PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

Bobinovich
27-Aug-05, 21:35
Having just watched the Casualty @ Holby City Organ Donation special I was wondering what the FM members thoughts were on the subject.

One of the points raised during interviews was the apathy of the public in doing anything about it - even if they felt it was a good idea. On that note I wondered why donation cards couldn't be sent out to all households - one for every person over 18 - and, if they choose to sign them and keep them in their wallets/purses, there are then many new potential organ donors.

BTW I am not currently a donor but will make a point of picking up a leaflet/card next time I'm at my doctors.

lassieinfife
27-Aug-05, 21:52
Personally I think it should be an opt out situation rather than the other way round.Many people dont carry cards because they cant be bothered,to many people die because of apathy,and many lives and organs wasted..for many years I carried a donor card,but now my doctor tells me I am not a suitable doner since i developed diabeties... surely my organs good for something rather than rotting away or going up in smoke which everway i decide is my final departure from this world
what's the boards opinion on that?

gleeber
27-Aug-05, 22:51
I didna see the prgramme your talking about but I can imagine some of the difficulties arising especially if it was never spoken about before the person became a possible donor. It must be a very difficult decision to expect a next of kin to make.
I see the problem being rooted in our inability to face the death issue. How many of us can talk openly about death. Our own death in particular. Its not an easy subject and definately on the top of our lists of taboo in our culture.
My excuse is that all my bits would be too well worn to be any good to anyone. Well, most of them that is. :eyes

EDDIE
27-Aug-05, 23:23
Me personally i think everyone one should be a donar after all once your dead the organs are no use to you so you might as well give someone else the chance to live.

dpw39
28-Aug-05, 17:52
I'm all in favour of the above, but it must be on a voluntary basis, and one must look at the age of the donor and recipient. Once we reach our prime in life and hopefully not after to much abuse, our remains should be utilised with the proper consent. I don't see the need for donations from elderly donors and their remains should be used for medical research, once permission is given by their relatives.

Ideally a database should be set up for all who wish to donate their organs on a national level, and next of kin should always be in agreement, whether it is for Donation or Medical Research.

As long as the organs are utilised in a humanitarian way and not for profit, say for the quality of a childs life etc and not for the longevity of a patient (who wants to live forever, and should we?).

I do not carry a donor card, however, I have a living will and my body has been donated to Liverpool University Science/Medical department on my demise. My Father willed his body and was accepted by Manchester University some years ago, and at the time it was a comfort that he was helping the community at large to advance medical science to allow others to live longer and to initiate new tecniques in surgery.

Without getting religion or morales involved, when a loved one is taken from us in their prime, if vital organs can be used as above, and our remains can be utilised for the better of mankind, then so be it.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

Lavenderblue2
28-Aug-05, 19:08
I am fully in favour of an ‘opt out’ situation. I do carry a donor card but now realise that it is worthless if you don’t physically register with the organisation.

I do feel that if a person carries a card and has registered that that should be the final decision rather than grieving relatives to be thrown into the equation. Although in last nights episode of Casualty the wife finally came to her senses I am sure that in real life this isn’t always the case.

As for age – there is always something that can be used. Even the very elderly who have hip replacements are asked if the bone that is taken away can be used in bone grafting etc………

Yes, I agree Bobinovich Donor Cards and registration forms should be sent out to all adults.

LB

golach
28-Aug-05, 20:01
I dont normally watch "Casualty" its one of Mrs G's favourites though, I usually catch the end of most episodes, but last night I saw most of this episode, and it gendered a fair bit of discussion by myself and my other half. I am still undecided wether or not to register for donation or not. My good lady is a donor card carrying person, which I had not know until last night, so I played the devils advocate as is my want. The discussion became a little heated, mainly about why had I not been informed of her wishes, and what could she do if I did not conform with her wishes. Her answer was " I will make sure you bliddy go before me"!!!!! What man can understand a womans logic!!!!!

Kenn
29-Aug-05, 02:02
I carry a donor card and would be quite happy for any organs that are of use to be re-cycled to the living in the event of my death. I have advised all of my family of this fact and hope that they will comply with my wishes when "The Grim Reaper" comes to collect me.What is the greatest gift we can give to a fellow man if it is not the gift of a better life?