PDA

View Full Version : Jyrojets/Liquid Blue, Blackstairs

Douglas Cowie
13-Nov-07, 08:50
Liquid Blue spoke to Kirsty in the Blackstairs last night and the Jyrojets are indeed doing a short acoustic set in the Blackstairs on the 24th before Liquid Blue go on. Kirsty actually went to school with some of the band members so she knows them well.
The Jyrojets will then get a chance to hear Liquid Blue as they will be starting the night with a set of their original material including some new songs written since the Ultimate Chill final. Hopefully this will allow them to build up contacts with the Jyrojets.
Funny how things come round: by turning down the gig supporting the Jyrojets they end up playing with them anyway.
Sometimes you just have to follow that road where ever it takes you.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Nov-07, 13:06
Do you think the Jyrojets will hang around after they've finished their acoustic set to watch Liquid Blue? I wouldn't count on it. Bands usually swiftly retire to another pub to talk about how good they were.

Douglas Cowie
13-Nov-07, 14:32
Pepsi I swear you have cynicism running through your veins.
If they do they do, if they don't they don't but I do try to keep a positive attitude and outlook to life and it's twists and turns.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Nov-07, 14:57
Am only teasing, Douglas, honest. Anyway, here's a Frank Zappa quote for you:

"I think being cynical is a positive value. I don't think anyone should trust anybody else. I also think all people are assholes until proven different. And I think you take that point of view, you'll be disappointed less in life. If you always expect the worst from people then the minute they do something nice it's a pleasure."

Douglas Cowie
13-Nov-07, 16:30
I know what you are saying Pepsi, I used to think like that when I was younger but as I get older I try to find the positives in everything but some days it can be mighty difficult.

I'm in positive mode just now as Katriona has decided to take a year out from college so Liquid Blue will be able to play a bit more and they have been coming up with some really good new songs which we hope to get recorded and on the net etc.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Nov-07, 19:55
She is? Why? I thought she started university this October. Am always sceptical (yeah, cynical) when teenagers take a year out, especially if it's concentrate on a band. You know what happened to Buddha Crush...

Douglas Cowie
25-Nov-07, 11:35
Do you think the Jyrojets will hang around after they've finished their acoustic set to watch Liquid Blue? I wouldn't count on it. Bands usually swiftly retire to another pub to talk about how good they were.

Glad to report that the Jyrojets arrived early at the Blackstairs last night and listened to Liquid Blue doing a couple of their own numbers at their soundcheck. They were very impressed with the band and left with a couple of Liquid Blue's CD singles, they hope to arrange a gig with the band in Inverness in the near future.
The Jyrojets did a 5 song acoustic set, I did the sound for them myself (and a fine job I did of it to) I was very impressed with their harmonies and their attitude, a fine bunch of chaps. I hope they get the break they deserve.
Don't know how the Waterfront gig went as I was doing Liquid Blue's PA but I'm sure young Isaac had them sounding good.
Liquid Blue had a good night at the Blackstairs and played a few of their latest tunes which they will be recording in the New Year.

Douglas Cowie
25-Nov-07, 11:45
She is? Why? I thought she started university this October. Am always sceptical (yeah, cynical) when teenagers take a year out, especially if it's concentrate on a band. You know what happened to Buddha Crush...

Sorry I took so long to reply Pepsi, a bit busy just now (trying to build a house)
I know what you mean but it's her decision and she feels that the band is the direction she want's to go in just now. Only time will tell if it was right or wrong but we will give the band all the support they need.
As for Buddha Crush any man who calls himself "Richie Revlon" deserves to fail.

rob murray
26-Nov-07, 12:35
Sorry I took so long to reply Pepsi, a bit busy just now (trying to build a house)
I know what you mean but it's her decision and she feels that the band is the direction she want's to go in just now. Only time will tell if it was right or wrong but we will give the band all the support they need.
As for Buddha Crush any man who calls himself "Richie Revlon" deserves to fail.

Bit harsh my man, heard them on the radio a couple of times, at the time I remember thinking that they had taken things a long way for a band with Caithness origins. Obviously fizzled out, but 10 / 10 for goign for it anyway.

Douglas Cowie
26-Nov-07, 13:58
Bit harsh my man, heard them on the radio a couple of times, at the time I remember thinking that they had taken things a long way for a band with Caithness origins. Obviously fizzled out, but 10 / 10 for goign for it anyway.

It was meant as a joke Robin not a serious comment I think Pepsi would know what I mean.

Flyermonkey
26-Nov-07, 14:08
Buddha Crush played T-In-The-Park, Glasgow On The Green, North By North West in Canada, supported various known bands, played numerous well known venues in the UK, had 7 plays on Radio 1 (2 on Mark and Lard, 5 on Steve Lamacq), down loads of radio sessions (including a few for Radio Scotland and one for Radio 1s Session In Scotland), recorded with Snow Patrol in Teenage Fanclubs studio.... etc etc so they did nearly make it!

They had a lot of record company interest (David Balfe from Food / EMI came to see them twice as he was interested), Sanctuary were sniffing about, lots of smaller Indies were after them and so on.

A real shame, as they were maybe just before their time - once The Strokes and The White Stripes came along their kind of thing made a big comeback, but too late as Buddah Crush had already run out of money and steam.

Flyermonkey
26-Nov-07, 14:10
Duh! Most sorry, I take back what I said, Douglas...

Just realised the refference! He he, fair point :D

rob murray
26-Nov-07, 15:02
It was meant as a joke Robin not a serious comment I think Pepsi would know what I mean.

Sorry, not up to speed as regards the "in jokes", just interpreted what I read.."fail" !! Fair enough.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Nov-07, 18:35
Indeed, very harsh... Mr Cowie

Maybe when your band has played T-In-The-Park, Glasgow On The Green, North By North West in Canada, supported various known bands, played numerous well known venues in the UK, had 7 plays on Radio 1 (2 on Mark and Lard, 5 on Steve Lamacq), down loads of radio sessions (including a few for Radio Scotland and one for Radio 1s Session In Scotland), recorded with Snow Patrol in Teenage Fanclubs studio.... etc etc then maybe you can afford to damn those who have tried and nearly made it!

They had a lot of record company interest (David Balfe from Food / EMI came to see them twice as he was interested), Sanctuary were sniffing about, lots of smaller Indies were after them and so on.

A real shame, as they were maybe just before their time - once The Strokes and The White Stripes came along their kind of thing made a big comeback, but too late as Buddah Crush had already run out of money and steam.

Ahead of their time? Now that is a laugh. They were a bunch of pseudo Manic Street Preacher-loving chancers, bed-wetters who were an average band at best.

Chobbersjnr
26-Nov-07, 18:44

& Louie Dubois (???spelling???).....I was in my 1st high school venture with Richie & it lasted half a song

Ahead of their time? Now that is a laugh. They were a bunch of pseudo Manic Street Preacher-loving chancers, bed-wetters who were an average band at best.

LMAO

Flyermonkey
26-Nov-07, 18:52
If you read carefully, I said before their time, not ahead! Subtle difference, I know.

The Manic Street Preachers (certainly in the early days, which I concede were where BC drew inspiration) were clearly heavily influenced by The Clash who were heavily influenced by The Who (debatable, I know) - but the point being that these things go in cycles. Standing on the shoulders of those before and so on.

I meant that the 70s punk / rock / glam / boys with noisy guitars thing came back 'in' with the Strokes / White Stripes so Buddha Crush who were very close to being signed may have just made the grade in an atmosphere more conducive to that kind of thing. Record companies, contrary to what they may pretend, tend not to like taking risks and are particularly bad at jumping on the latest band wagon.

As for 'bed wetters', I think Belle & Sebastian et al have done well despite that tag....

And 'chancers' is a little unfair as they did at least have significant musical talent.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Nov-07, 19:04
Before, ahead, present, whatever - it changes nothing. For your information, noisy guitar-based music has been around forever. You trying to say the world was waiting for Buddha Crush, only for White Stripes and The Strokes to come along and steal their thunder? Aye right. Belle & Sebastian are indeed bet-wetters, too, but at least they had some memorable songs.

Flyermonkey
26-Nov-07, 19:26
Again, you are misunderstanding what I am saying...

When the Strokes came along they heralded a new era of noisy guitar bands - if you remember the late 90s after the death of Britpop there was only really Nu-Metal that was fulfilling the kidz desire to rock. I mean this in a selling lots of records way, as I know that noisy guitar music has and will always be around.

I am not comparing Buddha Crush to The Strokes, what I am saying is that after The Strokes / White Stripes came crashing in there was a sea change in the bands that were getting signed and promoted. Nu-metal quickly faded and guitar bands such as The Libertines, The Hives, Datsuns, The Music, BRMC, The Vines, Interpol, Jimmy Eat World and so on were suddenly where it was at.

So what I am saying is that had Buddha Crush arrived in a scene like the above they may well have been signed and given the promotion that would have given them a fighting chance, not that they they had their thunder stolen by The Strokes / White Stripes!

Aaldtimer
26-Nov-07, 21:20
Buddha Crush . Mmmm. It's the only time I've seen the word "execrable" used in a CD review. (fROOTS Magazine)

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Nov-07, 03:38
Again, you are misunderstanding what I am saying...

When the Strokes came along they heralded a new era of noisy guitar bands - if you remember the late 90s after the death of Britpop there was only really Nu-Metal that was fulfilling the kidz desire to rock. I mean this in a selling lots of records way, as I know that noisy guitar music has and will always be around.

I am not comparing Buddha Crush to The Strokes, what I am saying is that after The Strokes / White Stripes came crashing in there was a sea change in the bands that were getting signed and promoted. Nu-metal quickly faded and guitar bands such as The Libertines, The Hives, Datsuns, The Music, BRMC, The Vines, Interpol, Jimmy Eat World and so on were suddenly where it was at.

So what I am saying is that had Buddha Crush arrived in a scene like the above they may well have been signed and given the promotion that would have given them a fighting chance, not that they they had their thunder stolen by The Strokes / White Stripes!

So what; are you saying we should feel sorry for Buddha Crush because they didn't get signed along with all the other bandwagonjumpers and subject our ears to even more dirge? That we should sob a collective tear for a band that had virtually no stage presence, even less charisma (Richie did, to his discredit, start the diagonal fringe thing that became so loved by the Glasgow post Franz Ferdinand indie-scene), who formulated an image clearly reflected by their love of the Manic Street Preachers? They were like JJ72 with burst guitar strings at best, man, come on.

I've no idea why you're so desperate to defend an average band that's now defunct - I can only imagine you're a member of the band or one of their family members. But that doesn't mean I don't like the band members personally. On the contrary. Everyone measures success differently and I think BC did OK - they're not the first people from Caithness to appear at T in the Park or do a session for a national radio station - but am sure Richie is happier doing what he does today. From what I can gather he's a good lap-steel player and has finally discovered a good taste in music. As for me, my taste in music will always be bad, and I can barely afford a guitar let alone play one.

Flyermonkey
27-Nov-07, 12:15
Fair enough, well busted! - I was their manager for a few years, and am only bitter that I didn't get them signed and get my 20%... ;)

I really did believe in them though, as did a lot of fellow travellers in the UK music scene at the time, so I wasn't alone.

Never mind, will agree to disagree with you on this...