PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of old music?

buddyrich
24-Oct-07, 18:17
Like Aerosmith, Deep Purple or Steamhammer to name three.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Oct-07, 18:28
I quite like old music. Anything after 1976 though and I start to get seasick. Boy, that Stevie Wonder sure can play, huh?

buddyrich
24-Oct-07, 18:35
Stevie Wonder? Wasnt he the owner of the music store in the blues brothers??????

fred
24-Oct-07, 19:02

It's only Rock and Roll and when it comes to Rock and Roll I prefer the real thing.

Gleber2
24-Oct-07, 19:42

That's not even middle-aged music.:)
Was it not Ray Charles in the movie? They do have a lot in common, Ray and Stevie.

Deemac
25-Oct-07, 01:09
Personally, things got going around 1780!! (Though 1976 is also a good year (Paris - Genesis);)

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Oct-07, 05:01
I agree. The violin had well and truly had its day by the late 18th century.

davem
25-Oct-07, 08:07
Motown and Stax from the 70's take a lot of beating, always thought Deep Purple, Aerosmith and co took themselves far too seriously; altho I did see Uriah Heap for my sins, AC/DC too with Bon Scott when the gutarist should have been wearing shorts, why has no one told him it really isn't a good look now?

Mik.M.
25-Oct-07, 12:02
My theory is good music never dies. Find the new trend of opera stars recording country and pop ballads in italian rather disturbing. Had a good laugh when I googled my cousins band Ok Tokyo and read the bands profile and the guff they've written there (if anyone likes Indie/Rock).

rob murray
25-Oct-07, 13:56
Was any post 1956 "music" ever wholly original ? All genre classification does is focus on changing packaging and promotion, the core product "music" is basically the same, either played slower/faster,with differing tonality..surely ?

fred
25-Oct-07, 15:29
Was any post 1956 "music" ever wholly original ? All genre classification does is focus on changing packaging and promotion, the core product "music" is basically the same, either played slower/faster,with differing tonality..surely ?

Take a look at what a master had to say on the subject back in 1972 in the interview at the end of this clip, there was nothing new even in the 50s, Glen Miller's "In the Mood" was just 12 bar blues called swing.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QH1JMWwv3OQ

I was in the stands to the left of the stage back in '72.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Oct-07, 16:00
That's not strictly true, and you know it.

fred
25-Oct-07, 16:10
That's not strictly true, and you know it.

Isn't it?

Here's a clip of Glen Miller playing In the Mood, listen to the chord sequence, even got the nice syncopated drum beat laid at the back of it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJE-onnw2gM

rob murray
25-Oct-07, 16:52
Your right Fred, Ike Turner in 1950 /51 is generally credited with taking 12 bar "swing" to a cross over audience pre what was called rock n roll or rockabilly ( uptempo country/ blues ) He didnt invent the sound just took what was prevalent and what he saw audiences reacting to.

roblovesplastic
27-Oct-07, 19:08
I liked the times when we had instruments made of annoying peoples body parts.

Seriously though, depends how far back you want to go, greensleeves?

My personal favorite old bands are:

1 The Beatles (nuff said)
2 U2 (cmon, before they dissapeared up there)
3 Pink Floyd (1st ever dance track DSOTM Track 3)
4 Talking Heads (so many new bands sound like either TH or the tom tom cub).
5 milli vanilli

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Nov-07, 20:02
Thats what I love about U2.There ma favourite group fae ma past but still a group releasing stuff today.To me,the boys are greater than The Beatles,The Rolling Stones,The Who and Pink Floyd.I love these other four bands,but look back in music history and see what band has lasted thirty years with the exact same line up and still churning out albums that still appeal to that generation of kids.Well Done boys and keep the music going.

K dragon
15-Nov-07, 20:10
ray charles was the shop owner in blues brothers

Dreamweaver
21-Nov-07, 15:21
Motown and Stax def take some beating imho. My era - just takes me back to my misspent youth :lol: