PDA

View Full Version : smokers/tesco

danc1ngwitch
02-Dec-07, 15:51
went to testco in wick today, my 5 year old picks up this nearly whole lit ciggarette. He nearly burnt himself and then his sister throwing it away. I don't smoke so he has no sense with these horrible things.
There are trays available for the people who do smoke to throw away in. I had a word wea the floor manager, and suggested a few signs etc to help encourage people to use the ash trays.
The manager there was very understanding, but that won't help the ones who smoke out at the door and throw lit ciggarettes away.:roll:

ett23
02-Dec-07, 16:00
Wot a shame I would be so annoyed if that had happened to my 5 yr old! Mind you she'd be more likely to stamp on it that pick it up!! (she's not keen on smoke or fire).

Ash
02-Dec-07, 16:02
the streets are a mess with cigarettes, its disgusting! everywhere you look there is cigarette ends!

people complain about litter so why shouldnt smokers dispose of there cigarette ends!

MadPict
02-Dec-07, 16:36
Was it Billy Connolly who said "The world is like an ashtray, it is full of little doubts"?

More so now eh?......

angela5
02-Dec-07, 16:45
the streets are a mess with cigarettes, its disgusting! everywhere you look there is cigarette ends!

people complain about litter so why shouldnt smokers dispose of there cigarette ends!

Cigarette ends are not as bad a dog poo that litters our streets.

weeksider
02-Dec-07, 17:10
Most Bars/Hotels/Clubs in town have ashtrays/bins outside their premises but they are hardly ever used as people throw there dupes aways , making the areas DIRTY and unhealthy looking to locals and visitors to the town.
The people who own the bars should tidy it up ,most of them do but a lot just leave it lying at there doors /entrances.

dandod
02-Dec-07, 17:29
went to testco in wick today, my 5 year old picks up this nearly whole lit ciggarette. He nearly burnt himself and then his sister throwing it away. I don't smoke so he has no sense with these horrible things.
There are trays available for the people who do smoke to throw away in. I had a word wea the floor manager, and suggested a few signs etc to help encourage people to use the ash trays.
The manager there was very understanding, but that won't help the ones who smoke out at the door and throw lit ciggarettes away.:roll:

i agree i always use the ashtrays. at tesco or wherever i am. the strrets are bed enough with dog poo every corner you turn. whats next syringes or other drug paraphinalia.

Julia
02-Dec-07, 17:35
I get really mad when I'm trying to get my son in a baby trolley surrounded by smokers, more often than not I just drag the trolley with me and put him in it inside the shop away from the smokers. It might not seem much to a smoker but being a non-smoker if you get a huge whiff of smoke it's absolutely disgusting! Can't they have the courtesy to smoke away from the entrance.

While I'm having a moan, it also bugs me that folk without kids park in the parent and child parking!

angela5
02-Dec-07, 17:39
I haven't come across a crowd/single smoker outside tesco yet!
People who have no children parking in the 'parents bay' really bugs me too.

Royster1911
02-Dec-07, 17:40

I always taught my kids not to pick anything up off the street apart from litter. They still do it to this day. As an ex-puffer, shame on the ones leaving hot butt ends around. Nice to know that your 5 yr old had the foresight to dispose of the litter properly though!:confused

karia
02-Dec-07, 17:47
To get in or out of any supermarket these days you have to hold your breath and dive through the smokers.:(

Karia

Royster1911
02-Dec-07, 17:59
To get in or out of any supermarket these days you have to hold your breath and dive through the smokers.:(

Karia
Yup. as an ex-smoker I was guilty of that charge. I now find it disgusting (hypocrite) having to weave through the people SMOKING in the entrance to the co-op in Thurso.

Ash
02-Dec-07, 18:10
Yup. as an ex-smoker I was guilty of that charge. I now find it disgusting (hypocrite) having to weave through the people SMOKING in the entrance to the co-op in Thurso.

oh i know what you mean, i find it hard, cough like mad, smells vile!

worse when i have my 3year old

angela5
02-Dec-07, 18:14

Karia

To get around the supermarket you sometimes need to hold your breath when the ones that have never heard of 'soap' are about!

