PDA

View Full Version : age for halloween?

funky-dunky
29-Oct-07, 17:21
hi i was just woundering the ages you start putting your kids out for halloween?

Ash
29-Oct-07, 17:23
when my wee one was 1 i took her to my parents and grandparents but its still quite young, she 3 now and we only going to family houses

Spring Flower
29-Oct-07, 17:27
when my wee one was 1 i took her to my parents and grandparents but its still quite young, she 3 now and we only going to family houses

thats what we do to - our kids went to family from their first halloween - they didn't know anything about it but i just liked dressing them up as little pumpkins etc so we could get photos of them!

bobsgirl
29-Oct-07, 17:27
My kids were both 2 when they started going out for halloween. I come from quite a big family so there were loads of their cousins going out with them. Hubby is always there though.
They are now 5 and 7 and I would still not let them go out on their own with friends, adult must be present as there is a lot of older kids that prey on little ones and steal their stuff!! Some kids are just evil!![evil]

rainbow
29-Oct-07, 17:29
My kids went out for Halloween while at primary school and only to houses of people they knew. I get really annoyed when older children knock at the door and have only bothered to put a mask on, and tut when you do not give them money - to me they are begging. And I also get annoyed when they are still knocking at your door after nine, as to me that is too late to be out. Some may say the younger children are also begging as well, but I disagree as they are only having a fun time, as long as they only go to people they know. I know others opinions may vary but that is mine!

Bobinovich
29-Oct-07, 18:07
I'd like to add that I think it's fine to take the kids to houses where it's obvious they're 'into' the whole Halloween thing. Anywhere which is decorated or has a pumpkin outsided or the like is, I think, expecting the kids to visit. Any houses in darkness or there's no related stuff visible we just bypass.

*Martin*
29-Oct-07, 22:07
We take our oldest (7) to a couple of houses in our street (mainly people she knows - friends etc.) then we go and see family. My sister is having a wee party for all our bairns because they are still too young (plus they don't really get much in the way of sweets)

I find Halloween hypocritical. All year long you teach kids not to take sweets from strangers then you put a costume on them and send them begging! Mind you I do enjoy her sweeties!

mums angels
29-Oct-07, 23:03
My eldest two went out for the first time properly last year at age 5 and 7 and were with two adults and several children ..most of the stuff never got eaten and ended up in the bin (or daddy ate them) as i don't allow sweets too often it all seemed a bit of a waste so this year they will be allowed to go with there dad to the neighbours and few friends and thats about it ...my two year old will be joining them for my street only with a total of 5 houses that participate in halloween ..doubt he'll get the sweets though (he'd eat the lot ) :lol:

Munro
29-Oct-07, 23:09
How many of you complain about our government trailing along after the Americans, doing their bidding, but are happy to endorse a pathetic American
ritual that has no basis of tradition or fact, will you be happy when all our kids are as fat as their's

mums angels
29-Oct-07, 23:14
How many of you complain about our government trailing along after the Americans, doing their bidding, but are happy to endorse a pathetic American
ritual that has no basis of tradition or fact, will you be happy when all our kids are as fat as their's

I don't complain ..and my kids are nice and skinny thank you !!!!!:lol:

Jeemag_USA
29-Oct-07, 23:34
I'd like to add that I think it's fine to take the kids to houses where it's obvious they're 'into' the whole Halloween thing. Anywhere which is decorated or has a pumpkin outsided or the like is, I think, expecting the kids to visit. Any houses in darkness or there's no related stuff visible we just bypass.

Totally agree, I was allowed to go out at a very early age with my older siblings, but back in my day if you were into halloween you put a lantern or something in the window, otherwise we didn't bother with the house. We were lucky though because we lived right by the american base houses and they were all into it, used to go home with two bagfuls. Remember having to wade through half a ton o nuts to get to the sweeties :P

I don't like Halloween over here, nobody puts any effort in, all costumes are bought off the rack for a few dollars and you end up with whatever film or kids program is popular at the time so there will be like 6 spidermans, 5 sponge bobs, 3 shreks and a Pirates of the Carribean. And the kids have nothing to say, not tricks to turn or nothing. Can't be bothered with it anymore.

*Martin*
29-Oct-07, 23:39
Remember having to wade through half a ton o nuts to get to the sweeties :P

That was part of the fun. I was mortified when my lass said "No thanks. I don't like at ones" when someone tried giving her monkey nuts last year!

mums angels
29-Oct-07, 23:46
Totally agree, I was allowed to go out at a very early age with my older siblings, but back in my day if you were into halloween you put a lantern or something in the window, otherwise we didn't bother with the house. We were lucky though because we lived right by the american base houses and they were all into it, used to go home with two bagfuls. Remember having to wade through half a ton o nuts to get to the sweeties :P

I don't like Halloween over here, nobody puts any effort in, all costumes are bought off the rack for a few dollars and you end up with whatever film or kids program is popular at the time so there will be like 6 spidermans, 5 sponge bobs, 3 shreks and a Pirates of the Carribean. And the kids have nothing to say, not tricks to turn or nothing. Can't be bothered with it anymore.

I also lived very close to them(well the ones up in john kennedy drive) and i remember the american houses were always done up well and had lots of different sweeties from the base ..i'd go up to my friends up there just to have a look as my dad didn't agree with halloween so we rarley got to go guising but when we did that was the first place we went :lol:

NLP
30-Oct-07, 00:03
last year dressed my then 1 year old for a party this year I'll be taken her to family and neighbours only, thats 6 houses, enough for a 2 year old, she loves her witches broom and hat not keen on the dress.

