PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland / clark

domino
16-Dec-07, 20:40
My GGgrandfather Alexander Sutherland married Elizabeth Clark in July 1840 at Latheron. unfortunately I seem to be at a dead end regarding either of their parents. help!!!
Frank

lindadorren
17-Dec-07, 09:53
Hi Frank,

I have Alexander Sutherland's parents as David Sutherland and Elizabeth Budge, married 12 April 1839 in Wick. Alexander born Vale of Dunnet, 24 Aug 1808. No further info than that.

Do you have siblings for Alexander? Alexander was my 3 x great grandfather through his son John (Sutherland), John's daughter Henrietta (Campbell), Henrietta's daughter Elizabeth (Henderson, my grandmother) and my mum Mary (Dorren).

I'd be hapy to share info with you.

Linda

susan.leith
17-Dec-07, 17:35
Hi Frank and Linda

I have Alexander's birth as Latheron, around 1812; his parents were David Sutherland and Elizabeth Budge, my 4G grandparents - I am descended from their son Andrew. Alexander died 2 Nov 1887 in Castletown, where he was a flagstone quarrier. He married twice - first to Elizabeth "Betty" Clark in 1840, and then to Christina Taylor in 1860. Alexander and Betty had 6 children that I am aware of and he and Christina had a further 3 children. PM me if you want more info about names and dates.

Susan

Tricia
17-Dec-07, 20:01
I have an Andrew Sutherland b 1798 son of David Sutherland and Elizabeth Budge.
Andrew d 1868 he married Jane Forbes 1825.
They had 2 sons I know of. Thomas b 1830 and a David - both died 1876 disaster - mentioned elsewhere on this forum under topic Widows of Clyth.
Susan - Hope I have that correct.
Tricia

Tricia
17-Dec-07, 20:10
Hi Frank and Linda
I have Alexander's birth as Latheron, around 1812; his parents were David Sutherland and Elizabeth Budge, my 4G grandparents - I am descended from their son Andrew. Alexander died 2 Nov 1887 in Castletown, where he was a flagstone quarrier. He married twice - first to Elizabeth "Betty" Clark in 1840, and then to Christina Taylor in 1860. Alexander and Betty had 6 children that I am aware of and he and Christina had a further 3 children. PM me if you want more info about names and dates.
Susan

Susan
I have Alex S and Betty Clark with a son John Sutherland b c 1847 Latheron!- I have this because of his marriage to Johan JOHNSTON(I am researching all Johnston in Caithness) and also because John S and Johan J have a g'daughter who married my Robert Phin MORE.
Tricia

domino
17-Dec-07, 21:58
Folks,
Thank you all very much. you have been great and I really appreciate it. I have been trying to get stuff on him for a long time with no success until now. So it appears I have found some new, if distant, relatives.
All help greatly appreciated
Someone however has put another spanner in the works since one of the Clyne members of my family also married a Budge.
Frank

Tricia
17-Dec-07, 23:28
Frank
I have quite a bit on BUDGE all Scotland BDM - pre 1855 plus some Caithness districts post 1855. Happy to help
Tricia

Tricia
17-Dec-07, 23:34
Folks,
Thank you all very much. you have been great and I really appreciate it. I have been trying to get stuff on him for a long time with no success until now. So it appears I have found some new, if distant, relatives.
All help greatly appreciated
Someone however has put another spanner in the works since one of the Clyne members of my family also married a Budge.
Frank
Any of these
John Budge and Christian Clyne m 1811
Barbara Budge and Alexander Clyne m 1811
or Katherine Budge and William Clyne m 1745

Frank - we may have exchanged data before - and may be related through Sutherland/More!!!
Tricia

eric41
18-Dec-07, 03:17
Susan
I have Alex S and Betty Clark with a son John Sutherland b c 1847 Latheron!- I have this because of his marriage to Johan JOHNSTON(I am researching all Johnston in Caithness) and also because John S and Johan J have a g'daughter who married my Robert Phin MORE.
Tricia

Good evening Tricia
Had a look on the web site, but how does Catherine Groat relate to the Sutherlands

Eric

Tricia
18-Dec-07, 15:57
Tricia *****
Good evening Tricia
Had a look on the web site, but how does Catherine Groat relate to the Sutherlands
Eric
Hello Eric.
The Robert Phin More I mentioned is a g'son of Robert Phin More and Catherine Groat. So Catherine Groat does not directly relate to these Sutherlands
Robert Phin More 1898 -1989 m 1922 Henrietta Steven Campbell.
Parents James Groat More m 1896 Mary Ann Sinclair and George Harper Campbell m Henrietta Steven Sutherland.
G'parents
1.Robert Phin More m 1860 Catherine Groat Miller
2. Unknown (Sinclair)
3. David Campbell m Williamina Harper
4. John Sutherland m 1867 Johan Johnston.

Can anyone add Sinclair parents to this or dates for any?
Tricia

lindadorren
18-Dec-07, 19:27
Tricia,
John Sinclair Sutherland and Johan(a) Johnston were married 1 Feb 1867, in Wick and had 5 children, 4 daughters and 1 son.

David Campbell anfd Williamina Harper married 22 Sept 1871 and had 2 children, 1 son(George) and 1 daughter (Davidina, born 1868 and who married a James Bremner).

George Harper Campbell and Henrietta Sutherland were married 13 Sept 1895 and had 9 children, 6 daughters and 3 sons.

I have quite a bit more on this famly as they are my Great grandparents and great great grandparents.

Linda

eric41
18-Dec-07, 19:42
Tricia,
John Sinclair Sutherland and Johan(a) Johnston were married 1 Feb 1867, in Wick and had 5 children, 4 daughters and 1 son.

David Campbell anfd Williamina Harper married 22 Sept 1871 and had 2 children, 1 son(George) and 1 daughter (Davidina, born 1868 and who married a James Bremner).

George Harper Campbell and Henrietta Sutherland were married 13 Sept 1895 and had 9 children, 6 daughters and 3 sons.

I have quite a bit more on this famly as they are my Great grandparents and great great grandparents.

Linda

Good morning Linda
I show the following children

Children of GEORGE CAMPBELL and HENRIETTA SUTHERLAND are:
2. i. WILHEMINA5 CAMPBELL, b. 17 Mar 1896, Wick, Caithness, Scotland; d. Oct 1967, Edinburgh, MidLothian, Scotland.
ii. GEORGE HARPER CAMPBELL, b. 1897, Wick, Caithness, Scotland3; d. Unknown, United States.

More About GEORGE HARPER CAMPBELL:
Fact 1: emigrated to USA
Fact 2: no children
Fact 3: owned US Football team

iii. JOHAN JOHNSTON CAMPBELL, b. 16 Jan 1898, Scalesburn, Wick, Caithness, Scotland3; d. 16 Oct 1901, Scalesburn, Wick, Caithness, Scotland3.
3. iv. HENRIETTA STEVEN CAMPBELL, b. 19 Dec 1899, Scalesburn, Wick, Caithness, Scotland; d. Unknown, Unknown.
4. v. JOHN JAMES SINCLAIR SUTHERLAND BREMNER CAMPBELL, b. 28 Nov 1903, Pultneytown, Wick, Caithness, Scotland; d. Unknown, Unknown.
vi. ALEXANDER SUTHERLAND HARPER CAMPBELL, b. 20 Sep 1908, Wick, Caithness, Scotland3; d. Jul 1925, Edinburgh3.

More About ALEXANDER SUTHERLAND HARPER CAMPBELL:
Birth Location: Crown Hotel, Wick
Burial: Wick, Caithness, Scotland
Cause of Death: Tuberculosis
Fact 1: 1923, lived in Edinburgh with Mother and sister
Fact 2: 1925, passed TB to small neice

5. vii. HELEN CAMPBELL, b. 27 Nov 1911, Wick, Caithness, Scotland; d. 1989, Edinburgh.

May I ask who the others were

Regards

Eric

lindadorren
18-Dec-07, 20:36
Eric,

Children were as follows:-

1. Davidina (k/a Davidy)Sutherland b. 19 May 1894; d. ??, lived in Wick and was alive in 1962.
2. Wilhemina(k/a Minnie) Campbell b.17 Mar 1896;d. Oct 1967 in Edinburgh (I am in contact with her daughter Helen)
3. Johan Campbell b.16 Jan 1898;d. 16 Oct 1901
4. Henrietta (k/a Etta) Campbell b.19 Dec 1899; d 14 May 1945 in Wick (married to Robert Phin More therefore of interest t Tricia)
5. George Harper Campbell b.4 Nov 1901; d.??
6. John James Sinclair Sutherland b.28 Nov 1903; d. ???, married to Margaret Rowan
7. Elizabeth(k/a Betty) Houston Campbell b. 15 June 1906; d. 26 Nov 1991 (my grandmother) in Edinburgh, married to James Sutherland Henderson
8. Alexander(k/a Sandy) Campbell b.20 Sept 1908, d. 6 July 1925 in Edinburgh, buried in Wick, grave unmarked
9. Helen (k/a Nellie) Campbell b. 27 Nov 1911, d. 16 Apr 1985 in Edinburgh, married twice i) James Burns ii) ???

My mum who died a few weeks ago used to talk about her family quite a lot and I have tried to gather as much info as possible. Was meant to follow up on Harpers earlier in the year but due to family problems haven't had the time - will be in touch as soon as I get a chance.

Linda

Shandy
18-Dec-07, 21:58
they are My G.G.Grandparents,I emailed Susan last night but havent had a reply yet. Frank is my 2nd cousin.and he emailed me to let me know about having found information about them.

lindadorren
26-Dec-07, 16:20
Season's Greeting to all. Three points on this couple
1. I was told several years ago that all Clark(e)s in Caithness are related - does anyone know if this is true?
2. Also some records show Clarke, with an 'e' and others without (designed to confused!)- is this simply the recorder using his preferred spelling?
3. As several of us are all researching the same family, would it be sensible, time and resource saving to compare all relevant information and follow up discrepancies/missing info selectively? By that I mean take specific individuals and follow them through.

It would be fascinating to know how many people are descended from this gentleman - quite a few I think.

Linda

domino
29-Dec-07, 20:07
I have elizabeth clark born c1812 in latheron and married to Alexander Sutherland but know absolutely nothing about her. She is my only Clark
frank