PDA

View Full Version : TESCO; well what was it like?

bekisman
26-Nov-07, 08:30
Being away at the moment, how was Tesco? will it be no more co-op, and no more extra 40 mile return to Wick.. Obviously a boring thread to some, BUT if it gives us choice, and good prices, then so be it!

newpark
26-Nov-07, 09:11
Is it today it opens in Thurso? Hope so I will do my shopping there tonight. Last 2 weeks I have gone to co-op I cant get hardly anything I want. They never have bread after work on a Monday night so annoying. Anyway anyone who goes this morning let us know what like.

Ash
26-Nov-07, 12:51
was at tesco today, it looks massive, good offers, also had tea and cake in the little coffee bit and it was good and not expensive

so im happy!!! :D

mccaugm
26-Nov-07, 13:45
Being away at the moment, how was Tesco? will it be no more co-op, and no more extra 40 mile return to Wick.. Obviously a boring thread to some, BUT if it gives us choice, and good prices, then so be
it!

Why not try Tesco Online shopping, saves time, money and the fuel for the journey to and from Wick.

telfordstar
26-Nov-07, 13:50
Was driving through Thurso this morning at 9.30 and the car park was packed and alot of folkies walking in. I didnt go in a look but the street itself was dead. The coops profits are bound to be mega low this week it will end up same as wick coop payoffs looming.

bekisman
26-Nov-07, 14:04
mccaugm: "Why not try Tesco Online shopping, saves time, money and the fuel for the journey to and from Wick."

Wish we could; we're too far out west but still find it worthwhile (fuel savings, offers, choice etc to drive VIA Thurso to Wick)
ALTHOUGH there is a possibility that Tesco (Wick) will be getting a bigger van and come out our way..

Cattach
26-Nov-07, 14:22
Being away at the moment, how was Tesco? will it be no more co-op, and no more extra 40 mile return to Wick.. Obviously a boring thread to some, BUT if it gives us choice, and good prices, then so be it!

Very Impressed. In very early when the shop was quiet and had a good look round. Very professionally set out and a vast improvement on Somerfield. Went in later when it was very busy but tills working well and quickly.

Compared a few prices with my favoourite buys in Tesco, Wick. All those items same price so let us hope it stays like that.

Easy parking and will be easier when the rush dies down. So much better than trying to get into the Co-op carpark.

Great addition to Thurso shopping. Once Asda comes and brings competition and petrol we will truly be on our way!!

hobbes1962
26-Nov-07, 16:14
I got there after I finished work at 7am and had to wait in a freezing car until 8am!!! Nevermind, I wasn't alone as there were about 6 of us who were the first ones in. I even managed to get two free bottles of champagne!

As for the store, its very clean, fresh and bright looking and looks nice. The wee coffee bar looks good but I was so cold and tired I just wanted home to bed so I never got anything out of it. They've got a good selection of groceries in the main store too.

ett23
26-Nov-07, 19:44
[quote=hobbes1962;301772]I even managed to get two free bottles of champagne!quote]

How'd you manage that? Were they giving free bottles away to the first few customers or was it only the first one through the doors that got something?
If it had been wine I'd be dead jealous but as it's champagne I'm not because I hate champagne!! :lol:

newpark
26-Nov-07, 20:01
Well thought it was great until........ I got home opened my pack of biscuits to find that they were soft and had gone out of date over a month ago. Nevermind cant be bothered taking them back as that would mean another trip to Thurso.

golach
26-Nov-07, 21:40
Oh naughty naughty Tesco, dont say you were not warned what they would be like when they took over in Caithness.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/23/nshops123.xml
And there is more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=QVSYDA3YOICOZQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQ YIV0?xml=/news/2007/11/22/nshops122.xml

gem1982
26-Nov-07, 21:47
I was in for a little while just for bread and milk really and of course to have a little nosy. Everything seemed good it was a lot cleaner and brighter than I remembered Somerfields ever being. It was busy though but like me a lot of people would have just been going in for a look. I like the fact that it is just a shop and doesnt have the fish or meat counters as this is protecting the local traders ie butchers and fishmongers in the town and although they have no clothes i dont really think this will affect the shops in thurso even if they did do them as it well I would imagine a lot of people do clothes shopping online for a greater choice really. All in all I think it is good.

lazytown
26-Nov-07, 21:53
I went in for a nose around wasn't needing anything....

