PDA

View Full Version : Wick to Glasgow 1890`s

mary helen
21-Sep-07, 23:20
Like many people, my ancestors came to Glasgow from Caithness in the 1890`s to find work.

I was wondering how they would have travelled having little money and several children.
What would their journey have been like? What forms of transport would have been available to them?
I am sure the roads would not have been too good and the journey long.

Anyone have any ideas?
Mary Helen

fred
22-Sep-07, 23:01
Like many people, my ancestors came to Glasgow from Caithness in the 1890`s to find work.

I was wondering how they would have travelled having little money and several children.
What would their journey have been like? What forms of transport would have been available to them?
I am sure the roads would not have been too good and the journey long.

Anyone have any ideas?
Mary Helen

I would think they'd go by train.

htwood
23-Sep-07, 01:46
Hi Fred, would you know about transport south in the 1860's? Was train service running then. Thanks. -H

Torvaig
23-Sep-07, 08:21
Hi Fred, would you know about transport south in the 1860's? Was train service running then. Thanks. -H

The railway didn't come to Caithness until the 1870s. Transport south before then would be by carriage I would think.

Torvaig
23-Sep-07, 08:24
Ah, here is the llink I was looking for!:Razz
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=19619
Hope this of use to you.....

fred
23-Sep-07, 09:28

No train then.

Yes I do know a bit about travelling south in that period thanks to an excellent account by Robert and John Naylor of their journey from John O'Groats to Lands End in 1871.

It is available on the internet at http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/robert-naylor-and-john-naylor/from-john-ogroats-to-lands-end-514/page-14-from-john-ogroats-to-lands-end-514.shtml

htwood
23-Sep-07, 16:36
Thank you Torvaig and Fred. This fills in some blanks about what my grannie might have experienced going south in 1861. I've sometimes wondered how she felt going over the Ord for the first (and last) time. -H