PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new residents

Bananas
09-Oct-07, 19:21
My wife and I plan to retire to Wick, which is a homecoming for her as mother-in-law came from Keiss originally.

What advice can you give incomers (apart from the obvious) about the area, the pro’s and the con’s ?

Such gems as what’s the TV reception like (freeview) how’s broadband? Is the weather really that bad in winter? (we've only been there in the summer/autumn)

Thanks Bananas

TBH
09-Oct-07, 19:35
The weather's quite mild in the winter now compared to years past, the reception for free-view is excellent, just make sure you use a broadband ariel and remember to wind up the tv.
We do have hot and cold running water and indoor toilets and all the other amenities to make your stay more pleasurable.:D
Hope you enjoy your retirement and have many happy years in caithness.

TBH

karia
09-Oct-07, 21:39
Hi Guys,

Make sure that Mrs bananas has no silly ideas about her hair....like being able to do something with it, ever again!:roll:

She will need hats..............lots of hats!

karia

rockchick
09-Oct-07, 21:53
Suggest that you try it out for a year and see how you get on, before you commit. Caithness is lovely for many folk, but it's not for everyone. If you can still love it after 12 months, you'll love it for the rest of your life.

JAWS
10-Oct-07, 03:59
Spot on with that, rockchick. I think the main things which cause problems are the winds and the very long dark winter nights, especially the latter.
If you can cope with them then you are 90% of the way there, unless you really do miss the hectic life of a city or a large town.

Torvaig
10-Oct-07, 09:37
My wife and I plan to retire to Wick, which is a homecoming for her as mother-in-law came from Keiss originally.

What advice can you give incomers (apart from the obvious) about the area, the pro’s and the con’s ?

Such gems as what’s the TV reception like (freeview) how’s broadband? Is the weather really that bad in winter? (we've only been there in the summer/autumn)

Thanks Bananas

As others have said, just come up and try it.... e.g. last winter was very mild, hardly any snow or frost. If you have experienced our summers and are still thinking about retiring up here, you'll survive!

A lot of liking or disliking a place is up to ourselves. It is all about attitude, expectations etc., and taking time to make good friends. Watch and learn!

Keep in touch with the natives on this site and they will keep you right! ;)

BRIE
10-Oct-07, 10:13
I came up on holiday for a week then went home & put my house on the market.I moved up 3 months later!
The first year was definately the hardest & moving so far away from family was hard to ajust to, but nearly 5 years down the line & i wouldnt change a thing I absolutely love it.
People up here are very friendly & welcoming.
Just remember the pace of life is completely different dont be in a rush to do anything.
nothing up here gets done in a hurry! if you nip to the shop expect to be a while as everyone loves to chat.
If your looking for a tradesman dont be in a hurry for them to come.

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 10:56
The long nights of Winter can be hard to deal with, but the tan cabin helps.

Turn them into some thing positive, lots of early nights, watch a good movie sat in bed, massaging aromatic oils into wifies neck and shoulders followed by head massage while feeding wifie with large amounts of Brandy and Champers and King Prawns wrappped in Smoked Salmon on diddy pan cakes followed by Seedless Grapes dipped in melted Chocolate and Orange brandy and left to cool. Then once the film finished, get wifie to push the red rose petals (you left there) off her pillow ready to go to sleep.

In morning wifie forgotten about the lack of shopping facilities, time since she last had a week in the sun and when you promised to start the decorating.
No its great up here.

EDDIE
10-Oct-07, 17:14
I think people up in caithness are freindly but by god there nosey there is no secrets up there lol.

Margaret M.
10-Oct-07, 18:50
Turn them into some thing positive, lots of early nights, watch a good movie sat in bed, massaging aromatic oils into wifies neck and shoulders followed by head massage while feeding wifie with large amounts of Brandy and Champers and King Prawns wrappped in Smoked Salmon on diddy pan cakes followed by Seedless Grapes dipped in melted Chocolate and Orange brandy and left to cool. Then once the film finished, get wifie to push the red rose petals (you left there) off her pillow ready to go to sleep.

Yowsers, I'm not sure if I just read part of a steamy, romance novel or a cookbook.

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 22:00
Most men do this at least once a week , dont they?

BRIE
10-Oct-07, 23:01
Most men do this at least once a week , dont they?

I wish!!!:lol:

anneoctober
10-Oct-07, 23:17
I think people up in caithness are freindly but by god there nosey there is no secrets up there lol.
We're just "taking an interest" can't have folk thinking we're "standoffish":lol: Or have you got something your no tellan us eddie?![lol]

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:17
You ll have to start teaching him these skills, start with the grapes dipped in chocolate, use a cocktail stick to avoid you getting burnt. Use some proper chocolate not cooking and once dipped leave to cool. Feed him a couple and then get him to feed you.
Skinner the behaviour psychologist says that any course of behaviour should be broken down into little steps, when the subject achieves any of then reward him. ;)

Bananas
11-Oct-07, 17:52
Many thanks folks for your informative and entertaining responses. Don’t worry about Mrs B’s hair Karia, I’ll be getting her one of those Britany Spears haircuts so no problem. What are you on welcomefamily and can I have some?

karia
11-Oct-07, 18:05
Don’t worry about Mrs B’s hair Karia, I’ll be getting her one of those Britany Spears haircuts so no problem.

I can't help thinking that you haven't mentioned this small fact to the good lady yet.... seeing as how you're still breathing! :eek:

Can I suggest that you read all the tips from Welcome family and have some on stand-by for when you do.;)

Much Luck

karia

peedie
11-Oct-07, 20:21
i'm sporting the britney hairstyle at the moment, a rather shmexy no.1 complete with ever expanding bald patches.... but not even the wind in caithness can mess it up..... dont knock it!! however wigs/hats/scarves are just laying down the gauntlet to mother nature up here and you wont win [lol]

cuddlepop
11-Oct-07, 20:31
What got us the first time we visited which was in December,was how cold it was.The beach front at Thurso wouldn't have been out of place in the Artic.
It wasn't just your ordinary cold but a "deep to the bone clean cold"
No mater what winter woolies I shoved on I was cold.:eek:

I guess in time your body temperature adjusts.

karia
11-Oct-07, 20:37
What got us the first time we visited which was in December,was how cold it was.The beach front at Thurso wouldn't have been out of place in the Artic.
It wasn't just your ordinary cold but a "deep to the bone clean cold"
No mater what winter woolies I shoved on I was cold.:eek:

I guess in time your body temperature adjusts.

Does it though?

How different is that experience now from the 'bone skelpin' cold of then?

karia

oldmarine
12-Oct-07, 02:13

Thanks Bananas

I thought the winters in Thurso were quite pleasant. Along the coast the weather was quite mild. Further in the mountains the weather could be quite cold and wintery. Your other questions will have to be answered by the locals remembering that it is their opinions.

Bananas
24-Oct-07, 17:22
I've been reading, some interesting comments on another thread, especially some anti-English comments relating to a recent rugby game, which has prompted me to rephrase my original question and ask what I really mean.

I'm looking for some discussion relating to any differences to the attitude extended to a permanent incomers as opposed to the very warm welcome that's always been extended to me as a holidaying Englishman?

Where I currently live in East Anglia, there is a very negative attitude towards the Eastern European influx which makes up some 30% of the population in some towns. Where I work however, most of the people I meet daily are Scots (i.e. from a Scottish Army Regiment) and we have no problems whatsoever.

Mrs B is half Scottish (from Wick area) and she gives me a really hard time!!

Thank you.

nanoo
24-Oct-07, 18:01
Hi Bananas,I've read the thread you are talking about and when i saw the topic i just moved on. Don't be afraid to come to the area, it is no different from where you are now. I don,t originally come from here although i am Scottish, the people are very friendly no matter your nationality. We came up here in 19991 and i've never regretted it, in fact when family come for a visit they cannot believe how everybody speaks to you in the passing. A few of my own friends(that i made up here) are English. move up with no second thought about it, you'll see what i mean.;)