of Corrie and they try the new storylines first and rest copy. At the moment we have the switched at birth one developing nicely.Hahaha and Rosies face when she opened those huge pyjamas from John was priceless. :lol:

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 13:47
Hahaha and Rosies face when she opened those huge pyjamas from John was priceless. :lol: I thought so too connie 19, did you see Johns expression when Rosie said perhaps they should'nt see one another any more, as well, after everything she put him through. Poor Fiz though.:~(

coppertop 1958
28-Dec-07, 13:54
can we work out how many millions viewers that did not see it i was 1 off them thats a start ......

nanoo
28-Dec-07, 13:58
I was the second one then okay?

connieb19
28-Dec-07, 14:06
I was the 3rd

Bobinovich
28-Dec-07, 14:32
I wholeheartedly agree with both of the first two posts - haven't time for either.

Julia
28-Dec-07, 15:45
I was one of the 13.9 million [lol], and I enjoyed it!

TBH
28-Dec-07, 16:32
13.9 million watched eastenders for a bit of entertainment, that's all and hardly a corruption of our youth. The stories aren't that far fetched in themselves more the fact that if the programs didn't have one of these stories running every episode then people would lose interest, real life isn't that interesting for most. What about all the people that read stories in books, are those books corrupting people or entertaining them?

Yoda the flump
28-Dec-07, 17:24
I was one of the 13.9 million [lol], and I enjoyed it!

Me Too . . . :D

Ash
28-Dec-07, 17:32
i watched it and i dont see the big deal about it, there alot worse things on the tv! get a grip its a soap........... if people like watching it then leave them alone

quirbal
28-Dec-07, 17:53
Is anyone really stupid enough to do what they see on soaps.:confused If so it just shows how bad things are getting nowadays.

Angela
28-Dec-07, 18:19
I hope this post doesn't upset anyone whose life revolves around soaps, but here goes anyway......!!

Thank goodness I was not one of those poor, sad 13.9 million people who have nothing better to do on a Christmas Day than watching someone else’s contrived, far fetched domestic trials and tribulations.

Despite what the "TV pundits and so-called experts" say, it is not escapism...........it is perverse form of voyeurism.

I've been dipping into East Enders since the very first episode -with long absences. My life doesn't "revolve round soaps", it's the only one I ever watch -sometimes it's a tiny, entertaining, part of my life, sometimes not.

We did watch it on Christmas Day and enjoyed it.

That doesn't make me a "poor sad" person with nothing better to do -it was a very small part of a very busy and active family day. For some folk less fortunate than me, it might have played a bigger part in helping them through a lonely day.

It would take a lot more than your post to upset me, brokencross, but I do object just ever so slightly to me and my family being referred to as perverse voyeurs! :roll: :roll:

Anne x
28-Dec-07, 20:07
I've been dipping into East Enders since the very first episode -with long absences. My life doesn't "revolve round soaps", it's the only one I ever watch -sometimes it's a tiny, entertaining, part of my life, sometimes not.

We did watch it on Christmas Day and enjoyed it.

That doesn't make me a "poor sad" person with nothing better to do -it was a very small part of a very busy and active family day. For some folk less fortunate than me, it might have played a bigger part in helping them through a lonely day.

It would take a lot more than your post to upset me, brokencross, but I do object just ever so slightly to me and my family being referred to as perverse voyeurs! :roll: :roll:

Angela is that not what families are about we all have our own preferences thank goodness but like you we give and take and had family staying over Christmas who really wanted to watch the soaps and did and we watched as well !!! Ax

northener
28-Dec-07, 20:27
Soaps do my head in, having said that Eastenders are especially good at doing one to one high tension scenes. The latest being the pool match between the surviving teletubby and the bloke off the Bill. Good acting.

Plot line for Eastenders:

(Distance shot of grubby marketplace slowly closing on on people wearing Matalan seconds shouting at each other.)

Cockney Git 1: "Ere, wots goin on 'ere ven?"

Cockney Git 2: "Ere, shatyer marf!"

Cockney Git 3: "Ere, yaw're art of owder!"

Cockney Git 4: "Ere, shatyerberleedin' marf, you!"

Cockney Git 5: "Ere, leave it out my son, an' shatyerbleedin marf an'all!"

Cue theft/violence/rape/ripoff or unbelievable sale of crappy business to new dodgy character.

All retire to artificially cheery East End pub to drink champagne (a traditional East End drink) and beat up a passing Pearly King.

I await the Beebs' call......

karia
28-Dec-07, 20:33
Norvener! We don't laike norveners rown ere!:eek:

Flashin' their bleedin' lampshades at us!;)

suvners we are an proudvit!

robynaus
29-Dec-07, 02:23
Used to love eastenders and coronation street when they were free to air here (and i was much younger) but we don't get them anymore unless we have foxtel or one of mr murdoch's other products.
Since i dont i dont see them but i do see all the crime shows including the best of the british one off's and of course the bill, life on mars,waking the dead ect and WE DON'T PAY TV LICIENCE FEES EITHER.

Happy New Year All

regards robyn

JAWS
29-Dec-07, 02:35
If you dig deeply enough you will find that more than a few "Social Comment" storylines have been written over the years to appease Governments and I don't mean any particular Political Party.

What Governments do is give a broad hint to the TV Companies that they are thinking about running an anti-(whatever) campaign with loads of Government Adverts put out during prime viewing times. As everybody knows, the best cure for insomniacs is a constant flow of amateurish Government Adverts and the Companies will do anything in order to prevent that happening.

A huge hint is then dropped that should the TV Companies be able to come up with a more effective solution to get the message across then that would be given serious consideration instead of the adverts.
The next thing you know is that Soap after Soap all suddenly come up with very similar story lines about the same particular drastic Social Problem.

The public are then left with the impression that all the Soaps are simply copying one another’s ideas.

Riffman
29-Dec-07, 22:36
Or why not like me not turn on the TV on christmas day anyway?

No one is forcing you to watch all that crap. Your choice.

MadPict
30-Dec-07, 13:08
...get a grip its a soap...........

[lol][lol]
Had me spluttering into my Shreddies that did....

pie man
30-Dec-07, 17:08
I sort of agrea with you but most of thease people have watched all the episodes before so it wud be a shame to miss the christmas one

Torvaig
30-Dec-07, 18:47
13.9 million watched eastenders for a bit of entertainment, that's all and hardly a corruption of our youth. The stories aren't that far fetched in themselves more the fact that if the programs didn't have one of these stories running every episode then people would lose interest, real life isn't that interesting for most. What about all the people that read stories in books, are those books corrupting people or entertaining them?

So true TBH; it's only a tv programme folks, not real! And yes, the books! Maybe we should ban Stephen King etc., in case any one tries any of his story lines. Although "soaps" are presented as portraying real life it doesn't mean we all act that way. Sadly, some people do; just look at the so-called celebrities!

Meanwhile, who on earth is buying all the "celebrity" magazines? That's what keeps them in the news and makes them celebrities! :roll:

Roll on 1984......

Thumper
30-Dec-07, 18:50
My mate says she doesn't watch the soaps anymore...she says the ups and downs in my life are far more interesting than any soap :roll: she does have a point tho........x

Torvaig
30-Dec-07, 18:52
[quote=northener;315273]Soaps do my head in, having said that Eastenders are especially good at doing one to one high tension scenes. The latest being the pool match between the surviving teletubby and the bloke off the Bill. Good acting.

Plot line for Eastenders:

(Distance shot of grubby marketplace slowly closing on on people wearing Matalan seconds shouting at each other.)

Cockney Git 1: "Ere, wots goin on 'ere ven?"

Cockney Git 2: "Ere, shatyer marf!"

Cockney Git 3: "Ere, yaw're art of owder!"

Cockney Git 4: "Ere, shatyerberleedin' marf, you!"

Cockney Git 5: "Ere, leave it out my son, an' shatyerbleedin marf an'all!"

Cue theft/violence/rape/ripoff or unbelievable sale of crappy business to new dodgy character.

All retire to artificially cheery East End pub to drink champagne (a traditional East End drink) and beat up a passing Pearly King.

I await the Beebs' call......

.[/quot

You forgot on "the faaaamly" ;)