PDA

View Full Version : Over the counter.

angela5
13-Dec-07, 14:14
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/13/npill113.xml

What do you think? Good or bad idea?

starry
13-Dec-07, 14:34
Can't really think of anything negative to say about it, I am happy to go with anything that will help cut the numbers of unwanted teenage pregnancies.

Camel Spider
13-Dec-07, 14:39
As a father of a teenage girl under 16 the only reservation I would have is that she would be able to obtain the pill without my permission. Arent we as parents supposed to supervise our kids until they are 16 ??

Or maybe I am just reluctant to stop seeing her as my little girl and accept that things are different to when I was 16.

TBH
13-Dec-07, 15:02
the Government was "desperate to be seen to be doing something" about teenage pregnancies but said "lack of availability of contraception is not the problem".They are doing something alright, burying their heads in the sand and hoping the problem will go away. They have failed and failed badly.

Margaret M.
13-Dec-07, 15:07
If giving girls easy access to a reliable contraceptive reduces the number of abortions and teen pregnancies then it is probably a good thing.

"Some of the drugs involved with contraception are not without side effects and I would be worried about making them available outside the care of a GP."

This is a concern but doctors don't take much time to discuss side effects either.

_Ju_
13-Dec-07, 15:07
I don't think it's a good idea. Each woman needs a pill apropriate for her. Doctors evaluate cases acording to age/types. Give guidance on use. Advise on the limitations of the pill (no protection against disease). I know people who were taking oral contraceptives under medical guidance and had to change their names......to mummy;).

starry
13-Dec-07, 15:25
As a father of a teenage girl under 16 the only reservation I would have is that she would be able to obtain the pill without my permission. Arent we as parents supposed to supervise our kids until they are 16 ??

Or maybe I am just reluctant to stop seeing her as my little girl and accept that things are different to when I was 16.

Any child/young person over the age of 12 is able to have fully confidential treatment with a GP or any professional without your knowledge.
As long as the professional is happy that the young person understand the implications of any treatment.

It is a really hard one isn't it :(

I just feel as one of the most backward countries in Europe concerning unwanted pregnancies and STIs we really need to take our heads out of our asses.

I do think teaching basic sex ed to children from age 5 to 6 as they do in Holland would dramatically reduce it but until they start doing this then I think the least we can do it make it as easy as possible for those who are going to have sex to make sure they don't get pregnant.

Thumper
13-Dec-07, 15:38
I think all in all it is a good idea,Young adults that are responsible enough to think about using the pill will be able to access it,the ones that dont think of the risks involved will probably carry on playing "russian roulette" with the health whether the pill is available or not.Just because they want to take the pill does not make them promiscious,most teenagers are now well aware that although the pill may protect from unwanted pregnancy it will not protect from STI's and will carry on using other forms of protection as well as it.The other good thing is that it may stop the use of the morning after pill as a "quick fix" as this cannot be good for anyone's body!I do think that we need to address the sex ed our kids get nowadays,it hasnt changed that much since I was in school! x

_Ju_
13-Dec-07, 16:01
I just feel as one of the most backward countries in Europe concerning unwanted pregnancies and STIs we really need to take our heads out of our asses.

I do think teaching basic sex ed to children from age 5 to 6 as they do in Holland would dramatically reduce it but until they start doing this then I think the least we can do it make it as easy as possible for those who are going to have sex to make sure they don't get pregnant.

I don't think there are that many unwanted pregnancies in this country. I am not convinced that ignorace is the cause of teenage pregnancy. I think that the current benefit system encourages young girls who want to escape home and believe that the government will help them in that escape if they have a child. They see no other options and that is where we fail our children.

starry
13-Dec-07, 16:30
Statistics showed that there were 9,040 teenage pregnancies in Scotland 2005 - up slightly from the previous year, when the total was 8,891.

That is way too many for me, I agree we are failing our children, but I disagree that the majority of girls are getting pregnant so they can claim benefits.
I think for some they just assume that that is all there is.

We need to be working with these girls to encourage them from an early age that they have many choices.

I have worked with many teenagers who have been pregnant or had pregnancies scares and in most cases it was simply a case of not using contraception, in some cases because they were too embarrassed to ask their partner to use a condom, some cases it was spur of the moment and no condom was available but I have to say mostly it was just unplanned sex after a night of drinking or simply not having the facts, like you won't get pregnant on the first time/if you stand up.........

Many girls under 15 won't seek the morning after pill or the pill because the believe that it will lead to their partner being charged. Some will ask older girls to buy it for them, which really is veering into dangerous medical practise.

I know of at least two girls who have had terminations without their parents knowledge.
We are way off the mark with most of the guidelines and policies for dealing with underage sex.

We need to tackle the whole thing, how we use sex to sell everything, the drinking and probably much more I can't think of just now.

Ash
13-Dec-07, 16:44
im not sure if its a good thing to be sold over the counter, when i was under the age of 16 i was on pill due to period problems, i think you should still need a doctors advice because like many have said its not just used to stop pregnancy......

starry
13-Dec-07, 16:53
My understanding it the chemist will give consultations as would a GP.

To be honest studies show that there is not a great deal of difference in figures from areas where contraception is available and areas where it isn't, but geographically I still think it being available from chemists is a good idea.

To tackle the real problem I think we need better sex education, given at a younger age and parents need to be more involved than they are at present.

angela5
13-Dec-07, 19:54
My understanding it the chemist will give consultations as would a GP.

The pharmacist doesn't know the person as well as the doctor, the pill can be dangerous to some.
I think the pharmacist is busy enough without this extra workload, it's not just the case of handing the pill over, these young girls need advice and in a private enviroment. Family planning is the place they should be getting the pill along with condoms and advice on STD's.
I believe the chemist in Macarthur st has a private consultation room, i'm not sure about the rest. That's a busy chemist, has the pharmacist time to sit down with a teenager and give her all the help and advice she needs? What about nosey Miss x in buying her bunion cream?? it'll be hot news who is in getting the pill.:confused

karia
13-Dec-07, 20:07
I pretty much agree fully with everything Starry has said but like Angela 5 I think that a Family planning clinic is more equipped with information and expertise.

The great bonus of having a Pharmacist deal with this is that it offers some anonimity despite the chance of being overheard and I think most Pharmacies are now obliged to provide private consultation areas.

Sadly if you are 16 and spotted at a Family Planning Clinic..it's pretty clear why you are there.

Young women responsible enough to be seeking advice and support on these issues are surely to be encouraged in so doing and 'positive experiences' they have will be passed down to younger siblings etc.

Karia

starry
13-Dec-07, 20:28
I agree a family planning clinic would be my first choice for information and prescriptions.
But when it not possible for younger girls to get there, then I think having the pill available at chemist as well as at GPs is a good move.

orkneylass
13-Dec-07, 22:14
Why would you stop any measure that made it easier for those who have made their mind up to have sex to obtain contraception? Surely it's a no brainer. Access to sex education and contraception do not encourage underage sex - low self-esteem, little ambition for the future, underage drinking and coming from a loveless home all increase your risk. We need to tackle these issues.

lady penelope
13-Dec-07, 22:43
I think cutting teenage pregnancy is a good thing. What worries me is STI's are on the increase and young girls taking the pill will still be very unprotected by their contraception. My teenage boys have known about protection as soon as I felt it appropriate for them. Safe sex is very important.

Mr_Me19
14-Dec-07, 08:48
I think its a good ideal. I am 16 (as is my girlfriend) and just now we don't have access to the pill because she is put off having to go to the doctors for it. If it was available at the chemist then we would use it. We have never been with anyone else and yet would still continue to use condoms as well as the pill. You can never be too safe.

If there isn't a great risk of STD's then whats wrong with making the pill available over the counter?

_Ju_
14-Dec-07, 14:38
If there isn't a great risk of STD's then whats wrong with making the pill available over the counter?

It sometimes has secondary effects, some quite serious. If it is not the right pill for that woman, she might become pregnant. If the woman does not read the bula that comes with medication, she might not realise that when taking certain antibiotics and/or other medications the pill becomes ineffective. I really believe in family planning in a huge way, but I don't think selling hormones without a prescription is safe enough.

lady penelope
14-Dec-07, 16:50
Peer pressure,rather than lack of morality, or just getting carried away with the moment leads to unwanted pregnancy and STI's.
Teaching children from a young age about love and respect through example is what is needed.
If young adults think they are old enough to have a loving relationship then they need to make the right decisions about contaception.
Hopefully the pill being easily accessible will make a difference to lots of teenagers lives in a positive way.