PDA

View Full Version : Last weather centre to go !?

caithnessvisitor
21-Sep-05, 21:55
Folks,

Have you heard that the Met Office is trying/planning to close their last Scottish forecasting centre ?

If so you may also know about the consultation period that ends on 20thOct and that Don Touhig the MP, who gets to make the final decision, has said that he wants to hear from everyone and their uncle about the plans.

This is part of an overall strategy to close all regional centres and produce all forecasts etc from their Exeter HQ. The number of forecasters would also be drastically reduced and potentially much of the local knowledge that is so vital to Scottish forecasts with them.

If you think that we should get to keep a Scottish weather centre there is an online petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/SCOTMET that you might be interested in or why not write to him direct ?

Whitewater
21-Sep-05, 22:21
Thanks for that. I have signed the petition.

Kenn
21-Sep-05, 22:37
Just signed too..they can't get the weather right north of Inverness now so what chance if Scotland's only remaining met. office goes?

Tugmistress
22-Sep-05, 09:04
been and signed too

Highland Laddie
23-Sep-05, 01:46
Have signed up also, thanks for highlighting the petition.

lassieinfife
23-Sep-05, 08:27
have signed it too....

Mad Martigan
23-Sep-05, 11:10
I've signed it too, very simple to do - everyone should :D

zappster
23-Sep-05, 11:29
just signed and I am not very happy about the descision to do away with the weather station. :mad:

Rheghead
23-Sep-05, 12:53
Before I blindly sign I would like a balanced discussion on the pros and cons of its closure. So far we have had comments that the weather forecasting is not that good anyway so why not close it? If it is failing then why throw money at it?

Errogie
31-Jan-06, 22:34
Good news, the Aberdeen met office has been repreived for now but for a really interesting station check out the Icelandic weather forecasts for this area at Theyr.net