PDA

View Full Version : Coast - Sunday 9 pm

SandTiger
13-Aug-05, 19:57
Just a reminder...

8/13 - Outer Hebrides to Orkney Islands

Nicholas Crane and his merry band have reached the Highlands in the latest instalment of this successful series, where the emphasis changes from geography and nature to history and engineering. They visit the Dounreay nuclear reactor in Caithness, which was hailed as the solution to energy supply when it was opened in 1959. Crane takes part in a joint Royal Navy/RAF exercise at Cape Wrath (the largest bombing range in Europe).

Historian Neil Oliver meets some of the descendants of the people affected by the Highland Clearances, one of the darkest and most notorious periods in Scottish history. Finally, Oliver joins in a memorial service at Scapa Flow in Orkney to commemorate the worst loss of British naval life in domestic waters. In 1939 HMS Royal Oak was hit by torpedoes from a German U-boat and sank, resulting in the loss of 833 lives. Two survivors who were "boy seamen" at the time relive that terrible night.

BBCi: short films, information on 39 coastal walks around Britain, plus how to sign up for free local guided walks are available via the red button.

neepnipper
13-Aug-05, 21:52
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe this is actually on Sunday 14th at 9pm on BBC 2.

SandTiger
13-Aug-05, 22:00
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe this is actually on Sunday 14th at 9pm on BBC 2.

Darn Radio Times [lol]

oooops!

Rheghead
14-Aug-05, 20:57
This is a great series, matey boy's other series was good an'all, The Map Man

kas
14-Aug-05, 22:20
I really enjoyed it, an hour wasnt nearly enough to cover the area. I wish I had watched the whole series from the start.

You realise how strong peoples accents are when they are on TV. I find Caithness accents hilarious on TV, we sound like right hill-billies. [lol]

captain chaos
14-Aug-05, 22:22
This is a great series, matey boy's other series was good an'all, The Map Man

Just how bad could it make the North look? Why they interviewed the neds at tongue and the two neds at sandside I don’t know.

Close the north for the tourists as its full of neds, totally contaminated and is difficult to get to.

I have never growled so much at the TV in my life. [mad] [mad] [mad]

Rheghead
14-Aug-05, 22:26
I'm with captain chaos with a lot of tonight's show. The Neds at Tongue were not needed. I bow to the fact that Minter was allowed his say but he and herbie got far too much air time. What about Thurso? The slate exports at Castletown? The evacuation of Stroma?Not a dickie bird about them, lots of other things as well could have been mentioned.

kas
14-Aug-05, 22:51
There was only an hour and okay they shouldnt have put the young neds from Toungue in to the program. But I must admit I thought it was very funny and they probably arent half as bad as some of the younsters in our own 2 towns, and certainly nothing like your city neds.

Every community round the coast probably has the same complaint after the show, that this wasnt shown and that wasnt shown.
But I did think Shetland would of featured in it somewhere, as it is the most northern and a remote part of the Brittish Isles.

Rheghead
14-Aug-05, 23:13
OK, Last week it was the turn of Cumbria and Lancashire, my former stomping ground. There were no scouse Neds running down their patch. The Show mentioned Sellafield but no way did they have interviews with activists. The show was balanced and informative. Tonights show showed the heroic efforts of Lewis' coast guard and the heros of Scapa flow, but when it came to mainland north scotland is was all negative. He even said 'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder I guess' in a tone of voice which is used by a young man when he finally realises he can't go out with the cheerleaders...

Awful really.

Its redeeming feature was yet again the stunning aerial photography.

rainbow
14-Aug-05, 23:14
The neds were from Strathy I think. I really enjoyed the programme and it was a good history lesson. I learnt alot, but to me as it was 'local' it was all the more enjoyable.

garycs
14-Aug-05, 23:22
The whole series has been a bit patchy in what was covered, for instance with the exception of the Clyde and Faslane there was no mention of anywhere between Carlisle and Oban.