Ash
02-Dec-07, 18:29
To get around the supermarket you sometimes need to hold your breath when the ones that have never heard of 'soap' are about!

haha soo true!!!:lol:

johno
02-Dec-07, 19:21

that,s true Ash & the other filthy habit ,chewing gum, see the mess that leaves,surely it,s easy enough to put that in a bin also.[disgust]

unicorn
02-Dec-07, 19:31
I would rather see a cigarette end on the street than a big gob of snottery spit, That is the one that turns my stomach so bad.

karia
02-Dec-07, 19:38
I am always fascinated by the gender divide on spitting..men seem to think it is necessary on occasion and women find it intolerable.

I have had three nasty bouts of bronchitis and NEVER been reduced to spitting in the street...!

Tissues..A simple yet effective invention!:roll:

I must add that my OH is in total agreement....thank god!:eek:

karia

unicorn
02-Dec-07, 19:41
no I absolutely think that tissues should always be used, it is a vile thing to do. Spitting out chunks of your germs for others to stand in yuck :eek:

gem1982
02-Dec-07, 22:14
even as a smoker I am in agreement with all of the above. I very rarely smoke outside anyway like if I am walking down the street doing my shopping well I have other things on my mind rather than be puffing away. If for some reason i do have a smoke outside I always use an ashtray cos now with the smoking ban it is very unlikely that you wont find one outside of a pub or even shops or if there is none around I always look for a drain to put it down. There really is no excuse for throwing away fag ends it is at the end of the day littering and especially not leaving lit fag ends somewhere a young child could pick them up I would be raging if that had happened to one of my kids.

Wick hospital has introduced a policy now where you can not smoke on their grounds ie at their front door so maybe Tesco could look at introducing something like that.

wifie
02-Dec-07, 22:57
sorry gem but down the drain is not very helpful either - outta sight outta mind I suppose? Good for Wick hospital though. Nightmare going shopping anywhere now as there are always people smoking outside in doorways (I think there is actually a distance rule but not sure what it is).

Julia
02-Dec-07, 23:35
I think there is actually a distance rule but not sure what it is.

I thought so too but unfortunately there is no specific distance.

even as a smoker I am in agreement with all of the above. I very rarely smoke outside anyway like if I am walking down the street doing my shopping well I have other things on my mind rather than be puffing away.

When I used to smoke I would very rarely smoke while out walking, my mum always said it didn't look ladylike.

mccaugm
03-Dec-07, 00:14
[evil][evil]
Most Bars/Hotels/Clubs in town have ashtrays/bins outside their premises but they are hardly ever used as people throw there dupes aways , making the areas DIRTY and unhealthy looking to locals and visitors to the town.
The people who own the bars should tidy it up ,most of them do but a lot just leave it lying at there doors /entrances.

Dontcha just hate going into a building and having to walk through the fug of smoke of folk who insist on smoking just outside the door. It looks untidy, smells terrible, they should smoke in a more secluded spot.

gem1982
03-Dec-07, 00:54
sorry gem but down the drain is not very helpful either - outta sight outta mind I suppose? Good for Wick hospital though. Nightmare going shopping anywhere now as there are always people smoking outside in doorways (I think there is actually a distance rule but not sure what it is).

Hiya Wifie,

I know it is not very helpful either but as I said I very rarely do it in fact I so rarely do it I could probably say I am bordering on never do it but when I do I ensure that I dispose of my cigarette end in an appropriate fashion, I will either put it out in an ashtray, or stub it out completely check it 3 times or so (for fear of starting a fire) then throw it in a normal bin or as a last resort I will put it down the drain. At the end of the day, people are going to smoke it is a fact of life and one that will never go away, the government make too much money from the sale of tobacco to ban smoking altogether but what smokers should do is be a bit more respectful to others. I for one am all for the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants and I am all for bringing regulations to cut down on people littering in the streets by throwing away their fag ends.