Anne x
30-Oct-07, 00:18
Mmmm A toughie this thread I went out guising as a child all around the local doors etc not for money like now !!!!
But we did know the right houses to go to not for a handful of monkey nuts but maybe a toffee apple or tablet or something different

Then a friend said I dont allow my child to go out guising I asked her Why ? she said its a form of begging ???

made me think not sure though !!!whats your thoughts

WeeBurd
30-Oct-07, 00:18
Both of mine were dressed up for their 1st Halloween's (10mths & 4mths), however they only go to visit the Granny's and our neighbours during the day (come the evening, they're safely tucked up in bed). I think once they reach Primary school, then I'll perhaps take them out to other nearby houses.

For us, it's not about the sweeties, it's about the fun of dressing up, decorating the house, carving the lanterns, making spooky cookies etc. I personally don't see it as begging, as it's a tradition for the kids - I do make them all perform a rhyme/joke/song before they get anything though, just like I had to! I love Halloween and I hope the WeeBurdies will grow up enjoying it too! :D

Max
30-Oct-07, 10:26

Bah..........Humbug!

Rheghead
30-Oct-07, 10:35

I have found out that it is a celtic tradition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Though let the souls of the dead be unleashed onto anyone that uses a pumpkin for a lantern rather than a swede!

I would have thought that any age would be suitable for a child so long as parents and child get a smile out of it.

Sandra_B
30-Oct-07, 10:50
We started taking our boys out when they were about 4. They are very excited to be going out in their Star Wars costumes this year.

Frankly it makes me mad to see people complain about "trick ot treating", isn't the fun getting sucked out of childhood fast enough these days??

Angela
30-Oct-07, 10:53
For us, it's not about the sweeties, it's about the fun of dressing up, decorating the house, carving the lanterns, making spooky cookies etc. I personally don't see it as begging, as it's a tradition for the kids - I do make them all perform a rhyme/joke/song before they get anything though, just like I had to! I love Halloween and I hope the WeeBurdies will grow up enjoying it too!

I couldn't put it better myself, WeeBurd, that's how I brought my kids up - we tried to be quite creative and to make an occasion of it. I know I enjoyed it as much as anyone! ;)
If you do it that way, I don't think it's either Americanized, or a form of begging. Lovely to hear you're keeping up this tradition in the proper way! :D

grandma
30-Oct-07, 12:10
When we were little we just went to the neighbours' houses dressed in old clothes and a mask. They had to guess who we were!! and then we had to do a song or a poem before we got anything. It was usually an apple, some nuts and maybe a sweet - not the humongous amount of stuff that my kids got. All the neighbours usually ended up at the same house and a great time was had by all. It was called Guising - not Trick or Treating. Ahh - the good old days ;)

golach
30-Oct-07, 12:34
When we were little we just went to the neighbours' houses dressed in old clothes and a mask. They had to guess who we were!! and then we had to do a song or a poem before we got anything. It was usually an apple, some nuts and maybe a sweet - not the humongous amount of stuff that my kids got. All the neighbours usually ended up at the same house and a great time was had by all. It was called Guising - not Trick or Treating. Ahh - the good old days ;)
Granma, aaah the memories you have just awakened, yes the old clothes, usually raided from the rag bag, laddies were usually in female attire, wrap around pinnys & head scarfs, and the lassies were usually in male attire even just a male jacket worn back to front,with faces masked, and we all had to do our party piece, Starting with "Please to help the Guisers, we will sing you a bonny wee song", and we never expected any money, usually fruit, nuts, or home made cakes.
Part of the adult fun was trying to guess which of the neighbours children the Guisers were.

Thumper
30-Oct-07, 13:30
It still is guising up here!As for age,well you are never too young OR old for guising ;) My kids all went out as soon as they could toddle to my neighbours door,with me with them of course.I dress up for Halloween and get the old rolling eyes from some for doing it,but why not get into the "spirit" (pun intended) of things [lol] Its just a bit of fun and the more we make it fun the more chance it has of not dying out.IMO I would rather celebrate Halloween than Guy Fawks night x

bobsgirl
30-Oct-07, 15:35
I think a lot of people are starting to fade out the tradition.
I go to a small effort to show the kids that we are into the whole Halloween thing. Decorate up the front porch with decorations and always carve a pumpkin.

I remember last years I had about 50 kids at the door, thank goodness I had enough treats to go around. This year I have made up slightly more bags just to make sure and have plenty spare. Don't want to upset the kiddies!!

I do think however that Halloween should be for the younger ones, they make the effort. I cannot be bothered with the kids from the High School that go to no effort and expect a treat just because it is Halloween!!

Thumper
31-Oct-07, 11:21
Hey everyone!HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :) not a great day for guisin,but the kids will still have fun! x

Ash
31-Oct-07, 13:29
wee one is just back from nursery she was dressed as a spider, they had lots of fun and games

HAPPY HALLOWEEN:D

emszxr
31-Oct-07, 14:01
mine was dressed as a spider also for playgroup.

Ash
31-Oct-07, 14:09
mine was dressed as a spider also for playgroup.

its a cool outfit and different, theres only soo many times she can be a witch:D

lady penelope
31-Oct-07, 22:47
Never mind how young should you be!

We had a dress down day at work and some of us really dressed up!

I think I scared a few kids today. Some couldn't stop staring :eek:

You'd think they had never seen a witch in a supermarket before [lol]

*Martin*
01-Nov-07, 11:57
I do think however that Halloween should be for the younger ones, they make the effort. I cannot be bothered with the kids from the High School that go to no effort and expect a treat just because it is Halloween!!

Couldn't agree more. I was shocked to see so many high schoolers out last night. None of them had made any effort what so ever. If I had been in and they came to my door I would have told them to get goin!

No effort = no sweeties :lol: