PDA

View Full Version : Good old Custard Creams

nanoo
28-Aug-07, 12:32
did you read in the newspaper this morning that a survey has been carried out on Britains favourite biscuit. Custard Cream comes top of the list, but i was disappointed to see the Bourban Biscuit was polled 2nd last. I loved Custard Creams but I adored Bourban Biscuits and i still buy them. What do you all think.:lol:

Angela
28-Aug-07, 12:38
I'm very fond of Bourbons as well, nanoo, but I did love gypsy creams the best! :D

connieb19
28-Aug-07, 12:39
YUKK!!....... :p

angela5
28-Aug-07, 12:44
Maybe the next phase of this research should explore the eating techniques! Direct munch, dip in the tea, or lift open and lick the cream.

nanoo
28-Aug-07, 12:45
I have to say angela, yes i like gypsy creams as well.;) Choosing between custard and bourban creams however, Bourban is my choice.:lol:

Angela
28-Aug-07, 12:54
Maybe the next phase of this research should explore the eating techniques! Direct munch, dip in the tea, or lift open and lick the cream.

Always open up the biscuit and lick off the cream...except in polite company of course! ;)

Slightly OT - I've heard there's a compaign to bring back that deeply delicious choccy bar...the Wispa.....mmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhh! :D

angela5
28-Aug-07, 12:59
Slightly OT - I've heard there's a compaign to bring back that deeply delicious choccy bar...the Wispa.....mmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhh! :D

The Wispa bar first appeared in 1981,i couldn't eat enough of them....yum!
I'm glad after 4 years they are thinking of bringing it back. :Razz

connieb19
28-Aug-07, 13:04
That joke about George Michael and his careless Wispa has put me off them for life....:eek:

Ash
28-Aug-07, 13:06
my wee one loves custard creams, she always wants one before bed with milk :D

NLP
28-Aug-07, 13:07
I do like gypsy creams don't think you get them nowadays can't mind the last time I saw them in the shops.

connieb19
28-Aug-07, 13:11
I do like gypsy creams don't think you get them nowadays can't mind the last time I saw them in the shops.
I dont think they are Politically correct anymore. :confused

angela5
28-Aug-07, 13:11
That joke about George Michael and his careless Wispa has put me off them for life....:eek:

Oh, curiosity got the better of me and i goggled the above. Yuk! i see what you mean.

angela5
28-Aug-07, 13:26

'Romany cream' as they are now called.

Angela
28-Aug-07, 13:28
Oh, curiosity got the better of me and i goggled the above. Yuk! i see what you mean.

Oh dear. :( How embarrassing -I'm glad I wasn't the only one that hadn't heard that particular joke! :o

connieb19
28-Aug-07, 13:31
Oh dear. How embarrassing -I'm glad I wasn't the only one that hadn't heard that particular joke! :oAnd he had the cheek to say he was bending over to pick up his lottery ticket.
:roll:

angela5
28-Aug-07, 13:34
Guess he thought he got 'lucky' then.....:lol:

connieb19
28-Aug-07, 13:36
Guess he thought he got 'lucky' then.....:lol:Talk about hitting the Jackpot. :eek:

Angela
28-Aug-07, 13:38
There's always http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com if you - like me-enjoy the odd biscuit....looks like the Romany Cream is a South African invention....:confused

floyed
28-Aug-07, 14:46
Out of custard creams and burboun's, i would go for a custard cream MMM:D

I love wispa bars and cant wait till they are back not long to go now!!

*LATEST NEWS* The return of Cadbury Wispa chocolate bars!
We are delighted to report that the much loved and much missed Wispa chocolate bar (http://www.sweetieworld.co.uk/chocolate_bars/wispa/) is to be revived this year - fingers crossed for good. Cadbury has been influenced by the sheer strength of support from Wispa fans who have campaigned for its return. 23 million Wispa bars will go on sale. Watch this space - 7th October is Wispa Day at Sweetie World!

EDDIE
28-Aug-07, 17:13
I like all biscuits blue ribbin is my favourit but one thing you dont get anymore is cremola foam used to have that all the time when i was little.

nanoo
28-Aug-07, 17:42
yes eddie i like blue riband as well. Talking about cremola foam, i'm with you on that, got it loads of times as a kid. I hated the stuff eventually, if it comes back as they are trying to do, i'll give it a miss thanks.[lol]

percy toboggan
28-Aug-07, 18:23
did you read in the newspaper this morning that a survey has been carried out on Britains favourite biscuit. Custard Cream comes top of the list, but i was disappointed to see the Bourban Biscuit was polled 2nd last. I loved Custard Creams but I adored Bourban Biscuits and i still buy them. What do you all think.:lol:

In the very early eighties I used to deliver full loads of 'custard creams' to Kwik Save warehouses all over the country.

Did you know? - do you care ?- that a full load of c/c's weighed about three tonnes more than a full load of coconut rings? ! Well, you do now !

Angela
28-Aug-07, 18:33
In the very early eighties I used to deliver full loads of 'custard creams' to Kwik Save warehouses all over the country.

Did you know? - do you care ?- that a full load of c/c's weighed about three tonnes more than a full load of coconut rings? ! Well, you do now !