Came out with 4 bottles of champagne..:confused

Ah well thats xmas sorted for parents and in-laws:)

changilass
26-Nov-07, 22:02
Oh naughty naughty Tesco, dont say you were not warned what they would be like when they took over in Caithness.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/23/nshops123.xml (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/23/nshops123.xml)
And there is more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=QVSYDA3YOICOZQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQ YIV0?xml=/news/2007/11/22/nshops122.xml

Both those stories are more about Waitrose than any of the other supermarkets ,including Tesco.

They all do the same so why should we worry about having the convenience of 2 Tesco stores. At the end of the day its supply and demand, if folks don't want to pay the delivery charge they ain't forced to do so.

I for one am quite happy to go on record as saying Tesco is one of the best supermarkets we have ever had up here, roll on Asda for even more choice.

Ash
26-Nov-07, 22:10
Both those stories are more about Waitrose than any of the other supermarkets ,including Tesco.

They all do the same so why should we worry about having the convenience of 2 Tesco stores. At the end of the day its supply and demand, if folks don't want to pay the delivery charge they ain't forced to do so.

I for one am quite happy to go on record as saying Tesco is one of the best supermarkets we have ever had up here, roll on Asda for even more choice.

well said!!!:D

alanatkie
26-Nov-07, 22:27

Couldn't have said it better mysel. Good on you Changi :D

bekisman
26-Nov-07, 23:34
Pleased to read it's been a good experience on the whole - We'll be going on Wednesday when we get home from this break for our first shop (although down here with a Tesco, Morrison, ASDA, Sainsbury's, Booths, Lidl, Netto, Aldi all within practically walking distance, they don't know how lucky they are!)

Highland Laddie
27-Nov-07, 02:25

Would be a bit of a bummer now if Asda didn't get into Thurso !!!
what with destroying a perfectly good greenfield site

changilass
27-Nov-07, 18:52
Really hope Asda do get into Thurso as have just been in Tesco today and its basically a big corner shop, they didn't have a lot of what I wanted, so will only use it for small shops, main shop will still be done in Wick.

Not too impressed with the coffee shop, very expensive and seating not suitable for toddlers, they also couldn't serve milk for the wee man )its not on the till) so had to get fresh orange at over £1, we each had a drink and a wee cake and it cost over £5

Nice to see some friendly faces though.

Ash
27-Nov-07, 19:06
i found the coffee shop resonably priced, for a tea, juice and two bits of cake it was under a fiver

everything i need is in that shop(foodwise)

huh
27-Nov-07, 22:46
It's alright I suppose.

karia
27-Nov-07, 22:55
Pleased to read it's been a good experience on the whole - We'll be going on Wednesday when we get home from this break for our first shop (although down here with a Tesco, Morrison, ASDA, Sainsbury's, Booths, Lidl, Netto, Aldi all within practically walking distance, they don't know how lucky they are!)

Hi bekisman,

Of interest..which of the above do you rate?

I'd have to go with sainsbury, morrisons, waitrose and best of all..Booths

I am sensing a problem here!:(

Karia

changilass
27-Nov-07, 23:38
Morrisons is my favourite, they will make a fresh cream cake for you while you wait, their 'celebration' or 'green' cake is wonderful, unfortunately when they were in Thurso they didn't have big enough premises to do thier whole range.

golach
27-Nov-07, 23:42
Morrisons is my favourite, they will make a fresh cream cake for you while you wait, their 'celebration' or 'green' cake is wonderful, unfortunately when they were in Thurso they didn't have big enough premises to do thier whole range.
Off to Morrisons for my real ale changi, £5 for 4, and Highland Park is £18.99 a bottle

changilass
28-Nov-07, 00:44
Off to Morrisons for my real ale changi, £5 for 4, and Highland Park is £18.99 a bottle

Now that is deliberate trolling - not fair winding me up like that, hope I get a celebration cake next time I'm in Edi :D

