PDA

View Full Version : Laptop power supplies

ecb
26-Oct-07, 16:12
I have charge of some laptops. One of the laptops (a Compaq Evo n160 Notebook PC) power supplies has broken down. I think that to buy a replacement (if still available, from Compaq / IBM) would be quite expensive.

However, I saw the following "Universal" laptop power supply (purports to be used on a variety of laptop makes, this could be useful as I have charge of a number of different makes and models of laptops and users sometimes don't return the power supplies when they borrow laptops) on offer at my local Lidl for the week commencing (29th October 2007) at £24.99:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071029.p.Universal_Notebook_Adaptor_Set.ar11 (http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071029.p.Universal_Notebook_Adaptor_Set.ar11 )

Does anyone know if "Universal" laptop power supplies are any good?

Bobinovich
26-Oct-07, 16:48
Before looking at the item I was going to say DON'T, because what I've found with most universal adaptors is that where the swapable connector joins the cable is where they frequently work/bend and break.

However this one looks like the connectors are on mini extension leads which should take the strain away from the connector itself, so I'll probably invest in one of these myself, so thanks for pointing it out to me!

As far as whether it'll do the job for you, check the connectors, ensure that 90w is enough (you'll need to look at existing PSUs or check the tech. specs. of the various laptops), but other than that I would imagine they'll do.

brew
03-Nov-07, 14:17
Hi there ecb

I have a PSU for a compac laptop that I no longer use, I will pull it out tonight and see waht the power serrings are and you can see if it is any help you can have it for a small fee.

I am in thurso if that is any help to you

111heather
03-Nov-07, 23:10
hi i have a power suply adapter model num is lse9802a2060 not sure what make of laptop it is for no longer have the laptop

ecb
09-Nov-07, 17:26
I have bought the power supply it seems to work ok, hopefully it will work for a few years yet. Thanks for all the replies.