I certainly didn't know that, percy, but could that be because of the holes in the coconut rings? :lol:

Would a full load of polos weigh less than a full load of say....strong mints? :confused

...or am I talking utter nonsense here...?

Thumper
28-Aug-07, 19:39
I heard that they are in the process of trying to "find" the recipe for cremola foam as the original was lost after they stopped selling it.I loved the stuff and even in my early adulthood I used to drink it....with vodka in it ;) Back to biscuits now..are they really calling gypsy creams romany creams now?They were fab! x

percy toboggan
28-Aug-07, 19:45
I certainly didn't know that, percy, but could that be because of the holes in the coconut rings? yes, and and the cream filling - less air in he packaging too - coconut rings packed in a bag - c/c's in a packet.

Would a full load of polos weigh less than a full load of say....strong mints? :confused

...or am I talking utter nonsense here...?

Perhaps;), but it may also surpise you to know that a full artic load of diet coke weighs about four tonnes less than the regular variety simply because it has much less sugar in it !

WildChild
28-Aug-07, 19:50
My fav biccy has to be good old rich tea lol love dunking them in a nice cup of tea :Razz

Angela
28-Aug-07, 20:08
Perhaps, but it may also surpise you to know that a full artic load of diet coke weighs about four tonnes less than the regular variety simply because it has much less sugar in it !

My word, percy, you sure are "percy lite" these days! ;) A mine of fascinating titbits! :D

I'd never have thought of that -I'd kind of imagined if the volume was the same....the weight would be the same....but then I was always a dismal failure at science....

jsherris
28-Aug-07, 23:14
Here's a good way to eat a Penguin bar..... bite the corner off at one end & then the opposite diagonal corner..... pop one end in a hot cuppa tea or coffee & suck at the other bitten corner... keep going, keep going.... when the hot brew is all the way through the biccy, eat it - I dare you to do it in more than 2 bites - scrummy!!

dunderheed
28-Aug-07, 23:21
ah just like the aussies do with their correct me if i'm wrong lolab elle timtams

you beat me to it jsherris

Thumper
29-Aug-07, 08:56
Timtams are the best!Used to get them in Tesco in Inverness but for some reason they stopped stocking them.I hate dunking biccies in my tea or coffee but with Timtams I made an exception :) x

Mister Squiggle
29-Aug-07, 10:29
I can, with absolute authority on the subject, confirm that the "tim tam in coffee" method is as follows:

Bite each end off the tim tam, exposing the biscuit underneath all that gorgeous chocolate;
Place one end of the tim tam in your coffee with your mouth over the other end;
Suck as hard as you can until the coffee shoots up through the biscuit.The art to this is that as soon as the coffee is absorbed through the whole biscuit, the tim tam starts to implode, at which stage you have to sort of shovel it into your mouth in one fell swoop. Lidls were selling them for a while and finding a packet of tim tams in Caithness was one of the happiest days of my life.
The only other biscuit I really miss from Australia is the good old Anzac - lots of oats and golden syrup. My Mum can make Anzacs the size of dinner plates, and just as hard.

Lolabelle
29-Aug-07, 10:35

Eeeuuuwwww, how gross.... :eek:

mccaugm
29-Aug-07, 10:55
I rarely buy them but I love Orio cookies...I know that is sad. I cannot stand custard creams and only occasionally have Bourbons. I like digestives with coffee and Rich Teas with tea. I also, would kill for Jaffa Cakes....

The Angel Of Death
29-Aug-07, 13:23
I really miss from Australia is the good old Anzac.

I seen them in tesco the other day and was going to give them a try but stuck with the tunnocks waver they rock big style along with the teacakes i could eat a box of them myself no problems there are the daddy of biscuits !!!

dunderheed
29-Aug-07, 13:57
I rarely buy them but I love Orio cookies...I know that is sad. I cannot stand custard creams and only occasionally have Bourbons. I like digestives with coffee and Rich Teas with tea. I also, would kill for Jaffa Cakes....

you tried the new jaffas yewt? cranberry and something , it could be raspberry , we've got them in somerfields

coastown
29-Aug-07, 14:00
My favourite biscuit has to be jacobs lemon puffs, you still get them but they are not so good as they used to be, you know the saying once you start you cant stop.

nanoo
29-Aug-07, 16:55
hi coastown, yes i used to love jacobs lemon puffs as well, but like you i don't think they are as good now. Also, i would have killed for a wagon wheel biscuit, but now i can take them or leave them, i also think they should rename them go-cart wheels as they are much smaller. In fact i think i'll stick to the jammy dodger for now, Hmmmm Yummy. lol :lol:

poppett
30-Aug-07, 19:01
Sainsbury`s sell Anzac biscuits....lovely.

I like malted milk creams and nice creams too.

Thumper
30-Aug-07, 19:18
My favourite bicies are called cinnamon danish by a canadian company called Dare, you used to be able to buy a few of their products in Safeway but then the stopped taking them in :( now everytime somebody is going to Canada I beg with no shame for them to bring some home to me :) x

Julia
30-Aug-07, 21:17
Does anybody remember Milk & Honey Creams, they were oval shaped sandwich style biscuits with a hole on the top you could see the honey goo through, I'm guessing they stopped making them in the seventies!

I'm with coastown, you can't beat a Lemon Puff! num num