PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband Talk/ Broadband suppliers

Fluff
10-Oct-07, 11:46
My boyfriend and I are looking to get broadband installed in our new flat but we are alittle confused by the BT option. You can get Broadband talk, but does anyone know, is that an IP phone (you make calls through your broadband) or a normal phone??

Also, does anyone have any recomendations for suppliers?

many thanks

emb123
10-Oct-07, 12:22
Kind of depends how you want to use your internet and your phone, also whether or not you want a TV bundle included. Also, I take it that your phone line is currently with BT, although I suspect that in Reading vicinity you are in a cabled area for Virgin cable broadband - one of the most versatile.

There are some good deals about;
the free Dell laptop with 18 month AOL contract seems pretty good to me if they are still doing it.
Some give you a free wireless router, some don't.

Personally I wouldn't be overimpressed by free routers as you can pick up a wireless router for well under £15 on ebay. I'd be more inclined to look at the quality of the service, the speed of it, who the 'fair use' is fairest to (you or them). Basically what you are getting for you money every month.

For ADSL (non cable) it can make a difference how far you are away from the exchange.

Also if you trial anyone, be aware that there are ways to 'cancel' and switch to a different provider that don't leave without any internet for weeks. It has to do with MAC or 'Migration Access Code's and they are a pain in the neck.

Personally I use Virginmedia. They aren't the cheapest and they gave me no free anythings, and no setup support. Just a disk. But on the whole, despite the latest developments in traffic mangement (speed limiting) which they are administering with all the subtlety of a velvet wrapped club hammer, they are ok, I would still not choose anyone else; well ok; maybe a free Dell laptop would 'do it' for me :)

Thumper
10-Oct-07, 12:51
Just be careful if you go with BT as to what they charge and when, I signed up for Bt broadband in July and requested a DD every month for paying it.I then was a wee bit ill so hadn't kept track of payments being taken so when my quarterly bill came in I nearly fell off my seat at the charges on it!£103.65 for broadband charges that were meant to be paid monthly!They also charge you in advance for broadband so i was charged up until November.When I phoned them they said that I couldn't pay just the broadband monthly, I had to pay the phone bill monthly as well and that's why they hadn't taken the DD for it!It was never mentioned when I signed up though [evil] The upshot is I had a bill for well over £200 that was extremely hard for me to pay as I am not working at the moment!What can I do???Nothing I have to lump it as when I took broadband from BT it is a 12 month contract,but you can bet your boots that come next July I will be saying bye bye to them! x

telfordstar
10-Oct-07, 16:27
Im with orange for my broadband and pay £19.99 per month for it and got all equipment needed from them ie livebox as this is a laptop etc. When i signed up for it i got 6 months at £19.99 and 6 months free was well impressed with them and have had no problems with them what so ever :D

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 20:17
I am with BT, its just about impossible to ever get through, once my contract is up I am moving to Toucan, they were very good.

sistevens
11-Oct-07, 16:41
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

go here it will allow you to see what options you have available to you

Fluff
14-Oct-07, 18:51
trouble is, we don't have the phone line connected yet. Most suppliers seem to want a BT line. OOh this is frustrating and pricey