PDA

View Full Version : parent & child parking

cat
27-Dec-07, 19:53
hi.does anyone know what age this should stop?was at tesco today and had to park right at the end and carry baby in car seat all the way round and passed some woman and her son who looked about 12 parked at the opposite end!!just a wee bit annoying!

Dadie
27-Dec-07, 20:10
hi I just got through the post the stuff on the tescos baby club and it looks like it should stop at 5 years old and you should have a sticker thing showing that entitles you to use the spaces (i got 1 but dont use it ) but it is maddening when you have the wee one with you and cannot get a space near the shop .. it annoys me more to see people using the spaces when they have "forgotten" their children.

brandy
27-Dec-07, 20:11
i only ever use them when i have the kids with me.. sam is 4 and ben is 3.. i know they are not in buggies any more but its so much better to be able to get in and out of the car.

starry
27-Dec-07, 20:49
i only ever use them when i have the kids with me.. sam is 4 and ben is 3.. i know they are not in buggies any more but its so much better to be able to get in and out of the car.

I think the fact they are not in buggies is more reason to use them, one of the most important things is they are closest to the shop which means little kids are less likely to be injured in the carpark.

As a driver I am much happier with that, when mine were little I really appreciated the wider spaces which meant I could get the doors open without taking the side out of the car next to me.

brandy
27-Dec-07, 21:09
oh god i know.. they just slam the doors open and take off as soon as they can. they pretty much know not to go into the road.. but theres always that time they dont listen.

starry
27-Dec-07, 21:32
And from a drivers point supermarkets are terrible, wee kids are just too little to see over the top of the bonnet of the car.

I have had a few scares.

Julia
27-Dec-07, 22:01
Tesco should operate some kind of car park warden, even the trolley collectors could do this, have a wee check that nobody is using the disabled or parent and child spaces who shouldn't be, if someone is then a sticker could be applied to their vehicle warning them not to park there again, a bit like what the hospital does.

bluelady
27-Dec-07, 22:43
They already do, I saw a sticker put on one mans car who had parked in a disabled bay right near the door. He had a big posh 4x4 and when he saw the notice, he ripped it off the windowscreen, read it and chucked it on the floor in temper, the look on his face was of utter comtempt and when he saw us looking, he put his nose in the air and stomped off round the back of his car. Idiot was a polite name for him, the only disability he had was the one between his ears.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/rant.gif

ABC
27-Dec-07, 23:21
It says on the sign for the parent and children parking children up to 5 years old.

bobsgirl
27-Dec-07, 23:53
I do sometimes use the parent and child spaces, my kids are 7 and 5, but most of the time I do just use up normal parking spaces as I prefer to leave parent and child for people with babies.
If the kids aint in the car then I do not park in them at all.
I remember getting a dirty look from an older guy for parking there when I had the kids in the car, think he thought it was part of the disabled bit (Co-op car park).
Not enough parking for disabled or parents at the Co-op one though, plenty at Tesco.

mccaugm
28-Dec-07, 01:02
I think the idea of a warden is great. What about those stickers that are very difficult to get off. Think they are used in hospital car parks. If someone is spotted with no children or children who are say teenagers they could use those irritating stickers to dissuade them from doing it again.

My hubby is the worst he parks miles away from the shop entrance (its easier to park apparently) and my youngest is 3. He occasionally uses the kiddie spaces but only if there are loads free.?????

nikki
06-Jan-08, 20:29
The worst I saw was at CO-OP in Wick, I used to go there for my lunch when I was in the High School, and there was a man who quite often came tearing into the carpark and parked across THREE disabled spaces, would run in to the shop, would be in there for about 10 mins.

Andrew C
06-Jan-08, 21:24
I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and just for ease of getting kids in and out of car seats, we normally park in the spaces, but I find the ones at Tesco in Wick just a little bit too far from the door when you're trying to organise two kids and all you're shopping so I tend to just try to get an end space on one of the regular rows.

The same can be said of disabled spaces as is said for parent and child spaces. They are both abused a wee bit. Just takes a wee bit of consideration for other folks to park a space or two down.

mums angels
06-Jan-08, 22:06
I don't use the parent parking with my older 2 if the wee one is at home but i do use it as much as i can for when i have the wee one with me he's 2. i would think that maybe age 6 is a bit old as my 6 year old has enough road sense to be careful .

Julia
06-Jan-08, 22:08
I had to wait for a space at the parent / child parking at Tesco a couple of days ago, every space was taken so I waited while a bloke on his own packed a whole pile of shopping into the front seat of his car, how inconsiderate is that! [disgust]

I'm on a mission now, I am going check on a regular basis and if I see any cars parked there with no obvious signs of kids on board then I will politely complain, they may eventually get fed up of me and do something about it.

mums angels
06-Jan-08, 22:15
I had to wait for a space at the parent / child parking at Tesco a couple of days ago, every space was taken so I waited while a bloke on his own packed a whole pile of shopping into the front seat of his car, how inconsiderate is that! [disgust]

I'm on a mission now, I am going check on a regular basis and if I see any cars parked there with no obvious signs of kids on board then I will politely complain, they may eventually get fed up of me and do something about it.

