PDA

View Full Version : Too many American kids programmes

mccaugm
03-Oct-07, 16:04
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20071003/tuk-d-oh-too-many-us-cartoons-on-british-45dbed5_2.html

It has been mooted that there are too many American kids programmes on the various kids channels. I totally agree, my kids try to watch them all the time. I have banned them in my house as the quality of them is very poor. I heard Floella Benjamin say on T.V. this morning that kids are growing up with American accents as they hear them so often. I have nothing against Americans but I agree with Floella.

George Brims
03-Oct-07, 20:24
Let them watch "Sesame Street" - the rest are rubbish.

anneoctober
03-Oct-07, 20:28
Let them watch "Sesame Street" - the rest are rubbish.
what were your favourite kiddies programmes George back in the 50's/60's?

squidge
03-Oct-07, 20:34
I wonder how many of those who are complaining allow their children to watch endless amounts of rubbish through the digibox. I chosenot to have sky TV because of the endless amounts of tv my kids were watching - hours of the Simpsons each night and when my youngest finally called a lift and elevator and a nappy a diaper i decided enough was enough and cancelled my subscription. We seem to forget that we have the power to switch OFF the tv and should monitor the stuff our kids watch

Riffman
03-Oct-07, 20:41
I don't own a TV, or have kids.

But I agree in principle, the problem is that we don't make decent (or even half decent) kids TV programs in this country....

brandy
03-Oct-07, 20:54
saying that im american.. and my kids fav. shows are thomas and lazy town, and neither of them are american.
but they love camberlene green and others like it.

northener
03-Oct-07, 21:04
Worth bearing in mind that up until recently, ALL the mainstream cartoons (60's and 70's and 80's) were all American. And I love 'em all! At least on the animation front there appears to be more UK/European input these days.

What narks me is all the 'kids' programmes that choose to portray kids/teens as brainless conceited mini-adults living in a squeaky clean middle-class American world. Eugh.

Apart from Malcolm in the Middle, - that's pure class.

Lolabelle
03-Oct-07, 21:20
I am guilty of letting the visiting kids, (as I can't have children) watch lots of TV, but Simpsons is banned in my house! So it's disney channel or nickelodeon or the animal doco's when they come. So maybe I'm only half bad :confused

George Brims
03-Oct-07, 21:25
what were your favourite kiddies programmes George back in the 50's/60's?
We didn't have a telly (or a phone or a fridge!) in the 50s. In the 60s I loved Dr Who. I also liked Magic Roundabout. I can't remember any others, probably due to the 70s.

Margaret M.
03-Oct-07, 21:47
I can't remember any others, probably due to the 70s.

LOL, really. I don't suppose Andy Pandy and Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men are still around, are they?

footie chick
03-Oct-07, 22:28
LOL, really. I don't suppose Andy Pandy and Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men are still around, are they?

they are both on cbeebies regularly :).
If you dont want them to watch something turn it off!

anneoctober
03-Oct-07, 22:39
I'm not ashamed to stand up and be counted.......... I STILL love Yogi bear & Boo Boo............. :D gimme the pick a nick basket Boo Boo ![lol]

nikki
04-Oct-07, 09:17
Tom and Jerry was my fave when I was younger (and still is..........). I think it's american, is it?

Thumper
04-Oct-07, 09:44
It's not the amount of American programme's on tv thats at fault it's the amount of programme's that the child is allowed to watch.Commonsense would dictate that if we allow our kids to watch a lot of tv it will affect them so it's like most things...everything in moderation!BTW I love T&J too it's classic!Topcat was also a fav of mine and Yogi too x

golach
04-Oct-07, 09:51
Tom and Jerry was my fave when I was younger (and still is..........). I think it's american, is it?
T & J are my favourites also, I remember in the '70's while working in a Bar in Leith where dockers and stevedores used to drink, and on certain nights Tom & Jerry would come on for about 20 mins, the Owner used to stand back and shake his head, as there was complete silence in the bar and not a drink was ordered until Tom & Jerry finished, this always happened, and these were grown men [lol]

Thumper
04-Oct-07, 10:02
T & J are my favourites also, I remember in the '70's while working in a Bar in Leith where dockers and stevedores used to drink, and on certain nights Tom & Jerry would come on for about 20 mins, the Owner used to stand back and shake his head, as there was complete silence in the bar and not a drink was ordered until Tom & Jerry finished, this always happened, and these were grown men [lol]
Great story Golach!it just goes to show we are all kids at heart :D x

northener
04-Oct-07, 12:09

Same used to happen in the Royal Navy. When Rainbow was on, the working day came to a standstill. Used to happen on a Saturday morning when Tiswas was on as well. Mind you, I think that had more to do with Sally James in leather boots and a t-shirt....oh yes, oh yes...

My oppo reliably informs me that his comrades in a certain Highland regiment were avid fans of the Teletubbies.

Why should Britain tremble?

nanoo
04-Oct-07, 13:06
I used to love the Flintstones and Yogi bear as well. My other half loved Tom and jerry, in fact he still watches it when it's on, even yet.:lol:

brandy
04-Oct-07, 13:37
dont forget scooby doo

Raonaid
04-Oct-07, 14:12
I don't mind American kids programmes, so long as they don't perpetuate the annoying 'street-wise' bad attitude. They should show kids a more virtuous attitude to follow like in Scooby doo. And another thing, all that shouting, is there any need? Really!

nanoo
04-Oct-07, 15:16
Okay brandy, I did forget about Scooby Doo and it was good as well, however, i've just remembered the Munsters, not forgetting the Adams Family or Captain Scarlet. Mind you, i don't feel very Americanised at all considering all the things i used to watch, Dynasty, Dallas, Peyton Place, Two and a Half Men, Becker and Cheers to name but a few. These days it's Neighbours, Home and Away, All Saints and the unforgetable Prisoner Cell Block H in its' time. Did that Australianise me. Strike me speechless, throw another steak on the barbie shiela.:lol:[lol]

Jeemag_USA
05-Oct-07, 00:49
So thats where all the USA kids programs went, all the ones over here in the states are Japanese [lol]

Lolabelle
05-Oct-07, 09:22
throw another steak on the barbie shiela.:lol:[lol]

OI, that should be "throw another Prawn on the barbie!"

nanoo
05-Oct-07, 12:36
Sorry about that lolabelle, could we make it a king prawn? theres more meat on that. Strewth girli. :lol:[lol] (i guess i listen to Alf and to Irene a lot eh!) titter titter.

Lolabelle
05-Oct-07, 13:06
Sorry about that lolabelle, could we make it a king prawn? theres more meat on that. Strewth girli. [lol] (i guess i listen to Alf and to Irene a lot eh!) titter titter.

That's so sad nanoo, surely there is better telly shows available than Home & Away. Even Neighbours??? Maybe.
PS, King Prawns it is, pop over anytime, I'll even supply the BBQ. :Razz
PPS, We had Orange Roughy Fillets on the BBQ tonight for dinner.

nanoo
05-Oct-07, 15:54
Thanks for the invatation lolabelle, oh! and i do watch Neighbours as well, also All Saints. i kinda like Aussie soaps, supporting my brother who has lived there for the last 48yrs or so. :lol:[lol]

anneoctober
05-Oct-07, 18:24
So thats where all the USA kids programs went, all the ones over here in the states are Japanese [lol]
American is fine and has n't left me entirely without a brain cell ( I hear you sniggering Johno!) Japanese now THAT is scary , have you seen what they call entertainment ? :eek: