PDA

View Full Version : Alex McLeish Resigns

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 16:52
Obviously he is off to an English Premiership job - all the best Alex.

Cattach
27-Nov-07, 17:18
Obviously he is off to an English Premiership job - all the best Alex.

Not surprised. I follow football, often with passion, but know that there is no honour or loyalty in the game. Managers, players, administrators and club chairmen all break contacts and show no moral responsibility so I guess Alex has just done what they all do. He will have been tapped, of course. Though Birmingham did not get pwermission to talk to him someone, as an intermediary, will have let it be known that they will ensure he does not lose out due to breaking his contract and resigning. As I say, no honour but lots of underhand business conducted.

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 17:22
Will be unveiled as Birmingham manager tomorrow at 10.30 am

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 17:25
That's two managers in a row walked out on them, and you wont find the media calling them traitors. A teenage boy picks another country over Scotland who had shown no great desire for him up until that point and yet he gets criticism from every tom, dick and cowan or cosgrove. Kinda sums it up nicely for me - bye feck, bring on the next SFA wonder appointment.

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 17:31
Davies or Souness

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 17:32
Either would do.

cd1977
27-Nov-07, 17:36
Souness = failure.

Craig Levein for me.

Metalattakk
27-Nov-07, 17:36
Davies or Souness

Davies is too young and inexperienced, both as a manager and a footballer - can you imagine Barry Ferguson or Paul Hartley taking him seriously?

And Souness? Good lord, no. Universally disliked for either being rubbish, or overly confrontational.

Sad facts are there are no immediate worthwhile candidates.

buggyracer
27-Nov-07, 17:38
another "gothenbourg great" Willie Miller?

The Pepsi Challenge
I still think Davies is a stick-on.

Hibeechick
Souness = failure.

Craig Levein for me.

Harry Potter no thanks!! He'd undo everything thats been done in the last while. They'd be back to playing hoofball.

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 17:40
Gary McAllister 2/1
Billy Davies 3/1
Craig Levein 5/1
Gordon Strachan 6/1
Graeme Souness 8/1
Ally McCoist 8/1
Tommy Burns 12/1

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 17:41
Deary me, how fickle some are. Alex McLeish has served his country as player and manager – he decides he wants another challenge, probably the lure of the Premiership and a return to day to day management – why should he be criticized? Aiden McGeady on the other hand, chose to play for a foreign country, over the land of his birth – his choice, let him live with it. He certainly would not be getting a game for Scotland at the moment anyway.

Davies has excellent managerial experience, and would do a good job. He would have no problems form Ferguson, and Hartley.........well he is a bit player, who won't be involved much longer at International level.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 17:42
There is only one man for the job, I did a poll on another site with over 750 votes this man got 71% of the vote, and that man was......

GEORGE BURLEY

PS - Big Thanks to Big Eck, he did a sterling job and carried things forward nicely, not to worry about it, the SFA wil put someone in who can keep things rolling. I wouldn't complain at Davies getting it or Souness to be honest. Souness is not a failure in international football.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 17:43
Suprised not to see Roy Aitken, Joe Jordan on the betting list........also Alec Miller.

No immediate candidates? Aye right.............one thing that Scotland has is plenty of decent coaches and managers;)

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 17:45
Suprised not to see Roy Aitken, Joe Jordan on the betting list........also Alec Miller.

No immediate candidates? Aye right.............one thing that Scotland has is plenty of decent coaches and managers;)

Yeah but how many that are in decent manager/coaching jobs are willing to move for the pay that will be offered?

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 17:45
There is only one man for the job, I did a poll on another site with over 750 votes this man got 71% of the vote, and that man was......

GEORGE BURLEY

PS - Big Thanks to Big Eck, he did a sterling job and carried things forward nicely, not to worry about it, the SFA wil put someone in who can keep things rolling. I wouldn't complain at Davies getting it or Souness to be honest. Souness is not a failure in international football.

Maybe - but I dont think the popular vote will sway the SFA - it didn't when Walter Smith was appointed, the Tartan Army were screaming for wee Chesney to get the job.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 17:47
Deary me, how fickle some are. Alex McLeish has served his country as player and manager – he decides he wants another challenge, probably the lure of the Premiership and a return to day to day management – why should he be criticized? Aiden McGeady on the other hand, chose to play for a foreign country, over the land of his birth – his choice, let him live with it. He certainly would not be getting a game for Scotland at the moment anyway.

Davies has excellent managerial experience, and would do a good job. He would have no problems form Ferguson, and Hartley.........well he is a bit player, who won't be involved much longer at International level.

McLeish was responsible for the 'Worst Ever Rangers Team - Official', and who declared he wasn't interested in the Scotland job on leaving Rangers as his ambition was to manage in the EPL. 18 months later, and, after a host of EPL clubs failed to beat a path to his door, all of a sudden he's interested in the Scotland job. Now, after a mere 7 games and less than a year later, he's planning a lucrative departure. And this in the wake of seeing Scotland's howler of a World Cup draw.

McLeish is a chancer whose experience at Rangers suggests he's learned when to jump ship. He's on to payday either way, but if he does go, then so is anyone who punts a few bawbees on Birmingham to go down.

