View Full Version : Green's of Stroma

jackie
11-Oct-07, 20:50
Does anyone have any information on the Green's that lived in Stroma? I was recently in Orkney and someone suggested that our connection to Stroma may have been through the Green's. Trying to find out if any of the Green's had parentage through the Simpson's.
Thanks
Jackie

Mamie_2
14-Oct-07, 18:09
No parents named Simpson or its variations in the Green's I have on my database.

Only three marriages Green/Simpson

one likely in the 1920-1930's of George Banks Simpson 1900 and Jane Green born after 1901 census

James Simpson 1849 and Margaret Green 1854 m Jul 8 1876

George Green 1852 and Charlotte Simpson Allan 1852father George Simpson or Allan m Jan 24 1873

Mamie

jackie
15-Oct-07, 19:51
Thanks Mamie
I will check into those and see if there are connections, I did find a listing on the IGI (Mormom site) that has a Jemima Simpson Green listed, but could find only her parents listed, and then I tried to follow the lead and it seemed to go no where. Trying to find out where the Simpson came into the middle name.
Like I said this lead was given to me this Sept when I went to visit Flotta, and was asking if anyone there knew who it was that we were related to on Stroma, so decided to follow up and see if lead anywhere.
Do you know if there is a website related to the Green's on the net? I did a name search but you can imagine the hits I got putting in "Green", so that was fruitless!
Thanks Jackie

Mamie_2
15-Oct-07, 22:31
No website that I am aware of specifically for Green's.

Mamie aka Maryann
have your figured out who I am yet lol

Mamie_2
15-Oct-07, 23:23
is the one you are referring to the d/o James Green and Sarah Allan?

If so Sarah Allan as was her mother Sarah Duncan was from South Ronaldsay and she and James married there in 1858. They are on Stroma in 1861. However her father was possibly born on Stroma. Certainly his father George Allan is on Stroma in 1841.

I know who James parents are as well.

Still I can't see any obvious Simpson connections either. Well it is possible that George Allan or Simpson born 1822 father John Allan and mother Janet Simson is the connection. John Allan could be the son of Sarah's grandfather George Allan c 1761 married to Margaret Bremner.

George Allan or Simpson 1822 is connected to one of the Simpson/Green connections above.

Maryann aka Mamie

jackie
16-Oct-07, 21:40
Mamie aka Maryann I am stumped right now as to who you are-i know I will feel dumb when you refresh my old brain!
I was wrong on the Jemima Green bit but that info that you sent is really helpful, I will check into that Janet Simson line.

The one I found on the IGI was a Jacobina Simpson Green B: 18 Oct 1855 Wick, F=John Green M= Margaret Murray
Margaret Murray's parents were a George Murray and a Jemima Simpson Polson M: 3 Feb 1826 Olrig.

So that is where I got the name Jemima from. This info was put on the IGI by one of its members but I could not come up with anything else on this family. As for the marraige of Murray/Polson it is listed as George Murray + Simpson Polson! Maybe first name was unreadable.

Do you have anything on that Jacobina Simpson Green? Just trying to find as many Simpson/green connections as i can then I will search my Simpson Stroma Database and see if I can connect any of those to the Canisbay line.

thanks for help and I apologize for not knowing off hand who you are :-(
Jackie

spittalhill
22-Oct-07, 13:21
There is a chapter in Donald Young's Book of Stroma written by Helen Green who was born on Stroma.

jackie
22-Oct-07, 20:29
Thanks for that info but I do not have that book to look into, does anyone have a copy that could do a look up for me?
Jackie

Mamie_2
24-Oct-07, 16:04
Sorry nothing on Jacobina Simpson Green or her parents. Very few Polson's on my tree.

We collaborated earlier on the Simpson's of Stroma and Canisbay.

Maryann Rosie

jackie
29-Oct-07, 04:18
Thanks Don for sending me the pages of Ella Green's memories from the book Stroma. In her story she makes mention that her father: James Andrew Green his mother was from the Isle of Flotta, Orkney and that she died when he was only 9 years of age.
James Andrew Green married Katherine (Katie) Wares and in Sept of 1939 had their daughter Helen Green.

Does anyone know which Green's James came from? Or the Wares that Katie came from. Katie's mother's name was Eldie Green but I have no idea what that name actually stands for.

Trying to find out who James's mother was from Flotta to see if she links in with our family.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Jackie