PDA

View Full Version : Rally Driver Colin Macrae Killed in Helicopter Crash

Camel Spider
15-Sep-07, 22:44
Link .. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

His young son was also onboard.

He was a pleasure to watch in the car and entertaining out of it, Scotland has lost a sporting great, condolences to his wife and daughter.

carasmam
15-Sep-07, 22:48
It wasn't confirmed on the BBC news just now and I had hoped it wasn't him. So sad, he was my hero :~(

tenabowla
15-Sep-07, 22:48
Seriously sad news, he was one of Scotlands great sports drivers.

sam
15-Sep-07, 22:49
How very tragic, he was such a decent down to earth guy what a shame for his wfe to lose both him and their child both at such a young age :~(

corgiman
15-Sep-07, 22:56
What a terrible tragedy. Terrible news for the families involved.

lynne duncan
16-Sep-07, 00:33
A great sportsman will be sorely missed, our condolences to the family

TRUCKER
16-Sep-07, 07:36
Yes it is a shame he was a down to earth world champion.terrible news for the families involved.

highlander2222
16-Sep-07, 07:47
What a tragedy R I P colin

johno
16-Sep-07, 09:50
just read about it in the papers. very, very sad. Colin his young 6Year old son Johnny and perhaps another passenger.

Royster1911
16-Sep-07, 09:54
This is very sad to hear. R.I.P.

ashaw1
16-Sep-07, 11:06
Can't believe it. He does such a dangerous sport for a living and dies like that. He will be greatly missed.

Bobinovich
16-Sep-07, 11:23
Such was his stature in the sport that he was the only rally driver I could actually recognise - he was a Scottish sporting legend and my thoughts go out to his family.

golach
16-Sep-07, 11:37
So sorry to hear of the death of Colin.
But what is it about the Borders area and racing stars who get killed in helicopter accidents?
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=950&id=826322003 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=950&id=826322003)

Rheghead
16-Sep-07, 11:58
A sad day indeed, my thoughts are with his family.:(

Ash
16-Sep-07, 12:14
its such a horrible accident

thoughts to his family:~(

mareng
16-Sep-07, 12:16
It wasn't confirmed on the BBC news just now and I had hoped it wasn't him. So sad, he was my hero :~(

I almost posted on another site, that it would be a tragic loss if it was confirmed to he Colin (and son)............ but had a think and decided it was a tragic loss....... no matter who was on the flight.

karia
16-Sep-07, 13:25
I almost posted on another site, that it would be a tragic loss if it was confirmed to he Colin (and son)............ but had a think and decided it was a tragic loss....... no matter who was on the flight.

Hear, Hear, mareng...Well said!

Karia

nanoo
16-Sep-07, 15:32
So sorry to hear the news about Colin McCrae. He will be greatly missed. Condolences go to his family, also the family of his friend, who lost his life as well and that of his child as well.

carasmam
16-Sep-07, 18:08

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that it was any less of a tragedy if Colin wasn't involved. I just made a quick post while I was passing through. :~(

Thumper
16-Sep-07, 18:12
It truely is a sad loss and such a waste of these young lives,it really oes make you wonder why these things happen especially to children>Thoughts are with all the families x

hammers
16-Sep-07, 18:15

Come on Mareng,give the nit picking a rest,i think we all know how it was intended to come across.

Ricco
16-Sep-07, 18:20
Sad, very sad. Such a pity.

Valerie Campbell
16-Sep-07, 18:30
Very, very sad news. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time. There must be a jinx on Subaru just now. His former boss Dave Richards was in a helicopter crash this afternnon on his return from the Belgian Grand Prix but luckily he and his wife walked away. Just wish the 4 in the McRae one had done the same.

percy toboggan
16-Sep-07, 21:48
Tragic news, especially for the children involved. How could they know the risks? I wouldn't board a helicopter for all the tea in China quite frankly.
A mode of transportation to be avoided. With all the aerodynamic qualities of a tumble dryer and, if you follow these things closely, an unenviable safety record. With these contraptions people die in twos, three and fours and not in their hundreds. However one incidence of a fatal crash is still one incidence of a fatal crash and there are far too many pro-rata.

telfordstar
16-Sep-07, 21:58
this is so sad my heart goes ut to his family esp his wife and daughter truly tragic:~(

Camel Spider
16-Sep-07, 23:15
There is a condolence thread running on his website, I just hope that BOTH families involved in this tragedy find the strength they will need for the future .. http://www.colinmcrae.com/condolences.asp .. thanks for the memories Colin.

Colin was someone I genuinely followed when he was driving and many a happy hour was spent watching him on the edge, rallying for me wasnt the same after he left the WRC.

His friend and rival Richard Burns was lost through illness to us not so long ago, why do I just get the feeling that Colin will be challenging him to a lap of heaven soon ??

northener
17-Sep-07, 00:46
I wouldn't board a helicopter for all the tea in China quite frankly.
A mode of transportation to be avoided. With all the aerodynamic qualities of a tumble dryer and, if you follow these things closely, an unenviable safety record. With these contraptions people die in twos, three and fours and not in their hundreds. However one incidence of a fatal crash is still one incidence of a fatal crash and there are far too many pro-rata.

Percy,
It may be worth pointing out that this thread is about a tragic crash.

Not your opinions on helicopter transport.

There's a time and a place for everything, here isn't the time or place for safety opinions.

Please feel free to start a seperate thread on helicopter safety and I will be more than happy to discuss.

JammyDodger69
17-Sep-07, 09:36
Really feel like the rally world has lost out on an excellent driver and all round guy, it's sad when these things happen and my thoughts are with everyone thats been effected by this accident.

It's scary to think how easy these things happen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6997784.stm