PDA

View Full Version : weird question any answers?

young_fishin_neep
05-Dec-07, 22:55
okay so me and mum went to wick tonight and the S in tescos wasnt lit up. so naturally i asked what kind of bulb it took, i thought it was like the florescent tube light that we have in the kitchen mum laughed at me but unable to give me an answer.

any body any idea? i guess theres alot of volts anyway :)

kazzii xxxxx

Tugmistress
05-Dec-07, 22:57
I did not laugh at you i laughed because i haven't a clue ... me an electrickery are not the best of friends ;)

emb123
05-Dec-07, 23:23
Wick Tesco makes a big deal about the fact that it has a 50% lower carbon footprint than similar stores, and the latest designs in illuminated store lettering use large quantities of white ultra-bright LEDs to help keep the current consumption very low, also the voltagetends to be low, and they even have the advantage that being self-contained, they are pretty much indestructible in everyday use.

Could be that they are using old technology and it's just neon bulbs and high current drain and the bulb's gone. A slight oversight when working out the carbon footprint maybe :)

... either that or they have a dodgy connection.

Would love to know the answer to this too!

young_fishin_neep
06-Dec-07, 09:37
yea thats true mum :)

emb - that all when over my head lol! atleast im not the only one that would like to know!

kazzii xxxx

northener
06-Dec-07, 10:25
It's a drive to reduce energy consumption.

By switching off a different letter every day they can save 20% of the total power usage for that sign.

ett23
06-Dec-07, 10:51

By switching off a different letter every day they can save 20% of the total power usage for that sign.

Smart thinking northener! Takes someone very intelligent to come up with that plan of action!!! ;)

emb123
06-Dec-07, 11:39

ROFL!! very funny!

horseman
06-Dec-07, 16:57

Should they not make the sign to switch off an on at set intervals, thereby saving power an attracting attiontion?

northener
06-Dec-07, 19:50
They thought about that, but were afraid of inducing a mass fit of epilepsy amongst the good people of Wick.....

Suppose you could put up a sign (non-flashing) that said:

"Warning! The flashing Tesco sign contains flashing Tesco...er....um sign er...thingys...going on and off.......so don't look at it!"

Julia
06-Dec-07, 20:51

Why don't they leave it switched off during the day, say between 9am and 3pm, and bung it back on for the darkness falling?

karia
06-Dec-07, 20:54
Won't be buying my lightbulbs fae tesco's then!:lol::lol:

Karia

Thumper
06-Dec-07, 22:34

well I suppose...every little helps ;):)

bluelady
07-Dec-07, 13:34
well. me and OH were in there yesterday and they had several leaks in the roof and buckets on the floor - usual Caithness shop thing-[lol] so perhaps the rain had got into that one being in the middle, or theory 2, maybe it's a ploy to get people to go in and ask, and shop whilst they are there :lol:

young_fishin_neep
07-Dec-07, 13:44
well. me and OH were in there yesterday and they had several leaks in the roof and buckets on the floor - usual Caithness shop thing-[lol] so perhaps the rain had got into that one being in the middle, or theory 2, maybe it's a ploy to get people to go in and ask, and shop whilst they are there :lol:

i did think about asking whilst i was in there but decided against it as i was to embarassed lol

kazzii xxx

bluelady
08-Dec-07, 01:24
they were all off today at 3pm

William
08-Dec-07, 02:41
Do the lights have 2 different brightnesses or some thing? one day the sign said TE CO the next time i saw it it said TESCO then again it was back to TE CO it only seemed to be later on at night that it said TE CO durring the day it seemed fine

hotrod4
08-Dec-07, 09:20
Do the lights have 2 different brightnesses or some thing? one day the sign said TE CO the next time i saw it it said TESCO then again it was back to TE CO it only seemed to be later on at night that it said TE CO durring the day it seemed fine

Maybe superman needed the "S".
So every time theres not an "S" you know Superman is saving the world!!! :)