PDA

View Full Version : da vinci code..

zappster
22-Sep-05, 20:27
For those that haven't read it it's a great book.(dinna take it too seriously its only a book)...
For those that have read it...heres an interesting link to a cheel that TOOK it too seriously http://www.davincisecrets.com/ :D

Jalon
22-Sep-05, 21:33
If you enjoyed that book,Zappster, have a read of "Angels and Demons" also by Dan Brown.(Lots of twists and turns involving the Illuminati :evil )

George Brims
22-Sep-05, 22:50
Those are two of the worst books I have ever read. I would not have read both of them if I had not been taken in by all the hype and bought the pair as a bargain deal from a book club.

What is weird is that although both books irritated me as I read them, I could not stop reading them and had to get to the end of each (it wasn't just the $29.95 I wasted). The biggest mystery is not the ones posed in the outrageous plots, but how the guy manages to grip the reader like that even while making at least one reader want to scream at him for some of the completely dimwitted howlers in the text. Example: he thinks jet lag is caused by flying at a high altitude, and makes you feel unwell *while* you are flying. (First chapter of Angels and Demons)

gleeber
22-Sep-05, 23:00
I kinda agree with George. I read 3 quarters of the book over a few days earlier on in the year. It was rubbish but there was something gripping about it at the same time. That was 8 months ago. Ill catch the ending when the movie gets released.

Rheghead
22-Sep-05, 23:23
Those are two of the worst books I have ever read. I would not have read both of them if I had not been taken in by all the hype and bought the pair as a bargain deal from a book club.

What is weird is that although both books irritated me as I read them, I could not stop reading them and had to get to the end of each (it wasn't just the $29.95 I wasted). The biggest mystery is not the ones posed in the outrageous plots, but how the guy manages to grip the reader like that even while making at least one reader want to scream at him for some of the completely dimwitted howlers in the text. Example: he thinks jet lag is caused by flying at a high altitude, and makes you feel unwell *while* you are flying. (First chapter of Angels and Demons)

I feel the same about those politicised books that come out under any american publisher like 'stupid white men', 'bowlers for columbine' and 'liberalism is a mental disease'. Yet everywhere i went in the US, those dumb yanks were reading them and confusing fact from fiction.

scorrie
22-Sep-05, 23:45

$29.95 doesn't sound like a bargain deal, they were £2.99 a pop in Woolies. Ditch the book club and try the Book People. I got a set of 10 paperbacks from them for £9.99 and saw the identical pack in DR Simpsons at £69.99!!

Anyway, I gave up on Dan Brown after reading the Da Vinci code, it was a reasonable enough yarn but pretty much dumbed down to appeal to the mass audience and could even have been cynically written with a Hollywood movie spin off in mind judging by the sterotypical characters that appear throughout. Still, I finished the book and that says a bit about the author's skill in drawing the reader in despite the reservations. Then again, perhaps I was waiting for some sublime revelation in the final few pages. Could have been worse I suppose, ala the bestseller Captain Cabrelli's Mandarin.

George Brims
23-Sep-05, 00:11
LOL scorrie - I think you meant Captain Corelli's Mandolin - with a Cabrelli in the title it could have been set in Caithness!

I maybe didn't remember the $29.95 price correctly - I was just mad at myself for spending too much on such rubbish. Though remember the once mighty US dollar isn't worth much these days, and these were both hardback books. The problem buying from the book club is you can't read the back cover in advance. Otherwise I would have avoided the problem, as I would have applied my "Cussler Rule" - if there's a recommendation from Clive Cussler on the cover, then I don't buy the book.

Oh I also forgot Dan Brown thinks jetlag is the result of gravity being less at 60,000 feet. Strictly speaking gravity is less at that altitude, but only by about 0.3 percent so it isn't going to affect one very much.

Naefearjustbeer
23-Sep-05, 09:05
I enjoyed the DaVici code so set out to read Dan Browns other books, They all were so predictable and I had worked them all out longtime before the end which is a shame as it spoiled my pleasure of the DaVinci code. I normally enjoy a good conspiracy

jay
23-Sep-05, 09:20
I actually thought the Da Vinci code was the worst of Dan Browne's books - quite enjoyed the others but they are all much the same

zappster
23-Sep-05, 10:40
Oh dear these picky fowk are awfy hard to please eh.YAAWWNNnnn.. ;)

squidge
23-Sep-05, 10:45
I liked the da vinci code as a good not too demanding mystery crime thingie.

