PDA

View Full Version : Plasterers - whats the going rate?

exothermic
17-Sep-05, 16:48
I'd love to find a reasonably priced plasterer. I've had silly quotes of around £700-£1000 for an 8'x10' bedroom (four walls & ceiling). At that price, I like the current finish!

teddybear1873
17-Sep-05, 17:58
well it all depends in whats invloved..does the walls and ceiling need stripped..is`the ceiling getting plasterboarded then skimmed...who is supplying the materials...i was a plasterer for 15 years and it will take 2 men at least 3 days to do if it's a full room...mayb try and and get the job done on a casher....your talking at the minimum £10 per hour on a cash job

exothermic
17-Sep-05, 18:09
Thanks for that. The ceiling is stripped and the walls are a mixture of new plasterboard and stripped. If its a casher job...is it best to provide materials or is that "teaching Grandma to suck eggs" ? :lol:

Rheghead
17-Sep-05, 18:33
I got a jobber to do some plastering for me but he was very unreliable. But I observed him a only couple of times to learn how he did it. So I eventually got rid of him and did the plastering myself.

It is surprisingly easy, it just takes guts to go ahead to do it. I did such a good job that my father even trusted me to do a bit on his house, that was a real confidence boost.

I say have a look in DIY books and the internet and have a go. You have got nothing to lose except the money for materials and £1000 to save...

teddybear1873
17-Sep-05, 19:12
i can tell u rheghead plastering is not easy...it takes a persona a few years to master..u have to make sure u screed the walls perfectly plumb or u run into all kinds of problems..v seen plenty brickies and painters have a crack at it and i can tell you some made a right hips of it...as for the materials exothermic if your getting a tradesman to do it on a casher get him to get the materials..it all depends on what struture the walls are....if it's brick get carlite bonding...if it's block get carlite browning..as for the top coat its carlite finishing...if u can put some hydrated lime in the finishing cause its polishes better...as for the plasterboard use bonding.....good luck...hope it works out ok

watman
21-Sep-05, 14:17
I had someone at my house who said that they do plastering on the side. He skimmed the walls on my bathroom and bedroom. The work was so rough and what a mess was left behind and this crazy individual tried to charge me an extortionate price. I was only willing to pay half the money he was asking for and i will never get someone who is not properly qualified into my house again. It pays to look around and get a proper skilled tradesman and not some cowboy who claims they can do the work on the side.