PDA

View Full Version : Does your brain still work????

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 12:20
Showing off here but I've just had marked my first piece of academic work for nearly 30 years, had no idea what they were expecting and thought what I had done was pretty mediocre....got an A - 76%

Yahoo!

What is the most positive thing your brain achieved over the last week?

northener
01-Sep-07, 12:46
Using the bit of my brain that said:

'Sod this, I'm working too hard, jack it all in and make a fresh start - that's why you came up here, to make a fresh start!'

Well, that was about 3 months ago actually, haven't really used it since.

Making the fresh start in Sept, though.:D

paris
01-Sep-07, 12:53
Ive got fibromyalgia and part of it is short term memory loss. Can be quite annoying at times and very embarrassing. So my brain just doesn't work like it should any more !!:~( I'm only 47 but i suppose it must be like having senile dementia . Jan x

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 13:01
Hi Paris - I guess that gives you a different point of comparison, so what was your best moment in the last week???

Angela
01-Sep-07, 13:06
Ive got fibromyalgia and part of it is short term memory loss. Can be quite annoying at times and very embarrassing. So my brain just doesn't work like it should any more !! I'm only 47 but i suppose it must be like having senile dementia . Jan x

Hi Paris, we've spoken about fibromyalgia before....my GP just laughs at the very idea....:( ...so I may have to find another reason for my appalling short term memory. Although I do think he's wrong!

Today I went out just to buy a lettuce and limped home with three bags of shopping - got home -no lettuce! :confused

jsherris
01-Sep-07, 13:15
Hi Paris, & Angela - I really feel for you both - one of my closest friends has fibromyalgia too - sometimes she's in terrible pain with it & so miserable :(

We're on a few committees together, so she put a local fibro group together & got some funding, one of the members is our local MP who is also a sufferer... She says that part of the way she overcomes the memory loss aspect, is by attending all these meetings - she always has a pad & takes lots of notes, you see!

As for the good thing my brain has done this week......
I worked out that over the last 5 & half years, our house has earned us £230.77 per week in profit - there, that's why I don't work, I didn't need to! [lol]

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 14:07
Hi Paris, & Angela - I really feel for you both - one of my closest friends has fibromyalgia too - sometimes she's in terrible pain with it & so miserable :(

We're on a few committees together, so she put a local fibro group together & got some funding, one of the members is our local MP who is also a sufferer... She says that part of the way she overcomes the memory loss aspect, is by attending all these meetings - she always has a pad & takes lots of notes, you see!

As for the good thing my brain has done this week......
I worked out that over the last 5 & half years, our house has earned us £230.77 per week in profit - there, that's why I don't work, I didn't need to! [lol]

The trouble with the value of the property you live in is that is is not cash in your pocket - it is tied up in the house. Unless you have the kind of house that enables you to downsize and pocket the difference, the rise in the value of your home is matched by the rise in the cost of your next one! Or are you like my husband?? inordinately proud of how much he is worth DEAD!!!!!!!!

jsherris
01-Sep-07, 15:12
The trouble with the value of the property you live in is that is is not cash in your pocket - it is tied up in the house. Unless you have the kind of house that enables you to downsize and pocket the difference, the rise in the value of your home is matched by the rise in the cost of your next one! Or are you like my husband?? inordinately proud of how much he is worth DEAD!!!!!!!!
Good grief no, he's worth far more than that dead!
We're not looking to buy again until much later - he owns his mums house, so we'll buy again when the time is right - no hurry.
In Ireland, the rent is a fraction of what it is over here, so we shall rent for a minimum period (1 year over there) and hopefully sign up for the maximum term of 5 years in month 11 - it's an odd system, but it seems to work.
So in effect, we will be just the same as we were 6 years ago - in a rented place... but this time we'll have an ISA to help pay the rent! ;)

Julia
01-Sep-07, 15:35
I'm currently 'brain training' with that game you see on tv, I'm 38 and my brain age at the moment is 30 so I'm quite pleased, it was a lot older to start with so the training really does help.

jsherris
01-Sep-07, 15:40
I've not seen that Julia - is it any good?
Has anyone done the fitness age on the Wii yet? If I was any good with the controls, I'd have a go... I'd probably be in me 80's though!

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 15:44
I find the brain age thing interesting...I think my brain works better in some ways than 20 years ago and not in others. Ofcourse, anyone who does not know more now than they did 20 years ago has wasted 20 years of their life! (not an original thought, I know)

I look at some of my younger work colleagues and realise that I am streets ahead of them through experience and learning they don't yet have. But they probably have more energy.....

Bobinovich
01-Sep-07, 16:31
Mrs Bob & myself both do brain training (DS) and fitness (Wii) - she's definately better than me, but then she is a few years younger :D and has more time to practice :Razz. However my brain age is low 30s and my fitness low-to-mid 20s which is not bad for someone approaching 40 IMO.

jsherris
01-Sep-07, 16:40
Mrs Bob & myself both do brain training (DS) and fitness (Wii) - she's definately better than me, but then she is a few years younger and has more time to practice . However my brain age is low 30s and my fitness low-to-mid 20s which is not bad for someone approaching 40 IMO.
Good scores Bob!
In our house on the Wii...
Andy - 47... best fitness age = 24
Nikki - 17... best fitness age = 37! :eek:
To be fair though, it's just as much about using the controller as it is about how much energy you have... there agin, looking at Nikki, that score might be just about right! [lol]

I think in general, we tend to learn better as we get older, normally because we WANT to learn - for our work, our hobbies, or just because!
Plus of course, we're all very much wiser when we're older!
But one thing I've just noticed....

No-one congratulated Orkneylass!
Orkneylass... forgive me, CONGRATULATIONS!!
Julie
x

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 17:37
Gee thanks! Worth 30% of my final mark so now I will have to see if I can do better for assignment 2 as that contributes 70% of my final mark.

badger
01-Sep-07, 18:31
I have a terrible short-term memory and just thought it was me getting older. Wouldn't dream of going shopping without a list as would never remember the essentials but - how many times have I got to the shops and found my list is still on the kitchen table. Don't think this is anything unusual as lots of friends are similar. I save all used envelopes and have to write all my "to do" things down as soon as I think of them, or just keep muttering to myself until I can put pen to paper. And of course pen and paper by the bed for that 3.30 am thought.

Isn't this normal ? :eek:

jsherris
01-Sep-07, 19:00
Gee thanks! Worth 30% of my final mark so now I will have to see if I can do better for assignment 2 as that contributes 70% of my final mark.
Aww, good luck with it all - I found the 'new' way of doing things a lot better for me, I much preferred it than the old way of taking one final end of year exam - I'd forgotten everything from the first 6 months by then!

Anyways - what you studying?

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 19:02
I'm doing a Heriot-Watt university online course in Workplace Health, so my first essay involved doing a detailed risk assessment, referencing all the right legislation and guidelines, quoting related research etc...outcome? At work our ladder is too short!!!!!

cuddlepop
01-Sep-07, 19:21
Well done Orkneylass.

My brain just cant seem to apply itself properly anymore my first attempt at a Degree level essay resulted in my lecturer informing me that It was obvious I knew what was being asked for I just hadn't "applied" my knowledge effectively.:eek:

Lost the motivation now.

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 19:34
You shouldn't give up cuddlepop, your lecturer was doing a bad job. I had all sorts of panics and needed a lot of reassurance about what I was meant to be doing, and I got what I needed. the referencing thing was something I had never had to do before and I got really fed up with it, but must have got it right as there were no comments on it in the feedback ....my reluctance must have been a hangover from my original degree in English literature nearly 30 years ago when I prided myself on passing the course without reading a single literary criticism....I just wasn't interested in other people's views...such arrogance!

cuddlepop
01-Sep-07, 21:13
You shouldn't give up cuddlepop, your lecturer was doing a bad job. I had all sorts of panics and needed a lot of reassurance about what I was meant to be doing, and I got what I needed. the referencing thing was something I had never had to do before and I got really fed up with it, but must have got it right as there were no comments on it in the feedback ....my reluctance must have been a hangover from my original degree in English literature nearly 30 years ago when I prided myself on passing the course without reading a single literary criticism....I just wasn't interested in other people's views...such arrogance!
Without starting a fight about the UHI i found the on line support severly lacking.:(
If I'd been in work and doing my BA in Health I know it would of been so much easier.
Will stick to what I do best just now and thats being a mum.:D

crayola
01-Sep-07, 23:54
The trouble with the value of the property you live in is that is is not cash in your pocket - it is tied up in the house. Unless you have the kind of house that enables you to downsize and pocket the difference, the rise in the value of your home is matched by the rise in the cost of your next one! Or are you like my husband?? inordinately proud of how much he is worth DEAD!!!!!!!!I would have thought your husband of all people would have known that investing in a bigger house than you need during the early periods of house price inflation and then downsizing when the market goes flat and retiring to Orkney is the way to go.

I'm not surprised he's worth more dead than alive and I hope you don't get caught. :D

horseman
02-Sep-07, 09:39
I have a terrible short-term memory and just thought it was me getting older. Wouldn't dream of going shopping without a list as would never remember the essentials but - how many times have I got to the shops and found my list is still on the kitchen table. Don't think this is anything unusual as lots of friends are similar. I save all used envelopes and have to write all my "to do" things down as soon as I think of them, or just keep muttering to myself until I can put pen to paper. And of course pen and paper by the bed for that 3.30 am thought.

Isn't this normal ? :eek:

badger-I absolutely love everything about you.

orkneylass
02-Sep-07, 10:05
I would have thought your husband of all people would have known that investing in a bigger house than you need during the early periods of house price inflation and then downsizing when the market goes flat and retiring to Orkney is the way to go.

I'm not surprised he's worth more dead than alive and I hope you don't get caught. :D

Wow Crayola....you think I am married to a fortune teller? Statements of the obvious in hindsight are somewhat meaningless....and most people have less money when they are younger than they have in middle years. Most people cannot afford a big family house when they need it although buying a big place after the kids leave home has good and bad points. I have downsized for lower running costs and less maintenance, which will enable me to pay off the mortgage sooner - more than one way to skin a cat.

paris
02-Sep-07, 10:28
Hi Paris - I guess that gives you a different point of comparison, so what was your best moment in the last week???
Remembering to buy a new post it note pad !!! LOL janx

paris
02-Sep-07, 10:31
Hi Paris, we've spoken about fibromyalgia before....my GP just laughs at the very idea....:( ...so I may have to find another reason for my appalling short term memory. Although I do think he's wrong!

Today I went out just to buy a lettuce and limped home with three bags of shopping - got home -no lettuce! :confused
Oh Angela, that's so me . Really annoys me gps don't acknowledge fibro . Jan x

badger
02-Sep-07, 10:45
badger-I absolutely love everything about you.

Aw - shucks - nicest thing anyone's said for ages (blushing).

Had a thought this morning which I've actually managed to remember :) . This problem is universal - why else would practically every reality TV programme remind us what/who we're watching every 15 minutes. It seems we are able to hold the plot of dramas in our minds but anything else we're all goldfish. Property programmes are some of the worst, even Grand Designs. After every commercial break we have to have a resume of what's gone on before because, poor things, we can't remember [disgust] . Even radio has started. Listening to Matthew Parris doing Great Lives and half way through he tells us what we're listening to !! He actually says "You are listening to ....." and I shout back "I know what I'm listening to - you told me 10 minutes ago and I know your voice and you keep mentioning the subject's name. How could I not know ???"

Well done Orkneylass (sorry forgot earlier). Now that I couldn't do.

Moira
04-Sep-07, 00:08
Showing off here but I've just had marked my first piece of academic work for nearly 30 years, had no idea what they were expecting and thought what I had done was pretty mediocre....got an A - 76%

Yahoo!

What is the most positive thing your brain achieved over the last week?

Congratulations orkneylass - my last piece of academic work was marked a lot lower than yours. I considered it an achievement to exceed the "passmark" by at least 10%. What I submitted was mediocre by my own standards.

I've not achieved much positive during the past week.