For tonight's episode I couldn't see the point of including the Three Stooges, there was no relevance to the overall subject of the series. Although any suspicious grass/heather fires will now be very easy for the police to attribute :D

DrSzin
14-Aug-05, 23:52
What was wrong with the neds? They were a lot brighter than Messrs Minter & Lyall. Similarly for the surfer in Thurso. He's a real cool gnarly dude.

The Dounreay bit was par for the course: rather shallow & sometimes misleading -- at best. What else would you expect? Yeah, ok. They coulda wheeled out yon ubiquitous whingeing wifie. What's her name? Mata Hari? No, no, not her. The other one. I mean yon Lorraine Mann wifie.

Loved the surfers though. Cool beach. :D

Does anyone else think yon Weegie-sounding historian chappie sounds like Billy Connolly?

Kenn
15-Aug-05, 01:17
I was surprised at what they did not include and pleasantly surprised by some of what they did.Me and hubby have sat through this series of programmes knudging each other "Bin there, seen that, driven that road etc".It's a glimpse of the beauty, a taste of the history and a reminder that we should all take swimming lessons [lol] I'm enjoying it but wish there could have been much more depth and time devoted to each area

Rheghead
15-Aug-05, 13:05
Does anyone else think yon Weegie-sounding historian chappie sounds like Billy Connolly?

Don't all weegies sound like Billy Connolly? :D

Except my missus, she is from Bearsden don't you know? :roll:

scotsboy
15-Aug-05, 13:54
Never saw the program, but from reading press reports relating to Herbie I really have to laugh - he really does not seem to realise that he was part of the problem and is not part of the solution.

Whitewater
15-Aug-05, 20:42
Well said Scotsboy, if he felt so strongly about the particles he should have started his shouting at the time not 30-40 yrs later, but as usual the old 'Official Secrets Act' will get the blame.

concerned resident
15-Aug-05, 21:02
I watched the programme, and it did Caithness no favours, Caithness has many beautiful places, and what do they mention Dounreay, and all its Hot spots, some surfing,
And then round to Dunnet Beach, where there was also a hot spot found, then Dunnet head and off to Orkney. I hope next Sundays programme will be more positive, and a few tourists may be attracted to the County. I thought it showed Caithness in a very negative view. I am not sure I watched the same programme as some of the other Forum members.

stekar
15-Aug-05, 21:27
I have watched the series from the beginning, and really enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to this episode, but do feel that they didn't devote enough time to Caithness and all it has to offer.

As for the three muppets, which unforunatley you get almost everywhere, hopefully when they 'grow up' they will leave the far north :confused :roll:

jacktar
15-Aug-05, 22:21
Stekar wrote!
As for the three muppets, which unforunatley you get almost everywhere, hopefully when they 'grow up' they will leave the far north

Watched the programme,admit it could have shown a bit more of the north but there would never be enough time to show it all, as for "stekar" hoping the 3 muppets would leave the north, there's too many young people leaving the small rural communities already and to many older people moving up from the south and making them feel unwelcome in their own areas. It would make more sense to find ways of keeping the younger people in those communities and try to find ways to pass their time and keep their interest before these communities die off.

DrSzin
15-Aug-05, 22:37
Don't all weegies sound like Billy Connolly? :D

Well, maybe, but this guy seems to have borrowed heavily from Billy Connolly's style of presentation.

Except my missus, she is from Bearsden don't you know? :roll:
(Attempts appropriate accent) Bearsden? Isn't that in the suburbs? I prefer Kelvinsiiiiide.You get a better class of snob in Kelvinsiiiide don't you know?

Joking apart, a friend moved to Kelvinside last September and I spent half the summer trying to do the accent in order to wind-up the poor young chappie.

My missus (aka Mrs G) is a Weegie too, but she escaped at the age of 18, and she thinks she's posh now. :roll:

Ok, to serious issues...

Why is anyone concerned about the 3 muppets leaving the north? I would have thought most people would be glad to see the back of Messrs Minter, Lyall and yon other chiel whose name I dinna mind.

Heck, I even agree with (almost) all of what concerned resident says. Now, there's a first...

DrSzin
20-Aug-05, 13:07
Did anyone see last night's Coast? It was called (something like) "Wick to Berwick". I didn't get home until about 9.20, so I missed the first half of the programme. What did they say and/or show about Wick?

Jalon
20-Aug-05, 13:58
Very disappointing. :(
There was nothing about Wick at all, but a little bit about Whaligoe and the herring fishing there.
The programme then moved swiftly on to Easter Ross with salmon fishing and dolphins.
Still interesting, but I don't think I'm biased when I say they could have based a lot more of the programme on Wick's history.

MadPict
22-Aug-05, 01:03
I have watched this series from the first programme and frankly I have been disappointed with the programmes 'north of the border'. What better way to put tourists off even bothering coming north? OK so every town has its layabouts but to show those fine examples of Highland youth getting a kick out of sending tourists the wrong way?....

Disappointed they didn't feature the on and only George pulling a pie from the pocket of his coat, while sending tourists the wrong way in Wick....

I have noticed that far more emphasis was put on the geological make up of the coast between Dover and Penzance than seems to have been placed on the coastline of the north. Also they seemed to just touch on the beauty of the north whereas it was the mainstay of the first programmes.

Definate south bias in my opinion.

Marks out of 10?...

stekar
22-Aug-05, 06:07
Yes, last night's episode was disappointing and I believe rushed.

There is definately bias towards to the south. What about the weather forecasts? They always concentrate on the south and the far north barely gets a mention :confused

Anyone see that programme a few weeks ago, can't remember what it was called, but it was about 10 best natural wonders of the uk? Fingals cave was in the top ten, but most of the others were down south and non of them were a patch on what's to be found in Scotland.

Margaret M.
22-Aug-05, 13:25
It's a pity that people down south don't appreciate the beauty of the north of Scotland -- it is their country too. Countless times, when asked where I am heading and I say Caithness, I am asked why, why are you going up there? None worse for this than the people in Inverness -- I have heard a number of taxi drivers, etc., bad mouth the north. Very few people that I talk to who have taken a trip to Scotland ventured farther north than Inverness, unless they took a bus tour. I let them know what they have missed. When asked which part of Scotland I am from and I say the most northernly part of the mainland, they usually say, "Oh, Inverness"?

Joey
22-Aug-05, 22:30
I never saw the programme, but several of my friends said they were appalled and embarrased about the content of the content of the north coast.

stekar
22-Aug-05, 23:01
When we tell people that we are moving to Caithness they usually say either

Where?

or

Why?

And if we say the far north they usually say Inverness and are amazed when we tell them it's another 100+ miles further.

DrSzin
23-Aug-05, 10:53
I eventually realised what I found mildly irritating about "Coast" on Friday night. It had the feel of a children's programme: it was like watching a Blue Peter special or an extended Newsround. A bunch of somebodies from darn sarf go up norf and say "Hey, there's stuff up here that we didn't know about. Look at this big railway bridge. Innit great? And what about this Polish chap that we've never heard of who invented the mine detector? And these guys who get out more oil than they used to. And this weird woman who eats seaweed. Wow children, isn't this great?"

Unrefined barfology...

I think MadPict's 5 out of 10 was a tad on the generous side.

Maybe I should have a rant about last Thursday's E=mc^2 too. I wasn't convinced that David Bodanis (the author of the book E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation) really understood the first thing about special relativity. He was proficient at mouthing the words he had learned, but if he had told us that "mass increases with velocity" one more time I think I would have been physically sick.

One of these days I am going to write an article explaining why is is a very bad idea to teach people that mass increases with velocity. Maybe I'll try it out on here first :D

Rheghead
23-Aug-05, 16:58
One of these days I am going to write an article explaining why is is a very bad idea to teach people that mass increases with velocity. Maybe I'll try it out on here first :D

Talking about relativities, my sister has a brother who breaks this fundamental rule. As his mass increases, his velocity decreases. Go figure that one out?

scotsboy
23-Aug-05, 17:26
my sister has a brother

Is that not you then :lol:

gleeber
23-Aug-05, 22:42
I eventually realised what I found mildly irritating about "Coast" on Friday night. It had the feel of a children's programme: it was like watching a Blue Peter special or an extended Newsround. A bunch of somebodies from darn sarf go up norf and say "Hey, there's stuff up here that we didn't know about. Look at this big railway bridge. Innit great? And what about this Polish chap that we've never heard of who invented the mine detector? And these guys who get out more oil than they used to. And this weird woman who eats seaweed. Wow children, isn't this great?"

