PDA

View Full Version : disneyland florida

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
14-Nov-07, 21:30
Has anyone been to Disneyland Florida??? especially in the Christmas hols?????

We are heading out over new year and just wondered if there are any hints or tips for the trip....cheers1!

Ash
14-Nov-07, 21:31
Have fun!! mega jealous, i know this doesnt help much :D

Julia
14-Nov-07, 21:45
ME! ME! ME! I've been!

Not really any hints or tips cos it's all so brilliant! The fireworks and laser show every night is simply amazing! Found driving around very easy, everybody is so nice and helpful and polite, you won't ever want to come home!

It's shouldn't be too warm at that time of year, look out for the daily thunderstorms - the heavens open, the rain turns the roads into rivers and then suddenly it's all gone all that is left is steam rising off the roads!

rich
14-Nov-07, 21:55
Great discount shopping in outlet malls. Seriously, this is not to be missed.

George Brims
14-Nov-07, 23:09
The shopping will be doubly discounted if the US dollar keeps going down! We just had visitors from home and they couldn't get over the prices.

Tips for Disney WORLD (DisneyLAND is in California). The wee map they put in brochures showing the hotels area (most of them are together along one big street) is very deceptive. It is many miles from any one of the hotels to any one of the theme parks. If you don't want to drive a rental car then make sure you book a hotel that has some kind of shuttle service to the theme parks (taxis will add up and aren't very convenient). If you rent a car it's no problem, as long as you remember to drive on the right!

Besides Disney World we tried one of the Universal parks (there are two) and enjoyed that too. Islands of Adventure I think it was called. Some great roller coasters.

We drove to the coast to see the Space Shuttle launch (it didn't - high winds). If you do that have a bucket of change as the main highway has tolls every few miles. Not a lot of money but a nuisance rummaging for the change.

We also went to Gator Land, which is fairly near the Orlando airport. The outside looks a little tacky but the park itself is nice, basically a zoo with no mammals or fish, but some impressive reptiles, and a lot of wild birds that have colonized the trees since there is a nice toothy security system to keep the mammals away! But when you have lunch, avoid the Gator Nuggets - blech!

Finally if you're driving at night and break down, STAY IN THE CAR. Those bits of tyre rubber from the big trucks you sometimes see on the freeway aren't always from a big truck. Sometimes they have wee stumpy legs and a long snout filled with teeth...

leslie65
15-Nov-07, 00:04
I'd highly recommend buying a copy of "A Brit's Guide to Orlando and Walt Disney World" by Simon Veness. it has absolutely everything you need to know in it and is updated every year. I carried It around Florida with me for a fortnight, it was brilliant!

Moi x
15-Nov-07, 00:09
I've been there several times but at Easter and Autumn only.

Fave parks: Magic Kingdom (aka Disneyworld), Disney's Animal Kingdom, Sea World, Islands of Adventure.

The Shamu show at Sea World is a must-see but be ready to cringe at the patriotic bits.

Islands of Adventure is Universal's 'other', newer park, it's way better than the original in my opinion.

Disney MGM Studios and the older, original Universal Studios are good but not my faves.

Epcot is in two bits, the science and future bits are good but the other half is an American kid's view of the world, I found it dull and a bit patronising.

Haven't tried Gator Land. Thanks George, maybe next time.

The 'one big street' is Universal Drive. You can just about walk to Sea World from the south end but Walt Disney World is down the freeway and across a swamp. So...

Rent a car, forget about shuttle timetables. Petrol is still way, way cheaper there than it is here.

Drive to Cape Canaveral, see the rocket garden and go on the tour. Go to Cocoa beach on a windy day and see the surfers.

Drive to gulf coast (west) but only if you have plenty of time. The water's much warmer there.

Eat out. Everywhere is cheap, the dollar is lower than its been for 25 years.

Buy stuff. It's cheap. Especially outlet malls as rich says.

Have a great time!

Moi x

Anne x
15-Nov-07, 00:11
It is very romantic at xmas time do it that and the keys

Moi x
15-Nov-07, 00:21
The Keys are great but it's a long drive from Key West to Orlando. It took us a day and a half, stopping in at the Everglades on the way.

Accommodation on Key West is a tad expensive and not as plentiful as we expected.

Moi x

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Feb-08, 23:30
well it was only 5 weeks ago but seems like a distant memory - Disneyworld was AMAZING, totally outdid all expectations...... cant wait to go back..... due to time constraints pretty much stuck to the disney parks, did venture out to international drive on the last day and went to Dolly Partons DIxie Stampede on the last night, perfect way to end a magic holiday!!!!

