PDA

View Full Version : What I Love about Wick

the charlatans
01-Nov-07, 23:25
In the autumn when the salmon are swimming up the river, you can't drive past the service bridge without seeing at least 2 people with their bums in the air looking over the bridge at the salmon jumping below them.

I have never seen it anywhere else and i really love it. I remember doing it when i was a bairn and i saw people doing it the other day.

I like lots of other things about Wick but that's currently my favourite!

Whats your favourite thing about where you live then???? 'fess up

Riffman
01-Nov-07, 23:26
Heck I remember standing under the service bridge trying to catch a salmon and getting chased off by an angry fisherman :D

lady penelope
01-Nov-07, 23:28
The 5 minute drive to work. No bad traffic and no 40 minute queues like where I used to live! [lol]

Phoebus_Apollo
02-Nov-07, 00:45
The road out.

the charlatans
02-Nov-07, 00:50
well us Wickers may say that about Thurso too. but come on it has its nice bits..... like the otters, they are pretty cool.

DeHaviLand
02-Nov-07, 00:51
In the autumn when the salmon are swimming up the river, you can't drive past the service bridge without seeing at least 2 people with their bums in the air looking over the bridge at the salmon jumping below them.

I have never seen it anywhere else and i really love it. I remember doing it when i was a bairn and i saw people doing it the other day.

I like lots of other things about Wick but that's currently my favourite!

Whats your favourite thing about where you live then???? 'fess up

Ah, bridge hanging, a favourite pasttime of mine, and of fishermen throughout the world. No matter where you go you will see people hanging over bridges in the hope of espying a fish or some other form of aquatic life. And if you dont see anything? Well, just watching the water go by is as good a way as any of whiling away an hour or so.

Pink Lippy
02-Nov-07, 01:54
Seeing my Gramps,
At the Crown and the Camps.

Having a drinkie,
Doon at the Trinkie.

Chatting to Mum,
Over a rum.

Oot with ma Sam,
Sinkin' a dram.

Geetin' home til Chez Pink,
And no havin' til drink!

the second coming
02-Nov-07, 07:51
I love wick because:

I met my wife in Wick.

It has character.

It doesn't have as big a chip on it's shoulder as other wee toons and just gets on with life!

I land there after being away from home for ages and missing my family.

Oh, and the berd in the Chinese resteraunt is nice. :confused

canuck
02-Nov-07, 09:38
The garden of yellow roses in front of the Council Assembly Rooms was for me an early and lasting memory of Wick. :)

riggerboy
02-Nov-07, 10:40
The road out.
is that from thurso, as the thread said what do you most like about where you live ????????? if you dont like thurso then move lol

riggerboy
02-Nov-07, 10:44
i think i like the people of wick most of all, they make the town what it is, a warm friendly place, but then again is that because 90% of the weekers can look back to great granny and granddads and find that they also were born and bred in wick, not like the dounreay invasion on the thurso side, 90% of thurso can only go back their mother and fathers and find that they came to find work, ????? no more from thurso than meets the moon just another incomer who doesnt have any roots up in our beautiful county

Camel Spider
02-Nov-07, 11:18
The fact you can move away, come back after 18 months and some people still think you live there !!

And its home at the end of the day.

Riffman
02-Nov-07, 13:03
lol I was away for two years, got back in august, most people had not noticed I had been away! Nice to be able to slot straight back in with no problem, that's what I like about Wick.

Really there is very little to moan about, we have a hospital, doctors, dentists, Tescos, petrol stations, airport, harbour, enough churchs for a small country, and plently of lovely countryside!

Trying finding a dentist in edinburgh that is not full up!

rich
02-Nov-07, 17:31
I love the green stuff on the roofs

hotrod4
03-Nov-07, 09:06
The thing I like most about Wick is the people.
You cant beat the friendliness and warmth of the locals and no matter where you go in the world you will always meet a wicker! :)

nanoo
03-Nov-07, 13:52
I agree Hotrod. I moved up here nearly 17 years ago and was made to feel at home immediately, the friendly Wickers took us to their hearts and made us feel welcome and now all those years later i still feel the same about them. I love Wick and its people.;):lol:

brew
03-Nov-07, 14:02
hospital.

No Q in A&E

You are always the 1st and last in the Q

singysmum
03-Nov-07, 14:06
We moved here last July and love:- The huge skies, the amazing seas after a windy day and the lovely quietness.

We also feel that our acceptance by the local people has been extraordinary. No great fuss of us but a quiet inclusion in things that are happening, making us feel very welcome. Thanks to you all!

Helen

Kenn
03-Nov-07, 23:33
The walk out by Trinkie to the old castle,the daffodils along the river in spring,the cheeky robin who shares my lunch in the riverside carpark and most of all the warm welcome we have always recieved from the locals.

TRUCKER
04-Nov-07, 17:57
Wick has a mixture of everything nice people nice scenry

lynne duncan
05-Nov-07, 00:11
a big sense of community, you still know your neighbours and can call on them in an emergency.
if you go out for a walk always leave an extra 30mins cause guarenteed you will find someone to blether
the harbour and the wild storms always cause us to go wow
the otters and the chance of seeing dolphins, seals or whales in the bay
houstons cream cookies
the crac in the clubs and bars
feeling of safeness