Unrefined barfology...

I think MadPict's 5 out of 10 was a tad on the generous side.

Maybe I should have a rant about last Thursday's E=mc^2 too. I wasn't convinced that David Bodanis (the author of the book E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation) really understood the first thing about special relativity. He was proficient at mouthing the words he had learned, but if he had told us that "mass increases with velocity" one more time I think I would have been physically sick.

You talk about mass and velocity like I talk aboot fish and chips. :eek:
I reckon youv been gurnin all day. Is it an age thing? :(
I havnt got a clue whether mass increases with velocity or not but I wid be interested in what you have to say about it.

DrSzin
30-Aug-05, 19:46

You talk about mass and velocity like I talk aboot fish and chips. :eek:
I reckon youv been gurnin all day. Is it an age thing? :(
I havnt got a clue whether mass increases with velocity or not but I wid be interested in what you have to say about it.
Well Gleeber, I've been thinking about how to explain energy and momentum (and perhaps even acceleration) in special relativity without introducing the artificial concept of velocity-dependent mass, and without using anything beyond Standard Grade physics or mathematics -- so no calculus. I think I know how to do it, but I have to polish the details. There's some stuff on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mass) and a longer account on the Physics FAQ (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html) on John Baez's website. To some extent, the latter uses that age-old method of "proof by name-dropping", but the Addendum is more complete. However the equations are whipped out of thin air and they are written in such a general form that it's hard to follow the arguments in the last paragraph.

IMHO the main problem with popular articles such as these is that they write down well-known mathematical expressions like E = gamma m c^2 and then try to explain what they mean. It seems to me that it would be better to explain where these things come from in the first place. The quantity gamma comes from time dilation: it has nothing to do with mass a priori.

I've just checked the syllabus of Advanced Higher Physics and it still follows the doctrine of velocity-dependent mass. A whole nation of schoolkids has been tainted with this unnecessary concept. Kinda sad really. S'pose I should try to do something about it -- again. :roll:

Finally, just to keep Rheggers happy: yes, John Baez is a relative of the female singer with a similar name -- they are cousins. :cool:

Oh, and btw, you can't measure the length of a coastline. (http://polymer.bu.edu/java/java/coastline/coastline.html) It's a fractal, it doesn't have a length. ;)

landmarker
30-Aug-05, 22:30
[quote=gleeber][quote="DrSzin

Oh, and btw, you can't measure the length of a coastline. (http://polymer.bu.edu/java/java/coastline/coastline.html) It's a fractal, it doesn't have a length. ;)

Thats the best thing I have learnt all day.

As a newcomer to the board I've been reading your thoughts on the 'coast' programme.
Very interesting. I've really enjyed it, though some of the presenters are a bit irritating. The 'weegie' historian. (presume thats a Glasgow bloke) At first I thought he was about to slit someones throat, so sinister did he look. He grew on me though. I like his style, and his accent.

I can't say the same for Alice, the comely lass in the cute wooly hat. Her accent got on me er...wick (apologies)
The way many of her pieces to camera were filmed -the lens below her head, -she looking down to the viewer was another annoying aspect.Talking down to us. :roll:

Anyway there was a southern bias - dont you all expect that by now -just look at the new BBC weather map -though in fairness they have corrected it a bit lately.

The 'neds' were nowt compared to some of tearaways in inner English cities. They came across as a pair of numpties, and any tourist daft enough to get sent the wrong way should invest in a map. I couldn't see any of 'em kicking in my fence or mugging me at knife point (neither have happened here - yet)

As for people who think Scotland 'ends' at Inverness, what do they know eh? all worth worrying about. You live in the furthest flung corner of the best bit of the United Kingdom.

Alan
p.s. were the neds in Tongue ?