PDA

View Full Version : vandalism up my street again!

brandy
02-Sep-07, 15:58
well, i got to be the victim of vandalismn last night!
my car the neighbors car and one around the corner was so nicley scratched .
mine was the whole drivers side as was the neighbors but the one round the corner was really bad.. bonnet and sides.. and that car is black..
police were very quick to respond to my call.. took all our details and went door to door asking peeps if they saw anything.
but honestly told us that it would be unlikley to catch them.. but if they did they would let us know.. and as soon as i found out how much damage was done and the cost of repairs to let them know as then they would be able to prosecute and try and get damamges if they caught the culprit.
thanks to the police station for being so speedy to reply and very nice. even though its not a big incident. heres hoping they catch the so and so's even though i wont hold my breath!

ohhh was asked if anyone had it out for me.. (not in thouse exact words) but much the same.. i said not that i know of! *grins* ok which orger has it out for me!!! *winks* just kidding by the way!

Ash
02-Sep-07, 16:01
well, i got to be the victim of vandalismn last night!
my car the neighbors car and one around the corner was so nicley scratched .
mine was the whole drivers side as was the neighbors but the one round the corner was really bad.. bonnet and sides.. and that car is black..
police were very quick to respond to my call.. took all our details and went door to door asking peeps if they saw anything.
but honestly told us that it would be unlikley to catch them.. but if they did they would let us know.. and as soon as i found out how much damage was done and the cost of repairs to let them know as then they would be able to prosecute and try and get damamges if they caught the culprit.
thanks to the police station for being so speedy to reply and very nice. even though its not a big incident. heres hoping they catch the so and so's even though i wont hold my breath!

ohhh was asked if anyone had it out for me.. (not in thouse exact words) but much the same.. i said not that i know of! *grins* ok which orger has it out for me!!! *winks* just kidding by the way!

brandy i feel so sorry for you, these things just keep happening! its not fair, i can imagine it wont be cheap to fix the damage. hope they are caught!

percy toboggan
02-Sep-07, 16:22
I'm also sorry for your mis-fortune. Take some heart in that this probably was not personal but just a nasty, random malicious act by some sub-human low life who does not like other people having possessions. These kind of people are morally bankrupt. It's also probable that if caught and confronted, they would cower and become snivelling cowards loose of bowel control and with tear filled eyes. Such reaction need not deter anyone from wreaking revenge upon such verminous examples of humanity. Go in with the boot, just once or twice. Unless of course you want to take the legal route, and see the wretch counselled, coddled and understood by those who rank even lower than he on the scale of human worth.

brandy
02-Sep-07, 17:01
ohh bless! *laughs* that brought a tear to my eye!
thankfully im one of those that take it wtih a grain of salt!
when the ploice asked what my initial reaction was i told him .. oh crap.. this sucks.. until i saw my neighbors car... which is well loved!! and i know she is gonna freak.. and hers looks visibly worse than mine as its a dark color...
and then i thought.. well.. mines not too bad as its silver and not as visible..
but still.. its gonna cost loads to fix.. been advised to take it up to the airport and have it appraised before i call and claim for it so will do that.
its just a zafira but its my car, and the only one we have.. and cant afford to fix it everytime someone feels like having a go!
grrrrrr... figured it was some drunk look thinking they were having fun!

saxovtr
02-Sep-07, 17:02
theres a good few hundred worth of damage there,hope they get caught

nanoo
02-Sep-07, 17:14
Yep, the police called at our door too. Sadly we could not help, actually the street was pretty qiuet last night (or so i thought) unless it was done after people were in bed. Yes Brandy, they would ask if some body has it in for you because they always ask us when we report the door being booted. I'm sorry to say the time of the muppet brigade is rapidly approaching again, and all because we live at the end of the street we are made to suffer their intolerable brainless antics for the next six months.:(

johno
02-Sep-07, 17:14
Hi , i recall when i was just visting Wick years ago i had a nearly new cavalier. i parked in the street overnight , in the morning there was this deep scratch in the front passenger wing. Ok i thought, so these things happen & i was here for a week. My mate do,es car painting so we got the paint and he fixed it a few days later. Now working on the assumption that lightning wont strike the same place twice ,i parked the car in the same spot. where i usually park and was going back down the road early next morning. Wrong, when i went to the car the next morning the exact scratch was back in the exact place ,just like it had never been fixed. Funny thing, about fifteen years later at a party a relative of my wife got stoned and bragged about what he had done.
Funny how things come out. But i reckon your vandalism is random and doubt if you,ll ever find out who the low life was like i found out. pity it was to late though. Thing being though i myself was never that jealous
of anyone to sink that low. [disgust]

JAWS
02-Sep-07, 17:17
I can understand a thief, I know it's wrong and they shouldn't do it, but at least they get something tangible out of it. Vandals are a completely different kettle of fish.
It is something I have never been able to come to terms with, I have never seen the point of it. I can only think that those who do it have never grown out of the baby habit of screaming the house down and smashing another kid's toy just because they can't play with it.

cuddlepop
02-Sep-07, 17:23
On Brandy thats awful.I do hope they catch these culprits but somehow I have my doubts.
There needs to be proper deterents to stop this mindless vandalism.Our cummunity centre windows got smashed last weekend along with some buses and road signs.Its common knowledge whose to blame but the other "kids" wont grass their mate in.:roll:

horseman
02-Sep-07, 20:38
I'm also sorry for your mis-fortune. Take some heart in that this probably was not personal but just a nasty, random malicious act by some sub-human low life who does not like other people having possessions. These kind of people are morally bankrupt. It's also probable that if caught and confronted, they would cower and become snivelling cowards loose of bowel control and with tear filled eyes. Such reaction need not deter anyone from wreaking revenge upon such verminous examples of humanity. Go in with the boot, just once or twice. Unless of course you want to take the legal route, and see the wretch counselled, coddled and understood by those who rank even lower than he on the scale of human worth.

Whats with the big WHOOSH,?its a pigging scratched car!
No guns no knives no gangs.-we -presumably-have all suffered this I know me an family have-its upsetting but not a 'go in with the boot'situation,that should be reserved for personal family encounters- least thats my miserable view.

brandy
02-Sep-07, 20:41
its happened a few times on our street.. just the first time its happened to me. would be nice to catch the badness that caused the trouble, and get them charged... but what can you do?
we cant even put cameras up ourselves as its a public street and you are not allowed to have cctv pointed onto public property.. i could have it pointed to my door but thats about it.

Anne x
02-Sep-07, 20:54
these things dont just happen in caithness although its a shock when you hear about it reading Courier and Groat as I do every week there appears to be a appeal every edition for car vandalism

I live in a very quiet suburb of Aberdeen in a quiet cul de sac 12 houses and its happening here with private driveways to our houses

pride and joy (husbands) car gets scratched and next door neighbour a young couple with more to pay for than paint repairs to there car is it a drink related prank thing or pure vandalism ?

I dont know !!!

My Car was parked away from house in communal parking and our visitors this weekend car parked alongside

So did they Dare each other to run up drive and do damage to what end ??

Loafer
02-Sep-07, 21:00
Whats with the big WHOOSH,?its a pigging scratched car!
No guns no knives no gangs.-we -presumably-have all suffered this I know me an family have-its upsetting but not a 'go in with the boot'situation,that should be reserved for personal family encounters- least thats my miserable view.

I hope you don't have your car tanned in the near future then. We had our window put in a couple of months back, and it cost us £50 for the damage. It will cost a lot more (I suspect £200 excess for Brandy to have hers repaired?). On top of that, every time we hear a squeek outside at night we are at the window to see if there are any goons about to repeat the damage.

No guns or knives maybe, but 50 quid doon the drain for me and many others around our beautiful county. It would have cost much less than that for the drink and/or drugs that the neds took on the night that they cause this damage.

Think again horseman before coming out with such an insensitive comment.

The Loafer

Phoebus_Apollo
02-Sep-07, 21:03
Mindless vandalisim is becoming commonplace in both Thurso and Wick...it seems that both the public and poilce are powerless towards the scum that perpetrates these crimes. I think as a society we should now prosecute the scum with a jail sentence rather than some "little slap on the wrists" 10 hr community sentence.[evil]

brandy
02-Sep-07, 21:04
yup my excess is 200.. im calling bremners tomorrow to get him to have a look at it and give me a quote before i call the insurers. see exactly how much its gonna cost me.. then outweigh.. do i want to claim it or just pay it myself.. as i dont want to raise my premiums if i dont have to.
which is going to cost more in the long run?
unfortunatly being a zafira its a big car.. and its down 3 pannels.. both doors and the side.

Lolabelle
02-Sep-07, 22:24
Hey Brandy, you want to borrow one of these to deter them?
Not much ventures near our cars, I wonder why??? [lol]

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/Garden_0002.jpg

Camel Spider
02-Sep-07, 22:35
Mindless vandalisim is becoming commonplace in both Thurso and Wick...it seems that both the public and poilce are powerless towards the scum that perpetrates these crimes. I think as a society we should now prosecute the scum with a jail sentence rather than some "little slap on the wrists" 10 hr community sentence.[evil]

How about instead of jailing the scum (which costs the taxpayer money!!) or giving them an Asbo (which probably just gives them a bit of Kudos and Street Cred with their mates) we make them pay back direct to the community by cleaning up kids play areas, pensioners gardens etc etc, or in the case of criminal damage they are made to work until the cash amount is paid back.

I would also make the lads wear bright pink boilersuits with their offence printed on the back in BIG letters. I dont think that they would look too big to their pals then. I would also make them wear big clown shoes as well .. mainly because it would be funny to watch them try to sweep a street or do a garden in them.

And to make this possible we should pass a law giving the Victim priority on "Rights" of any kind.

Just a thought.

jsherris
02-Sep-07, 22:39
They're great dogs, Lolabelle!

At least once a week, in our local paper, there is a story about car vandalism - it seems it's the local new craze. :roll:

In recent months, the highest number of cars involved in one night was about 34, I think at Lytham... there you have the nicer, larger houses.. alongside bedsit city & the council estate. A gang of young teens used bricks, bottles & boots to kick in headlights, windows, etc - it caused thousands of pounds of damage.

In April, a newly laid green was carefully rolled up & a car opposite was totally covered with the turf! And yep, I thought that whoever did it should have been dealt with properly & firmly.
Mind the photos of the car were absolutely hilarious in the paper - you could still see it was a mini - the headline in the paper was something like: April Fool Pranksters Turn Car Green..... media idiots!

Good luck with the damage, Brandy - as for CCTV - you can have a camera up as long as you don't point it directly at someone else's property, thereby invading their privacy. (You know, don't point it at the bedroom window of the young sexy bachelor guy across the street!)
You certainly CAN put one up & have it looking down the street at your cars! Best place to put it is inside your upstairs front window - then you can adjust it for where you park your car. Several of our neighbours have them, although I have been known to 'moon' at one or two on occasion - they do come in handy when there's an incident in the street.

brandy
02-Sep-07, 22:42
*laughs* they def. look more intimidating that this!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/brandy28655/HPIM1245.jpg

Venture
02-Sep-07, 22:43
I thought you had CCTV in your area now Brandy or am I wrong.

brandy
02-Sep-07, 22:46
i asked the police today and they said i couldnt.. as it would be on the side walk and street which is public property.
i could have it pointed at my door but thats about it.
which would be a bonus as i just had a great almighty kick at my door by about 3 teen boys.. one of them came back .. and said sorry.. it was one of his mates that kicked the door.. that he was with em but it wasnt him.
i thanked him for telling me as im still shaking..
but that i didnt appreciate it.. and i had two small children asleep.
and i would appreciate it not happening again.
just not my night

brandy
02-Sep-07, 22:51
they are putting one up at the one stop shop.. but its not opperational yet.
but cant see my street with it

jsherris
02-Sep-07, 23:01
i asked the police today and they said i couldnt.. as it would be on the side walk and street which is public property.
i could have it pointed at my door but thats about it.

Brandy - I think you need to talk to someone else apart from the police about this. In our little street we have one absolutely nightmare neighbour... he complains about EVERYTHING! Not to our faces though... he has the police & the council phone numbers on his speed dial!
In the past, he has given the council, the benefits agency & the police, tapes of things that have happened in the street. He has 4 cameras - 3 at the front, 1 at the back alley. Trust me, he doesn't miss a thing!
All the cameras face away from his property & are angled up & down the street - and at the time, they were positioned on the advise of the police!
Then we moved in... we actually bought our house off the 'neighbours from hell' & a couple of folks took their cameras down, but he still has his all up.
(One tape was sent to the benefits agency because another neighbour who was on disability benefit washed his car! His benefits didn't stop - he has 2 prosthetic legs!!)

By the way, I'm talking about HOME cctv here........

I have a meeting tomorrow & our local councillor will be there - I will double check with her & if our local bobby is there, I'll ask him too - in the meantime, why don't you double check with your councillor where you stand on protecting your property? I'm sure your cops are wrong about this.
Maybe it's me that's wrong & maybe our local guys are turning a blind eye because they know that security is a top issue nowadays?
I'll try & help find out for you.

brandy
02-Sep-07, 23:06
i would really appreciate it.. because if im allowed to i Will be putting cameras up.
im still shaking from my door being kicked.
we have never been victimnised before. and twice in one day is just freaky..
honest to God.. the pc is in the hallway and when they kicked the door it sounded like it was going to come in.
my heart is still hurting. i thought i was going to have a heart attack for a moment.. im not joking or exagerating on this one folks.. i feel like crying now.. it really really terrified me. i called hubby at work and honestly dont think i will be going to bed before he gets home.
the keying the car didnt bother me.. but the door just scared me badly.. imagine if it was someone defensless..

jsherris
02-Sep-07, 23:13
You're not defenceless, Brandy - but at the moment you are feeling vulnerable.

Events like this can be quite intimidating - especially when it's YOU that has to be the grown up.
Don't be scared in your own home though - I know it's easy for me to say. It's a shame that these lads don't see what damage they can cause just because they're showing off in front of their mates.:confused

I'll pm you tomorrow when I get home - about 3pm
Now go make a coffee, take a deep breath & relax - phone someone for a natter... there has to be someone who's up still at this late hour (well, we all are!) [lol]

brandy
02-Sep-07, 23:18
i made fudge earlier for the kids tomorrow.. just had a wee taste, for my nerves of course!
not completley set yet.. but still very yum

jsherris
02-Sep-07, 23:20
i made fudge earlier for the kids tomorrow.. just had a wee taste, for my nerves of course!
not completley set yet.. but still very yum
Hehe.... best start making batches of rum fudge.... at least you have an excuse, & that'll help the nerves!! [lol]

young_fishin_neep
03-Sep-07, 02:43
you can borrow my rottie for a while if you like, he soft as a brush until someone cums near the fence then people still have to battle past him to get in, am sure his slevers and big bouncy body would keep them away, if not theres always the german shepherd but shes not so scary.

hope this problem sorts out soon,its not good especialy when people have better things they could be spending the money on

kaz xxxxx

NLP
03-Sep-07, 08:30
Hubby had his works van scratched last weekend lucky for us they didn't touch the car, it seems every weekend someones car is targeted cant understand what people get out of doing it and that late at night it has to be adults who should know better.

dunderheed
03-Sep-07, 09:01
i may be wrong here brandy but i think the law is different from england in scotland and that is why the police have advised you not to set up cctv.
however it sounds like a strong case for neighborhood watch to be set up in your area.information on this can be pick up from the cummunity liason officer at the police station.

johno
03-Sep-07, 10:28
yup my excess is 200.. im calling bremners tomorrow to get him to have a look at it and give me a quote before i call the insurers. see exactly how much its gonna cost me.. then outweigh.. do i want to claim it or just pay it myself.. as i dont want to raise my premiums if i dont have to.
which is going to cost more in the long run?
unfortunatly being a zafira its a big car.. and its down 3 pannels.. both doors and the side.
Brandy. i opted for a policy with protected ncb. i,ve never used it yet. but if like me you have full discount it,s well worth the £ 15 or so extra........ peace of mind.

Ricco
03-Sep-07, 14:32
Brandy - that's sad news indeed. I agree with the 'boot' principle. When I was a kid you would never think of doing something like that 'cos you knew that anyone catching you - absolutely anyone - would give you a solid smack and no-one would defend you. Nowadays it seems that anything goes and is OK by the law.

percy toboggan
03-Sep-07, 16:32
A pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks are a fine way to protect oneself, family and property. They are fearsome dogs apparently. I know of one which killed a German Shepherd (dog) which, seconds earlier had bitten it's mistress (woman)

A cheaper option though is a forty quid pair of steel toe capped boots. These are guaranteed to bruise, or even fracture bone so long as ones legs are sturdy enough to deliver a state of the art kicking, should you be 'lucky' enough to catch someone in the act of damaging your property.
To say 'it's only a scratched car' is utter nonsense. For a start a 'scratch' is not a three panel gouge which will not 't-cut' out and anyway if it's a scratch today, then what will it be tomorrow. Eggs on your walls, or shattered glass?
If you are (forget your moniker) the kind of chap who makes excuses for these scuminals then you are a part of the problem.

It is high time for ZERO tolerance of vandalism, and graffiti, lest these scuminals who ar eprobably bereft of any moral code feel they can make lives miserable without any consequence to themselves.

This country (GB) has been let down by pandering mollycoddlers who make all kinds of excuses for two legged rubbish. Enough is enough.

johno
03-Sep-07, 16:55
A pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks are a fine way to protect oneself, family and property. They are fearsome dogs apparently. I know of one which killed a German Shepherd (dog) which, seconds earlier had bitten it's mistress (woman)

A cheaper option though is a forty quid pair of steel toe capped boots. These are guaranteed to bruise, or even fracture bone so long as ones legs are sturdy enough to deliver a state of the art kicking, should you be 'lucky' enough to catch someone in the act of damaging your property.
To say 'it's only a scratched car' is utter nonsense. For a start a 'scratch' is not a three panel gouge which will not 't-cut' out and anyway if it's a scratch today, then what will it be tomorrow. Eggs on your walls, or shattered glass?
If you are (forget your moniker) the kind of chap who makes excuses for these scuminals then you are a part of the problem.

It is high time for ZERO tolerance of vandalism, and graffiti, lest these scuminals who ar eprobably bereft of any moral code feel they can make lives miserable without any consequence to themselves.

This country (GB) has been let down by pandering mollycoddlers who make all kinds of excuses for two legged rubbish. Enough is enough.
well said Percy. this country has gone down the soft option path to far.
but an awful lot of this could be stopped by the parents. [disgust]

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 17:03
totally agree with you there johnno!My kids aren't angels and god knows there have been times that I could just shut myself in a cupboard rather than have to deal with their arguements but woe betide them if they ever got caught doing something like this I would skin them alive.My car is my pride and joy and my son accidently scratched it a few weeks ago....he got a right mouthful and I didn't speak to him for days and that truely was an accident!Pity help anyone who did it on purpose to my car if I got a hold of them [evil] x

johno
03-Sep-07, 18:33
And as for putting up cameras, i dont think that, that,s against the law i can take you to several places around the town where you can plainly see them, In fact one person i know had been getting so much hassle from an ex boyfriend that the police advised her to set up a camera.:confused

jsherris
03-Sep-07, 19:25
OK, I have had a chat with a few people here today & the UK (not english - scotland is covered too) law is that you CAN put a camera inside your property, looking out into the street.
You CANNOT direct it at someone's front door, or directly into someones window - you CAN direct it at your car, or your path & garden.
If your neighbour's path is in direct line with the camera as well, you SHOULD inform them that you have a camera pointed at it.
You CANNOT video images & then post these on websites, or show them to the general public unless you ensure anonymity of anyone on the video.
You CAN pass the videos onto the police.
You MUST make sure that the recordings are either properly destroyed or you can tape over them again - you CANNOT dispose of them in a manner where they could be salvaged by someone else.
All this is because of the Data Protection Act, so as long as you're not getting all your mates round on a Monday night to show them Joe Bloggs visiting Mrs Smith on a Friday night while her hubby is at work, you'll be ok! [lol]

I hope that sort of helps Brandy - our local bobby even had the girl at the station call the Edinburgh police to double check... he's from Edinburgh but came to us 2 yrs ago - so, all you need now is a security camera & the rig up to pop it onto your TV or even your PC!

Happy viewing ;)

connieb19
03-Sep-07, 19:47
I remember a local court case not too long ago where someone had cctv proof when their car was vandalised, they weren't allowed to use it as proof in court so it's probably a waste of time.

jsherris
03-Sep-07, 19:57
I remember a local court case not too long ago where someone had cctv proof when their car was vandalised, they weren't allowed to use it as proof in court so it's probably a waste of time.
A lot of public CCTV isn't allowed in courts either - but for the homeowner as peace of mind and proof to the police, I think it could be quite valuable.
In a lot of cases, the CCTV isn't needed in court in the first place.
Hypothetically: The offender is apprehended....
Cop: Did you do it?
Yob: NO
Cop: Did you do it?
Yob: No
Cop: Watch this video..... Did you do it?
Yob: Well yeah, that was me....
In that type of case the CCTV isn't needed then, as they plead guilty. When it's grainy or they have a hoody, or they are not clear & still deny it, then it's not allowed in court - also if someone else is involved & doesn't give permission - oh heaps of other reasons, but if you do use one, then at least you're trying to help the cops catch the bad guys.
And it's about time we caught more bad guys, instead of letting them get away with it, I think.

cyberman
04-Sep-07, 12:17
It would have cost much less than that for the drink and/or drugs that the neds took on the night that they cause this damage
The Loafer

The above quote was posted by LOAFER, which I find quite offensive to people out there who are teenagers or young adults who are all being branded with the same name, and it would come from a childless man.

I have to say if the communities were realy looking afte there own they would provide places that they can hang out without getting moved on, or branded as you have done here.

cuddlepop
04-Sep-07, 16:42
I have to say if the communities were realy looking afte there own they would provide places that they can hang out without getting moved on, or branded as you have done here.
The problem with places for the kids to hang out is that they'd have to be open in the wee small hours as this tends to be the times when the majority of vandalism takes place.:confused

cyberman
04-Sep-07, 17:48
Who is to say that the damage being done is kids, young adults etc, and why do people always assume.

And another thing to add fuel to the fire, if the kids are out in the wee small hours why are the parents not controling them?

You cant put all the blame on the Young Community

lady penelope
04-Sep-07, 18:14
I'm sure you were not singled out. The 'usuals' tend to walk up your street at night. Why they vandalise I don't know, but it is not vindictive only mindless and showing off! Most teens parents would be horrified to know what their kids are up to. My 12 year old tends to hang about in his friends houses as his peers tend to be up to things!
I mostly know where he is and what he's up to
Hopefully when the CCTV is up and running the crime rate for vandalism will go down.

Victoria
04-Sep-07, 19:07
Hey Brandy, you want to borrow one of these to deter them?
Not much ventures near our cars, I wonder why??? [lol]

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/Garden_0002.jpg

I've got one of those you can borrow too!! ;o)

horseman
05-Sep-07, 00:37

It is high tsoe for ZERO tolerance of vandalism, and graffiti, lest these scuminals who ar eprobably bereft of any moral code feel they can make lives miserable without any consequence to themselves.

What an absolutely ghastley reply to my rant

percy toboggan
05-Sep-07, 06:33
What an absolutely ghastley reply to my rant

call that a rant?

Loafer
05-Sep-07, 18:09
It would have cost much less than that for the drink and/or drugs that the neds took on the night that they cause this damage
The Loafer

The above quote was posted by LOAFER, which I find quite offensive to people out there who are teenagers or young adults who are all being branded with the same name, and it would come from a childless man.

Did I mention any ages of the hoodlums involved? NO!! It was you that ASSUMED my friend. Neds come in all ages, shapes, colours and sizes.

The Loafer

horseman
05-Sep-07, 18:50
call that a rant?

Call that a reply?

percy toboggan
05-Sep-07, 20:01
Call that a reply?

A reply can be one word, though more likely two when one is ewplying to you
to you.
A 'rant' is rather more involved and if you really did consider your original reply to my points was a 'rant' then you must either be a man of extreme even temper, or not know what a 'rant' consists of. You have a long way to go. Might take a long time on a horse but I'm prepared to wait.