PDA

View Full Version : Looking for best Photographic locations on orkney

Martin England
30-Sep-07, 09:14
Hi all
We are off to Orkney next weekend for the week :). This will be our first time on Orkney and was wondering if anyone here could give any recommendations on good photographic locations.

Many thanks Martin

Dog-eared
01-Oct-07, 00:43
Rackwick Bay on Hoy.

lynne duncan
01-Oct-07, 22:41
italian chapel

aburns
03-Oct-07, 16:09
The east mainland on a good day is beautiful... Out deerness tankerness direction, there is a wee beech on the right hand side once you have passed through toab heading to deerness it is a luvly place - my advice is to wrap up wellx

Martin England
04-Oct-07, 15:57
Hi

Many thanks to you, i will visit them all. We are looking forward to going only 2 days left :) . Lets just hope the weather behaves itself.

Many thanks again
Martin

Seabird
05-Oct-07, 18:43
A lot depends on what you are looking for.
Seals can be found close to the shore to the West of Stromness (drive through the golf course)
Then Travel North from Stromness and stop at Yesnaby, it' an old war time gun location looking out onto the raw Alantic.
Lots of ruggud coastline and stacks you can get lots of white water pics.
Then continue North to Birsay where there is a causeway at low water lots of photo opportunities.
And there are no end of tourist sites.
One of the best i found if a little off the beaten track is the Tomb of the Eagles South Ronaldsay.(lots of seals can be seen there also)
Deerness is great if you dont mind a walk, there is a Stack/Island off the coast there, it's an interesting climb to the top (cable hand rail in place to help)
Have seen Minkes and Porpoise off Deerness in October.
There is also a geo or in this case a callapsed cave with a waterfall falling into it, wide angel lens a must to get the full drop of the fall.
On the way to Deerness there is a point where the land narrows between a Sea Loch and the sea where some toilets are located, behind the toilets is a fantastic Bay.
Churchill Barriers are a must.
Orkney is full of photo opportunities, but you do need some sunshine.
Wish you all the best, hope we get to see some of your pics when you return.
Colin

Tugmistress
05-Oct-07, 19:38
Isn't there somewhere a whale bone jaw or something that has a fantastic view behind it? i seem to remember seeing a pic posted on here ages ago of it but i can't find it :(

Martin England
05-Oct-07, 22:18
Many thanks Seabird (colin) Some graet places you have mentioned, i will check out and hope to get some pictures. As soon as i get back i intend to finnish setting up my web site and will post pictures from trip. If im allowed i will post a link here. (not sure if im permited to link on here).

Tugmistress very interesting love to know more

OK heres hoping for good weather, sailing from gills in morning.

Martin

Riffman
05-Oct-07, 22:55
Good place to look:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/orkney.html