PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Sutherland and Jane Forbes

trinkie
05-Oct-07, 08:02
Anyone researching this family ?
Their son Thomas married Helen Sinclair in 1859
Thomas was lost at sea in 1876.
their children :
Andrew, Margaret, Thomas, William Jane, Helen.

I am happy to exchange info.

trinkie
13-Oct-07, 14:37
Thomas Sutherland was lost at sea in 1876

A play based on this tragedy was written by Donald Campbell, it's called Widows of Clyth and I'm happy to say it has been reprinted and can be bought from www.fairplaypress.co.uk (http://www.fairplaypress.co.uk)
If anyone is researching this family or Sinclair, and MacKay who were also involved, then I am happy to share any information I've got.

Caithness has suffered many such fishing tragedies, if you have come across any such disasters in your Family Tree, please let us know about it, as much information has been collected.

trinkie

Tighsonas4
19-Oct-07, 18:00
HI TRINKIE
WAS QUITE SURPRISED TO FIND THIS ON HERE.
AS IT HAPPENS THE FIRST CHILD MENTIONED WAS MY GRANDFATHER.
IT WAS SOMETHING THAT WAS NEVER MENTIONED MUCH. BUT SINCE THEN
WE HAVE RESEARCHED THE FACTS DONALD SINCLAIR WAS MARRIED
TO MY GGFATHERS SISTER THOMASES BODY WAS FOUND IN THE NETS IN
THE BOAT DONALDS BODY WAS ALSO FOUND AND THEY WERE BURIED THE
SAME DAY. THERE HAS BEEN SOME CONFUSION ON THIS AS 20 YEARS
EARLIER 13 BOYS NONE OVER 18 WERE ALL LOST IN THE SAME AREA AND
MANY WERE CONNECTED AS FOR THE FIRST TRADGEY A FUND WAS SET
UP LOCALLY AND THE LAST AMOUNT THAT I COULD FIND WAS OVER £IOOO
HOPE THIS IS OF SOME INTEREST ANY QUERIES FEEL FREE TO ASK
BEST REGARDS TONY:roll:

trinkie
04-Nov-07, 13:29
Hallo Tony,
Thank you for your reply.

You appear to have collected quite a bit of info on this sad story.
Do you mean Andrew Sutherland was your grandfather ? If so then we are related ! Who did he marry? From memory I think a MacBeath woman - but I cant get into my Family Tree just now - it has been down for weeks !
Andrew's sister Margaret , was my gt grandmother.

You are right about the Disaster Fund raising £1,000 - quite something in 1876.

There have been too many such tragedies in that area- well, not surprising if you consider the stormy sea and the size of the boats.

Keep searching - Happy Hunting
trinkie

Tighsonas4
04-Nov-07, 21:37
hi trinkie
yes you are right in thinking that andrew was my grandfather. due
to surcamstances they brought me up. your right my granny was
williamina mc beath and can rember as a boy visiting his sisters
jeanmeg and helen take it your coming from the mcbeath side???
have full details of both tragdies extracts from local press at that time.
theres pages and pages and could never get them on here.but if you
know a way round this feel free to ask.hope this helps as you can
gather from this im no chicken myself
best regards tony

Tighsonas4
24-Nov-07, 18:18
an extract morthern ensign feb 1876
a very painful feeling was awakened here on thur afternoonon the sad tidings of a calamity at clyth when a boats crew of 6 all perished. this crew went fishing on wed evening along with other boats all the other boats returned safely. a search was instituted and the boat was found not far from a skerry near clyth. it seems the crew had been on the oars at the time. the body of thomas sutherland was entangled in the nets and later the body of donald sinclair was recovered it seemed by finger nails etc that he had put up a terrific struggle for life. when it was known that 2 of the brothers lived under one roof and were the fathers of 13 children the grief can only be imagined thomas had 7 children and his brother david had 6 most of them quite young robert sutherland left 2 children william sutherland left 5 the oldest 7years the youngest5weeks these 2 were brothers donald sinclair left 6 children oldest 12 youngest5 months this sad calamity left5 widows and 26 children. william mackay was un married but was to have married that week the funerals of sutherland and sinclair took place on the saturday and a huge cortege attended they were laid to rest in clyth cemetery
ps some 22years ago 13 boys from the same area perished and none were ever found regards tony nb thomas was my gt grandfather

Tighsonas4
24-Nov-07, 20:35
another disaster
13 lives lost 1855on tues morning13 lads none of whom were over 20 years of age set out in a new boat to visit a skerry nearby for bait. a little girl spotted them returning about 9 am but after that no trace of them was ever seen.. it seems the whole hapless crew had perished. there is not a fishermans house where the wail of sorrow is not heard one man had 3 sons lost and another 2 and from the close internet marriage in the district there is scarcely a family in the district not called on to mourn the list is asf followsgeorge sutherland aged 19 and john14 sons of william sutherland
john sutherland aged 14 father dead
william sutherland aged18 and alex aged13 sons of william sutherland
george sutherland aged 17 son of robert sutherland [crofts]
william aged18 john 16 and robertaged 14 sons of of john malcolm east clyth alexander sutherland aged 19 son of james sutherland east clyth
alexander sutherland aged 18 son of alexander sutherland east clyth
alexander baillie aged 14 son of william baillie east clyth
all the faamilies live within a radius of a quarter a mile
many of these were to grieve further as a result of the afore mentioned tradgey regards tony

robynaus
25-Nov-07, 00:41
Thomas Sutherland was lost at sea in 1876

A play based on this tragedy was written by Donald Campbell, it's called Widows of Clyth and I'm happy to say it has been reprinted and can be bought from www.fairplaypress.co.uk (http://www.fairplaypress.co.uk)
If anyone is researching this family or Sinclair, and MacKay who were also involved, then I am happy to share any information I've got.