By the way, I wonder if any readers imagine that the media would be so understanding if the Scotland manager was someone else. Say, Tommy Burns, for example? I suspect the sentiments would be more of a 'Judas' nature. See Aiden McGeady - the best attacking player in Scotland right now - for details.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 17:47
Yeah but how many that are in decent manager/coaching jobs are willing to move for the pay that will be offered?

That is very true Hibeechick - which makes Davies a strong candidate. To be honest I think Moyes would be my first choice, but there is no way he is going to leave Everton.

Metalattakk
27-Nov-07, 17:48

None of them are Managers though, they are all assistant managers.

Aye, we've got plenty of quality managers, but as McLeish has just proven, the lure of the Premiership (even for only 6 months) is more important.

How many of those Scottish managers in the Premiership would chuck it all in to be Scotland Manager?

And of those, how many would be suitable for the position?

weestraw
27-Nov-07, 17:48
No major Scots. managers really available or interested. Possibly someone like Bobby Williamson?? Heres hoping for Craig Levein or Jimmy Calderwood?

foreveruntitled
27-Nov-07, 17:49
That's two managers in a row walked out on them, and you wont find the media calling them traitors. A teenage boy picks another country over Scotland who had shown no great desire for him up until that point and yet he gets criticism from every tom, dick and cowan or cosgrove. Kinda sums it up nicely for me - bye feck, bring on the next SFA wonder appointment.

Couldnt agree more.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 17:50
McLeish was responsible for the 'Worst Ever Rangers Team - Official', and who declared he wasn't interested in the Scotland job on leaving Rangers as his ambition was to manage in the EPL. 18 months later, and, after a host of EPL clubs failed to beat a path to his door, all of a sudden he's interested in the Scotland job. Now, after a mere 7 games and less than a year later, he's planning a lucrative departure. And this in the wake of seeing Scotland's howler of a World Cup draw.

McLeish is a chancer whose experience at Rangers suggests he's learned when to jump ship. He's on to payday either way, but if he does go, then so is anyone who punts a few bawbees on Birmingham to go down.

By the way, I wonder if any readers imagine that the media would be so understanding if the Scotland manager was someone else. Say, Tommy Burns, for example? I suspect the sentiments would be more of a 'Judas' nature. See Aiden McGeady - the best attacking player in Scotland right now - for details.

Big Eck deserves all the respect of the Scottish People. he gave the job everything he had and did it very well. he is using the current break to get things in order and at least he is making his decision now rather than later which gives the SFA plenty of planning time with no match ahead.

Hibeechick
That is very true Hibeechick - which makes Davies a strong candidate. To be honest I think Moyes would be my first choice, but there is no way he is going to leave Everton.

I agree, who wouldnt want Moyes? No chance though.

Please please please do not let Bloody have the position. That man is a disgrace when it comes to managing football teams one quote from him " If you want entertainment go to the cinema"

cd1977
"Harry Potter no thanks!! He'd undo everything thats been done in the last while. They'd be back to playing hoofball"

Easy to see from your username why you might think that. He is by far the most intelligent and tactically aware of the candidates.

Billy Davies is Craigie Broon mark two. No thanks!

If we appoint Roy Aitken we can forget it.

This needs to be thought through. The only other worthwhile name mentioned is Gary McAllister but I still have'nt forgiven him for Euro 96.

Metalattakk

Take the green-tinted specs off, Barry.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 17:51

Get a life Pepsi - please dont let your blind prejudice get in the way of talking mince either. Do you recall Helicopter Sunday?

Ask ROI fans what they think of Aiden McGeady;) He is also a wee rat who would rather play for a foreign nation than his own country - a fact he now regrets;) wonder if that is anything to do with the respective fortunes of Scotland and the ROI.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 17:52
No major Scots. managers really available or interested. Possibly someone like Bobby Williamson?? Heres hoping for Craig Levein or Jimmy Calderwood?

Billy Davies is a major Scottish manager, if its managerial credibility your looking for he has more than Big Eck before he took the job. Billy took Preston to championship play offs and then took Derby to the Premiership, he is now leaving Derby because he cannot take them further, thats not failure, its knowing when to move on. I put Billy on a par with Davie Moyes for sure.

PLEASE can we keep this discussion to the point of who should be next and not turn it into a slanging match so it gets locked, its simply childish, I like discussing the national team and would like to discuss it further?

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 17:54
"Harry Potter no thanks!! He'd undo everything thats been done in the last while. They'd be back to playing hoofball"

Easy to see from your username why you might think that. He is by far the most intelligent and tactically aware of the candidates.

Billy Davies is Craigie Broon mark two. No thanks!

If we appoint Roy Aitken we can forget it.

This needs to be thought through. The only other worthwhile name mentioned is Gary McAllister but I still have'nt forgiven him for Euro 96.

Nothing to do with what team I support. As a Scotland supporter I want whats best for the Scottish National side and in my opinion it isnt Levein.

foreveruntitled
27-Nov-07, 17:54

Fair enough he has served as a player and a manager but he is turning his back on his country at this exciting time to go to Birmingham city who will be fighting relegation. Fair enough if it was one of the bigger sides. Find it quite sad that Scotland cant seem to hold on to a decent manager for any length of time.

