PDA

View Full Version : Belkin Wireless G Router Problem

dancingtaz13
08-Oct-07, 21:38
Hi,

we have the above router and have found out that a few people in our area have connected to our connection as it is not secure, ie with a password. We have phoned Belkin to ask for help in setting up the security but after 40minutes both myself and the advisor were quite annoyed as neither of us could understand each other so i was asked to phone back! We get so far in setting up security through the Belkin website then the page cuts off saying the connection was reset then we have to reset the router. We disabled antivirus and firewall as advised by Belkin advisor and still doesn't work.

Can anyone help me, please?!

Bobinovich
08-Oct-07, 22:08
I'm guessing that you are connecting to the router wirelessly and, when you set the security up, it then disconnects you. This is because the router is protected while your laptop still thinks it's unsecured - therefore the two are unable to communicate.

The best way is to connect the laptop & router with a network cable, setup the routers' wireless security (taking note of the wireless key), then try connecting to the wireless network using said key, finally disconnecting the cable.

Let us know how you get on.

huh
08-Oct-07, 22:11
When you're doing this are you doing it over the wireless or through a cable? You have to set it up through a cable or it will cut you off.

I don't know how to do it exactly with that router but try to enable WPA-PSK security, setting up a secure password whilst doing so. Then when you try to connect through wireless you will have to put in this password.

EDIT: Waaaay too slow. :P

dancingtaz13
09-Oct-07, 19:02
We have tried to set up the WEP password on the router while being connected through a cable , but every time you click onto the drop down bar and select it the computer " Times Out" .
After this happens we then have to restart the router from scratch i.e type in username password etc and its getting a bit of a pain now

emb123
09-Oct-07, 19:36
I am using the Belkin Pre-N version just now. They are a pig to set up, but once you're there they're very fast. It's a standard critcism of Belkin wireless routers I'm afraid. Basically (very) flaky firmware.

I've found from my own experience that the best sequence for inputting info into this thing taking all the resets into account is:

router password
wireless security on wpa-psk (enter key) (it resets)
lan settings (if you're planning on changing anything)
internet settings (isp username, password etc)

Basically, the personal isp stuff is entered last of all.

Windows tends to become attached to an established network connection so you may need to inform windows to detach and reconnect and find out what its IP address is. If need be you may have to bring up the ms-dos command prompt and do "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" to get windows to recognise the fact that the router has reset itself and to find out what the IP, gateway and DNS settings are now.

Good luck! As Seven of Nine discovered, persistence is not futile. :)