PDA

View Full Version : Margaret and Marion Sutherland

marionq
13-Oct-07, 15:36
My gt,gt, grandmother Margaret Sutherland was said to be from Berriedale in census forms and on her death certificate. Her sister Marion or Merran lived with her for most of their lives. I have found an entry for 2 Jan 1794 for Margaret's birth and 12 Dec 1787 for Marion/Merran's birth which corresponds to the age differences on the census forms and death cert forms.

These entries only show that they are the daughters of John Sutherland of Latheron (which seems to encompass Berridale at that time - is that correct?). Any ideas as to how I might also find if this John's wife was Margaret Bruce who was their mother.

I have great faith in the historical knowledge of contributors to this site.

Marion

Andrew Bruce
14-Oct-07, 12:34
I have a Margaret Bruce who was born @1781 to David Bruce and Margaret Campbell in Latheron. She was married to William Sutherland. She would only have been 6 years old in 1787 so unlikely on 2 points to be the same Margaret Bruce. There were 2 Bruce families in Berridale and 3 Bruce families in Latheron in the 1780s according to records. The 2 Margaret Bruces were most likely related.
If you have any other info I might be able to find a common relative. The first I have is a Walter Bruce born from the Bower area in 1720 who married a Gunn daughter of Cattaig about 1746 and a George Bruce who was about 30 years old in Latheron in 1740. Walter had a son David who was the father of Margaret in @1781.
I have the history of the Bruce families from about 1580-1700 in Caithness but there is a 20-40 year gap in the history with lots of circumstantial links but nothing other than family oral history to go on.
The history of the early Caithness Bruce family at Stanstill goes back to the Brother of King Robert the Bruce, Thomas Bruce.
Finding the missing link of that 40 year period to link the 2 Bruce families would be good.
Hope this helps.
Andrew Bruce

marionq
14-Oct-07, 17:30
Thanks for your info. I wish I had more to help but can only tell you that on the death certificates of her two daughters Marion and Margaret the names John Sutherland Crofter/Tenant and Margaret Bruce are given while the two women declare themselves to be from Berriedale in the various Census forms. Margaret married Alexander Fleming my gt, gt grandfather at Badnabay, Sutherland in 1816 and thereafter lived in Fanagmore for the rest of her days.

When I look for possible siblings on the LDS I get quite a few for Latheron around those dates but they all just give John Sutherland and no mother so it is impossible to say if they are the same family.

Marion