Mcgeady didnt chose, as he was never asked to play for Scotland until after he had represented Ireland. Not as if both asked at the same time. You think he wouldnt get a game for Scotland? Well, hes been Celtics, who are top of the league, best player in recent weeks. Hes certainly better than Lee McCulloch in my opinion anyway.

cd1977
27-Nov-07, 17:58
So Souness is best for the Scots team? Get real!

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 18:02
Big Eck deserves all the respect of the Scottish People. he gave the job everything he had and did it very well. he is using the current break to get things in order and at least he is making his decision now rather than later which gives the SFA plenty of planning time with no match ahead.

Eck, who scooped up more SFA money to fly to South Africa in the full knowledge(?) he wasn't going to be around to see-in the qualifiers? That's not very respectful, is it? He, like Walter, have used the Scotland job to get a job in Club management. I can remember when managing your country was an honour - these two have just made a mockery of that. Sorry, but...

Cattach
27-Nov-07, 18:02

Do not see why he desreves respect. He has done what may do but that does not make it right. He walked out on his contract for 30 pieces of silver and the rest! He got a job when I was unemployed and that's hhis repayment.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:03
Fair enough he has served as a player and a manager but he is turning his back on his country at this exciting time to go to Birmingham city who will be fighting relegation. Fair enough if it was one of the bigger sides. Find it quite sad that Scotland cant seem to hold on to a decent manager for any length of time.

Mcgeady didnt chose, as he was never asked to play for Scotland until after he had represented Ireland. Not as if both asked at the same time. You think he wouldnt get a game for Scotland? Well, hes been Celtics, who are top of the league, best player in recent weeks. Hes certainly better than Lee McCulloch in my opinion anyway.

Football is how McLeish makes his living, he will get paid significantly more at Birmingham, and be involved on a day to day basis - this is a professional decision.

On McGeady, again I say.....ask ROI fans what they think of him;)

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 18:05
Get a life Pepsi - please dont let your blind prejudice get in the way of talking mince either. Do you recall Helicopter Sunday?

Ask ROI fans what they think of Aiden McGeady;) He is also a wee rat who would rather play for a foreign nation than his own country - a fact he now regrets;) wonder if that is anything to do with the respective fortunes of Scotland and the ROI.

Ah, a direct, personal attack: the last (or is it first?) roll of a Rangers fans' dice.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:05
Eck, who scooped up more SFA money to fly to South Africa in the full knowledge(?) he wasn't going to be around to see-in the qualifiers? That's not very respectful, is it? He, like Walter, have used the Scotland job to get a job in Club management. I can remember when managing your country was an honour - these two have just made a mockery of that. Sorry, but...

Tell me when it was an honour then Pepsi?

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:07
Ah, a direct, personal attack: the last (or is it first?) roll of a Rangers fans' dice.

It had to be a personal attack because it was such a subjective post. Nothing of structure to comment upon I'm afraid.

weestraw
27-Nov-07, 18:08
Billy Davies is a major Scottish manager, if its managerial credibility your looking for he has more than Big Eck before he took the job. Billy took Preston to championship play offs and then took Derby to the Premiership, he is now leaving Derby because he cannot take them further, thats not failure, its knowing when to move on. I put Billy on a par with Davie Moyes for sure.

PLEASE can we keep this discussion to the point of who should be next and not turn it into a slanging match so it gets locked, its simply childish, I like discussing the national team and would like to discuss it further?
Yes he did well at Derby but he has not achieved anything at top level. Only one win in the EPL . Yes he has got potential to be a good manager and maybe the Scotland job can be a next step.
Outside of Davies possibly Gary Macallistar he is the bookies favourite just now?

Rheghead
27-Nov-07, 18:13
Is Alex Mcleish moving to the English premiership for a challenge, money or more prestige? I would have thought managing a national side should have brought more of all those, in much abundance?:confused Very sad indeed.

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 18:13
Ask any Scotland manager before Smith took on the job, scotsboy. Anyway, isn't it interesting the relatively easy ride McLeish (and Smith before him) get from the media for walking out on the national team job to further their own interests? Noticed that from your geographic location, scots'? McLeish has been prevaricating since the Italy game and pointedly refused to deny he'd be off at the first opportunity and various pundits have been making sympathetic noises about his age and 'wanting to be involved in day to day club management'. Conveniently overlooking (like Smith before him) that no decent club would look at him beyond the length of a decent-sized bargepoll prior to his stewardship of Scotland.

I'm proud of being Scottish, and I do feel he owes Scotland at least one full campaign, if nothing else to prove whether his suddenly much-vaunted managerial prowess is actually what is claimed or whether he came in on a run of good results and kept the momentum going (albeit overseeing one stunning result in Paris).

Furthermore, scotsboy, there was a cracking piece in either the Times or the Guardian (I forget which) about Don Revie; it basically made the point that Revie, rightly or wrongly, was castigated as a national villain for daring to turn his back on the national team to chase the dollar in the Middle East.

He was effectively ostracised from ever returning to club football in England and the FA did their best to erase his tenure from history, to the point that his (relatively young) death, whatever your opinion on his style of football with Leeds and England, passed unmarked. No minutes silence, no black armbands, no tributes.

