PDA

View Full Version : ASDA V sutherland!

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:22
No doubt at some point the asda store will get the go ahead in thurso,with highland council rubber stamping the application.I commend the chair of the planning group that opposed asda application.Thurso people need to acknowledge that there side of the county has always been more prosperous than the wick side.The best idea would be to build asda just outside wick,between thurso rd,and milton,on that piece of soggy ground.Cant think of too many people in thurso not working at dounreay,you guys have the money,where-as in wick theres no jobs,and very little money.Im sure a trip over to wick once a week wouldnt break the bank,and at least it would breathe some life back into wick.Dont be selfish. regards exwicker

Ash
01-Sep-07, 19:27
i for one dont work in dounreay nor do any of my family or friends, i dont drive, why should we have to get a bus to go to a town which has everything

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:32
selfish attitude,you could always pop down to lidls,or the tesco metro!

Ash
01-Sep-07, 19:34
tesco metro will be slightly more expensive as i find tesco expensive, i do shop at lidl but why shouldnt we have more variety

Bobinovich
01-Sep-07, 19:36
selfish attitude,you could always pop down to lidls,or the tesco metro!

And yet it's not selfish for you to expect people from the west of the country to trundle over to Wick on a weekly basis??? [disgust]

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:40
And yet it's not selfish for you to expect people from the west of the country to trundle over to Wick on a weekly basis??? [disgust]

Totally missing the point about breathing new life back into wicks economy!Wick dosent have the luxury of a major employer being situated next door to them,or call centres.

karia
01-Sep-07, 19:54
Ex wicker,

This isn't politics ..how exactly?

I personally, have no problem with politics ..it is, after all purely a documentation of the way we live our lives!

But please..choose the stance you wish to argue or defend and await a 'meaningful discussion'...

..Don't start up several different threads!

You do 'want' a considered response??

Karia

Bobinovich
01-Sep-07, 20:04
So just because the countys major employer is in the west you think we should be stuck with overpriced fuel and a weekly round trip to the east for shopping and to escape the fuel prices of the cartel?

Both sides of the county have their own economies - Wick has had a boom in recent years and I couldn't be happier for the folk there. They now have better choice and a number of big-name outlets. Even when Thurso gets its Tesco Express and if/when it gets a mid-sized Asda, people will still be heading that way to Homebase, Argos, et al.

BTW those from the east already have numerous - if smaller - employers. Dounreay itself employs quite a few from that side of the county. I do however admit that the county as a whole could do with more large scale employers to provide quality jobs - especially with the Dounreay site rundown over the next few years.

DeHaviLand
01-Sep-07, 20:07
If you're so concerned about the welfare of the good people of Wick, why dont you come back and make everything better for them. After all, you seeem to have all the answers. If you hadn't left, everyone would be well off by now.:roll:

northener
01-Sep-07, 21:20
DeHaviland has a very valid point.

It's no good bailing out of an area and then crying about the lack of jobs/investment/supermarkets/whatever. Who is going to create these jobs and invest in the county? It's always someone else's problem isn't it? Why not become part of the solution?

We can't all be business owners, but i'd like to see a few more peole who always complain about life up here get off their collective arses and start making a difference.

As for there being 'no money' in Wick. Actually, there's quite a lot. For a kick-off, there's a lot of people work offshore on the East side of the County.

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 10:09
I must admit I tend to agree with northener on this and before I get shot down in flames I have lived in Wick for a number of years and although I don't now I still think that your arguement is somewhat biased.Wick have the retail park and the large tesco, Thurso have Somerfields - soon to be small tesco and the coop and lidls so what is the problem with them having an Asda?I hardly know anyone that works in Dounreay but I have seen the buses coming from Wick through to Thurso and they are quite full of workers so if they didn't come from Wick where did they come from?Wick also has(or did have when I lived there) a lot of offshore workers and fishermen and all you had to do was go a walk along Broadhaven etc to see that a lot of wick aren't exactly destitute!I know that the same can be said for Thurso tho so I won't get into that particular arguement.It seems to me that you will only be happy if wick gets everything and Thurso falls into decline?So there then comes the question is it only ok for decline to happen when it's not in "your side of the county"? Thats my opinion anyway x

tip top
02-Sep-07, 10:28
ASDA is needed in Thurso for the whole of Caithness - if only for the effect it could have on petrol prices - Morrisons Alness 90.9p yesterday, Tesco Wick 95.9p. I would not like to think what the price is in Thurso :eek:

Max
02-Sep-07, 12:08
I am sorry exwicker that is just nonsense - how long is it since you've been in Wick???? I am married in to a large Caithness family all of whom are on the Thurso side and none of them (including me) work in Dounreay. Did you know Dounreay was on the decline - decommissioning and all that? Sorry I don't get your point at all!

exwicker
02-Sep-07, 14:30
Hi guys,im sorry i never replied to your valid points.i got called out last night to fix anIT prob at my company.Having left wick many years ago,it was on the decline then,no investment,and the fishing industry was non excistent.All i say is,lets breathe a bit of life back into the place,20 years ago,most caithness peeps didnt have access to a car,and as we all know,thats changed now.Let asda be built at wick,that would bring 100 new jobs,but better than that,get the local councillors to get off there collective backsides,and inverness led expenses gravy train,and find sustainable work for wick as a community.Im well aware of the dounreay situation?,but i say this,why you think all these nice new shops and infastructure are all in place?Many wickers do indeed work offshore,aint it sad they had to leave wick in the first place to get a job?..........ps ill reply when i can.

engiebenjy
02-Sep-07, 14:39
ASDA is needed in Thurso for the whole of Caithness - if only for the effect it could have on petrol prices - Morrisons Alness 90.9p yesterday, Tesco Wick 95.9p. I would not like to think what the price is in Thurso :eek:

99.9p in Richards on Friday

angela5
02-Sep-07, 14:51
99.9p in Richards on Friday

98.9p at Lochshell yesterday.:eek:

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 16:23
I have to disagree with you a bit there exwicker...you say isn't it sad that people have to leave Wick to get a job offshore so couldn't it be said the same for the poeple who work offshore that live in Thurso,Dunnet,castletown,Watten or indeed anywhere?Maybe its not a case of choosing to leave for work but of choosing to work offshore?Whatever way you try to sweeten it up it still looks to me as though its more a case of give it all to my side and to heck with the Thurso side after all who needs a tenabowlie with a job outside dounreay and a choice of shops?Maybe they should all stay at there side of the county and not go through to Wick to spend money at all then the people who work in the Wick shops would be paid off and the whole county could just go down the drain.....mmmn sounds like progress all the way there?

Tony
02-Sep-07, 17:50
Just because an employer is situated in or near a town does not mean the majority of employees live in the town concerned. Dounreay, Vulcan and even call centre workers travel from all over both Caithness and Sutherland and probably the same goes for other employers on the Wick side.

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 17:54
Nicely said Tony and exactly my point!I used to travel to Wick everyday for work and it wasn't a problem so maybe some of the unemployed in wick should look further afield for jobs x

Tony
02-Sep-07, 19:59
Many wickers do indeed work offshore,aint it sad they had to leave wick in the first place to get a job?.

The same goes for other parts but the main reason they choose to go offshore is for the big bucks and not because of lack of employment. Many Dounreay and Vulcan employees have chosen this path because of this and more will join them no doubt.

Mr_Me19
02-Sep-07, 21:19
Having left wick many years ago,it was on the decline then,no investment,and the fishing industry was non excistent.

Exactly. Many years ago. Wick isn't that bad now. In fact a lot of Wick is better than Thurso now. Its definately on its way up again.

Let asda be built at wick,that would bring 100 new jobs,but better than that,get the local councillors to get off there collective backsides,and inverness led expenses gravy train,and find sustainable work for wick as a community.

What good is having jobs that people don't want? There are always plenty of jobs advertised but no one takes them. I have a few family members who have taken jobs in Wick because there are none this end of the county and plenty in Wick. A lot of these are well paying jobs too.

What makes you think that if people don't want these 'good' jobs that they are going to consent to being shelf stackers?

Many wickers do indeed work offshore,aint it sad they had to leave wick in the first place to get a job?..........ps ill reply when i can.

Going back to the shelf stacker thing, would you rather do that and make £15,000 (if your lucky) or £80,000 on an oil rig? Just because they want a well paid job like that does not mean that there are no jobs in Wick.