If you have half an inclination to go....just do it ....the kids will love it....kids of all ages.... AMAZING!!!

purplerain
09-Feb-08, 23:50
I've been twice, last time was November 07, November great time to go for Thanksgiving sales!! They were practically giving stuff away it was so cheap!!:lol:
You've got to do all the parks, thats what Orlando is all about of course! All worth a visit, Disney, Universal, Wet n wild, Seaworld, Busch gardens is worth a look as well (over at Tampa). Plus there is a new water park open in March this year (beside seaworld).
Definately hire a car, saves waiting on buses and wasting valuable time! As long as you can get used to driving on the right!:lol:
Kennedy space centre is also worth a look (about 1 hr drive from Orlando)
International Drive is a great place to stay for your trip with wet n wild and seaworld on it, plenty shops and good places to eat. There are many budget motels to stay although most are pretty run down, I can recommend the Hilton Garden Inn on American Way (just behind I Drive), cheapish and relatively new so decor nice and comfy beds!
When you are there you must go to Texas de Brazil, its a brazilian steakhouse which serves you up various different meats on a skewer (served by waiters that are constantly offering to you) until you are full up, it honestly was the tastiest steaks we had ever eaten!! It was pricey but well worth it!
And lastly just bring the bare minimal in your suitcase so you can go crazy at outlet malls, clothes are so cheap, esp. when dollar good.
Hope this helps, enjoy!!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Feb-08, 00:10
we stayed in a disney hotel and didnt hire a car.....didnt find we were waiting for buses at all- very well set out....

maybe would hirse a car if staying longer and able to do more though....

kas
10-Feb-08, 00:12
well it was only 5 weeks ago but seems like a distant memory - Disneyworld was AMAZING, totally outdid all expectations...... cant wait to go back..... due to time constraints pretty much stuck to the disney parks, did venture out to international drive on the last day and went to Dolly Partons DIxie Stampede on the last night, perfect way to end a magic holiday!!!!

If you have half an inclination to go....just do it ....the kids will love it....kids of all ages.... AMAZING!!!

Its just over 5 weeks until we go. Which disney park would you advise as the best. We will not get to them all as we have the flexiticket for all the other parks, but hope to do one or two disney parks. Any recommendations.

Cheers

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Feb-08, 00:21
oh im jealous.....

well to be honest - the magic kingdom is obviously the king pin of the parks but very very very very very busy - sp much to do.....big variety of rides, some pretty wild good if you have mixture of ages on trip - plenty for the little little uns right up to the hardcore......

but my favourite park was probably Animal Kingdom, wasnt that impressed by Disneys MGM studios....i would say Universal studios would probably be better.....

Went to Blizzard Beach water park was really really good...good big pool to lie back in , gentle river running right round the outside that you can float along or go along in ring, some pretty wild slides in there too,......

Typhoon lagoon was shut for refurbishment while we were there so couldn't comment.....

Epcot was really good too - but again seemed busier that Animal Kingdom.....

I would say Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom if you could only manage too....

but Animal kingdom is open super late ...some nights until midnight and later .....but we found we were up early and early to bed so didnt really make use of that.....

best thing to do at disney is reasearch the big rides you want to go on ...... and get a fast pass....... that way you get given a time to come back and then you get to skip the ques .....but what you find is the mentally big rides sometimes the wait is really long like space mountain we went to about 1pm and the fast pass wasn't until 10pm as so many peopl wanted to go on....but by a stroke of luck we had gone to buzz lightyear and went back to space mountain and they had just reopened after having had to shut down for a wee while so we waltzed straight on.... thats a wicked ride....supper fast coaster in the dark....really don't want to have packed your face with burger before that one....

buy a guide book....really helpful!!!

kas
10-Feb-08, 00:32
buy a guide book....really helpful!!!

I did but I must have gone for the wrong ones as the one on Disney is thicker than lord of the rings, and it has no photos. Which one did you use?

Thanks very much for the reply, Animal Kingdom was the favourite for me as I am a nature freak, you have now confimed that visit. Thankyou.