The English reaction to Revie's behaviour was deplorable but it throws up quite a contrast to the hearty slap on the back and 'awrabest Eck, enjoy Brum' response that the Scottish media have thrown up to a man who has, effectively turned his back on his country.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:14
Oh like Jock Stein who had the job in 1965........then went to Keltic.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 18:16
Yes he did well at Derby but he has not achieved anything at top level. Only one win in the EPL . Yes he has got potential to be a good manager and maybe the Scotland job can be a next step.
Outside of Davies possibly Gary Macallistar he is the bookies favourite just now?

I am not too sure what Gary has done to deserve the job to be honest, thought he was gone from the map?? Wasn't he at Coventry for a short spell and left and has done nothing since about 2003, what a disaster of an appointment that would be?

Billy's problem at Derby is you can only go so far with one team and no money. Burley I think is the best and most successful behind Alex ferguson in the last decade or so, what he did with Ipswich on a low budget was incredible. he is having a bit of an up and down season with Southampton so far but they are not too far away off the leaders, i think it may be a time where he could be poached. To be honest if the SFA do not consider Burley they are Muggs, I rank Burley up there with the Ferguson, O'Neill, Curbishley, Strachan level, he is a very strong manager with great man management skills, he knows how to get the best out of each players charachter and skills.

weestraw
27-Nov-07, 18:17
Is Alex Mcleish moving to the English premiership for a challenge, money or more prestige? I would have thought managing a national side should have brought more of all those, in much abundance?:confused Very sad indeed.
Wll there is a challenge of day to day survival in one of the toughest leagues. As opposed to only having 10 important matches over 2 years. The money in the EPL will roughly quadruple his wage at Scotland. Prestige well thats the where Scotland would be ahead but again if he is successful at avoiding the drop at Birmingham then it will be a stepping stone to more prestigous clubs.

Rocco
27-Nov-07, 18:21
Why is it that some Old Firm fans cant even enter a thread about the Scottish National side without it descending into childish bickering?:roll:

weestraw
27-Nov-07, 18:24
I am not too sure what Gary has done to deserve the job to be honest, thought he was gone from the map?? Wasn't he at Coventry for a short spell and left and has done nothing since about 2003, what a disaster of an appointment that would be?

Billy's problem at Derby is you can only go so far with one team and no money. Burley I think is the best and most successful behind Alex ferguson in the last decade or so, what he did with Ipswich on a low budget was incredible. he is having a bit of an up and down season with Southampton so far but they are not too far away off the leaders, i think it may be a time where he could be poached. To be honest if the SFA do not consider Burley they are Muggs, I rank Burley up there with the Ferguson, O'Neill, Curbishley, Strachan level, he is a very strong manager with great man management skills, he knows how to get the best out of each players charachter and skills.
Totally support Burley as the best man for the job. Dont know where Gary stuck his heid in from but hes getting touted on the radio. George Burley though would be the best man.

An interesting battle next year though between Villa and Birmingham, O'Neill vs. McCleish

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 18:24
Why is it that some Old Firm fans cant even enter a thread about the Scottish National side without it descending into childish bickering?:roll:

Agreed, and I am an Old Firm fan, and it bothers the keck out of me :mad:

foreveruntitled
27-Nov-07, 18:26
Oh like Jock Stein who had the job in 1965........then went to Keltic.

A side that would go on to win the European cup, hardly Birmingham though I suppose.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 18:27
Totally support Burley as the best man for the job. Dont know where Gary stuck his heid in from but hes getting touted on the radio. George Burley though would be the best man.

An interesting battle next year though between Villa and Birmingham, O'Neill vs. McCleish

There is no tellin what Burley might have achieved at Hearts had he not run into that situation with the new owners, I think he woudl have ran the Old Firm very close for a championship. A nasty hiccup in his career but he is still going strong.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:27
Lets not sit on the fence Rocco - calla spade a spade and identify the Old Firms fans as those who follow Keltic "fans". Rather than appreciate the great strides forward the Scotland National Team has taken under WALTER SMITH and ALEX McLEISH after the last honourable man to hold the position (according to the Pepsi Challenge) left, they choose to castigate the very men who infleunced the impovement - go figure.

percy toboggan
27-Nov-07, 18:28
He will not last two years at Birmingham. A club which merely makes up the numbers in the Premier League.

The man has revealed himself as shallow, and lacking in resolve to see a job through properly. Patriot my bottom.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:31
A side that would go on to win the European cup, hardly Birmingham though I suppose.

Is the principle different then? It should be pointed out (but of course I'm sure you'll know the history) that at that time Keltic had not won anything for the previous 8 years.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 18:33
Lets not sit on the fence Rocco - calla spade a spade and identify the Old Firms fans as those who follow Keltic "fans". Rather than appreciate the great strides forward the Scotland National Team has taken under WALTER SMITH and ALEX McLEISH after the last honourable man to hold the position (according to the Pepsi Challenge) left, they choose to castigate the very men who infleunced the impovement - go figure.

What guff, I am a Celtic fan and I am proud of what Mcleish has done for Scotland, very proud and for what Walter did. people think they know everything about everyone. Stein was a part time manager of Scotland in 1965, he did the job at the same time as manageing Hibernian, he took the position until someone else could be found and had seven matches. he made the decision to move from Hibernian to Celtic to further his career, managing both Scotland and Celtic at the same time was not going to be an option. So why don't people get over it. Its little wonder a football thread never lasts on here when you see this kind of goldfish bowl mentality and mud slinging, childish :roll:

foreveruntitled
27-Nov-07, 18:35
Is the principle different then? It should be pointed out (but of course I'm sure you'll know the history) that at that time Keltic had not won anything for the previous 8 years.