Caithness has suffered many such fishing tragedies, if you have come across any such disasters in your Family Tree, please let us know about it, as much information has been collected.

trinkie

Two more on the disasters at sea thread Trinkie but I guess you will have seen them regards robyn

trinkie
25-Nov-07, 08:52
Thank you Tighsonas - that is so good to have on line albeit heart-breaking to read.
Both articles will be of great interest to those who are just beginning their Family Research so any such information is greatly appreciated.

Both you and I hail from this Family Line - I wonder how many more there are out there ?

Again I must mention the Book 'Widows of Clyth' by Donald Campbell..based on the 1876 disaster. It is well worth reading and you really get the feel of the district and people.
It is well worth reading - a story you will never forget !

Thank you again.

lynn prow
25-Nov-07, 10:38
I am related to families from both accidents. Our reli lost family in both incidents. If anyone wants copies of some of the death certificates email me privately happy to send

cheers,Lynn

Tricia
25-Nov-07, 23:44
Related directly to the Alex aged 18 son of Alex and Margaert More.

Here is what I have gathered from various data about the deceased:
Let me know if you can add, correct etc.

1855 disaster.
george sutherland aged 19 and john14 sons of william sutherland
Sutherland, George age 19 John aged 13 or 14?
Parents William S and Isabella Clyne

john sutherland aged 14 father dead
Sutherland, John age 14yrs
Parents Robert S and Helen Henderson (NB Father was dec before 1851) Helen in Grant St Wick 1851 a widow.

william sutherland aged18 and alex aged13 sons of william sutherland
Sutherland , William age18 dob 20.11.1836
Sutherland, Alexander age 13 or 14
Parents William S and Ann MacKay marr 18.2.1830
In Bruan 1851.

george sutherland aged 17 son of robert sutherland [crofts]
Sutherland, George age 17 dob14.10.1837
Surname Sutherland / Harper
His parents Robert Sutherland and Elizabeth Harper Married??

william aged18 john 16 and robert aged 14 sons of of john malcolm east clyth
Malcolm: William 2.5.1836 John 11.6.1838 Robert 25.6.1840
Parents John Malcom fisherman and Elizabeth Sutherland

alexander sutherland aged 19 son of james sutherland east clyth
Sutherland, Alexander aged 19
parents James S and Mary MacKay. ??

alexander sutherland aged 18 son of alexander sutherland east clyth
Sutherland, Alexander b1837 app
Parents Alexander S and Margaret More(Moir) marr 7.2.1834

alexander baillie aged 14 son of william baillie east clyth
Baillie, Alexander age 14yrs
Parents: William Baillie and Elizabeth Sutherland

Tricia

Tighsonas4
26-Nov-07, 18:31
hi one last post
thomas sutherlandaged45 left a widow and 7 children oldest 17 youngest 5 months his widow has lost a husband a brother and brotherin law
david suyherland aged 50 left a widow and 6 children oldest 12 youngest 7
his widow has lost her husband 2 brothers and a brotherinlaw these 2 were brothers
robert sutherland aged 26 left a widow and 2 children oldest 2 years youngest 14 months
william sutherland aged 30 left a widow and 5 children oldest 7 years youngest 5 weeks old his widow has lost her husband and a brother in law
these 2 were brothers their father has lost 2 sons a brother in law and a nrphew
donald sinclair aged 43 left a widow and 6 children the oldest12 and the youngest5 months he has also left a father and mother each about 80
and an aunt all dependent on him his widow has lost her husband and
2 brother in laws
william mackay aged 25 was un married but was to have married that week
sutherland and sinclair were buried same day. scene must have been devasting thomas widow had to be forcibly removed from coffin
donald sinclair has a headstone on his grave in clyth cemetery
regards to all tony

Tighsonas4
26-Nov-07, 19:02
hi one last post
thomas sutherlandaged45 left a widow and 7 children oldest 17 youngest 5 months his widow has lost a husband a brother and brotherin law
david suyherland aged 50 left a widow and 6 children oldest 12 youngest 7
his widow has lost her husband 2 brothers and a brotherinlaw these 2 were brothers
robert sutherland aged 26 left a widow and 2 children oldest 2 years youngest 14 months
william sutherland aged 30 left a widow and 5 children oldest 7 years youngest 5 weeks old his widow has lost her husband and a brother in law
these 2 were brothers their father has lost 2 sons a brother in law and a nrphew
donald sinclair aged 43 left a widow and 6 children the oldest12 and the youngest5 months he has also left a father and mother each about 80
and an aunt all dependent on him his widow has lost her husband and
2 brother in laws
william mackay aged 25 was un married but was to have married that week
sutherland and sinclair were buried same day. scene must have been devasting thomas widow had to be forcibly removed from coffin
donald sinclair has a headstone on his grave in clyth cemetery
regards to all tony
ps lasted named should read baillie