PDA

View Full Version : Caithness/Sutherland Walks

Loafer
26-Aug-07, 10:02
The good lady and myself love to go out walking but seem to have hit a bit of a rut where to go. We do various lengths, from The Kyle of Tongue (12 miles) to The Causewaymire windmills (5 miles) to Yarrows (2.5 miles) to Shell Beach at Groats (around 2 miles there and back) to Dunbeath Strath (around 2 miles).

Does anyone out there have any other ideas or even better still, some hidden gems????

Cheers

The Loafer and Solastar

laguna2
26-Aug-07, 10:07
Dunnet forest is a nice walk - but don't know how long it is.

H
26-Aug-07, 10:07
Hi Loafer

Try the VisitScotland site which lists a number of walks from in and around this area - they have also been categorised into moderate - difficult etc.

Cheers

http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/northhighlands/

Torvaig
26-Aug-07, 10:08

If yoiu can't find your way out, it is very looooonnnnnggg.....;)

Loafer
26-Aug-07, 10:42

Aye, we have been there as well. It is lovely for a short walk. Mind you, we did get a bit disorientated one night and it was dark by the time we got back to the car!!!

The Loafer

Loafer
26-Aug-07, 10:44
Hi Loafer

Try the VisitScotland site which lists a number of walks from in and around this area - they have also been categorised into moderate - difficult etc.

Cheers

http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/northhighlands/

Cheers H, wil have a squint through it.

The Loafer

elamanya
26-Aug-07, 12:20
try walking the old pony track from braemore down to berridale kinda hard going but a lovely walk

Tugmistress
26-Aug-07, 13:04
Why not just pick a spot and start walking? walk up the river banks, along the coast, anywhere :) it's great to get off the beaten track.

psyberyeti
26-Aug-07, 21:57
One of my favourites is to park at Balnakeil, walk across Balnakeil beach then follow the path to Faraid Head to the control tower.

This is a fantastic walk. There is the church to investigate first, then a beautiful empty beach, dunes with views of turquoise seas, a secret squirrel control tower, and then if you are brave enough to lean over the rocks at the end at Faraid Head you can watch the puffins.

Its about 2-4 hour round trip depending on how much you wander about. Then stop off at one of the local hotels for a good lunch. :cool:

erli
26-Aug-07, 22:29
The kids, the dog and I walked up Ben Braggie? at Golspie a few weeks ago, it was easy enough for my youngest as there is a path/road the whole way up. It took about 5 hours up and down but we stopped to pick Blackberries and have a picnic. I would reccommend it, we had the best day and the veiw was fantastic.