Yeah I suppose your right, the team obviously had no potential.

'they choose to castigate the very men who infleunced the impovement - go figure.'

Fair enough, Walter made a remarkable improvement but When Eck took charge Scotland were top of the group. They finished third. Thats not improvement. True it would have been an amazing success if he guided them to the Euros but he he didn't improve Scotland.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:38

'they choose to castigate the very men who infleunced the impovement - go figure.'

Fair enough, Walter made a remarkable improvement but When Eck took charge Scotland were top of the group. They finished third. Thats not improvement. True it would have been an amazing success if he guided them to the Euros but he he didn't improve Scotland.

Oh, okay then Scotland did not move up in the FIFA rankings during McLeish's tenure.........what you are actually saying that McLeish was a failure as Scotland manager........Keltic fans....they are not normal people.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:41
What guff, I am a Celtic fan and I am proud of what Mcleish has done for Scotland, very proud and for what Walter did. people think they know everything about everyone. Stein was a part time manager of Scotland in 1965, he did the job at the same time as manageing Hibernian, he took the position until someone else could be found and had seven matches. he made the decision to move from Hibernian to Celtic to further his career, managing both Scotland and Celtic at the same time was not going to be an option. So why don't people get over it. Its little wonder a football thread never lasts on here when you see this kind of goldfish bowl mentality and mud slinging, childish :roll:

So he chose Keltic over Scotland.

Jeemag, I admit to generalizing and not all Keltic fans are so negative - but I really cannot accept the criticism of Smith and McLeish by others.

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 18:41

I disagree, it was only a short time ago we were not top of the group. Eck can't take the blame for Georgia, even the lads themselves admitted they didn't show up and played without heart. Eck was in charge when they won in France, we tore apart Ukraine who are a handy side. Everyone knew and said the group would be hard from the start, it could come apart at any time, so we lost to Georgia and had a bad game against italy, doesn't mean there was no improvement, I think Eck has made a good team and used his squad wisely, he has improved the morale and the closeness of the players as friends. I think its a shame to say there is no improvement. Nobody gave us a chance at the start, we got better and better and now Eck takes the blame. maybe we shoudl start castigating our managers in the press and on TV like some other countries do? Eck was also the manager when we hit the heady heights of being ranked 11th, both Eck and Walter can be thanked for improving the team from 66th to 11th in the FIFA rankings, and before anyone says it these rankings mean nothing, rubbish, they do mean something if we are sitting in pot 2 of the world cup draw instead of pot 4 in the EURO draw tha put us in a group with Italy, France and Ukraine?? Improvements all round all the time with both managers!

Rocco
27-Nov-07, 18:43
This is by no means a disaster for Scotland. Smith and McLeish did their bit for Scotland but the ones who truly turned our fortunes around were the players. As long as we can keep the same group of players happy together and the next manager who comes in doesn' t try to drastically change things I think we have a great chance of qaulifying for the World Cup.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:43
I disagree, it was only a short time ago we were not top of the group. Eck can't take the blame for Georgia, even the lads themselves admitted they didn't show up and played without heart. Eck was in charge when they won in France, we tore apart Ukraine who are a handy side. Everyone knew and said the group would be hard from the start, it could come apart at any time, so we lost to Georgia and had a bad game against italy, doesn't mean there was no improvement, I think Eck has made a good team and used his squad wisely, he has improved the morale and the closeness of the players as friends. I think its a shame to say there is no improvement. Nobody gave us a chance at the start, we got better and better and now Eck takes the blame. maybe we shoudl start castigating our managers in the press and on TV like some other countries do?

And whoevcer takes over will benefit from the good work that has been done by Smith and McLeish.

foreveruntitled
27-Nov-07, 18:45
Oh, okay then Scotland did not move up in the FIFA rankings during McLeish's tenure.........what you are actually saying that McLeish was a failure as Scotland manager........Keltic fans....they are not normal people.

I thought this was about Mcleish, your trying to drag in your dislike for Celtic fans at every opportunity then slag us off.

McLeish had, after this campaign a team with great potential he could've led to a major competition but hes left to go to Birmingham city. Im not saying he was a complete failure, but look at us when he took over and look at us now. Managerless again and not qualifying again.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:45
This is by no means a disaster for Scotland. Smith and McLeish did their bit for Scotland but the ones who truly turned our fortunes around were the players. As long as we can keep the same group of players happy together and the next manager who comes in doesn' t try to drastically change things I think we have a great chance of qaulifying for the World Cup.

I think some of those players will certainly be gone by the next campaign Rocco - Weir, Hartley for starters.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:47
I thought this was about Mcleish, your trying to drag in your dislike for Celtic fans at every opportunity then slag us off.

McLeish had, after this campaign a team with great potential he could've led to a major competition but hes left to go to Birmingham city. Im not saying he was a complete failure, but look at us when he took over and look at us now. Managerless again and not qualifying again.