We are going with intention of enjoying it as we go, not rushing to pack everything in, and hoping to return in a few years to do what we do not manage this time.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Feb-08, 00:47
well i'll look out the book for you - where are you ??? you could even have my book if you want - if you can pick it up ...its in dingwall right now but i can take it back to caithness next week :-)

What ages are your family (presuming you do have family and are taking them haha)

Moi x
10-Feb-08, 04:18
Hey kas, I'm envious. :)

I posted my fave parks and recommendations (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=296702#post296702)earlier in this thread, but here they are again.

Fave parks: Magic Kingdom (aka Disneyworld), Disney's Animal Kingdom, Sea World, Islands of Adventure.

The Magic Kingdom is a must-see and Animal Kingdom is great, and I'd put MGM Studios on my list too, but I thought Epcot was a bit old and tired. Water parks send me to sleep, literally.

Universal Studios in Orlando was a bit of a disappointment, it's nowhere near as good as the real one in Los Angeles, but Islands of Adventure makes up for that.

I love Sea World, you just can't miss the Shamu and dolphin shows. When I was there you could get a second day free with your one-day ticket.

You don't need a car if you're staying in a Disney hotel and are mainly visiting Disney theme parks, but it's handy to have one. I wouldn't stay in International drive without a car; there are shuttle buses but I am impatient.

lynne duncan
10-Feb-08, 17:44
we have 30 days to go and can't wait, we're planning the 5day pass to disney with 4 days for their water parks love disney especially mk.
also sea world and their new water park aquatica. google search this one it looks to be fantastic and only opens on the 1st of march. so will probably be hooching.
also going to cape kennedy and cypress gardens.
feet are ouching thinking about the amount of walking.
looking forward to the rollercoasters ( especially the kraken in seaworld and the yeti in animal kingdom)

must get one of the brit guides as want to look for the disney secrets, like cinderella's horse on the carousel and see what is in the drawer in the shop in main street mk

would love to get a disney dream, but its enough just being able to go.

first time my youngest 2 have gone so can't wait to see their faces
abigail has packed her disney dress already to get her photo taken with a real "princess"

rainbow
10-Feb-08, 21:26
The kracken is my most favourite ride in Florida, followed by Spiderman 3D at Disney, then Terror Tower and Rocking Rollercoaster.
I would strongly advise SeaWorld, also Islands of Adventure at Universal. The Disney Parks are great, suitable for all ages, but the magic kingdom is the best for young children. The parades are spectacular. The best night time show was at MGM, but you have to be there early to get a good seat.
Of all the water parks I prefer typhoon lagoon - with the huge tidal wave.
Lynn - I would advise Busch Gardens instead of Cypress Gardens - theres more to see and do with children. Cypress Gardens is OK but more peaceful, and involves looking at plants etc, but the water ski show is good.
Good luck to all you transatlantic holidaymakers - it is a great holiday, but you will need a holiday when you get back!!!!

lynne duncan
10-Feb-08, 22:59
theres a new section in cypress gardens and its ok me and mum are gardening nuts, love busch but not enough time, cypress also has the water park section too now

kas
10-Feb-08, 23:40
well i'll look out the book for you - where are you ??? you could even have my book if you want - if you can pick it up ...its in dingwall right now but i can take it back to caithness next week :-)

What ages are your family (presuming you do have family and are taking them haha)

Thankyou, but why dont you tell me the name and I will order it, I would hate to loose it and then you plan go back. Also thanks to Moi x for you recommendations. The kids are 11+12, but to be honest I am more of a kid than them. We went through the parks with them and let them decide where they wanted to go, after speaking to their friends it appeares Busch Gardens is the park to go. So that is why we ordered the Flexiticket and it includes the new seaworld park, which as Lynne said will probably be packed out but we will try it. We are staying on I drive and have a hired car so fingers crossed it all goes Okay.

To be honest I do not think it will be reality until we are there. I have so much to get organised.

pie man
11-Feb-08, 12:25
Ive been , its ace fun!! but remember your jackets or youll have to buy a disney raincoat , the wet rides Relli do get u wet :Þ

Whitewater
11-Feb-08, 13:39
Been many times when the children were younger, have now taken the grandchildren over as well. Never been there over Christmas & New Year but it will be great. Make sure you go to the Epcot Centre and try to visit as many other parks as you can afford. We have always found it brilliant, even had the grandchildren amazed at the number of rides I was on the scarier the better, I think since I retired I am well into my second childhood and probably enjoying it more.

We always rented a house and hired a car (generally a big Dodge people carrier) I find that you have more freedom that way, but if you are in a hotel anywhere on International Drive there are buses which run regularly as well as the hotel shuttles and you will get around all the parks that way without any difficulty.