PDA

View Full Version : Scam!!! Dont Buy A Wii From This Ebayer

octane
26-Nov-07, 21:46
SCAM ALERT

Check the bottom of his listing, your bidding on a picture of a wii, buyers have already used buy it now without noticing small print.

Lucky someone spotted it so we all putting sky high bids and he has been reported

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180184512345&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle% 3D180184512345%26fvi%3D1 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180184512345&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle% 3D180184512345%26fvi%3D1)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-IN-STOCK_W0QQitemZ180184964803QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1455 20QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-IN-STOCK_W0QQitemZ180184964803QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1455 20QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180184968254 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180184968254)

So remember, whatever you buy from ebay READ THE SMALL PRINT

gem1982
26-Nov-07, 21:50
OMG some people have some cheek really! You could have a hard up parent rushing on trying to buy that just to make their kid happy on christmas morning and being left with no money for anything all for a con!!!

starry
26-Nov-07, 21:51
If you check his/her feedback a couple of folk have already been done.

octane
26-Nov-07, 21:56
This happened last year, people were buying xbox 360's from ebay for well over £300 and all they got was a picture because they never noticed the small print. It was in the national newspapers because of it!!

This isnt the only seller doing this so just be on your guard

starry
26-Nov-07, 21:58
Will they get their money back ?

octane
26-Nov-07, 22:01
not sure as the ad states its for a picture, but due to the sneaky context of the ad and the time of year plus with the national shortage then im sure the police, paypal and ebay can do something about it.

sam
26-Nov-07, 22:03
As the saying goes " if it sounds to good to be true, its because it probably is".

starry
26-Nov-07, 22:03
I hope so.

starry
26-Nov-07, 22:37
The other Wii's they had for sale have no been withdrawn.

lazytown
26-Nov-07, 22:42
Although what these people are doing is low down dirty sneaky, they have done nothing wrong, as long as they email the buyers a picture of a Wii then they have not broken any rules and I cannot see how ebay/paypal or anyone else can act upon it, the buyers were told what they were buying and the writing is not any smaller than the rest of the text on the auction.

If someone chooses not to read all the text of what they are bidding/buying then on their own wallets be it.

BUYER BEWARE.....

sam
26-Nov-07, 22:54
This is the first part of paypals buyer complaints policy,

General. PayPal’s Buyer Complaint Policy covers goods that are purchased and not delivered, and goods purchased on eBay and paid by using PayPal that are “significantly not as described”. For payments relating to eBay transactions, this Policy may apply if the buyer complaint is ineligible for coverage under PayPal Buyer Protection. Buyer disputes must be filed within 45 days of the payment and, even if the buyer’s claim is justified, the buyer will receive a recovery only if there are funds in the seller’s account. RECOVERY OF YOUR CLAIM IS NOT GUARANTEED.

Note: Obtaining a remedy under the terms of this policy is only available to registered PayPal users.

As it says goods that are " significantly not as described", but he did describe his even if it was in small print, so i imagine it could be a lengthy process to even find out if you will get your money back, then again what if someone has pain by cheque? guess they would of lost the lot.

alanatkie
26-Nov-07, 23:04
Well from the item description that i have read of his listing it did state at the bottom of description:
THIS AUCTION IS FOR A PICTURE OF THE NINTENDO WII ONLY!
THIS ITEM WILL BE SENT E-MAIL

So it really is buyer beware - they will be extremely lucky if they get their moey back as he is selling what he has listed - it is just a very sneek way of going about it by giving full description of a Wii first.

Buttercup
26-Nov-07, 23:32
Anyone spending that amount of money on eBay should be reading ALL the auction details BEFORE contemplating buying. Sorry, but I've no sympathy for them. The seller hasn't broken any eBay or Paypal rules as far as I can see so it's doubtful if they'll help a disgruntled buyer. With all the warnings there's been about eBay people should've learnt to be more careful. I don't condone what the seller did and it's a daring way to make money but he has done it quite openly and has to be admired for his cheek.

scorrie
26-Nov-07, 23:52
Anyone spending that amount of money on eBay should be reading ALL the auction details BEFORE contemplating buying. Sorry, but I've no sympathy for them. The seller hasn't broken any eBay or Paypal rules as far as I can see so it's doubtful if they'll help a disgruntled buyer. With all the warnings there's been about eBay people should've learnt to be more careful. I don't condone what the seller did and it's a daring way to make money but he has done it quite openly and has to be admired for his cheek.

I would hardly describe a full page spiel followed by a tiny disclaimer as being "open"

If you were to go into a local store, purchase a 40" LCD telly and then receive just an empty box, I am sure you would be less than impressed by being told that there was a tiny sign in the window of the shop which stated "All purchases made today are for item packaging only"

This guy is a piece of excrement who tarnishes the reputation of a site where most people are honest.

lazytown
27-Nov-07, 00:05
I would hardly describe a full page spiel followed by a tiny disclaimer as being "open"

If you were to go into a local store, purchase a 40" LCD telly and then receive just an empty box, I am sure you would be less than impressed by being told that there was a tiny sign in the window of the shop which stated "All purchases made today are for item packaging only"

This guy is a piece of excrement who tarnishes the reputation of a site where most people are honest.

I am sure you wouldn't be impressed but they store did inform you of this...

Go into argos and see how big the posters are for the items being recalled because they maybe hazerdous to health, and what about those people that dont go into the shop that often.

The fact still remains that you were informed about what you were buying...it all comes back to:
BUYER BEWARE

Buttercup
27-Nov-07, 00:21

No matter how much speil there is it still states that the auction is for a picture. And it wasn't even on the "shop window" it was in the aution details! If you went into a shop and saw that in the discription of the item you wouldn't buy it either, would you? So why make a fuss when it's on eBay? He may be (quote) "a piece of excrement who tarnishes the reputation of a site where most people are honest." but he didn't force anyone to buy and he still told them exactly what he was selling! It's the idiots that buy/bid on these items and then complain about it that is ruining eBay. If nobody bought/bid on that kind of auction they just wouldn't exist.

Moi x
27-Nov-07, 01:33

This guy is a piece of excrement who tarnishes the reputation of a site where most people are honest.I agree. There is clear intention to deceive here. The law is surely sufficiently sophisticated to go beyond a simple literal interpretation of the advertisement. After all, we now lock up people for promoting terrorism.

Moi x

Highland Laddie
27-Nov-07, 02:12
surely they have some comeback for false advertising.
he was selling a picture, fair enough, he stated that.
but it was for sale under Video Games > Consoles & Systems > Nintendo Wii
not pictures !!!!!

_Ju_
27-Nov-07, 08:21
As the saying goes " if it sounds to good to be true, its because it probably is".

It doesn't sound too good to be true when the auction is hitting around 200 pounds. It sounds like the going price.

octane
27-Nov-07, 10:21
Well the auctions have been stopped and he has been kicked off ebay, he is no longer a registered user so at least thats one nugget off the site.......but another will come along to fill his shoes so to speak!!!!!

The Angel Of Death
27-Nov-07, 10:22
It doesn't sound too good to be true when the auction is hitting around 200 pounds. It sounds like the going price.

Put another £100 on it and you eill be closer to the must have price at the moment these things are rarer than rocking horse "droppings"

But again as said previously what he might be doing is immoral but he hasnt done anything wrong i see these auctions all the time for a xbox box or a mobile phone box again buyers beware and like signing an agreement with anyone CHECK THE SMALL PRINT if its too good to be true then it normally is !!!

unicorn
27-Nov-07, 10:28
It really is sad that people do these kind of things, obviously with no conscience. I couldn't live with the thought that I had ruined a families christmas with my greed.

Ash
27-Nov-07, 10:44
its awful people being scammed like this

but whats the big deal about the wii its a stupid amount money for it!

unicorn
27-Nov-07, 10:49
Thankfully my child saved her money and bought her own when there was not a huge demand for them, but I will be totally honest and say whenever she has asked for something for christmas and it is her main present I would go through hell or high water to get it for her, as will most parents, we all know it is silly but we still do it.

unicorn
27-Nov-07, 10:53
That said I do prefer to think back to when she was 2 and all she wanted was a tellytubby :lol: All I could get was tinkywinky and she and she cried when I took it out the bag cos she wanted la la that felt awful as it was when they 1st came out and I was lucky to even get the one I had.

starry
27-Nov-07, 11:03
Oh Unicorn I know just what you mean, I remember searching the whole UK for a Furby.