I don't dislike Keltic fans - I have much stronger feelings for them;)

day old blues
27-Nov-07, 18:49
he done a very good job for scotland but i don't think that hes gone in the right direction going there ok if it was one of the bigger clubs or a club he love ( like walter and ally) but i dont think thats the right move for him because they may well be a championship club next year and i think hes better than that , my personal preferance would be david moyes he would be a good choice i think

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 18:54
I agree with you day old blues, it certainly is disappointing to see him leave for Birmingham, as IMHO I would have thought the chance of taking Scotland to the WC finals would have a greater prestige.

Rocco
27-Nov-07, 18:55
There are a few that will move on but there are a few to come through aswell. John Kennedy at the back has done extremely well to come back from his injury and would do a job and there are a fair few other youngsters who are promising good things too!

day old blues
27-Nov-07, 19:02
yeh he could do a job in the future i think its a shame steven smith from rangers has been injured for so long he could have been an amazing player if he was still playing regular and could have gone in at left back because i think thats our were our weakest position is and he has a lot of potential if not for now, future, theres alot of promising players coming through in scotland just now and we need someone who knows when the time is right to bring them into the full squad kevin thomson and steven fletcher are another two who come to mind

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 19:14
I don't dislike Keltic fans - I have much stronger feelings for them;)

Here's a word: Permarage. Rangers fans and players are quite known to it.

Metalattakk
27-Nov-07, 19:17
I'm suffering from permalaughing at all of you who are trying to score points off each other. Get a grip, dullards.

Geo
27-Nov-07, 19:20
I've never understood why managers and footballers are expected to stay in the same job. People outside sport don't have to worry about it. Why is football any different? Do people get so emotionally involved in the team they support that they they can't see that it is just a job? As passionate as we all get about whatever team we support when push comes to shove it is just a game and the people involved in it are just workers like any other.

Metalattakk
27-Nov-07, 19:26
Do people get so emotionally involved in the team they support that they they can't see that it is just a job?

Spot on. People 'love' their clubs so, so much that they cannot understand that the Russian winger that they signed doesn't feel exactly the same way, or that the Brazilian striker hasn't been a diehard fan since childhood.

Strangely, the most popular of these players are the ones who openly display some dislike or intolerance of the 'other' side. It makes them almost one of the fans.

It's madness.

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 19:40
Here's a word: Permarage. Rangers fans and players are quite known to it.

Here is an acronym: MOPE

peter macdonald
27-Nov-07, 19:46
From BBC site http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7115501.stm

No comment other than to say I totally agree with Rheggers
PM

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 19:50
Told you Davies was a stick-on. And as for scotsboy, how can you mope when you've got this bunch singing for you. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8rLMrEqzdwI&feature=related

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 20:38
43 votes in on my Tartan Army poll so far, shoudl get a few hundred by tomorrow, of the five names I put up (could only have five) Davies is second bottom, Levein and Burley tied on 25% of the vote.

Who should be the new Scotland manager http://s.bebo.com/img/vid.gif

a) Billy Davies 18%
b) Greame Souness 20%
c) Craig Levein 25%
d) Gary McAllister 9%
e) George Burley 25%

43 Votes

Rheghead
27-Nov-07, 20:54
Would the SFA consider a foreign manager?:confused An Ingerlander, perhaps?:evil

golach
27-Nov-07, 21:03
Would the SFA consider a foreign manager? An Ingerlander, perhaps?:evil
We had Bertie Vogts, a German, Rheg, I think he was foreign [lol]

Rheghead
27-Nov-07, 21:09
We had Bertie Vogts, a German, Rheg, I think he was foreign [lol]

Ah yes, silly me, his positive influence on the national team caused me to forget him, do you think he is the last foreigner?:confused

Jeemag_USA
27-Nov-07, 23:25
a) Billy Davies 19%
b) Greame Souness 21%
c) Craig Levein 21%
d) Gary McAllister 12%
e) George Burley 26%

57 votes now and Burley is starting to carve a lead :Razz

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 00:13
Would the SFA consider a foreign manager?:confused An Ingerlander, perhaps?

Hell, if England can't find an English manager good enough, why on earth would we start looking for one? [lol]

Moi x
28-Nov-07, 01:31
I can think of foreign manager who is not only available but who also has experience of managing his own national side. He even has a Scottish surname. :eek:

Moi x

Anne x
28-Nov-07, 01:41
Why Not ex Chelsea Manager Moriniou (or whatever his name is ) and before I get slagged off for spelling or grammar probably we cannot afford him
and I think Alec Mcleish did great job if his new job pays 5 times the salary why not he is a young man with a young family

Rheghead
28-Nov-07, 06:38
Hell, if England can't find an English manager good enough, why on earth would we start looking for one? [lol]

Err because of proven English success on the field?:confused Getting knocked out on penalties in a quarter final may not be good enough for England, but I could see Scotland would find that experience most rewarding.

zappster
28-Nov-07, 07:29
Kenny Dalgish anyone?

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 11:37
Err because of proven English success on the field?:confused Getting knocked out on penalties in a quarter final may not be good enough for England, but I could see Scotland would find that experience most rewarding.

Proven success on the whit, now? Eh?

Sven Goran Ericsson was your manager when you last got knocked out on pens in the q/fs. Are you saying we should go for a Swedish manager, or what?