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-07, 16:00
But yet people moan about the fella in the rain selling his mags.
I hate the stink of smoke as you go into the store and coming out and your always watchin the children incase they run face first into someone chatting an wavin a fag around.
I recall my eldest daughters ballon being burst on the street in wick long time ago by a smoker

quiteone
03-Dec-07, 23:57
i smoke and i dont stand outside tesco smokin and to be honest its only an odd couple o people smoking anyway usually waiting for a taxi. the ashtray thing they have is round at the door that doesnt open. and as now smokers cant smoke in pubs or anywhere else indoors we r left with little choice but to smoke outside. in wick there is nowhere to put fag ends as there is in citys every ten steps theres somewhere for ur fag ends. maybe us smokers should have our own special time to go shopping as not to offend non-smokers??!!:roll::roll:

nikki
04-Dec-07, 14:03
I smoke and I always make sure Im standing away from the door When I do. To be honest any time Im up at Tesco (or any other supermarket) there usually isnt anyone standing outside smoking, maybe one or two away from the door waiting for a taxi. Maybe the crowds that some people have seen smoking right at the door arrive just after I leave though...
And to be honest Im starting to get tired of people complaning about walking past smokers when leaving pubs, even though it doesnt affect me. Most of the people complaining are the people who were all for the smoking ban, they got what they asked for, but they're still not happy. would you rather get rid of the smoking ban so you wouldnt have to pass them at the door, or keep it so you dont put up with the smoke inside?
Rant over...

Ash
04-Dec-07, 14:05
why on earth should non smokers have to inhale others bad habits! its disgusting!

[evil]

nikki
04-Dec-07, 14:19
But my point is, smokers are already having to stand outside so you dont inhale it, the percentage of smoke being inhaled is reduced because of the increased ventilation outside, so rather than inhaling smoke as you would inside your really just getting the smell of it, for all of two seconds while you walk past the people smoking. What I was trying to get at is, this country has already improved the situation for non-smokers (ie, smoking in enclosed public spaces is now banned), but some people will never be happy until smoking is banned altogether, and as many people have said, I doubt this will happen anytime soon because of the amount of money the country makes through taxes on tabacco.

Camel Spider
04-Dec-07, 14:38
why on earth should non smokers have to inhale others bad habits! its disgusting!

[evil]

Well I know people who smoke but dont drive. They have to inhale the exhaust fumes of self righteous non smokers who whinge on about having to even get a whiff of cigarette smoke.

So do these people have the right to tell you not to drive into the Tesco Car Park because of the fumes your car pumps out ??

Ash
04-Dec-07, 14:44
Well I know people who smoke but dont drive. They have to inhale the exhaust fumes of self righteous non smokers who whinge on about having to even get a whiff of cigarette smoke.

So do these people have the right to tell you not to drive into the Tesco Car Park because of the fumes your car pumps out ??

well i dont do either, i dont like car fumes either

mccaugm
04-Dec-07, 15:07
I smoke and I always make sure Im standing away from the door When I do. To be honest any time Im up at Tesco (or any other supermarket) there usually isnt anyone standing outside smoking, maybe one or two away from the door waiting for a taxi. Maybe the crowds that some people have seen smoking right at the door arrive just after I leave though...
And to be honest Im starting to get tired of people complaning about walking past smokers when leaving pubs, even though it doesnt affect me. Most of the people complaining are the people who were all for the smoking ban, they got what they asked for, but they're still not happy. would you rather get rid of the smoking ban so you wouldnt have to pass them at the door, or keep it so you dont put up with the smoke inside?
Rant over...

In a perfect world I would prefer nobody smoked at all. Back to reality, I feel smokers should smoke out of sight, smell and view of peple who choose not to smoke.
On a personal note, I go to college and very often have to pass a crowd of people smoking at the front door. They have a smoke shed at the back but are unwilling to use although I do not know why.

golach
04-Dec-07, 15:15
In a perfect world I would prefer nobody smoked at all. Back to reality, I feel smokers should smoke out of sight, smell and view of peple who choose not to smoke.

