PDA

View Full Version : McKay family from Tongue parish

pamela fayle
27-Sep-07, 06:51
I'm wondering if anyone can help me fill in some gaps in one of my families... I have the parents: Andrew McKay and Margaret (nee McPherson) who married in 1858 and lived in Achtoty in Tongue parish until Margaret's death in 1920. They had the following children: Donald (24/5/1861) who died as a young boy in 1869; William Hugh (1/8/1863); Alexander (13/9/1865); John A (c1867); Donald George (11/6/1870); Andrew (23/3/1874); George (c1877) and finally a girl Mary Jess (c1882).I have found the family in the 1881 and in 1891 census (William, John and Donald George had left home by then).
I have tracked WIlliam who married an Elizabeth (don't know her maiden name) and had three boys but I have lost him after the 1901 census (ie can't find his death). I can't trace John or Donald George after the 1881 census and have not been able to trace Andrew or George after 1891. I found Mary Jess in Edinburgh where she married Hugh Gunn in 1906 but could not find her death either. I suspect Donald George might have gone to Edinburgh too because he was a witness at Mary Jess's wedding. Anyone have any databases or info that can help me?? (McKay is such a common name that it is costing me a fortune to try to track them in ScotlandsPeople).

stixie
27-Sep-07, 11:00
Most Mackays up here are spelt Mackay not McKay, it may not be the case in your search but i don't know any from this area who spell it the other way. Just while you are searching it may help you.

Also though Actoty is in the Parish of Tongue its a wee place in Skerray/Borgie between Bettyhill and Tongue, you might find something there.

pamela fayle
27-Sep-07, 13:46
thanks for this - yep I always check both spellings in the records and I know where Achtoty is but as I live in Australia it's a little hard to get there to check anything out. Various parts of related family lived in Skerray, Torrisdale and Bettyhill at various times and the rest of the extended family (on Margaret Macpherson's side) were mostly in Latheron parish in Caithness.
cheers