Jeemag_USA
28-Nov-07, 13:17
Wel here is a nice tale for the old firm fans among us, Alex McLeish on departing the job recommended that Mark McGhee be installed as manager. Wouldn't be a bad appointment and it shows that within the game there is not the same ill feeling as there is outside it :D

Not a lot of stories on the go this morning about Billy Davies, so maybe the SFA have got someone else in mind, Billy Davies is a good candidate but not really a stick on as the story about him being interested came out at the same time as the announcement of Alec leaving, just so happened Billy departed derby at the same time. meantime in my poll after 70 votes Levein and Burley are neck and neck. I think levein will not accept the job considering how well Dundee United are doing this season. mark McGhee, Davies or burley are more likely. I wish they would stop talking about mcAllister, he doesn't have enough managerial experience, to come out of the wilderness to a job like this is silly. And Kenny Dalglish, think its too late for him now, would rather avoid that.

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 13:55
The problem with McGhee is that he, like Collins and Levein, is just getting to grips with his club team. It would take a great leap of faith for him to ditch that for the national job. He's also quite young, so has plenty of time for that in the future.

Dalglish wouldn't risk tarnishing his rapport with the Tartan Army, I think. Fair dues to him though.

Burley - Now don't take this the wrong way, but...is the 'Stevie Paterson' spectre still lingering about? There were strong rumours going about when he originally left Hearts, were there not?

Not many people mentioning Tommy Burns so far. Would he accept an approach after not being asked to take over when Smith quit, though?

Oh, hang on a bit - I reckon I know why McLeish recommended McGhee - it's the 'Gothenburg' link! What's the bets on Rougvie as boss with John McMaster as no. 2? :lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 13:59
Not a snowball's chance in Hell Tommy Burns will be offered the manager's job. A bit like a black man being offered the Presidency of the United States: it's not going to happen.

Jeemag - you should know better than to use the 'Old Firm' tag. Celtic don't wish to be lumped in with Rangers, I thought you'd know that.

Hibeechick
28-Nov-07, 14:20
Skysports reporting that Davies is number one target.

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 14:33
Jeemag - you should know better than to use the 'Old Firm' tag. Celtic don't wish to be lumped in with Rangers, I thought you'd know that.

It's impossible to separate the two - they are two cheeks of the same backside.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 15:21
Nope; pretty far from it.

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:22
Not a snowball's chance in Hell Tommy Burns will be offered the manager's job. A bit like a black man being offered the Presidency of the United States: it's not going to happen.

What makes you say that Pepsi? I don't think Burns is up to the job personally, but you seem to imply that there is something other than his ability that would prevent his appointment.

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:24
It's impossible to separate the two - they are two cheeks of the same backside.

Back crack (Pun intended) to use a quote andnot name the source - stand up and take a bow George Galloway........he was of course talking about Blair and Brown at the time.

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:27
Nope; pretty far from it.

I agree with Pepsi on this one. I actually find backsides (female ones) pretty attractive - I consider Keltic to be more like the effleunt from a backside.

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 15:31
Cross your arms and 'harrumph' indignantly all you want Pepsi, but it's true.

For every knuckle-dragging, flute-playing Orange Order-supporting Rangers fan, there will be an IRA-chanting, 'hun'-hating Celtic fan in comparison.

For every sensible, non-bigoted, intelligent and tolerant Celtic fan (see JeemagUSA for tips) there will be one on the other side exactly the same.

Add that to the fact that without either team, the other would cease to hold any great sway in Scotland at all. Without the other side to compete against, and for the idiots to unreservedly hate, there would be no point at all.

The two clubs are conjoined, and could not exist as they do without the other. I'm sorry you can't see that, Pepsi, but it doesn't mean it's not true.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 15:31
I agree with Pepsi on this one. I actually find backsides (female ones) pretty attractive - I consider Keltic to be more like the effleunt from a backside.

You say the sweetest things.

:)

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:40
Why thank you, you are welcome:)

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 15:45
Back crack (Pun intended) to use a quote andnot name the source - stand up and take a bow George Galloway........he was of course talking about Blair and Brown at the time.

Nope, it wasn't Galloway who said it first - I heard it a long time ago and the quote included a non-.org-tolerated word instead of 'backside', so obviously I had to substitute it. :D

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:46

For every knuckle-dragging, flute-playing Orange Order-supporting Rangers fan, there will be an IRA-chanting, 'hun'-hating Celtic fan in comparison.

For every sensible, non-bigoted, intelligent and tolerant Celtic fan (see JeemagUSA for tips) there will be one on the other side exactly the same.

Add that to the fact that without either team, the other would cease to hold any great sway in Scotland at all. Without the other side to compete against, and for the idiots to unreservedly hate, there would be no point at all.

The two clubs are conjoined, and could not exist as they do without the other. I'm sorry you can't see that, Pepsi, but it doesn't mean it's not true.

When talking about the rivalry then to a degree you are correct. Rangers of course did exist for 15 years prior to the formation of Keltic. I think both clubs would survive now, if one or the other were to disappear - however what probably would not have occurred is that the clubs would not have developed such large supports if the the other had not existed. The fact that Rangers became the focus of a large Protestant support is solely due to the fact that Keltic were formed as a Catholic club - why Rangers? Well that was just chance, it could as easily have been any of the other Glasgow clubs at the time.