As an ex smoker myself, do you want smokers to have a bell and go around shouting "Unclean Unclean" whilst ringing the bell to warn non smokers?, The Non Smokers until recently were quite happy to stand beside us in a pub sharing our drinks and jokes and banter, there is no pleasing some folk

dandod
04-Dec-07, 16:34
On a personal note, I go to college and very often have to pass a crowd of people smoking at the front door. They have a smoke shed at the back but are unwilling to use although I do not know why.

i get offende by the smell of people who dont wash but i wold never ask the to stay out of sight because i choose to wash everyday. i am a smoker and not ashamed of it.its a pesonal choice as is washing everyday.

jings00
04-Dec-07, 16:40
I would rather see a cigarette end on the street than a big gob of snottery spit, That is the one that turns my stomach so bad.

havin the dry boaks just readin this!! groooooooooo! <heave>
can't even enjoy the fitba if a player does the clearing the nose bit. gads.
i smoke, put ma tabbies in the bin or smoke receptacle available, or doon the drain if nothin about. i dont like walkin thro clouds of smoke either though.

angela5
04-Dec-07, 17:10
I feel smokers should smoke out of sight, smell and view of peple who choose not to smoke.

Where do you suggest putting smokers then?:confused

angela5
04-Dec-07, 17:14

[evil]

Smokers are now out of pubs/clubs etc, they are smoking outside. I'm quite sure your not standing out in the fresh air choking on ciggy smoke!:confused

mccaugm
04-Dec-07, 17:22
Where do you suggest putting smokers then?:confused

Allocated smoke sheds or at the back of buildings so I, who choose not to smoke, do not have to breath in the "fug and filthy air" (a semi quote from Macbeth).

angela5
04-Dec-07, 17:26
Allocated smoke sheds or at the back of buildings so I, who choose not to smoke, do not have to breath in the "fug and filthy air" (a semi quote from Macbeth).

What about the ones that smoke walking along the street:confused Should that be banned?
Or as suggested above, they wear bells to alert the non-smokers that 'fug and filthy air is on it's way'

nikki
04-Dec-07, 17:27
"On a personal note, I go to college and very often have to pass a crowd of people smoking at the front door. They have a smoke shed at the back but are unwilling to use although I do not know why."
Is it Thurso college?

quiteone
04-Dec-07, 21:23
why dont the nonsmokers wear masks when they go shoppin then they wouldna choke to death in the 'great huge clouds of smoke' outside......... theres worse thing than fag smoke, and i have just as much right to stand and smoke as a nonsmoker has the rite NOT to smoke!!!!

Ash
04-Dec-07, 21:32
why dont the nonsmokers wear masks when they go shoppin then they wouldna choke to death in the 'great huge clouds of smoke' outside......... theres worse thing than fag smoke, and i have just as much right to stand and smoke as a nonsmoker has the rite NOT to smoke!!!!

oh god actually say that out loud and hear how stupid that sounds!

angela5
04-Dec-07, 21:36
oh god actually say that out loud and hear how stupid that sounds!

What part Ash....the bit about non-smokers moaning about 'choking on clouds of smoke', Aye ain't it daft!

Ash
04-Dec-07, 21:38
Smokers are now out of pubs/clubs etc, they are smoking outside. I'm quite sure your not standing out in the fresh air choking on ciggy smoke!:confused

so i take it your a smoker, why dont people understand as a non smoker why i dont want to inhale any cigarette smoke at all, the stench of it sticks to your clothes, dont say it doesnt because it does, u cant go in anywhere now without having to go through a pile of smokers, there everywhere!

quiteone
04-Dec-07, 21:39
its sarcasm.............., i wish i had sooo little goin on in my life to worry and complain about smokers. smokers smoke thats what they do. it wont change. i think its worse when u go to tesco and parents let their kids run riot round the place or gossips clogging the aisles with thur trolleys whilst thur kids run mad.

changilass
04-Dec-07, 21:41
They are everywhere cos they got kicked outta the pubs, at least you knew where to avoid before, can I ask where you suggest the smokers do go so as not to offend.

No good saying in their own homes, even smokers work for a living, go shopping ect.

quiteone
04-Dec-07, 21:44
oh come on......its not clouds of smoke, thats so over the top!! and yes i am a smoker but i dont stand outside smoking. and if i did, all i am saying is i have every rite to. its only seconds that ur passing thru the doorways anyway then ur in a smoke free zone again....

Ash
04-Dec-07, 21:45
i could tell the smokers where they could go but would prob get a warning:lol:

changilass
04-Dec-07, 21:48
Was looking for constructive comments

quiteone
04-Dec-07, 21:48
well off course smoke smells no-one is denying that. the reason we are outside is cos nonsmokers wanted that!!!!! nonsmokers are never happy!!!!

Ash
04-Dec-07, 21:52
i am happy that i can now take my 3year old out and not have her inhaling cigarette smoke, very happy, however im not happy that SOME smokers dont dispose of their cigarette ends in an appropriate way, this is what the thread was about, im not happy that whilst waiting for a taxi, or coming out of a shop-supermarket or pub you have to inhale the smoke, why on earth should i be happy!

alanatkie
04-Dec-07, 21:55
Why shouldn't you be happy. The smokers are no longer in the pubs/cafes so you dont have to inhale the smoke there. You are only passing them when you are exiting or entering somewhere. Get realistic - Where would you suggest they go - maybe start their own little community for smokers only :roll:

karia
04-Dec-07, 22:14
'Persperation is just as bad'....No...it really isnae!:eek:

At worst it is offensive... but no-one ever died from inhaling it...unlike passive smoking!

Karia ..an ex smoker

unicorn
04-Dec-07, 22:14
it's funny really to me that since the smoking ban came in there has been a general witch hunt against smokers, now being honest the other main topic right now is obesity yeah? now would it be as socially acceptable to say things about walking past overweight people who may smell??
No personal comments about anyone here just a question in general as this is a big topic also at the moment. It's ok to complain to smokers that they stink but would you go up to someone who was 40 stone and say sheesh you stink??? No I doubt it.

unicorn
04-Dec-07, 22:16
'Persperation is just as bad'....No...it really isnae!:eek:

At worst it is offensive... but no-one ever died from inhaling it...unlike passive smoking!

Karia ..an ex smoker

But passive smoking is no longer the huge problem it was as there is a ban on smoking indoors, so most of that problem has now been fixed surely.

connieb19
04-Dec-07, 22:26
Smoking in shop doorways is disgusting. Why should anyone, especially kids have to inhale someone elses smoke before they can go into a shop? [disgust]

karia
04-Dec-07, 22:42
But passive smoking is no longer the huge problem it was as there is a ban on smoking indoors, so most of that problem has now been fixed surely.

Appreciate what you are saying Unicorn and Hope you are right!

It can't be compared to obesity though..you can't inhale someones desire to overeat.

Walking past someone who is 40 stone as per your example..is not going to tempt me to follow suit.or endanger my health or sensibilities by walking past them..possibly much the opposite!

karia

Camel Spider
04-Dec-07, 23:39
Smoking in shop doorways is disgusting. Why should anyone, especially kids have to inhale someone elses smoke before they can go into a shop? [disgust]

Well I am six foot tall and when I exhale the smoke it goes up. So unless there are some 8 foot children out there I dont think they have much to worry about.

Plus the Caithness wind tends to blow the smoke away anyway surely ?

Highland Laddie
05-Dec-07, 00:05
im not happy that whilst waiting for a taxi, or coming out of a shop-supermarket or pub you have to inhale the smoke, why on earth should i be happy!

Maybe if your so concerned about your kids health, you should walk home instead of polluting the air with diesel fumes from a taxi, and no, i am not a smoker, but someone who can see how bias this thread is.

