PDA

View Full Version : A mountain bike trek into darkest Caithness.

Rheghead
13-Aug-05, 21:22
One drizzley July morning, a friend of mine and I set off on a trip where probably very few Caithnessians have dared to tread, a coast to coast route from Reay to Dunbeath direct over the flow country. Here is our story...

We set off from Sandside harbour, it was over cast but dry. But by the time we got to Reay it was chucking it down! Well we made the decision to go so be it. :)

We headed for the Limekiln route, a forestry track in good cycling order. The only bad part of this was carrying our bikes over the deer gate. There is a combination padlock on it which is a pity. Once over the gate the cycling was good for 3km to a hut at Gleann Dubh. Another padlock and gate existed there but the track deteriated badly to make cycling impossible, all pushing from here. The heather had overgrown due to a lack of footpassengers. This track eventually ran out to just bog and heather.

Our feet soon got wet in the bog and blisters soon arrived, one step after step was a painful struggle but such was my determination to complete the journey we carried on. Black fly was our enemy now, they were in swarms!

We carried on south and headed eastwards along the south end of the forest to Loch Scye. A real slog this and along the west side of the loch to the fishing hut under the shadow of Bienn nam Bad Beag. We took the cyclable track eastwards and took the marked but non existent track southwards towards Loch Caluim. This track was a nightmare. We were knee deep in bog in places and the wind and drizzle was easing off so our fears turned from the terrain and black fly to my worst Highland fear...midges!

The route along the eastside of Loch Caluim was not too bad for pushing the bike as there was a hint of a track. At the southern end there were some very homey fishing and hunting huts. I thought how cosy it would be to stay there over night. From here we crossed Cnocglas water over the bridge and followed the track along Cnocloisgre water looking for a bridge. This bridge had rotted through, the sleepers had gone bar the railway lines that gave the support. My thoughts were on why bring such heavy girders up here but my now mutinying buddy informed me it was probably built by WW2 idle labour. He crossed the girder doing a balancing act with his bike but I am to much of a fearty so I just waded through the river, I was wet through anyway... The next stretch of track was surprisingly ridable fpr half a mile, it was well drained which makes a big difference but it just petered out to nothingness again and another hard slog southwards to the now sawn forest. A distantly spotted ladder over a deer fence indicated a welcome sight for weary travellers and our crossing point to the railway line. Once over the line the track was completely rideable again on good tracks. We took our first break at some picnic benches on the banks of Loch Caise. The track to Altnabreac station was a dream as was the route past the affluence of Lochdhu. Our route was Dalnawillan lodge, through the Glutt estate through some of the most breathtaking scenery I have every seen. Then onto Braemore where a brand new red telephone box has just been put up only days previously. Who said BT are only taking them down?
Finally the good lane to Dunbeath where we put up our tents at Inver caravan and camping site. The campsite is very much recommended and is under expansion and improvement at the moment. £3.75 per night, you can't be bit at that. The Inver arms is now under new management and serves very good meals with a cracking view over the Dunbeath Harbour. Back to the campsite with a wee nip of the hard stuff and after a few well deserved beers, night night!

Margaret M.
14-Aug-05, 00:38
Well done but that's not exactly my idea of a good time.

Bill Fernie
14-Aug-05, 07:47
An interestng route and I agree that some places you mention are some of the best in the county and few people ever get to them. I hope the sun is shining next iem round.
On the tlephone box at Braemore. It was removed by BT but after lobbying by many people including the local MP it was put back. I had not been to see it but it makes sense if they were putting one back that it shoudl be a new one. It was listed for removal as I understand in the previous year before the review it had taken only £6 or so. But it is in a bad signal area I beleive ofr certain mobile phones and perhaps also for police and ambulance signals. It is situated 6 miles from the next phone at dunebeath. the lobbying centred round the fact that walkers might be trying to get help in emergency situations and have a very long way to a phone if that one was removed. they apparently removed it and then relented. In that area there are also very few people with perhaps only two with phones and they might be out.

It was possible for while to drive round parts of that area along forestry roads but I understand they have taken to locking the gates to prevent traffic accessing and causing damage to the tracks.

Caithness Riders Access Group have been with the cooperations of land owners getting a number of tracks opened up and brought back into use. These might be of interest to cyclists and you can check on their web site http://www.caithnessridersaccessgroup.co.uk/
There they have a few tracks listed with Pdf files for information about the route and maps etc

It would be interestng to hear from cyclists if these tracks work well for them as well as horses.

halkirk1
14-Aug-05, 18:21
Rheghead,

Why did you post this?

I don't think I have every known anyone who is so full of their own self importance as you.

Was it just to show people that you can rhyme off a few Place names? Who cares where you went on your bike. Is this really the point of the forums?

'Here is our story'.........So what?

You really, really need to get a life.

1048 posts since you joined the forum?

That's an average of 3.71 posts EVERY DAY!

