PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Information: Sergeant Donald McKay from Thurso circa 1776

Stephen
03-Oct-07, 23:47
Sergeant Donald McKay was originally of Thurso, Caithness, Scotland and a member of the 76th Regiment of Macdonald Highlanders. He was Donald McKay's (Famous Clipper Shipbuilder) grandfather. Sergeant Donald McKay is my great great great great grandfather. At the end of the American War for Independence Sergeant Donald McKay was granted 500 acres of land along the the east side of the Jordan River in Shelburne, Nova Scotia. He purchased passage for several of his siblings living in Thurso. David McKay a younger brother took advantage of the opportunity. He married into the McPhearson family living on the next farm over from McKay. Hessian soldier Christian Schweinsberger also recieved land and owned property also adjacent to the McKay farm. These three gentlemen along with another Anglo-Norman family (Clifford once the Fitzpons) form the core of my family here in America. My grandfather Anthony Kohler immigrated from Glasgow.

Any information on the McKay family in Thurso would be much appreciated.

/R