Anne x
05-Dec-07, 00:35
As an ex smoker myself, do you want smokers to have a bell and go around shouting "Unclean Unclean" whilst ringing the bell to warn non smokers?, The Non Smokers until recently were quite happy to stand beside us in a pub sharing our drinks and jokes and banter, there is no pleasing some folk

I agree the whole pub culture has vanished as whoever says there is a danger now of Middle class and I quote people drinking at home far too much because they dont go to pubs and pour large measures so do they (1) go to a pub go outside to smoke and be misereable or
( 2 ) Drink themselves to death at home with a cigarette
before anyone gets on there high horse about cigarettes it is not a nice habit and damages the health and a total addiction like some many other things in society (3 ) obesity (4 ) Anorexia (5) tv Reality shows (6 ) the org be it a good addiction !!!

triger
05-Dec-07, 03:28
i could tell the smokers where they could go but would prob get a warning:lol:
Well ash where would you suggest they flick their ash,I think to bring a law in like that is a good thing.But there should have been some concessions like allowing there to be smoking venuse as well as none smoking ones.Its all about choice really.To me the government has played right into the tobacco companies hands.What better advertisement can you get than a crowd of people standing out side pubs clubs and ,well Thurso college having a drag of a fag.

Ash
05-Dec-07, 09:07
Maybe if your so concerned about your kids health, you should walk home instead of polluting the air with diesel fumes from a taxi, and no, i am not a smoker, but someone who can see how bias this thread is.

oh god on the odd occasion when my shopping bags are to heavy i get a taxi, dont you dare bring my upbringing of my child into this!

angela5
05-Dec-07, 12:32
so i take it your a smoker, why dont people understand as a non smoker why i dont want to inhale any cigarette smoke at all, the stench of it sticks to your clothes, dont say it doesnt because it does, u cant go in anywhere now without having to go through a pile of smokers, there everywhere!

Non-smokers don't want to inhale smoke, i'm not arguing that.
When was the last time your clothes stunk of smoke, i hardly think walking past someone who is smoking is going to do that.
Where are you seeing these 'pile of smokers', i've never noticed a gathering of them:confused

ellie-lou
05-Dec-07, 12:33
smokers have rites in this world to you know.what next to complain about?i would rather see them smoking outside an entrance to a supermarket than inside.anyway its better than seeing someone who is overweight packing their face wie junk,seen that a few times while leaving supermarkets.

mccaugm
05-Dec-07, 15:01
smokers have rites in this world to you know.what next to complain about?i would rather see them smoking outside an entrance to a supermarket than inside.anyway its better than seeing someone who is overweight packing their face wie junk,seen that a few times while leaving supermarkets.

That is an odd comparison, as if someone chooses to overeat (or has a condition that makes them do it, e.g. Prader Willi) then so be it as it has no effect on me. However someone smoking pollutes my air and leaves me no option but to inhale it.

nikki
05-Dec-07, 17:37
What I am finding strange is, why is it only the people arguing against smokers that are seeing these crowds standing by the entranceways to shops, and mccaugm, I am assuming you mean Thurso college, and I go there too and have never seen a crowd of people at the door. there are sometimes one or two people standing at the end of the day waiting for taxi's, but they stand along from the door beside the canteen, never seen anybody at the main door.
and as for the smoking shed its usually always packed when i go out there.

Maybe paranoia about passive smoking has increased so much since the ban that people are actually starting to imagine crowds of smokers? because ive never seen these crowds, and neither have any of my friends, smokers and non-smokers alike.

Macwull
05-Dec-07, 21:03
Come on guys quit all this arguin! The post was started because of a minority that don't discard there fag ends in the bins provided. Everything on caithness.org gets blown out of proportion these days! Hardly a post can be started without arguing at the end of the day maybe it'd be best just to agree to disagree!! :)

mccaugm
06-Dec-07, 00:07
Come on guys quit all this arguin! The post was started because of a minority that don't discard there fag ends in the bins provided. Everything on caithness.org gets blown out of proportion these days! Hardly a post can be started without arguing at the end of the day maybe it'd be best just to agree to disagree!! :)

Well said...

wotchooterapolis
06-Dec-07, 18:39
Totally agree on this one. There is a lot of short memories in here. Folk have always stood outside shops having a smoke. Now that this nanny state we live in has got smokers banned from smoking inside puplic places their still not happy. Can't win.