My husband got complained at there one day as he loaded the car by some lady ( no so politely ) and he had to inform her that he was waiting for his wife (me) as i was inside changing our sons dirty nappy, he wasn't best amused but i could normaly understand where the woman was coming from but our car is a people carrier with about 4 car booster seats and car seat and lots of such and such on board stickers ..oh and at the time a very large pram .

but like yourself i have been very tempted to complain to drivers before especially those with 12 year olds using the spaces .

Julia
07-Jan-08, 00:06
My husband got complained at there one day as he loaded the car by some lady ( no so politely ) and he had to inform her that he was waiting for his wife (me) as i was inside changing our sons dirty nappy, he wasn't best amused but i could normally understand where the woman was coming from but our car is a people carrier with about 4 car booster seats and car seat and lots of such and such on board stickers ..oh and at the time a very large pram .

but like yourself i have been very tempted to complain to drivers before especially those with 12 year olds using the spaces .

It wasn't me honest! :lol: Maybe if we all complained repeatedly then something would be done to, lets face it if we were complaining about able bodied drivers taking up disabled parking spaces then probably something would be done about it quicker.

paris
07-Jan-08, 00:23
I didn't know it was 5yrs and over.....gawd .......i promise i wont use them anymore , hes 7 so he can walk properly with me his nanny. jan x

changilass
07-Jan-08, 01:00
Where should a parent with a mentally challenged 12 yr old park when at tesco???

They wouldn't necesarily have a disabled badge but the 12 yr old would normally be classed as too old for the parent and child spaces.

Bearing in mind said made up child has no road sense, where should parent park when taking child shopping???

Just playing devils advocate here.

sadam
07-Jan-08, 11:43
Hi I tried to complain before about council vans and young people parking in the Disbled bit at Safeways now Tesco's and it didnt do one bit of good. They are stopping disabled people from their rights and I think they would be the first to complain if the boot was on the other foot.

bluelady
07-Jan-08, 11:48
I remember some years ago down south, A large supermarket - Tesco's i'm sure it was,used to have stickers for the car that you could get from customer sevices that shows you are intitled to park in these areas. This included children with special needs. You just filled in a form and registered with them. This would help those with older children who would need to park nearer. Proberly will not stop those that abuse these places, but should identify them to the care park attendants.

laguna2
07-Jan-08, 11:59
I think that is the Tesco Baby Club - my daughter joined it and had a card that she had to put in the window of the car when parking in the parent/child space to show that she was entitled to do so.

Would be good if they did this everywhere - mind you, you would still get those who think it is their right to park anywhere.

Worst I saw, some time ago, was someone berating a driver with a disabled sticker for parking in a "normal" bay - and they wouldn't accept that the driver was doing this because the disabled person was not with them! :eek:

northener
07-Jan-08, 20:31
You can't educate pig-ignorant and lazy people.

About 6 months ago, a couple of Wicks' local dipsticks dumped their car in a disabled bay outside Somerfields and wandered off. Result? - Ticket. Good-oh!

Effect on dipsticks? None whatsover, saw them do exactly the same thing again last week.

Clamping's best- thay can't ignore that.

mareng
07-Jan-08, 21:24
I'm enlightened..................

I always thought that "mother and child" parking was to make it easier for the child to assist with mum's reverse parking? [lol]

(ducks for cover)

Julia
08-Jan-08, 16:26
Where should a parent with a mentally challenged 12 yr old park when at tesco???

They wouldn't necesarily have a disabled badge but the 12 yr old would normally be classed as too old for the parent and child spaces.

Bearing in mind said made up child has no road sense, where should parent park when taking child shopping???

Just playing devils advocate here.

If it were me I would still park in the parent and child spaces, it's supposed to be for children up to the age of five but at 12 he is still a child, I'm quite sure if anyone challenged you they would see your reasoning, I certainly do.

BRIE
08-Jan-08, 16:54
people with no children parking in mother & baby spaces is my bugbear!!!
Im with Julia i make it my mission to seek them out & if i see them coming back to their car i block them in! when they ask me to move I apologise & say i thought they were waiting for their children to get back in the car as their in a child parking place!

sadam
09-Jan-08, 13:26
well done Brie I like your style, perhaps if the rest of us do something simillar then they would stop doint it in future. Good thinking

Camel Spider
09-Jan-08, 20:04
I sometimes park my Bike next to these slots if the weather is bad .. NEXT to them, not in them and certainly not blocking them.

I often get collared by irate mothers getting on their soap box and ranting away that .. "You cant park there unless you have children" etc etc.

