25-Oct-07, 00:52
Good evening all
Looking for the followimg
Ebenezer married Catherine Mar 2 1855 in Wick and had the following
Catherine b c. 1855
Janet b 29 12 1855
James b Oct 2 1857 all in Wick.
They also had
Christian b. c. 1860 Lethbridge, Australia.
They then moved to New Zealand where both Ebenezer and Catherine are buried.
Trying to find what happened to the children

trinkie
25-Oct-07, 08:01
Hallo Eric,

Who were the parents of Ebenezer Sinclair ?
I am working on a semi-crashed system here, so cant get at my Family Tree info.
I have Abenezer Sinclair born 1829
his parents James Sinclair and Margaret MacKay

his sister Helen Sinclair is my g.g.grandmother.

eric41
26-Oct-07, 04:05
Good evening Trinkie

Yes that is the same family

Eric

trinkie
26-Oct-07, 08:15
Hallo Eric,

Small world !
I am trying to find the address of someone in NZ or Australia who was connected to this family, in the hope that he will contact you in return with more information.
I have not heard from him for a year or two, but I am sure he has more info on the Sinclairs.

Donald Campbell's play called ''The Widows of Clyth'' which I mentioned in an earlier thread, involves this Sinclair family, Sutherlands and a MacKay. DC based his play on this dreadful fishing disaster in 1876, and is worth reading. It certainly gives one the feeling of raw emotion during that awful time - how the widows coped in such poverty etc.

trinkie

lynn prow
26-Oct-07, 09:24
Hi

I am reading the play "Widows of Clyth" at the moment. It can be purchased online. Did your Helen Sinclair marry Thomas Sutherland son of Andrew Sutherland and Jane Forbes. Is so I have them on my tree distant reli.

cheers,Lynn

trinkie
26-Oct-07, 11:33
Yes Lynn,

The dau of Helen Sinclair and Thom Sutherland was Margaret - my gt grandmother.

I'm so glad you are reading the Widows of Clyth. I saw the play in Edinburgh more than 20yrs ago not knowing it was my own family who were involved, and yet I was so moved by it all.

Where do you fit into this family? Looks like more green shoots are appearing on the Tree and it's not even spring !

trinkie

lynn prow
26-Oct-07, 12:42
Well here goes hope I get this right and you can make sense of it.

Son of Andrew Sutherland and Jane Forbes ........ David who drowned 1876 married Elizabeth/Betsy Sutherland (my 1c3tr)

her brother William also drowned he was married to Margaret Sinclair daughter of James Sinclair and Margaret McKay

also Elizabeth/Betsy's brother Robert, also Donald Sinclair brother to Helen Sinclair

Elizabeth/Betsy Sutherland daughter of my 2nd great aunt Elizabeth

I am in Australia if you need any look ups can do.

Will be interested to see what you can sort and add to families of Widows of Clyth

cheers, Lynn

waikceram
05-Dec-07, 00:07
Hi

I have posted a thread (see below) chasing information on my Sinclair family which links with Sinclairs included in this thread. I hope that you will be able to reply on my search.

Regards
Dave

Sinclair - Latheron, Clyth, Achavar
Hi - I'm hoping that someone will have information that will allow me to extend further back into my Sinclair family history.

My last confirmed link is James Sinclair born 1798 in Achavar. He married Margaret McKay and had four children, William, Ebenezer, John and Jane.

My line is through William who emigrated through the goldfields of Australia to settle in Christchurch , New Zealand.

It is possible that James b.1798 father was William Sinclair b.1768 in Clyth who married Margaret Sutherland. This is unconfirmed.

I have a note also on "Achavar Cottage" if anybody knows of this.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Dave Gardiner
Hamilton, New Zealand

Tighsonas4
05-Dec-07, 17:14
hi all
one more go
thomas sutherland dob 16 mar 1830
married 23 dec 1859 at bruan manse to helen sinclair
thomas hailed from afamily of7 children david janet john THOMAS
jane presumed dead no record of her in 1841 census jane again dob mar 1843 parents were
andrew sutherland baptised 2nd sept1798 died 15 aug18 68 typhoid fever
he married on the 11 mar 1825 at latheron to JANE FORBES
andrew sutherland hailed from a family or 4 that we could identify
david 27 jan 1802 james 26 jan 1806 ANDREW 2nd septdob missing and
alexander11 jan 1810 parents were
david sutherland mid clyth and elizabeth budge occumster and were
married on 5th june 1794
by the way david sutherland was my gt gt grandfather
have not got donald sinclairs family on record but there all listed on his headstone in clyth cemetey think some went to south africa
his widow died many years later at gatehouse tannach
hope this may be of some help to someone
regards tony