It is much easier to buy once they are older but when they still believe you just want them to get what they have asked for. How else could you explain the big man in the red suit !

My daughter has asked my ex for a Wii, I have pointed him the direction of a few but he is too tight to pay even the shop prices not a hope in halifax he would pay over the odds on ebay.

I still hate that she won't get what she wants and even though it is nothing to do with me I want to go and get her one myself :confused

unicorn
27-Nov-07, 11:16
I really do feel for you starry, thats not fair as it is you that has to watch her face fall and explain that she really has been such a good girl. Send the x a few rotten fish for xmas [evil]

starry
27-Nov-07, 11:21
Oh she is old enough to know just what her dad is like but I suppose no matter what age you want to protect them eh !

But I may just send the ex old fish just for the fun of it :lol:

grandma
27-Nov-07, 11:31
My daughter has asked my ex for a Wii, I have pointed him the direction of a few but he is too tight to pay even the shop prices not a hope in halifax he would pay over the odds on ebay. :confused
Starry, any chance you can tell me where these shop bought Wii's are available as I've been searching with no joy. thanks

starry
27-Nov-07, 11:35
Have PMed you will a list of places I have seen them :)

scorrie
27-Nov-07, 13:02
Well the auctions have been stopped and he has been kicked off ebay, he is no longer a registered user so at least thats one nugget off the site.......but another will come along to fill his shoes so to speak!!!!!

So, if this poor guy is only selling what he has listed, surely he will sue eBay for kicking him off without due cause?

scorrie
27-Nov-07, 16:18
No matter how much speil there is it still states that the auction is for a picture. And it wasn't even on the "shop window" it was in the aution details! If you went into a shop and saw that in the discription of the item you wouldn't buy it either, would you? So why make a fuss when it's on eBay? He may be (quote) "a piece of excrement who tarnishes the reputation of a site where most people are honest." but he didn't force anyone to buy and he still told them exactly what he was selling! It's the idiots that buy/bid on these items and then complain about it that is ruining eBay. If nobody bought/bid on that kind of auction they just wouldn't exist.

I find it amusing how far some people will go to condone a con man. I note that you do not comment on whether a tiny disclaimer in a shop window would satisfy you that it was legal for the shop owner to sell you a box for a TV?

People cannot be expected to scan a shop in minute detail for every possible disclaimer and it is the same with auctions. The guy was breaching eBay rules. The fact that he was selling a picture should have been in the auction title. You can read that for yourself here:-

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/misleading-titles.html

Thank goodness for common sense to prevent all sorts of scum from hiding behind that old Caveat Emptor horse-plop.

Buttercup
27-Nov-07, 19:18
I don't condone what the seller did

I find it amusing how far some people will go to condone a con man. I note that you do not comment on whether a tiny disclaimer in a shop window would satisfy you that it was legal for the shop owner to sell you a box for a TV?

OK scorrie, I stand corrected re eBay rule. But, please note that I pointed out that I did not condone what he did. To me, the auctions are similar to reading the discriptions that you see above TVs, washing machines etc in shops and if that discription told me that I was only buying the box - I can't complain about only getting a box. As for your statement about a shop window that is your scenario I was only giving my opinion of the o.p.

Moi x
28-Nov-07, 01:04
OK scorrie, I stand corrected re eBay rule. But, please note that I pointed out that I did not condone what he did. To me, the auctions are similar to reading the discriptions that you see above TVs, washing machines etc in shops and if that discription told me that I was only buying the box - I can't complain about only getting a box. As for your statement about a shop window that is your scenario I was only giving my opinion of the o.p.I think you would complain if you later discovered that you were only getting a box, even if the description above the tv stated that. The mere fact that the tv is there surely implies that you are buying a tv. The law deals with more than simple statements. I would bet that the shop would be taken to court for misleading its customers and I suspect it would lose its case.

Moi x