Boozeburglar
28-Nov-07, 15:47
There are dozens of football forums dedicated to the Old Firm. Why don't you pay heed to the originator's request to keep the focus of this thread the national team?

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:48
Nope, it wasn't Galloway who said it first - I heard it a long time ago and the quote included a non-.org-tolerated word instead of 'backside', so obviously I had to substitute it. :D

Apologies then Metalattakk - you still haven't given us the source;)

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 15:51

Are you an Aberdeen fan, Metalcrakk?

scotsboy
28-Nov-07, 15:53

Must be a St Pauli fan - I've been to see them play and they are all hairy heavy metal fans;)..........although I fear his politics could be a tad too right wing for them.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 15:56
That's twice you've made me laugh in a day, scotsboy. Settle.

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 16:01

You should be able to remember, Barry. Although I take it as a compliment that you can't tell directly from my posts.

Oh, and Boozeburglar is totally correct. Back on topic lads.

Latest 'suggestion' I have heard is Colin Hendry. [lol]

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 16:04
Must be a St Pauli fan - I've been to see them play and they are all hairy heavy metal fans;)

Nah, that's just Germans in general - they're all like that!

..........although I fear his politics could be a tad too right wing for them.

Quite how you can judge my politics from a football discussion, I have no idea.

Right, that's the last of the off-topic-ness from me.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 16:06
Sorry, man, I don't remember much about Thurso after being old enough to afford a bus ticket out. So, shall we continue... Do you think Aberdeen fans singing about the Ibrox disaster is worse than singing a few rebel songs? Or glorifying Neale Simpson's tackle on Durrant? However, Rangers do have the edge on Celtic in terms of police raids. 1-0 I think is the score.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 16:08
Metalsmakk is right - time to get back on-topic. So, McLeish, eh? When's he giving a press conference to say he's off?

golach
28-Nov-07, 16:11
Sorry, man, I don't remember much about Thurso after being old enough to afford a bus ticket out. So, shall we continue... Do you think Aberdeen fans singing about the Ibrox disaster is worse than singing a few rebel songs? Or glorifying Neale Simpson's tackle on Durrant? However, Rangers do have the edge on Celtic in terms of police raids. 1-0 I think is the score.
With respect Pepsi, what has this post got to do with the theme of this thread i.e Alex Mcleish's resignation?
This post is an example of why footbal at team level was banned from discussion on the Org, in the first place and I can see it happening once more.

Metalattakk
28-Nov-07, 16:14
Do you think Aberdeen fans singing about the Ibrox disaster is worse than singing a few rebel songs? Or glorifying Neale Simpson's tackle on Durrant?

I have no idea. Is either of them any worse than PSV and Feyenoord fans who hiss at the perceived Jewish Ajax fans, imitating the noise in the gas chambers? I dunno, it all seems somewhat distasteful to me.

However, Rangers do have the edge on Celtic in terms of police raids. 1-0 I think is the score.

Nice to see you keeping score, Pepsi. Where would the world be without you?

Hmmm, back on topic again - McLeish made his press conference this morning.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Nov-07, 16:18
Gary McAllister for me.Disnae matter who the manager is.Once a team get a bond amongst themselves thats where greatness lies.This team just now for Scotland is the best team ever.No prima donnas or one man wonders a whole team playing for their country.Watch out for the away tie at Norway for the World Cup.This is the one that will be Scotlands blessing or curse.

peter macdonald
28-Nov-07, 16:39
I would doubt Gary MacAllister would want the job after not too long ago becoming a widower with young kids Maybe ?? The plain truth in this is that you only get what you pay for and the SFA are not rich enough to get a top of the pile guy ..so unless you find another Walter Smith ie an elder statesman type then the next appointment will be a gamble ...I would like to see Gary MacAllister in there though ..The only other older guy about is Davie Hay but I fear he has been out of the top line jobs for too long
Time will tell
PM
Scotsboy what on earth were you doing at the Millentor ?? And I hope it was only football that put you into that neighbourhood :-))))
Hope all is well with you in the sand dunes Keep well my friend
PM

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 16:43

Don't you know your history, Metalattakk? Rangers were just another Scottish football club until the early 1890's, more successful than most, but nothing other than a football club. Celtic's burgeoning support and the decision by the hitherto establishment club of Queens Park to refuse to turn professional paved the way for the upstart Irish from the East End to dominate Scottish football, something the narrow minded bigots among the ill-educated Scots' working class found hard to take. With Queen's Park nullified as a footballing force, those ignorant masses - and I use 'ignorant' in the true sense of the word, not as an insult - demanded a champion to keep the Irish in their place. Rangers came to fill that role, not by accident but by design.

The men at the top in Rangers - industrialists, landlords: establishment men - they saw the opportunity to exploit the ignorance of the barely educated slum fodder. Under Struth, they secured this by weaving themselves inexorably with the unhinged and the demented who form the Orange Order, and a dynasty was spat out into the world, built on hate and ignorance, and which demanded the perpetuation of hate and ignorance for survival.

That's why Rangers need Celtic, otherwise, you're just Partick Thistle, just Clyde - decent, honourable if not terribly successful football clubs, but ones which can hold their heads up high in sport and wider society. As for Celtic, we just wanted to play football and offer some hope to our people, and to show those of our neighbours who were hostile to us that they had nothing to fear.