PDA

View Full Version : OTT Christmas decorations

karia
12-Dec-07, 18:50
While I am sure that my fellow orgers have far too much taste to go overboard with the ol' lights and inflatable Santa's...is anyone currently being dazzled by their neighbours' lack of restraint?

The people directly opposite me are putting the national grid in jeopardy..and they add to it every day until Christmas.

They already have the light up Christmas trees... in every window!
Inflatable snowman and Santa..12ft each in garden
Flashing santa and reindeers on window
Blue lights all round the garden
Red, blue and green lights inside the windows
Three Angels..all illuminated
Merry Christmas sign in lights...like we don't know!:roll:
An illuminated dog kennel

and they have almost 2 weeks to add stuff which experience tells me they will do!

Thank goodness we aren't on an aircraft flight path:lol:

karia

percy toboggan
12-Dec-07, 18:55
For once we are in agreement.
The silly woman not quit eopposite has spent a fortune on lovely wrought iron railings recently, and has now festooned them in flashing lights!

There are several examples of excess around here but none has gone completely over the top.
Lights in windows are okay but when people start to drape ,lights OUTSIDE their house - beyond a couple of strands - one questions their sanity.

We know it's approaching Christmas,. So what is the point ? Are they simply thick? Do they have too much money to spend. Are they fascinated by flashing lights? Whatever the answer this is a further small sign of a society in freefall towards the nuthouse and the greenhouse (think about it) .

It's all about class. Those who go over the top in the manner you describe do not have any.

Ash
12-Dec-07, 18:56
Me Personally think that sounds tacky!!

i have a tree up, window with Belle from beauty and the beast on it for the wee one, tinsel on some picture frames and candles but it looks nice, im not keen on lots of xmas decorations

karia
12-Dec-07, 19:08
I am having to resist the urge to send them a card with the simple seasonal message:

'Electricity Bill' :D

Karia

George Brims
12-Dec-07, 19:16
You three grinches better not come over to the US around this time of year! All those displays sound modest. Some streets here get into a competition and go completely over the top. One neighbour near our last house used to have a whole set of mini runway lights running across his roof, ending in a huge sign reading "Santa land here" by the chimney.

Some such displays end up as a drive-by attraction. A family in a wealthier area near us used to decorate their house so much that their electricity bill ran into the thousands. They had a crew of two or three guys working full time putting the stuff up from the beginning of October!. On a frosty night, you could actually feel the warmth coming off all those lights, and if you looked up and shielded your eyes from the glow of the house you could see scorries and vultures riding the thermal! They used to put out collection bins for the "Toys for Tots" campaign and collected thousands of toys for needy children. Eventually however, they had to give it all up as their neighbours were getting sick of the congestion and coming home to find cars parked across (or in!) their driveways.

If you want to see some stoaters, look here:

http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/

unicorn
12-Dec-07, 19:31
If people take the time to match things by colour and type then it can be absolutely beautiful to see, as opposed to "oh there's a space lets cram something in it" I really appreciate well thought out displays and the work that goes into them.

percy toboggan
12-Dec-07, 19:39
I am having to resist the urge to send them a card with the simple seasonal message:

'Electricity Bill' :D

Karia

I heard an authorative source on BBC radio four this morning say a typical display of excessive o.t.t. outdoor Christmas lights will only put about seven quid a week on a typical electric bill.

l/m

percy toboggan
12-Dec-07, 19:41
But Americans are famed for ott and extravagant behaviur - it seems almost fitting there. I grew up in an austere, reserved Britain, and grew to quite like it you see. Hence the grumpiness. We simply don't do ostentation very well at all. Understatement is the name of the game - or it used to be.

connieb19
12-Dec-07, 19:44
IMO anything other than a tree looks kack.

karia
12-Dec-07, 19:45
I heard an authorative source on BBC radio four this morning say a typical display of excessive o.t.t. outdoor Christmas lights will only put about seven quid a week on a typical electric bill.

l

Looks like there's nothing for it but to crawl across the street under cover of darkness and..

...Darn it..there is no darkness!:mad:

Karia

Moby
12-Dec-07, 19:49
Bah humbug - I say each to their own and anything that gives the kids (or adults) a smile in my book is OK. My personal favourite is this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks

I just wish I had the time, the patience and the money to put on such a display!! Not my thing but the kids and I still will head on up to Springpark every year to see "The Christmas house".;)

Ash
12-Dec-07, 19:51
Bah humbug - I say each to their own and anything that gives the kids (or adults) a smile in my book is OK. My personal favourite is this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks)

I just wish I had the time, the patience and the money to put on such a display!! Not my thing but the kids and I still will head on up to Springpark every year to see "The Christmas house".;)

i know where you mean, we were up last night with the wee one as my parents live that way

percy toboggan
12-Dec-07, 20:15
I'm not agin giving kids a smile so I withdraw all my negativity. So long as it's not opposite my gaffe.

Sorry.

karia
12-Dec-07, 20:22
Perhaps we could make everyone happy with a 'light' curfew!:D

Karia

honey
12-Dec-07, 20:33
i quite like the OTT houses you see down here.. mind you, it gets a bit much when they are up in the middle of november!!