PDA

View Full Version : Postcode information stored when using a website.

ecb
26-Dec-07, 00:19
I work part time and am looking for a full time job, I sometimes go to a place which helps people looking for work, where they offer Internet access.

I often access the JobCentreplus web site at:

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do

I choose "Information Technology" click on next. Then select "All" then click on next. Then I am on "4:Location", when I type in the first letter "K" of my postcode, my full postcode and others presumably typed in by other members appear as a list.

While this remembering of my postcode may have a convenient aspect, in the interests of privacy, how can I stop my postcode being stored? I assumed that the postcode must be stored on the pc, and that it must be in the form of a cookie. But I found that deleting cookies doesn't remove the information. Does anyone know if this information is stored on the pc (if so how do I delete it when I have completeed my search) or is it stored at the remote server of the JobCentreplus website?

Something similar happens when I try and do a search on "Google" on one of the pcs, I often see a list of other peoples search terms, presumably saved from when they did them.

lazytown
26-Dec-07, 01:13
I work part time and am looking for a full time job, I sometimes go to a place which helps people looking for work, where they offer Internet access.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do)

I choose "Information Technology" click on next. Then select "All" then click on next. Then I am on "4:Location", when I type in the first letter "K" of my postcode, my full postcode and others presumably typed in by other members appear as a list.

While this remembering of my postcode may have a convenient aspect, in the interests of privacy, how can I stop my postcode being stored? I assumed that the postcode must be stored on the pc, and that it must be in the form of a cookie. But I found that deleting cookies doesn't remove the information. Does anyone know if this information is stored on the pc (if so how do I delete it when I have completeed my search) or is it stored at the remote server of the JobCentreplus website?

Something similar happens when I try and do a search on "Google" on one of the pcs, I often see a list of other peoples search terms, presumably saved from when they did them.

On the postcode search, if it is returning other postcodes as well then the information is not stored on your pc it is more than likely using a techology called AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML)

The google search is different in that it uses cookies to remember yours and others previous users search terms. These can be cleared by going into the options of your prefered browser.

Metalattakk
26-Dec-07, 03:14

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do

Depends on what browser you're using, as the info is stored in the browser cache.

Firefox:

Tools > Clear Private Data.

Make sure 'Saved Form And Search History' is ticked and then click on 'Clear Private Data Now'.

Then, go to Tools > Options > Privacy.

Make sure the 'Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar' box is unticked.

Click OK.

IE7:

Tools > Internet Options > Content.

In the "AutoComplete..." section, click the Settings button. You now have several options:

To prevent your password from being saved, deselect the User names and passwords on forms checkbox.

To prevent field entries from being saved, deselect the Forms checkbox.

To prevent URLs from being saved, deselect the Web addresses checkbox.

Click OK twice.

To be perfectly honest, I can't believe that a place that is using shared computers would allow this data to be stored on machines used by various users. Maybe a quick word with them about their IT infrastructure (and lack of it) would be in order?

Bobinovich
26-Dec-07, 14:59
To be perfectly honest, I can't believe that a place that is using shared computers would allow this data to be stored on machines used by various users. Maybe a quick word with them about their IT infrastructure (and lack of it) would be in order?

Absolutely! Any shared PC should have personal data, etc. deleted when the browser shuts down. By all means delete form data, passwords etc. as above when you're finished, but you should definately talk to them about it and make them aware that you find it disconcerting to say the least.