Are you employed by Caithness.org as a professional forum poster? You seem to be THE authority on everything that's ever put on the forum.

And what's with your polls? Do you really need to ask everyones opinion for everything?

Let it go mate, just let it go.

Rheghead
14-Aug-05, 19:20
Halkirk1

Please tell me about your life, I am really interested to know all about you. Do you have an opinion on anything? If so then let's hear it a bit more.

Full of my own importance? Someone has to be...

I gave a recommendation for camping facilities in Caithness and hopefully someone else may be inspired to discover the beauty of their own county for themselves. What is more nobler than that?

Is this not a Caithness website?

BTW see my signature

halkirk1
14-Aug-05, 20:00
Rheghead,

Of course you were, you were posting this for everyone else. The last 4 lines of your post mention camping.

No, I'm not telling you anything about my life.

I have a tendency not to go on about myself unless I'm asked a question and I don't own a soapbox.

Here's something to keep in mind. If you are posting a topic/subject have a point! It makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

And yes, I did see you signature.

Are we supposed to be impressed with these?

Rheghead
14-Aug-05, 20:16
For your information, I did this route as a preliminary assessment for an established Coast to Coast Route through Caithness for Caithness Horizons. I wouldn't have done this otherwise. I had to take notes on the viability of putting a proper track where necessary. My companion is an expert in such matters as he is a member of the Rough Stuff Fellowship. All we need now is the funding and cooperation from the Forrestry commission and other landowners.

I hope this is the point that you were seeking and the one I omitted thinking it was of no interest to anyone.

I can see how you think I have no life, I would think the same if I was you but if you have lived what I have lived (not making the assumption that you haven't btw) then you will understand why I have an opinion on a a lot of things and not afraid to declare it.

golach
14-Aug-05, 20:33
Rheghead, you keep posting, I found this posting interesting, even tho I have not been on a bike for many years, more power to your pedals

Margaret M.
14-Aug-05, 21:43
Like Golach, I found Rheghead's account of his adventure to be quite interesting. Please post about your adventures, Halkirk, I'd love to read them too. However, I'm hoping for something a little more exciting than "On Sunday I verified the number of posts Rheghead has authored on Caithness.org. I then calculated the total number of posts by the number of days he has been a member and came up with a daily average. I then told him to get a life".

Dr Evil
14-Aug-05, 21:52
:o) What an intresting journey, especially seeing as you took a bike and you didn't walk. [mad] Halkirk1 I think we know who needs to get the ''life'' how long did it take you to workout how many posts were on every day??? We all can't wait to hear of your adventures. For anyone not from Caithness considering visiting a post like this that gives an idea of what we have to offer would look very good. Halkirk1 did someone force you to read the post as if you didn't like it then you should have just stopped..... So please could you leave the people that have something to say alone and go find something creative to do. I can't wait to hear more stories like these.
Dr Evil [evil]

DrSzin
15-Aug-05, 00:08
Hey Rheggers!

Loved the cycle saga. Do you have any more?

You must be doing something right if you have Evil & Szin on your side :D

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Aug-05, 00:21
I'd ask you, Halkrik1, what a messageboard is actually about, but... well... ach, forget it... Anyway, your "take-out" on Rheghead reminded me of Steve Martin's character in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles when he chastises John Candy's character for annoying him so much. Particularly the "if-you're-going-to-have-a-story-at-least-make-sure-it-has-a-point" part. Who, honestly, writes your material?

Whitewater
15-Aug-05, 20:23
Hi Rheghead,
I read your post with interest, a few years ago prior to retirement I used to do a lot of walking myself and organise a fair bit for a youth organisation where I used to be a leader, never used the mountain bike though, I use a road bike now and get around a fair bit and get my exercise that way, (the ankles can't take so many 'walking' miles now). As you say the scenery in some areas is spectacular and it's a shame that not many people are able to see much or any of it.
Your tale reminded me of a venture a few years ago by "Ralph", he was doing a lot of walking and cycling in the flow country with a few friends, the intention being the establishment of a 'Caithness Way'. Whatever happened to this ?? I don't know if a route was ever set up/established or not. It would perhaps be to your advantage to have a talk with him, he lives in your area and you probably know him already, if not send me an email and I will give you his name.

I know you will not be paying too much attention to Halkirk1, he/she seems incapable of any enjoyment of life or perhaps a trifle envious. [mad]

Good luck with you venture.

squidge
15-Aug-05, 23:28
I liked it too rheghead!!!

Showed it my lad and he went hmmm and then was chatting about it with a pal of his - maybe they will follow in your bike tracks

more would be good too

lelebo
16-Aug-05, 11:20
I liked the post too Rheghead - what's wrong with giving people new ideas for things to do in Caithness - thanks for posting :D

dragonfly
16-Aug-05, 15:43
I enjoyed it too - here are some more for you to try and report back to us about!

http://caithnesscc.co.uk/MTB/Route%20Guides/route_guides.htm