PDA

View Full Version : Overstepping bandwidth allowance

Stargazer
10-Dec-07, 18:33
Last month we went over our 5GB bandwidth and got a warning letter from our ISP provider along with a suggestion to upgrade to a more expensive package.
Is there any way I can monitor the bandwidth we are using to prevent overstepping our limit?

lazytown
10-Dec-07, 18:57
You could run a program like bandwidtrh monitor

http://www.bwmonitor.com/

This one cost $19.99 but seems to exactly what u want, you can set limits so it will warn you when you reach various limits etc

I am sure there is free ones out there as well though.

Stargazer
11-Dec-07, 18:09
Thanks Lazytown, I'll look for freebies first but this will help me know what to look for.

maidencaithness
12-Dec-07, 00:32
Last month we went over our 5GB bandwidth and got a warning letter from our ISP provider along with a suggestion to upgrade to a more expensive package.
Is there any way I can monitor the bandwidth we are using to prevent overstepping our limit?

Go to www.majorgeeks.com (http://forum.caithness.org/www.majorgeeks.com) and go to the monitoring section are several bandwidth applications and a couple are freeware.

This site is always my first port of call for things like this.

Metalattakk
12-Dec-07, 01:25
Have a search for an application called NetMeter.

A free, tiny program and it'll tell you exactly how much bandwidth (both up and down) you use on a monthly, weekly, daily or hourly rate. It'll also alert you at whatever limit you configure, and it hogs virtually no resources.

lazytown
12-Dec-07, 02:31
Have a search for an application called NetMeter.

A free, tiny program and it'll tell you exactly how much bandwidth (both up and down) you use on a monthly, weekly, daily or hourly rate. It'll also alert you at whatever limit you configure, and it hogs virtually no resources.

looks exactly what stargazer is looking for.

I had to laugh though while looking at the options that it is allowing you to measure MiB and GiB.:lol:

Welldone on such a free find though, looks like it will do the job required.