PDA

View Full Version : Riding School - Livery Yard

wickchick
16-Nov-07, 13:03
The post about the riding school is still in my mind but thought about it alot and would probably be best to start a livery yard first and then work up to having a riding school for the grants etc.
Livery yard needed in wick?

TRUCKER
16-Nov-07, 20:03
IT would be a good idea there is a lot of people with horses so go for it

Royster1911
18-Nov-07, 11:01
IT would be a good idea there is a lot of people with horses so go for it
Are their not other riding schools in Caithness who are perhaps finding it hard to make ends meet? Thats the impression I am getting.:~(

TRUCKER
18-Nov-07, 11:09
I dont think there is a riding school in wick i think the nearest is lyth so one in wick would be handy for people without transport.

Royster1911
18-Nov-07, 11:14
I take your point but the number oh horse boxes and trailers passing my house at the weekend would put up an argument about the lack of transport for the horses. However, there is the costs of hiring the transport, so perhaps a school is needed on that side of Caithness. Good luck.:cool:
I dont think there is a riding school in wick i think the nearest is lyth so one in wick would be handy for people without transport.

wickchick
18-Nov-07, 12:31
Maybe i have given out the wrong impression,
I may be starting a livery yard in wick with about 5-10 boxes so that people can keep and look after their horses at the livery yard where everything will be organised for them, much less work that building stabled and so on. Then i may start up a riding school with my own horses that i will buy in so that adults and children can come and get riding lessons on their own horses or ones from the school as i will be a riding instructor.
Hope that has cleared things up as i think some people got the wrong end of the stick

porshiepoo
18-Nov-07, 14:09
Wickchick I think the whole idea is great and you should go for it.
Another riding school up here would be great as there's not exactly alot of choice is there!
As for a livery yard, I would imagine that there is quite alot of need for one, you'll soon find out if you do get one up and running.

Personally, I would take the opinion of others with a pinch of salt, I don't think you should let others opinions dictate what you do or don't do with your life.

Go for it and good luck I say!

Royster1911
18-Nov-07, 16:00
Sounds good to me. Hope you get the support you need and deserve.:D

Max
18-Nov-07, 19:29
I don't think a livery yard will ever go wrong with the amount of people who have horses in Caithness I am sure you would get business. The fact that you are a qualified riding instructor is a big bonus and something that people should ask before they attend a riding establishment - so giving liveries lessons will also boost your business. Then you can decide if you want to venture into a riding school as well - go for it!

chocolatechip
18-Nov-07, 23:35
I think it's a great idea the nearest ones I know is Lyth and the one at Halkirk but if I ask a question is it just for people with horses or will it be for lessons as well with spare horses?

ett23
19-Nov-07, 20:28
I think it's a great idea the nearest ones I know is Lyth and the one at Halkirk but if I ask a question is it just for people with horses or will it be for lessons as well with spare horses?

I think wickchick already answered that one - she'll have her own horses too for riding lessons if you don't have your own horse! ;)

wickchick
19-Nov-07, 22:48
Yeah, riding lessons for people with no horses, adults or children hopefully a wide variety.

henry20
21-Nov-07, 14:56

As far as I know, the one in Lyth closed years (10?) ago, so I would question the need for one if it hasn't been replaced.

Personally, I love horse riding, but think the cost of treks and finding time are problems for me - I love going up to Torrisdale and riding on the beach, but can only do that when I have a full Sunday free.

Maybe the livery side may work, but not owning a horse (again, time factor) I've no idea what is already available up here or what call there is for more!