PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes?

floyed
13-Dec-07, 17:44
Hi there , This might sound like a silly question, but do any of you know...

I have tomatoe's in the fridge the date on them says best before the 5th of december, are they ok to eat they look fine and are still firm??

Im really fussy about dates on food and dont usually eat anything over its date.:D

starry
13-Dec-07, 18:03
If they are still firm and look ok then I would eat them :D

Metalattakk
13-Dec-07, 18:11
The 'Best Before' date is pretty much irrelevant. What's important is the 'Use By' or 'Display Until' date. If that date has passed, I would bin them, even if they look fine.

Margaret M.
13-Dec-07, 18:16
Best before does not mean that they have to be tossed after that date. As expensive as tomatoes are, I would eat them if they taste fine.

connieb19
13-Dec-07, 18:25
I wouldn't worry about the date. If they look fine they'll be okay.

_Ju_
13-Dec-07, 19:10
Fruit and veg have arbitrary dates on them. If you follow the dates on some fruits you'd have to eat them green! Common sense prevails: if they look ok, with no mould or rotting bits, they are fine.

unicorn
13-Dec-07, 19:27
If you had bought them loose instead of packaged they wouldn't have a date on them anyway so as Ju says just have a feel and a look.

Loch not Lock
13-Dec-07, 19:30
If they are still hard they should just be about ripe by Christmas.

karia
13-Dec-07, 19:31
Agreed!:D

If you go into a supermarket you can buy Fruit and Veg loose or packaged.
The loose stuff doesn't come with a 'date'..you just use your common sense!

Try this:

1)Not ripe...wait
2)Ripe...eat now or soon
3)Over ripe...eat right away
4)Squelchy...put in a sauce or a soup... but not a salad
5)Bin

karia

karia
13-Dec-07, 19:49
Important addition in determining the state of fruit and veg!

If you could throw it at a politician and expect it to give a satisfying splat!.....then it's probably past eating, but still very useful!;)[lol]

karia

floyed
13-Dec-07, 21:20
Thanks for all your advice and help:D I will be enjoying them on toast tommorow morning mmmm:)

Tristan
13-Dec-07, 22:16
Tomatoes shouldn't be kept in the fridge. They loose whatever flavour they had.

spurtle
13-Dec-07, 22:20
The offending tomato should be safley placed in a lead lined casket and buried so it cannot enter the human food chain.
Beware of the killer tomatoes