Baconbuttie
28-Nov-07, 17:19
Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't cooked chickens and fresh chickens be kept apart. The cooked ones are on the bottom shelf beside the fresh ones and a bit steep at £6.99

bekisman
28-Nov-07, 17:36
Hi Karia, It's Morrisons for us, like their 'buy one get one free' philosophy, the friendliness, the layout being totally different (Market Street etc) the 'pie shop' being a favourite! the restaurant; very good value for money and good quality, the little message on the shopping trolley (not as others shouting; THIS TROLLEY BELONGS TO ASDA etc) but "please return me to Morrisons if I'm Lost" (something like that).. and the fact that the Boss; Ken Morrison was a friendly easygoing bloke who 'mucked in' I remember speaking to the 'pie shop' chap in Alness when he opened and he was blown away that Sir Ken had been there and had spoken to him like he was a mate; no airs or graces.. So Yes it's Morrisons for me

NickInTheNorth
28-Nov-07, 18:07
Hi Karia, It's Morrisons for us, like their 'buy one get one free' philosophy

Don't you think it would be better if rather than charging twice as much for a single item as they need to and "giving" you a free one they halved the price and let you choose how much to buy?

bekisman
28-Nov-07, 18:38
Nickinthenorth: "Don't you think it would be better if rather than charging twice as much for a single item as they need to and "giving" you a free one they halved the price and let you choose how much to buy?"

Oh I am a silly billy, I thought I paid for 'two' at the 'one' price.
This "Half Price" and "50% off" are so confusing, and there's me thinking I had a bargain! whatever's a poor bloke to do?

henry20
29-Nov-07, 21:02
Well, I've just made my first and last visit to Tesco's in Thurso!!!!!!!!

Firstly, I thought the selection was poor - a lot of the things I used to go to Tesco's for aren't available, then when I got to the checkout and tried to claim my Tesco's 'extra points' the till wouldn't accept them. I waited 5 minutes for someone to anwer the checkout girls call for help (she was highly apologetic - 10 out of ten to her) She asked the checkout person next to her to buzz as she thought her buzzer couldn't be working, but was told to send me to 'customer services' (normally known as a fag counter as there is no mention of 'customer service' which is clarified by the onsuing events!!)

I ask for the points to be added as I am entitled to them - having just spent £80 in the shop. They check my receipt to make sure I am entitled to them, then proceed to add them manually. Nope, she can't do it (ok, not her fault she's not been trained properly) so she calls her supervisor and I wait for ten minutes and no-one appears, despite someone else going to look for her when the tannoy message goes unanswered. So, off goes one very hacked off customer (without points being added) to complain on org before heading to unpack shopping. [evil][evil]

Rant over ...........................

Co-op, I'll see you next week!!! In fact tomorrow, because I never got everything I needed!!!

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 21:11

[snip]

Co-op, I'll see you next week!!! In fact tomorrow, because I never got everything I needed!!!

Did they have any anchovies?

gollach
30-Nov-07, 00:34

I am with you, Henry20. I have never liked that place, whether it was run by Somerfield, Morrisons or Tesco. The service has always been second rate and I will stick to the Coop (no, I don't work there) and Lidls for my shopping.

Julia
30-Nov-07, 01:06
Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't cooked chickens and fresh chickens be kept apart. The cooked ones are on the bottom shelf beside the fresh ones and a bit steep at £6.99

Eeewwwwwww, yes they should, the cooked chickens should be in the aisle with the cooked cold meat, pork pies etc.. That's a serious health risk keeping them all together!

karia
30-Nov-07, 13:39
£6.99...what size of organic cornfed massively pampered, exotically flavoured, lovingly cooked chicken was that then?:eek:

Our Tesco sells large cooked chickens for £3.88...they are stored in a heated unit( to keep them warm) and well away from raw chickens.

I'm no fan of Tesco but if this really is the case you want to be having a word with someone!

karia

gollach
01-Dec-07, 03:02
they are stored in a heated unit( to keep them warm)

I find the idea of buying something that has been kept warm all day long slightly worrying. I wonder how many bacteria this process produces. Is it not better to cook something, allow it to cool and then refrigerate it asap?

NickInTheNorth
01-Dec-07, 10:53
I find the idea of buying something that has been kept warm all day long slightly worrying. I wonder how many bacteria this process produces. Is it not better to cook something, allow it to cool and then refrigerate it asap?

There are very strict rules regarding how long food can be kept warm, and temperatures that must be maintained. All times and temperatures must be recorded. Any failure to do so and they are in trouble.