I simply open the wallet, show them the photo's of my kids to prove I am a parent and ask them to point out where it says the children have to be with me. I am sick of having to park miles away from the entrance when it is raining because mothers and their offspring dont want to get wet. Maybe child obesity wouldnt be such a problem if the kids have to walk off the mountain of shopping they have just bought ??

I also use the fact that I have the Crash Helmet on to admire the local females .. tinted visors hide the eyes perfectly.

Having been to Tesco's in Wick on the Bike I have to say .... Looking good Girls .. ;)

nikki
10-Jan-08, 10:53
it's not a case of children and mothers being lazy and not wanting to get wet, its a matter of safety. the point in the spaces is so there is more space for children to open the car doors, without risking hitting another car, and they are closer so the children are less likely to be endangered on the road.

BRIE
10-Jan-08, 11:43
I sometimes park my Bike next to these slots if the weather is bad .. NEXT to them, not in them and certainly not blocking them.

I often get collared by irate mothers getting on their soap box and ranting away that .. "You cant park there unless you have children" etc etc.

I simply open the wallet, show them the photo's of my kids to prove I am a parent and ask them to point out where it says the children have to be with me. I am sick of having to park miles away from the entrance when it is raining because mothers and their offspring dont want to get wet. Maybe child obesity wouldnt be such a problem if the kids have to walk off the mountain of shopping they have just bought ??

I also use the fact that I have the Crash Helmet on to admire the local females .. tinted visors hide the eyes perfectly.

Having been to Tesco's in Wick on the Bike I have to say .... Looking good Girls .. ;)

so what your saying is that when your children were newborn you would quite happily walk the length of the car park in the pouring rain & let your baby get wet & not get annoyed that someone with no children had parked in the parent & child places??!!
Your sick of having to park miles away when its raining. why? do you not like getting wet either?

Ash
10-Jan-08, 18:10
coming out of tesco thurso today, council van parked right across the disabled parking, taking up say 3spaces, lots of other available spaces, two guys got out engine still running, then went in and got beer and drove off!!![evil]

mums angels
10-Jan-08, 18:37
well was in tesco thurso today and didn't park in mother and toddlers as it was full but did notice a woman getting out of her estate car that had 3 kids in it and she left them there while she went into do a bit of shopping , think thats misuse of the facilities as children wern't getting out so she didn't need the saftey aspect she could have parked next to myself just behind that area .. i took my kids out

Camel Spider
10-Jan-08, 18:45
so what your saying is that when your children were newborn you would quite happily walk the length of the car park in the pouring rain & let your baby get wet & not get annoyed that someone with no children had parked in the parent & child places??!!
Your sick of having to park miles away when its raining. why? do you not like getting wet either?

No I dont like getting wet, who does ?? .. but I had to park where I could when the kids were young but strangely I didnt feel the need to be "special" and demand my own parking space.

And if you read my post then you would know I dont block these spaces, I just park near them but there is always some Mother ready to come over and start lecturing me. Funnily enough these are the very people who seem happy to block the aisles in the supermarket while they gas to their mates or while their offspring run amok. There is a reason I am especially careful when going past these spaces as the kids have a habit of running out unexpectedly.

I may well be parking in Tesco's wick in the next few weeks, I have a red Ducati 999 .. I may well be parking near you .. ;)

bekisman
10-Jan-08, 20:43
I'm disabled, and get jarred off with usually idle gits using spaces not for them, wonder if Tesco will do the same as ASDA: drivers abusing disabled and family spaces at ASDA can get a £40 fine..
http://archive.blackpoolcitizen.co.uk/2003/12/27/514673.html (http://archive.blackpoolcitizen.co.uk/2003/12/27/514673.html)

Another bit of info is that the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) not only requires Supermarkets etc to provide disabled bays,it now requires them/or their agents to monitor them to stop them being misused.

BRIE
11-Jan-08, 12:00
No I dont like getting wet, who does ?? .. but I had to park where I could when the kids were young but strangely I didnt feel the need to be "special" and demand my own parking space.

And if you read my post then you would know I dont block these spaces, I just park near them but there is always some Mother ready to come over and start lecturing me. Funnily enough these are the very people who seem happy to block the aisles in the supermarket while they gas to their mates or while their offspring run amok. There is a reason I am especially careful when going past these spaces as the kids have a habit of running out unexpectedly.

I may well be parking in Tesco's wick in the next few weeks, I have a red Ducati 999 .. I may well be parking near you .. ;)

I did read the post properly & did note that you dont block the parking spaces so well done to you!
I dont class myself as special just because I have children its a matter of safety, not just for the safety of the children but also for other peoples cars as trying to get a car seat out when someone has parked a few inches away from your door is very difficult without banging the other car with your door.
Dont think you will be parking near me in tesco as i dont use their family spaces, your actually closer to the store if you park in a normal space.

do have a giggle at the tesco mother & baby parking place sign it reads 'extra space to allow room for putting your child in their pushchair' have you ever tried pushing a trolley & a pushchair!:lol: