PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Help Plz?

highlander
17-Oct-07, 22:01
My son phoned me and asked if i could post this on here as he is having problems with his computer, i will type what is coming up on his screen.
\windows\system32\config\system the following file is missing or corrupt yu can attempt to repair this file by starting windows up using the original CD rom\ select R at the first screen to start repair, he has done this, the hard drive is doing something but then goes back to original screen, he cant even get the computer to start in safe mode, does anyone know what he can do?

Bobinovich
17-Oct-07, 23:33
THe instructions are right but I've found the following to be better...

1.Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.

2.After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.

3.When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.

4.Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER (if you are unsure if there is a password try just pressing ENTER - it is frequently not set and this should bypass it)

5.At the recovery console command prompt, type chkdsk /r and then press ENTER

The system will run through the scan (which may take a while) after which you can remove the CD and restart the computer. Hopefully it will have repaired/replaced the damaged/missing file and Windows XP will start.

Let us know how you get on.

highlander
18-Oct-07, 16:58
Thank you Bob for your time in posting, son phoned tonight and said he managed to get the computer fixed before i managed to talk!!! and that is some feat to do LOL