PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation of Loch

Valerie Campbell
14-Dec-07, 13:07
Just because I noticed a new member with the name Loch Not Lock, how do you pronounce the word 'loch?' A friend of mine says 'lock' but I always say it with the ch being soft from the throat. I can't imagine saying Lock Ackray for Loch Achray anyway. So, how do you say it?

helenwyler
14-Dec-07, 13:13
Just because I noticed a new member with the name Loch Not Lock, how do you pronounce the word 'loch?' A friend of mine says 'lock' but I always say it with the ch being soft from the throat. I can't imagine saying Lock Ackray for Loch Achray anyway. So, how do you say it?

Definitely not 'lock'! I was brought up in England, but taught to pronounce it as you describe, like the German 'ch'.

I find Pitlochry a bit difficult though:eek:!

SNOWDOG
14-Dec-07, 14:02
'Loch not lock' nice one. ;) Its definately from the back of the throat, as in 'och' otherwise it would be spelt with a 'ck', as in 'rock! :)

Margaret M.
14-Dec-07, 14:10
It has to be loch, och aye.

Julia
14-Dec-07, 14:52
As in 'Och aye the noo', that's the proper way to pronounce it.

Rheghead
14-Dec-07, 15:24
It matters little to me, I swap between the two pronunciations when I think on. I certainly wouldn't pronounce Paris as Par-eee though;)

riggerboy
14-Dec-07, 15:48
a lock is an item on a door,,,,,
a loch is where nessie lives
och i dinna ken

NLP
14-Dec-07, 15:52
It's loch for me.

Angela
14-Dec-07, 15:56
It has to be loch, like "och" ........och an' ee! ;)

grandma
14-Dec-07, 15:57
It should be pronounced with a sound from the back of the throat - as in Achavanich!!!! Hee-hee

Loch not Lock
14-Dec-07, 16:12
Since my username "Loch not Lock" has caused discussion I feel obliged to explain why I chose it. Some years ago whilst at a social (drunken) evening in the Esher Club, Surrey a friend of mine from the Forest of Dean kept saying Lock Ness and Lock Lomond during a discussion about Scotland. This infuriated a retired Malawi diplomat of Edinburgh birth and he kept trying to teach the Englishman to pronounce 'och to no avail. Due to the convivial spirit everyone found his attempts having us all in tears with laughter. Everytime loch or lock is mentioned I still remember that fun night with great affection so it seemed a suitable choice for my username. :roll:

grandma
14-Dec-07, 16:54
It's a great username. Wish I'd thought of it myself!!

bekisman
14-Dec-07, 17:17
Off tread (a bit)
To us British, a Bison is a North American buffalo, but to an Aussie it's a thing you wash your hands in...

Valerie Campbell
14-Dec-07, 19:11
Since my username "Loch not Lock" has caused discussion I feel obliged to explain why I chose it. Some years ago whilst at a social (drunken) evening in the Esher Club, Surrey a friend of mine from the Forest of Dean kept saying Lock Ness and Lock Lomond during a discussion about Scotland. This infuriated a retired Malawi diplomat of Edinburgh birth and he kept trying to teach the Englishman to pronounce 'och to no avail. Due to the convivial spirit everyone found his attempts having us all in tears with laughter. Everytime loch or lock is mentioned I still remember that fun night with great affection so it seemed a suitable choice for my username. :roll:

I wondered why you'd chosen that username...thanks for the clarification. Welcome to the Org.

Loch not Lock
14-Dec-07, 19:20
Thank you, Valerie and good luck with your book. When is it published?

grantyg
14-Dec-07, 19:37
I usually just pretend a small crumb of toast has lodged its self on that punch bag doofer at the top of my throat and I`m trying to get it off by using my tounge to GrRRRRRRchchchzzzz it off!????
But I`m from yorkshire and I don`t speak proper, tha knows
Grant

Rheghead
14-Dec-07, 19:44
It seems funny to me that Loch Watten or Calder should be pronounced as in Gaelic when the Caithness community council have poo pooed Gaelic signs?:confused

MadPict
14-Dec-07, 21:39
Loch as in Och....

Lock is what you find on a canal or in a door

karia
14-Dec-07, 21:51
[quote I find Pitlochry a bit difficult though:eek:![/quote]

Pitlochree sounds nice...pit lockry sounds horrible...where's the difficulty...

..or diffficutee!;)

karia

horseman
14-Dec-07, 23:28
It matters little to me, I swap between the two pronunciations when I think on. I certainly wouldn't pronounce Paris as Par-eee though;)

not even as in gay par-eee;)

ywindythesecond
14-Dec-07, 23:44
It seems funny to me that Loch Watten or Calder should be pronounced as in Gaelic when the Caithness community council have poo pooed Gaelic signs?:confused

What is gaelic for Watten and Calder?

Rheghead
15-Dec-07, 01:58

dunno, you tell me

Sporran
15-Dec-07, 04:09

Och it has to be loch, as in "Campbeltown Loch" - the song made famous by Andy Stewart in the 1960s. Hyooch!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbeltown_Loch (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbeltown_Loch)

I have to admit I find it a bit annoying when people pronounce "loch" like "lock", but realise that if you haven't been brought up in Scotland or the likes of Germany, the "ch" sound might be a bit of a challenge. Another peeve of mine is when folk on this side of the Big Pond pronounce Edinburgh like "Edinburrow". If the person is talking to me directly, I gently remind the offender that we pronounce it "Edinburrah" in Scotland, then give them one of my sweet little smiles! :)

Margaret M.
15-Dec-07, 04:33
Another peeve of mine is when folk on this side of the Big Pond pronounce Edinburgh like "Edinburrow".

Or Edinburg -- Continental Airlines fly into Edinburgh so you think they would know how to pronounce it, but no, "We are now boarding the flight for Edinburg".

Torvaig
15-Dec-07, 06:07
When explaining the pronunciation of a Scottish word such as "loch" I suggest that it is pronounced the same way as in "Bach" and that seems to help most non-Scots to understand. Although it is annoying to hear our words mis-pronounced, we should endeavour to educate and spread the word!;)

Valerie Campbell
15-Dec-07, 12:40
Thank you, Valerie and good luck with your book. When is it published?

Thanks. It's out on Monday. Happy reading!

brokencross
15-Dec-07, 16:49
Och, I think loch has been sorted out;
but what about what?

How do you pronounce such a simple word; my daughters are of the English persuasion and criticise me when I say what (pronounced "hwot"), they say the correct way is "wot".

How do you say what, where, why?

Valerie Campbell
16-Dec-07, 16:30
Och, I think loch has been sorted out;
but what about what?

How do you pronounce such a simple word; my daughters are of the English persuasion and criticise me when I say what (pronounced "hwot"), they say the correct way is "wot".

How do you say what, where, why?

I think most Scots would pronounce it the same as you. Wot, wen, etc are very much of the English persuasion. I say say 'wh.'

Sporran
16-Dec-07, 19:04
Being a Scot as well, I also say "wh".

northener
16-Dec-07, 19:13
I think most Scots would pronounce it the same as you. Wot, wen, etc are very much of the English persuasion. I say say 'wh.'

Maybe because the predominant Saxon/Germanic/Norse/Dane influence almost makes the 'wh' sound like 'v' - as in 'vot is your name'?

TBH
16-Dec-07, 19:28
I have to admit I find it a bit annoying when people pronounce "loch" like "lock", but realise that if you haven't been brought up in Scotland or the likes of Germany.Or the Klingon home-world?:lol:

Cattach
16-Dec-07, 20:57

Just as many throughout the Highlandds have in their own areas - even Gaelic 'speaking' areas. Nothing to do with pronunciation just cost and commonsense. In Aberdeeshire they could claim signs should be in English, Doric and Gaelic. Other areas a similar problem. By the time you read the sign you would have driven past it!!!
I suppose in the USA there could be signs in English, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Ukrainian, German, French, Arabis, etc, etc.!!!!
Help ma bob I think I will lock myself in chains and jump in the loch.

George Brims
17-Dec-07, 21:13
I don't know about Calder, but the Gaelic name for Watten was Achingale, now preserved in Achingale Place.

Any Gaelic scholars out there who can tell us what the word means?

George Brims
17-Dec-07, 21:18
When explaining the pronunciation of a Scottish word such as "loch" I suggest that it is pronounced the same way as in "Bach" and that seems to help most non-Scots to understand. Although it is annoying to hear our words mis-pronounced, we should endeavour to educate and spread the word!;)
That'll do no good on this (western) side of the pond, as they pronounce the German composer the same way as the word for the reverse side.

My pet peeve over here is "scone" pronounced to rhyme with "moan" instead of "gone". I have got one or two "aha!' reactions when I explain that the former would mark one as a budding Hyacinth Bucket ("It's pronounced Bouquet"). Only 300 million -2 people to go!

Valerie Campbell
17-Dec-07, 21:20
I don't know about Calder, but the Gaelic name for Watten was Achingale, now preserved in Achingale Place.

Any Gaelic scholars out there who can tell us what the word means?

I know 'achadh' means field so maybe field of the Gael/Highlander? Just a stab in the dark though...

trix
18-Dec-07, 01:26
i used til drive ma auntie jackie crazy by callin her chackie :mad:

now its just chaq... :lol:

Jeemag_USA
18-Dec-07, 02:01

If your saying Lock your english or at least Saxon. The fact that Germans can say Loch perfectly proves the Celts are a Germanic race ;)

Here is a tip, if it doesn't sound like your hockin up a clocher you're not saying it right ;)

Metalattakk
18-Dec-07, 03:42
Here is a tip, if it doesn't sound like your hockin up a clocher you're not saying it right ;)

Ah, the inimitable 'clocher'. Onomatopoeic nirvana!

Rheghead
18-Dec-07, 03:57
If something as innocuous as saying 'lock' instead of 'loch' winds a few folk up then it can't be a bad thing, can it?:lol:

xx_chickie
18-Dec-07, 16:00
Welcome, Loch not Lock! Good username, and I'll definitely remember you now! Hehe.