K dragon
01-Dec-07, 18:01
tescos was okay.

but as someone said earlier, thurso once again have slightly got the wrong end again.

yes its a good selection of food.

but anything is, forget it.

miniscule multimedia, hell, somerfileds had more cds etc.

is it 24 hours like most tescos these days nope. (fair dos not an essential service for little ol thurso)

just feels like we got an oversized food shop.

im still happy that we have such a wide selection now, but still.....not what we all need really. we had a coop a lidls, we need what every other town or city needs. just seems unfair a times.

and i disagree with some people, a lot of stuff in tescos is cheap, but a lot MORE is not so cheap.

Royster1911
02-Dec-07, 17:28
Sorry to the people of Wick but I will continue with my shopping in the Wick store. The Thurso one is a poor cousin compaired to Wick. NO bars of soap on open day. Not to worry, I will get shower gel in place. Nope, none of that either. sob, sob.
Back to the co-op then.[evil]

dandod
02-Dec-07, 17:38
it looks smaller now than it ever did. the big red and blue glowing thing around the entrance made it look like a nightclub!! i think there is even less freezer sapce and what is the crack with the cereals that just looks odd and another thing it looks like they have installed the tills the wrong way round!!

unicorn
02-Dec-07, 19:02
Just nipped in today for some whiskas complete catfood on the way back from lidls and all they had was tiny plastic bags of it for 92p sheesh :roll: co-op or Frasers for me tomorrow

poppett
02-Dec-07, 19:53
Looked forward to Tesco opening to get Sago, semolina in tins and Farola in a packet, but no joy. On asking at customer services the girl suggested I go to Wick, but when I asked if they would have any of the products she had no idea.

Does any shop in the County stock the above???

karia
02-Dec-07, 20:00
Looked forward to Tesco opening to get Sago, semolina in tins and Farola in a packet, but no joy. On asking at customer services the girl suggested I go to Wick, but when I asked if they would have any of the products she had no idea.

Does any shop in the County stock the above???

God I hope not!;) LOL

Karia

JimH
02-Dec-07, 22:28

Firstly, I thought the selection was poor - a lot of the things I used to go to Tesco's for aren't available, then when I got to the checkout and tried to claim my Tesco's 'extra points' the till wouldn't accept them. I waited 5 minutes for someone to anwer the checkout girls call for help (she was highly apologetic - 10 out of ten to her) She asked the checkout person next to her to buzz as she thought her buzzer couldn't be working, but was told to send me to 'customer services' (normally known as a fag counter as there is no mention of 'customer service' which is clarified by the onsuing events!!)

I ask for the points to be added as I am entitled to them - having just spent £80 in the shop. They check my receipt to make sure I am entitled to them, then proceed to add them manually. Nope, she can't do it (ok, not her fault she's not been trained properly) so she calls her supervisor and I wait for ten minutes and no-one appears, despite someone else going to look for her when the tannoy message goes unanswered. So, off goes one very hacked off customer (without points being added) to complain on org before heading to unpack shopping. [evil][evil]

We made our one and only trip to Tesco Thurso, on the day after it opened, the place had more staff hanging about than customers.
we asked for a sandwich loaf, and was informed that they do not do them here, they are only doing the bread that somerfield did. Then we waited around at the checkout.
We went back to Wick on Wednesday to get what we wanted, and enjoyed the experience and have a laugh with the staff over there.

Welcomefamily
02-Dec-07, 22:56
It had so little stock that it appeared staff were filling up the shelves all the time, it was also a little squashed, it would have been better with a little more room and one less isle. I perfer Wick but will use it for odds and ends.

alanatkie
03-Dec-07, 00:07
Well i was there yesterday & got the stuff i needed, you cant expect the store to have everything Wick has as the store is no where near the same size.

WeeBurd
03-Dec-07, 00:13
The change in branding has definitely freshened up the place, and the staff appear really enthusiastic....

However, the aisles feel claustrophobic and I find their choice of stock curious... they have masses of tea, wine to name but two, yet they only have tiny bottles of veggie oil, and hardly any nappies :confused. I expected that I would still be going to Wick for my monthly shop, but I did hope that I'd at least get my basics in there. Alas I'm a bit disappointed.

Still, not to grumble, at least we HAVE Wick!:)

hell raizer
03-Dec-07, 00:15
i dont have any complaints about tescos they had everything i wanted and more :)

Baconbuttie
03-Dec-07, 23:25
Pleased to report that the cooked chickens are no longer beside the fresh ones.

However if you were in there today check your receipts, mine did not have the buy one free things or the 2 for £2 etc adjustments on it and I had to queue at customer services to get my money back.