Angels and Demons was rubbish - didnt get past the first three or four chapters.

sassylass
24-Sep-05, 00:38
What do you mean ...it was FICTION???????[lol]

I enjoyed The Da Vinci code as a quick reading plot twister, but I couldn't get over the fact they never stopped to eat, sleep, or use the loo. I must be getting old because I would have been exhausted to squeeze that much action into 24 hours.....and I'm a rather good action squeezer.

golach
24-Sep-05, 08:12
George & Gleeber, thanks a bunch, the "Da Vinci Code" was on my next book to read list, now you have put me off!!
I have spent my spare time in sunny Menorca reading an Ian Rankin "Rebus" trilogy...I'm not sure if I liked them, will have to keep an open mind on John Rebus

scotsboy
24-Sep-05, 09:33
It is worth reading Golach, it is not a bad yarn, but not deserving of all the hype it has had. The thing that confuses me is that the Vatican even bothered to commnet on it - me think they doth protest too much :lol:

I also read Angels & Demons and Digital Fortress (was given them as presents), all very much the same.

Jalon
24-Sep-05, 09:57
Don't let them put you off, Golach. Everyone to their own! :roll: Eh Zapster.
If you're back from your hols, watch "The Grail Trail: In Pursuit Of The Da Vinci Code" on ITV1 at 10:35 this Sunday evening.(Daily Express critic's choice.)
It may rekindle your interest. :o)

ps Didn't like Rebus either.

marion
25-Sep-05, 15:58
George & Gleeber, thanks a bunch, the "Da Vinci Code" was on my next book to read list, now you have put me off!!
I have spent my spare time in sunny Menorca reading an Ian Rankin "Rebus" trilogy...I'm not sure if I liked them, will have to keep an open mind on John Rebus

Thank you George & Gleeber. From what I read on other commentaries, I don't believe I will waste my money on either if these books.

DrSzin
26-Sep-05, 10:38
Apparently, they're filming the Da Vinci Code at Rosslyn Chapel today. This morning's gossip on local radio was centred around which hotel Tom Hanks is staying in.

Rheghead
26-Sep-05, 12:30
There is a good documentary interview with Dan Browne on Sky atm. It goes into the Holy Grail thing quite well. Da Vinci's painting of the last supper is quite interesting due to the fact there is no chalice on the table but Mary Magdelene is there but she does look like a young boy.

fluffybuffy
26-Sep-05, 13:21
Oh dear, these books are causing a stir aren't they. I think the point of these type of books are to be the unisex Jackie Collins of the the present time really. I don't think you can take them too seriously, I think it is a bit scary that so many people get so wound up about what is in essence just an easy read, all these documentaries on the telly about it are slightly worrying.....

But for my tuppence worth they are a good easy read that doesn't take too much involvement of the old grey cells. And as for the Rebus books - well, I love all of them, even if some are a little on the over-descriptive side with some of the "gorey" stuff!

Just my opinions.... :)

Karen M26a
26-Sep-05, 13:50
I enjoy reading books of all genres, but I really love a good thought provoking read!

Corellis Mandolin was a fantastic book, a little slow to start off, but worth getting into. I felt that the the movie completely undermined the story by changing the ending. Turned a tragic, thought provoking, gut wrenching novel into a cheesy love story.

Treated myself to the Da Vinci Code the other weekend, so hope I won't be dissappointed - will keep an open mind either way. :D

Julia
26-Sep-05, 14:38
Interesting comments from all, in my opinion I thought the Da Vinci Code was an excellent read, I'm half way thru Angels and Demons and have just purchased Digital Fortress (eBay is your best bet for these books, nice and cheap, read 'em and sell 'em again). I liked knowing that what I was reading wasn't all fiction, the facts about Art and places i.e. The Louvre I thought was fascinating!

As for Ian Rankin, I've read them all... good easy reading!